Thursday, March 18, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Mars Issue 11

 

 

Issue 11: Target Earth

 

            This is Typherian Shield World B’tara, anomalies detected in Utasa Sector 13321. Notify House Authorities on Flag Ship.—General Security Alert.

            They want me to what?! No. I was ordered to stay within the Orbit of Earth’s Sol System. The Houses Suggestions have no weight with me. The Commons back me on this. The Artock are suspiciously absent from their usual nests. My gut, as the Humans say, tells me they are headed here. They wish retribution against the race that’s being even more proactive than we are. I am ashamed to admit it. I will stand with Earth per my King’s orders.—Admiral Y’lansa’s communications to the House Authority.

            The Alliance took notice. The Commons of Typha alongside certain Houses were already invested within a Multi-Universal fighting force to protect all. Even those not within the Uplift range. Earth understood this distinction. One didn’t throw the baby out with the Bathwater because of a few malcontents on Odessen’s Flagship. I may not have understood their cursing but my mother sure did. We had to be careful. None realized she was pregnant because of the enchantments Earth’s Project Freefall Light Shamans worked into her suit. But unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to escape Sister Nyx’s cursed sight. She was made for cradle robbing.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Camp Osiris

Murphy Household

May 1st, 2104

 

            My mother’s amulet smacked me in the nose. Trilling loudly. The twin suns etched on its surface spinning within the gold, black and white frame. It was oval-shaped and kept hitting me like a demonic ping pong ball. Then pointing towards the door.

Repeatedly.  Insistently.

It wrapped around my neck, guiding me hurridly towards the main door of the house. Zach on my heels.

I opened it to find Grandma Ayeer standing there. A knowing smile on her face.

Looking for all the world like a stately elderly human. This time she had on jeans and a white shirt that proclaimed, “Ken’s Steakhouse.” I think she dressed like this on purpose when incognito. Gave her some sort of unrelenting delight.

“How are my favorite grandchildren today?”

Grandma Murphy called out, “All of our favorite grandchildren are fine!”

M’taris raised her voice, “JUST HOW MANY WE COUNTING ON?”

Dexter strolled downstairs with two chests. One under each arm.

He added, “An army worthy of Gondor!”

A flip flop bounced off his head. Moms of course. She came down after him.

Holding onto the rail. Just to be safe.

Dad didn’t wait of course. Floating down the stairs and scooping her up.

Zach poked me, “How many do you think Dexter will have?”

I responded, “A battalion. At the minimum.”

My twin flexed. Which was impressive while juggling the chests.

“A regular baker’s dozen with a lucky lady!” He sounded extremely certain of that number.

Mom’s giggles told me that this had been a topic between her and dad. A part of me was glad for them. There was a small voice of opposition in my brain. What could you give Lorain besides companionship?  Both of my Grandmothers hit me over the head with a rolled-up magazine and a newspaper. Simultaneously.  I blinked. Astonished by the choreographed attack. I didn’t even catch their movements. Lorain aimed a kick at my rear.

She didn’t sound angry. I got a hint of old melancholy from her.

Not at me or herself. Maybe because we wouldn’t be able to have kids.

She squinted at me. “Oh no, you don’t!”

She rolled up her sleeves. Another one of my shirts I noticed.

“I will do my official duty Captain.” I floated until I hit the kitchen ceiling as my legs were swept out from under me. Doc had used her special nerve maneuvers on me. My grandmother butted in with, >> It's not that my dear. No. It's more from my neck of the woods. No, what some Houses want, the Commons and others reject. It’s other things.<<

I concentrated hard at her, >>House stuff?<<

She replied out loud, “Indeed. But don’t worry. Your grandparents have teeth. It will be fine.” Mom roped me in, glancing at Doc as she said, “Where did you learn that Lorain?” Doc leaned over and pressed a hand to the back of mom’s neck. The hum of the ivory ring rendering the conversation protected. Diamonds, aka Grandma Ayeer, poked me in the stomach.

>>Doc has some insights you don’t. We need you to be a force for change as far as House norms go. It's vital for your grandfather as well. We aren’t doing it to shut you out. We want you to throw all the tea in the harbor. Got it?<<

>>Copy that. It still hurts though. I just don’t want to embarrass you.<<

Grandma rested her head on my shoulder for a hug.

>>You were never an embarrassment. Not one second.<<

A slight dizzy spell made me lean heavily into her for a moment. Then it was gone. The buzzing too. Like with everything else in my life, she meant more than what was said. Her frank response confirmed it.

>>You are right. One day you will understand it all. On that day I will greet you as Protector of All.<<

*****

J’ino stared open-mouthed at Lorain.

Legitimately impressed, “Make sure you use that on all the Houses that show disrespect. Damn the consequences.” Doc winked.

“Is that a royal edict?”

*****

Mom nodded resolutely.  Dad added more funds to the Jar.

Doc pushed on my back and feeling returned to my legs. She waited until Grandpa Murphy coxed Zach out of the house. They were off to get previsions for the unexpected visit. Lorain crossed her arms. “If you were a guy I would expect no less than 15 children from you. Got it?!” Dexter placed the chests down.

“Respectable goal!  I will up my output!”

The bruised part of my heart lightened.

I was acting foolish. It’s not like I wouldn’t have enough on my plate family-wise.

Gulliver quacked. His voice was very loud in the smaller space of the dining room.

<<Yep! Don’t worry hot sauce. You will have more kids than you know what to do with it. Remember what Ritark said: Family is more than Blood.>>

Trouble, the ever-vigilant Omega Defender, was beside Grandfather V’alkor once more. But I could imagine him agreeing. Even though Gulliver had revealed they were from the future, I found myself wondering if I was making a misstep somewhere and a whole timeline would cease to exist. Doc kicked me in the rump. That’s my girl. Tough Love.

An Alliance network alert flashed across all the holo screens within the house.

<<….I repeat, Artock incursion at….>>

            Trinity City.

            I was off in a flash. My Defender uniform coalescing around my body like a second skin. Dexter right behind me. The Dweller Gate firing up before us. Markav and Alliance warships following in our wake.

            As we FTL’d in from the Gate, the space around us was chaotic. Dropships attempted to breach the shielding of Trinity. While our forces and planetary defenses shot down everything that came within 20 miles of the planet. Dawnbreaker pointed, >>The pirates are using Weave Space but it resists them. This is only a scout fleet.<<

            Black growled within my mind. White transmitting his voice.<<They have a planet killer fleet attempting to travel to Sol itself. It will not be able to exit anywhere near Earth. At best: Pluto. We must entrap them there. They aren’t quite here. This is a distraction.>>

             White added, <<We must stop these parasites.>>

            The metal of my spear warmed my left hand. The dragon tattoo coiling and constricting around my left arm. There were bits of Unity within this marauder fleet. I hurled my black spear outward. It lodged itself into a midsized pirate vessel. Tearing through the engine core. I willed it back. Its long obsidian shaft rebounded. Slipping back into my grip.

            I focused on its mismatched silhouette. There. That ship. The name on the side read: Voidsmasher. The Amarche were swarming it. Like bees on honey. They wanted me to investigate that one in particular. I braced myself against an asteroid then launched into the ship. Bursting through plating, decks, wiring. The whole shebang. I zipped from one Artock to the next. Knocking them out with a light tap to their middle brain. Located just right between the eye stocks. A small ridge connecting both to the central cortex. There was still a chance the host body could be reclaimed. Returned to their home of origin.

            The captain of the ship threw some daggers at me. Coated with poison no doubt. They bounced harmlessly to the deck. He shouted, “Demon in White! DIE!” He pulled out a Void Walker pistol. I hurled my spear. It embedded itself within his palm. A loud clang reverberated throughout the engine room as he wailed. I used some tongs and dumped the gun into the fading ship reactor. Some Amarche patted me on the back.

            It is here. Seek the code.

            Find him.

            I knew who they meant. The Hanged Man.

This ship had the answers about the main fleet.

About how their corrupted engines flowed through the Weave Space.

I walked over to the whimpering Artock officer and performed that same midbrain knockout. We would need this one. Striker Nix’s ugly mug filled my INet connection as I transferred the files to C.A.P.  Turns out his dad had our wayward Matarn host body. But that was only the beginning.

*****

            Matarn stared up at the night sky within Pandora’s box. His body was closer than before.

            The reckoning would soon be at hand. He would summon the Titans. As promised.

            To cleanse the world of Unity’s corruption.

            The failure simmered within his heart. But he would not let the anger take him.

            Eliza would need all the help they could give her. The soul, when parted from the body was a horrific experience, he knew it on a level that that few had experienced. He saw what awaited Murphy. He would be one of the lights to carry her home. He would prepare his son for that moment as well. The greater the support the higher her chances. The crystal coffin would channel the disparate threads tying her to this mortal coil. But that wouldn’t be enough. The Amarche would help tether her soul to the fixed points of the Ur-Stone. The Faith of the Bardaxians would soothe her passage. Like a trail of bread crumbs for their faith was stronger than anyone else. Because they had the purity matched only by Earth’s dogs. They would not be clouded by despair. While her family ties were strong, the grief would be great. The sands of time eating away at their resolve.

            He rose. Going through the motions once more.

