Friday, June 19, 2020

Gaming



I am trying to remember the last time I bought a game at a full 60 bucks.

Lately I've been working on pre-planning all my spending. Food, bills, emergency funds to get me through lean months. The hours at work got cut drastically after May 20th or so. I really need at least 3+ days at work to maintain what I can at home.

Cause outside of food spending, I make sure to pay my part in utilities, gas and for my med insurance, which is over 120 dollars now. I also make sure grandma has what she needs. I am glad I still have part time work at my job. The discounts on vitamins are especially useful in this day and age.

Guess the biggest part of all this: Are games even worth the 60 entry tag anymore? The last thing I got was in March, FF8 remastered from Steam. Most of my library is little indie games that provide story over graphics. What graphics they do are serviceable but its the writing that mostly draws me in. For the PS4: Star Ocean 1 remaster.

To me, I get more value from 60 bucks worth of books nowadays.

Big budget blockbusters are fading. To me at least. Even before the pandemic stuff I went to the theater 2 or 3 times a year. 

The last time I really spend any kinds of large amounts on money for games, when I was in high school and college. Way back when I had a job at Gamestop. Ended up spending my whole paycheck there far too often.

With so many properties a ghost of their former selves, its a silver lining: I hardly spend any money on it anymore.

Lots of places in my area have help wanted going on. Even a fair amount of shops locally within biking distance. Lots of opportunities for another part time job. To make the money stretch further. Sure they might not be 6 figure jobs but its something to hold one over until they can get back to regular work.

In the long run, I think books will be much easier on my finances than games. 

No comments:

Post a Comment