Thursday, December 31, 2020

Still on A Kick: Endings

 

For games though? People expect to have a "gold" standard ending. Like with what happened with Bioshock. It was a darker setting but the hero still prevailed. Got his just reward for doing the binary "good option" of saving the Little sisters vs. Harvesting them for an overall minuscule personal gain. Its why I found the closing to Dune even more worthwhile than the closing of Children of Dune or Messiah. 


This game is a rare gem for me. Did everything very well. Even through my rose colored glasses. And it did all of this in less time than most AAA games.

Herbert was free to do what he did but overall, Its the first book I mostly go back to. If I want something more philosophical Ill read God Emperor. He didn't really get to finish his series so I can only guess on what would have happened with Frank at the helm there. 

Its why I am looking for things that shine bright. No matter what happens. 

Stuff that gives me that: (I keep trying to link all sorts of things but even I have favorites.)

It also has themes of heroism and family. 

Gonna back Yakov's new project when it launches. 


Because that's what I want. Bright heroes and heroines shining despite the darkness. Defeating evil. No slippery slopes. Something clear cut. 

Some will explore bad endings as the "what if" scenario. But I am not gonna lie: I want that diabetes ending. No matter the setting. I crave it like a woman on a chocolate kick. 

It does feel like people are finally getting tired of grim dark for grim's sake. It's just a matter of getting those readers active with their favorite books again. So they can discover people walking the same path.

Mr. Alex just got his 2nd sword and planet book out: Here

I'll be reading that soon enough. Another site I found, well after the fact: Noblebright 

Might help me find more wheelhouses that cater to more of what I want. Rather than the endless sea of GRRM/The Boys/Downer Stuff. Gonna go through and really make a list of Uplifting Stuff ala Uplift Protocol, Star Warden ect. Or at least the series that come closest to it. Because yes: I want my fucking happy endings. No bones about it. Honestly most of the last book, Sleeping in Starlight, will be one nice big denouncement/sendoff for the main sequence. Because I can. Just like others can have their fracked up GRRM infused stuff? Well I will make my Rainbow Bridge and give everyone Happy Ending Overload. 

Games I thought had excellent endings: (plus an option to show how your character won, got that gold ending, more should copy New Vegas as far as offering stuff thats the journey worth it. How you changed things, went off into the sunset afterwards.)

  • Bioshock
  • BG 1 (renounced a certain thing and went off on a sunset adventure.)
  • Fallout New Vegas 
  • Fallout 1 and 2. (2 shows that FO 1s Vault Dweller made their own community and eventually found love as well)
  • Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise
  • ME 1, good way to spring board while closing out threads from the overall first arc. Even ME2 had a fuck yeah ending you could get behind. 
  • Vampyr: Yes, you can get an ending where Jonathan's love saves his dear lady. (It ends on a very upbeat note if you manage to not eat any characters in the game/Combat doesn't count.) You gotta go through some things to get that ending but its just fluffy enough to make the sap in me happy.

How to do Bittersweet with a more Uplifting Beat:

  • SOMA (Had a similar bent to some of V's situation)
  • The Black Company. (Yeah, you will see what I mean by Glittering Stone. Then again Cook does likeable characters leagues better than GRRM)
  • Babylon 5///Not everyone makes it to the end but it wasn't hollow.

Examples of Shit Endings: (Railroaded, feels empty, like why the hell did I do this setup.)

  • Mass Effect 3 (3 colors of Death! ENJOY!)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (Unless some DLC changes this.) When you guys get there you will understand that even with the Nomad ending, its all very much BITTER sweet.
  • Fallout 3 (Before the DLC)
  • Fallout 4 *seriously, copy FONV. Even ME3 failed to do that with the extended cut. 

Can self sacrifice lead to a good ending? Sure. But when you are playing a game, you want to see the player character genuinely win.(Dragon Age Origins) Unless its an absolute Horror game. But even Dead Space has Issac win some uplifting moments. Esp. in DS 2.  

Cyberpunk infused stuff can have a happier ending. 


With GITS, the Major was also in a similar situation to V at some points. (Movies/Manga) and the writer managed to find a way to make that more satisfying. I recommend GIG and 2nd GIG as well. Irresponsible Capt. Tylor has good ending. Need to re-watch. 

This just makes me realize I haven't played too much recent things. I keep going back to stuff I know will give me an ending I want. Even Suikoden has golden endings if you get all the Stars. 

Yeah, gonna spoil people bad with all sorts of good cake at the end of Uplift Protocol. Its funny, even though I am writing Book 2 atm. I have all sorts of notes compiled on how Sleeping in Starlight will work. Yes, there will be Bardaxians and more ahoy! So many good things come to those who wait. 

As a reader I want to know that the light at the end will be there. Even if the characters don't.  

No comments:

Post a Comment