Wednesday, November 25, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: MFE B1 Issue 22

 

Issue 22: What Price Dreams

 

            Eddie gave me the director's cut edition of the entire run of Captain Cosmos. What shocked me was Robin’s gift. A flask that fills endlessly. With whatever drink you desire. Grandma Ayeer had me pick out certain kinds of metals. Specifically from Earth. She made something that made Mom exit the room for a bit. I’m guessing it's some sort of special thing. Triplets are a very rare occurrence on Typha. As for Doc’s gifts. There was one left in the car. She wanted to give me that one in private. The public one made Grandma Murphy cry. It was a holovid combo of myself and Zach growing up but she also picked Dexter’s brain, literally to add his image into the festivities. To make it look like we had physically grown together over the years. As far as New Ashbury was concerned.—Eliza Murphy.

            Even if the world at large cannot know of my children’s bloodline just yet what Mother gave me indicated where she and father fell on that idea. Metals of Earth and Typha combined to bless all my children. All 6 of them. Each piece chiming together like a symphony. We usually don’t take down the tree for another 2 weeks. Those pieces will stay until the end.—J’ino Ayeer-Murphy.

 

            To say that the origin of Unity was broken would be an understatement. I know now why my brother had to deaden my empathy abilities. The pain of that place was horrid. Even with the buffer I never knew such suffering. What do you say to a gravesite of Trillions of Souls? A mere sorry doesn’t cover it. Excalibur did the only thing it could think of: Connect to the remnants of the Markav within that Weave, to promise that justice would be forthcoming. We also discovered more of the Omega’s plight.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

The Oort Cloud

Outer Regions of the Sol System

December 28th, 2103

 

            Dexter Murphy let the hum of space soothe his nerves. He turned as Eliza drifted near. They both worn simple jeans and shirts. This would not be a place for tech. It would be just them and their belts. White was tense. He could feel it through the Black. They were linked similarly to their Twin hosts. He placed his hands on each temple. His sister twitched as he muted her empath muscles.

Black stated, <<We are here. The Weave is thinner here. I can feel the pitch of those coordinates. Are you ready?>>

            Eliza nodded. Her eyes glassy as her mind reeled from the temporary loss.

            “May God walk with us in the dark places we must transverse.”

            Most times Eliza wasn’t in your face religious. She had a firm belief in good and evil. The Murphy clan had a healthy appreciation for the acts of Divine providence. In times like this Dexter took refuge in faith as well. To know you weren’t alone was a comforting thought.

*****

            Dexter’s belt wrapped around us both. The Weave’s silence was nerve-racking. Usually, there would be all sorts of feedback, magical or otherwise but it was utterly lifeless. I reached out to place a hand on my brother’s forearm. He wrapped an arm around me in response. I shivered. My feelings echoing with White’s. This place was unnatural. As we reached the other side, the Universe around us was devoid of everything. Stars, planets, people, nearly everything. I felt the eddies of Dark Matter brush up against me. That’s all that existed on this side of the Weave.

            My brother pointed, “Black senses one structure remaining. Near the center of this graveyard.” We hurled ourselves through the Void. Even the dark matter was slick. Leaving an oily feeling on my skin. 


 

As we reached the end I could feel ice encasing my heart. It was an obsidian tower. Something moved upon the walls. As we set down, a shiver ran up my spine. It seemed to murmur, “You aren’t welcome here. Go back.” I jumped as Dexter gripped my hand. I let out a half-strangled yelp. He positioned himself in front of me. I stared at his back. Things were moving against the walls. I screwed my eyes shut. A heavy pall of dread fell across my shoulders as we climbed upward. Even if I didn’t have to breathe I felt my lungs burning. I forced my eyes open as I sensed Dexter halting.

            Dad’s voice came to me then, “One step at a time kiddo. Breath.”

            I forced my muscles to relax. As he opened the door an ancient Markav drone floated towards us. Its iris flickering weakly. << The Last Recording. Last Will. Save Us. We reside within it still. Save us…..save….>>

Within the Weave of Unity Birth

Location: Last Bastion Remnant

Time Unknown

 

            The Omega Defender didn’t know who was here but it was a spark. He reached for it. The hum of the Dead clawed at his mind. With his last breath, he hurled the sphere outward. <<It is all I can do my brothers. It is all I can…>>

            His soul cried out in terror as the denizens of this place added him to their collection.

*****

            I caught the baseball-sized sphere out of reflex. Within I could see various Scholar markings. Black hissed, <<Do not open that here. Save it for later.>> I nodded. I placed it within my pocket. We saw flickers of data race across the screen. The Markav of this Universe had dived too deeply. When others saw the possibility of uniting the Leylines for good. For the prosperity of all. One person wanted it for themselves. The figure was faint. The data nearly depleted but one aspect remained. The eyes of hunger stared out.

            All knowledge is mine. The flesh. The Soul. The very lifeblood of the universe.

            Such a beautiful thing, my collection. My own. You are all mine.

            Such pretty things.  

            A sick feeling within made me shudder. It was the thoughts of Unity. This was the Devil made manifest. There was no other word for it.

My brother, using matter manipulation, made the drone tiny. Then he placed that within his pocket. As we exited the tower a low rumbling echoed across the stonework. Oily tar filled hands reached out, “Save us.” Dexter grabbed me and flew. So fast that I was dizzy from it. He kept muttering, “Straight on til Morning. Fly Fly Fly!” I had a feeling he could see things more clearly than I.

I channeled my dark matter sight. It lanced outward and filled the area with bursts of light.

            It illuminated the area long enough for me to stifle a scream.

            Things still lived within the dying embers of this Universe. Twisted and writhing. The Weave was no longer a boundary here but a soup of horrors. We came upon our bubble. Excalibur exclaimed, <<Wield me! I will destroy evidence of our passing! QUICKLY! BEFORE IT KNOWS!>>

            I pulled the blade from my chest. The Black assisting me. Excalibur’s brilliant blaze caused the entities to howl with wild abandon. A keening that pierced my soul. With one great swath of the blade, I cut off the entry point. That universe was closed off until we could find a way to destroy Unity once and for all. We didn’t stop flying until the heat of our Sun graced our faces. We landed near Pluto. Taking time to just collapse. That was what was in store for everyone if Unity, Thoth, or anything else managed to secure a victory.  Booted feet filled my vision.  Doc and everyone else had pulled Jupiter Rising out here to greet us. I saw Cooper float in. I buried my face in his fur for a moment.

            Good Boy. Best Boy. Heaven help us.

            Then we headed for the airlock.

As the air cycled through I found myself nearly hyperventilating.

*****

            Lorain Lanis checked Eliza’s pupils. They were dilated.  She brought both Twins to the infirmary. Dexter had his hands clenched. The knuckles were so white to be bloodless. When he saw his mother he picked her up. Putting his head on her shoulder. She patted his back like he was 5 again. Lanis put a private screen over the medpod. Eventually, her captain blinked then buried her head in Lorain’s chest. There were no tears but the trembling went on for what seemed hours. All Doc could think to do was to keep rocking Eliza until she came out of it.

*****

            Dexter gave Di’axi the Markav-U probe. His face still sick. “I could feel the brush of an Omega Defender within that cursed place. They aren’t there. Eliza has something that might help. I need a drink that can get me skunk faced.” The Scholar placed the probe within his special chest that Eliza had brought with her from the Omega outpost. There would be time to access that information later. It would have to be cleansed first. The magic within his chest would do that. It would take a while.

            He joined Alexandar Murphy with as many drinks as he could conjure. He had also been to that place. Long ago when the fires were still scorching. It still haunted him. But within that probe would be the keys to defeating Unity. He mixed a fairly strong drink. Imbued with his magic. He held up the shot glass and both men drank.

            They drank until their fingers numbed and they passed out on the table.

The ship’s galley chairs formed around them so they wouldn’t fall off.

*****

            I blocked everything out but Lorain’s heartbeat.

Her fingers were digging into the back of my neck as I continued to shudder.

I think she even kissed the crown of my head at one point.

            Thump. Thump. Thump.

            The mighty string of life.

            I eventually raised my head. Cupped her face.

            “I am never letting go.”

            I moved in and gave her a light chaste kiss on the lips.

*****

            Lorain wasn’t surprised by this. Everything had been building up to this moment but whatever Eliza had seen had solidified something within her. It hadn’t hardened her captain. It did the opposite. Through their Typherian bond, she sensed a flair to enjoy life to the fullest every day. Even more so than before.

Lanis attempted some humor, “Would this be a bad time to go out and punch a dragon or 5?”

            Eliza let out a strained laugh. “Or get drunk. Jupiter tells me Di’axi and my brother are plastered right now.”

            Lorian knew her captain though.

“How about a quick stop to the VR room? I still have to beat your high score.”

  She let out a series of giggles as Eliza spun her around the room. “Let’s go!”

As a 4th date went this wasn’t too bad.

*****

            As we entered the command deck my mother glanced at us. “Feeling better?” I nodded. Doc fixed her collar and headed to the sensor suite. Her makeup was as immaculate as ever. Her eyes gleamed with mirth. I put my hand in my pockets. The crystal ball! 

I asked, “Jupiter. Is the item in my pocket safe to open?” The ship replied instantly, <<Yes. The fires of a certain object cleansed the surface and you. Along with your brother. The probe had been there a very long time so Di’axi is taking care of that.>>

            Doc stretched and left the chair.

Satisfied with whatever was going on at her station. She plopped herself right into my lap. Brought up her personal HUD and began to read while we waited for everyone else. Mother shot me a rather old-fashioned expression.  With a start, I realized my empathetic abilities popped back into place.

