Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Further thoughts on Dystopia in Entertainment

I have my preferences/biases of course but there's one thing I wish more of them had: Literal Happy Endings. If you characters go through such a craptastic world, have them earn that happy ending. Have them bring light to that world. Somehow. What is that one term, Pyrrhic Victory? If the field is stacked with:

  • Seveneves
  • Aniara (Saw this on streaming once, dear fracking god, I though Seveneves was a downer, this thing takes the cake from that and crowns itself)
The world truly ends, written pretty well, but its a downer. (Like the whole world gets KO'd, suicide pills, the works, plus there's a fair amount of "Well I know who this is supposed to be" political or famous figure insert) Even if its well written, I need relief from stuff like this.

As in the type of dystopia made more popular across the board, then we should try to create things to counter balance it. In my own case its definitely genre/theme fatigue.

The muhahaha cartoonish level of evil in "The Boys" does not engage me. IE Homelander and the Plane, the Speedster Guy splatting that girlfriend. The way all of them act in that show and comic dials the deconstruction and absurd up to 11. All Supers Suck/Mostly Villains. Kinda like the setup for Reckoners (Good Guys no powers/ Badguys are Neos/Supers). With Sanderson's books, its def. aimed more at a younger audience though.

Watchmen, when done correctly, if that's your jam: Great! My main thing: Superhero Prose does have a buffet of things to read but its heavily lopsided into the "Grit of Marvel" over the "Optimism of DC"***

***Older style of both companies before the Great Woke Soapbox took them.

Ill still do my best to find more series and keep the Seeking Supers stuff going though. :D Because it's never a bad thing to find more books. Just want to widen the buffet. Cause everyone has their gold tier vs trash tier, sometimes it can even be in the same book.

I guess my biggest issues with Dystopia and what's considered "booming" at the moment:

  • Feels like its what most people are focusing in on to cash in on some other idea that took off.
  • It happened with zombies, vampires, paranormal romances. Now its on the forefront with harem/rev. harem, lit rpg ect.
  • The balance of "Got to make Money" vs "Passion Project." Most readers will be able to tell when you aren't engaged but rather are trying to keep up with the current horse race. Or on auto-mode. Its got to be a big thing on any writer's mind. To me at least. To maintain a balance of what you love vs "viable income." If that's the route you take. I don't think Ill go the full time writer route because I rather keep it a hobby. If that makes sense. It's my "funtime".
  • What made Watchmen work for people vs all the copy cats that want to ride on its coat tails? 
Trying to find videos or maybe even other blogs that might be able to explain it better. I suppose, in my own way, how I view superheroes color's my opinions greatly. I want the great big hope to shine in them. To be bigger then life. To lift people up.

Dad usually jokes that I'm a silver aged optimist in human form. He's usually right on target. It's why this book made me happy. The world is worth saving.

One Last Echo

Plus it has a bit of space in there. Yus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment