Sunday, August 23, 2020

A simple formula on characters



When I am reading stuff, what elements I care about:

  • The Story
  • The Characters
  • The Actions they Deliver
I don't care who they sleep with. That's not important to the story.

(Unless its a Primary Romance book. IE: The main hook or plot.)

Make me care about them through actions. Through virtues, through motivations. Do they want to protect their families? Their homes? Their countries? Their planets?

My secret to enjoyment? They don't have to be just like me. They just have to have traits that I can admire.


Do they have uplifting moments or arcs? DO they eventually redeem themselves through actions? Don't just promote fuck up flaws. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. More aspirational and heroic characters please.

More Stargate SG-1 types. The noble warrior. The honorable leader. The intrepid scientist. The sheer wonder of exploration.



No comments:

Post a Comment