Mom drawled out, >>How many sports metaphors should I use?<<

I blushed but replied,  >>I just… <<

She knew what I was holding back. About the Unity experience.

I realized she was trying to tease me. To see where my head was at.

I grinned, it was mostly genuine, “Getting there mom.”

She nodded and came over to ruffle my hair. She said, “Just behave you two.”

With that, the others piled into the room. Doc didn’t move and I didn’t make her.

 

            Eddies’ reaction was the most obvious, “PAY UP ARTHON!”

The Atlantian rolled his eyes but he grinned. Had everyone been betting on my romantic life? Mother came over to hand Lorain some winnings.

 I was equal parts horrified yet intrigued.

What aspect had she bet on anyways?! Doc put on an air of nonchalance and tilted her head back so she could use me as a pillow. Turning more holographic pages as she went. I gulped and swiveled in the command chair. Bringing one leg up to cross with the other. I rested on hand on Doc’s knee. Just to show them I wasn’t a complete dork out in the open and Di’axi even grinned. Placing some extra stones in Doc’s outstretched hand.  She had beaten an ancient being at some sort of bet.  I had a feeling I wouldn’t hear the end of it.

I pulled the Crystal ball from my pocket.

If only to get them off this betting cycle.

I flushed with guilt. They were just happy for me. 

Doc planted a kiss on my cheek. “Bingo.”

Di’axi translated the words for everyone else.

“The Signal was a ruse.”

I winced. Not good.

Everyone else grew quiet.

Without the Omega’s certain areas of the Multiverse would be at risk.

“The All-Father has my brothers trapped within the Crucible of Olam. The cage is set. I couldn’t find my way back. Only the Protector of the Crown is safe. Even the greatest of us: B’karis is missing.”

 Mom’s face fell at that. I cross-referenced the name.

B’karis of House M’tah. My grandmother’s brother.

Di’axi continued, “I cannot escape. I thought I had found an old Hegemony waypoint. But it was only decay and despair. Flee this place. Protect the Omegas. The All-Father wishes to corrupt the Chain, to let Unity find us. To Find Eden. Protect….”

General Whitehouse added, “Well that seals it. Gonna ask the Barracuda project to accelerate their responsibilities. Those prize ships brought back some oddities we are testing even now. Not to worry Di’axi. We are taking all precautions.” The Scholar nodded. I got the impression he knew what all the super-secret projects on Earth were all about. His voice touched my mind.

Indeed, I am the Host of the Void Line. Rest for now Eliza Murphy. You and your brother most certainly earned it today. Beyond all days in fact.

*****

                Lorain rested her head on Eliza’s breast bone. Even under the cloth of her sleeping gear, she was like a mini furnace. It was why Lanis didn’t need blankets. Like Eliza, she enjoyed listening to the constant drum of her Captain’s heartbeat. The doctor had learned to appreciate the little moments between sleeping and waking.

Augustus was on the other side, his little legs sticking up in the air as he dreamed. Cooper was at the foot of the bed while the hum of the ship echoed in the background. They were delivering supplies to the sol system. At various habitats and outer regions. Eliza still had to maintain the illusion of a regular NASA job. She smiled in the darkness of the cabin. It had taken a few tries but Eliza was an enthusiastic kisser if anything else.

            Lorain Lanis had plans.

            Ones that she hoped Eliza would share in the future.

            She buried her face in the sheets for a moment then turned to snuggle in closer.

            At this juncture, it was all the more important to offer comfort.

            Anything worth doing took time, love, and compassion.

Lorain Lanis was determined to succeed.

 

Argax Central City

Typha

December 28th, 2103

 

Trouble raised his feathered head.

He flapped his black wings to shake off a bad nightmare.

He could feel a tremor originating within the Omega Defender net. His brothers were still missing but not dead. But where had they gone and why? He had a feeling he wouldn’t like the answer. He knew one had died. He had felt the power return to the Whole. One day that belt would choose another to carry the mantle.

            A shadow fell across his sight line. He gazed up into the half-starved face of B’karis.

            The black-bearded Typherian groaned, >>I must get to Earth…warn…<<

            Trouble cloaked him in Omega energies. Guiding him to the King’s private medical chambers.

            He had a bad feeling about all this. 

Issue 21: Here

Issue 23: Here

2 comments:

  1. So when Unity consumes a universe the people in it can no longer die? They are cursed with unnatural life? They don't seem to be like Unity itself so somehow the souls are separate entities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a bit of a spoiler but Unity uses the raw material of his Universe and others its "consumed" to make more Living Stone constructs. The souls help fuel his desire for memory and knowledge. But yeah, a living Death. Which Eliza has to help fix.

      Those souls arent being reborn through their Ouros.

      Delete