            Keeping his mind sharp. For when he returned to his body, it would be frail with abuse and time. But his body was only a vessel. His soul would be the knife in the dark. The line that would not budge. He would find the Piper. They would set things right. They owed White that much. He only hoped that his wife would forgive him. That she had enough will to keep the terrors of House Urraden at bay. Not only for her sake but also Di’axi as well.

            The ship creaked.

            Voices rose within the depths of the sea.

            You are not absolved, old man.

            “I know.”

            The sweet tang of the ocean rocked upon the hull.

Neo London

Legion of Tomorrow Branch

May 2nd, 2104

           

Little John barked. His nub of a tail wiggling joyfully. The King’s Corgis surrounding us in moments. There were new members. Making it 12 in all. Augustus jumped into Doc’s arms. His ears twitching back and forth. To the delight of everyone.

            Elias Payne held open the door. “Well if it isn’t Captain Murphy!”

            I shook his hand. Doc sliding into a chair beside me. Marion put on a pot of tea. While Y’lansa entered with Mom in her Ambassador setup.  Dexter was in House Hudo gear. Playing up the faithful bodyguard role when J’dax was off-world. Five of the corgis surrounded mom. Forming a wall of protection. I realized they were keeping an eye out for Living Stone. They had gained sapience in the same way Augustus did. They all looked at me. One even winked. They had no collars to communicate. Another one tapped the ground with his paw. Morse Code.

            //We hide our smarts from the evil. Weave asked us.//

            I told Elias, “I’ll go find a catapult! Time to make more pigs fly!”

            He smirked. I noticed he had grown his beard out to Lumberjack level. Dexter nodded approvingly. “Aye. It is a wonder.”

            Little John huffed. His ears against his head. Tap tap tap.

            //We will help! We are protectors!//

            “Indeed you are my friends.”

            They all barked happily at this. Cooper settled in next to me.

            <<Earth cousins are brave. We have added them to the Bardaxian-Terran Alliance Compact military as special units!>>  My eyes widened at that. There were over 2 billion dogs throughout the colonies alone. On Earth and within Sol? Another 4 billion. Since the advent of the Living Stone event, more families had more dogs per captia. At least 5 to every family. In rural areas? It wasn’t uncommon to see 10-20 roaming each homestead. From mixes to pure breeds to Bardaxian intermixed.

            Bardax had even opened a military training academy on Luna and Earth.

            Spoke volumes about their faith in us. Typha and the Litari didn’t have that. I missed what Elias said. Doc punched me in the arm. “Earth to Captain Space Case! Cornfed! HUSTON IS CALLING!” I cleared the cobwebs.

            “Sorry. Woolgathering about space dogs. Earth dogs.”

They all barked when I mentioned bacon.

Elias smacked the table. His laughter filling the room.

            “Good priorities but as I was saying, your mother decided it would be grand to induct my wife and me into the Commons. We accepted. So when you have that fancy trip “homeward” you may add us to the Jupiter’s roster of Growing Important People, Animals, and AI/Vis.”

            More thrilled barking.

            Cooper rested his chin on mom’s stomach. <<Yes! We will all go!>>

His black ears perked forward as she petted his scruff.

I reached out and squeezed her hand under the table.

>>We won't go anywhere until they are safely born.<<

She reciprocated. Her gratitude a deep well.

>>Thank you.<< She didn’t even have to add the whole endless Scion honorifics.

She planted a kiss on my cheek. “Really kiddo. You have no idea how much that means.”

Doc did and gave me a very pointed glance. Along with a message.

///You better be ready for that appointment later. I intend to collect!///

I kept my face controlled but mom whacked me with a rolled-up newspaper anyway.

Doc arched an eyebrow but her eyes were twinkling brightly.

“Hey! That’s my job.”

Mom winked, “Maybe but I have seniority.  I was there before it was popular to get her head out of the clouds.”

Marion hid a smile as Elias Payne turned on the Holo. “So, what did you find on that pirate nob head anyways?”

*****

Striker Nix cursed. The Hanged Man stared blankly outwards. Drool hitting the deck.

His father was a fool. What value did this thing have? Even that Snake Charmer was receiving training from the All-Father himself. He crouched. His eyestalks locking onto the wasted humanoid. He shouted, “Worthless!” He reared back as the milky white orbs locked onto him.

“So entombed. The bones of the Artock remain. Smaller beasts for elder consumption.”

Nix pulled back even more. Spat over his shoulder as he stomped away.

He took the lift down. The sounds of sobbing making him forget the crazy old man.

Here was proper entertainment.

He barked at the guard, “Go get me a lively one.”

The guard scrambled to obey him. Not wanting the wrath of the father upon him.

Old ghosts had nothing on Nix anyways. He was of stolen Urraden DNA. His father was a scumbag but never lied about their borrowed source material. 

Issue 10: Here

Issue 12: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment