Monday, March 16, 2020

Trad Publishing



What gets to me the most with Trad: (How I see it.)

  • Most trad outlets don't feel like catering to a nerd lady like me. They want more JK Rowlings, Seanan Mcguires, GRRMartins, LKHs, Sarah J Maas types. 
  • The very blatant: YOU HAZ BAD POLITICS NO BUY MY STUFF TRUMPER!  In the 80s and 90s, even if some held these kinds of POV, they didn't go up to their customers and say, "EWWW! Stop buying my stuff you X-ism!" 
People and even those who bought books in the past will react with an equally explosive reaction: Ok, fuck you kindly, fine....Ill drop your books like a hot mess. Then watch the Hugos fucking hang themselves. Enjoy shoving that rocket up your ass you hacks. That award used to mean something, now its a clear indicator of who's books I should use as Toilet Paper during a Virus Outbreak, plus I imagine many SJW types feel the same way about books I enjoy. Because they don't have enough "X marks the Spot" diversity they love so much. 

Editors catering to themselves and throwing away tropes they personally disagree with. How will they know a writer will take off if they don't take chances. Baen takes chances. They don't disparage the customer when it comes to politics, they usually just go out and state: "Hey this came out. You interested?"



DAW, promote books based on merit, not check-mark lists you think will attract more unicorn readers. Good books will bring in people on merit alone usually. If the story is good, without political non-sense (IE SJW variety or Hyper Partisan POV) then Ill give the damned thing a shot. But they live and breath on the embers of a once healthy industry.

That pic above screams to me: We dont want white man bad here. We want "diversity". Even if its misery fiction about what people want to escape from but cant if they read our books. OH! You don't want X factor Talking Point Barfed out in this book? Well too bad, its gonna be everywhere! Progress good in any form! YOU MUST COMPLY!

WHEN I READ, 9/10 TIMES ITS CAUSE I WANT TO FUCKING ESCAPE LIFE FOR A DAY OR TWO!

  • Trad Pub is in love with Soapbox Misery Fiction. Mundane Manifesto to the max. Most only look at the dirt. 
  • Just because I have a vagina doesn't mean I am with a fucking hive mind that hates men. So much "Hear Me Roar" wahmen protags make me want to claw my eyes out. Fuck the Reys and Captain Marvels of the Book, Comic, Show, Media world. They are the reasons why people cringe when someone hears "Strong Female Character" nowadays. Most of Trad Pub loves these ill-gotten developmental retardation characters. 
Trad Pub used to be about merit a good amount of the time. Nowadays that reputation is tarnished. Really fun mid-listers are languishing while land whales akin GRRM get top billing. Because in that circle, those are a sure bet to make some sort of money for their publisher, but dear god....find new material.

It feels like most of them are just giving me lip service. And I hate that feeling. Many SJW infested trad corners create fiction that is dark, oppressive and navel gazing nihilism. Not interested.

There's Light at the End of this Tunnel though:

Baen and some others I enjoy.

We need more Jim Butchers, David Webers, Gini Kochs, D.J Butlers, Christopher Ruocchios, Django Wexlers:

People who care about telling a story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment