Monday, March 8, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Mars Issue 5

 

Issue 5: Drums of War

 

            We have found a conversion foundry for the Artock. Alongside the Bardaxians, Markav, and Forgers we will remove this blight from our cosmic doorstep.—General Whitehouse

            This is the drop boys and girls. Let’s make it rain!—Micheal Brookes, C.A.P Officer under the command of General Thomas Murphy

            They have found the conversion facility. The power of the Twins is growing.—All-Father Agent

            The Artock had their fingers in everything. Working with the All-Father, Set, Thoth, the former Cabal members, the Sleeping agents of Typha. They were a useful tool to hide other things. Breeding programs and womb factories. To say that White went supernova would be an understatement.—Sleeping In Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Artock Ringworld Habass

Outer Regions of Utasa Sector

April 15th, 2104

           

Micheal Brookes dashed across the alien landscape.

Two Bardaxian marines on his heels. Their battlesuits firing off a barrage of micro missiles that tore through the outer walls of the factory. It was a mishmash of stolen tech. They had everything from Typherian to Litari ordinance lining the walls. Whatever was in there was vital to these pirates. Project Freefall Light Shamans chanted. Tearing a hole in the metals. Then they provided extra shielding to the Calvary Grav Tanks zipping across the battlefield. Launching their heavy grav lances. Brookes saw General Whitehouse, framed by his US Army Battle frame, loading a Pulse round. He aimed.

            The loud crack echoed as his shot smashed through the Artock forward batteries.

            The air crackled as two sonic booms broke through the atmo of the Ringworld.

            Brookes grinned. A shower of black and white energy cracked as they landed with a resounding thrum.

*****

            I let loose. My dark matter beams tearing through the armor plating of the main entryway. Dawnbreaker held out his hands. Adding that cosmic fire I used to have. Artock pirates scattered like roaches. A yellow silver crack of lighting nailed one in the head. I looked up to see Sir Avalon waving. Aiming more lighting and creating chaos for the enemy. Jupiter Rising did a flyby. The air filled with ozone as it dropped more of the Golden Redeemers on the battlefield. My father at the helm. Mom nailed more Artock artillery emplacements.

Her mind reaching out, >>They keep their merchandise below. Help those people Space Cadet!<<

            I flew straight at the enemy. Knocking dozens of them over. As the reformed Markav Homeguard and Terran Alliance forces charged in after me. The multitudes of battle cries reaching my ears as they set charges to doors. This level didn’t have any civilians. Dexter went from room to room, the heavy thuds telling me he was “checking corners” as dad put it. White murmured, <<The women are below. A majority of them are Typherian. Quickly!>>

            Dawnbreaker and I wasted no time. Driving through metal, stone, and forcefields. Nothing could stop us while we rode the wave of White and Black’s power. As we reached the depths of the laboratories, various bio mechanical guards, misshapen, and grotesque charged us. Their weapon beams ricocheting harmlessly off our chests. I sucked in a breath then released it all at once. Ice formed and froze them in place. My brother could breathe fire if he wanted. It was interesting to see where he differed from me. He linked with Puzzler as he went from room to room. Freeing captives. I ran Doc’s instrumentation over them. Most were women. One Typherian female shouted, “They have the House members in the far side room. We haven’t seen them in days!” Within a blink I was there. The door sealed. I scanned it. On the other side were 4 skeletons. Three of them were infested with Void Walker nanites. Sleepers then. I didn’t brute force the door open. There were lines of energy running along the walls. Dexter was already on it. Having Puzzler search the area for hidden compartments. I examined the other women as well. None had the sleeper nanites. They were going to be used to make more Artock.

            What House people were behind that door that required all this protection?

            Eddie dashed up to me, grinning like a cat with a canary in its mouth, “Found one. Let’s see what's beyond door number 1 huh?”

            As we accessed it the four women turned towards us.

            Their house regalia was faded and worn but they seemed in good health. No, my eyes locked onto the uncorrupted one. Her face was lined with hardship but her eyes still bright. The eyes of an Odessen. Y’lansa’s mother. I bowed.  Saying the Line the mirror self mentioned, adding the Ayeer motto as well.

            “The Void carried me far from home. Ever Skyward, never Bound!”

            Her face wet with tears as she reached out, >>Truly? You have the eyes of your Grandfather.<<

Dexter was transmitting her voice to me. The only ones I could hear on my own were mom, him, Zach, and my Grandparents. I helped her exit the chamber. The other 3 women hissed. Thinking I was ignoring them. Dexter turned without glancing at them. Their eyes burned with rage. He was baiting them on purpose. He said, >>Let them simmer. They are all House  Tinzi, the ever so helpful controllers of House Genetics to Gain more Matter Manipulation and Lord it over Everyone Society! <<

Ooof!

I kept forgetting that Dexter knew a whole lot more about our maternal homeworld.

But I trusted his judgment. If he wasn’t giving them the time of day they probably made X’mil look like the milkman in comparison. I picked senior Odessen up in my arms. She found this adorable. I got the mental impression from Dexter that she often would do this for Bardaxians. Her eyes shifted to the others. Some sort of exchange was happening. She noticed I wasn’t picking up on much. She touched the back of my neck. Like mom would do sometimes. Her face fell. Not in disappointment but with horror at the state of my Typherian nodes. Her voice was soft, “Not here but when we get to your ship. I want to hear about my daughter. And how you knew to say the line that is supposed to be exclusive to my House.”

She added, “ I didn’t think V’alkor would let…” She went quiet as the other ladies stormed past us. Shooting me glances that promised unfortunate things later on. Odessen nodded, “Yes. We must talk.” Most of the rescued Typherians were fine. They had been a smokescreen for hiding the House prisoners. I didn’t let go of Elder Odessen. Not for a second. I was afraid she’d float away if I did. She snorted, “I will also have to have a chat with J’ino. She has said nothing of homeworld to you?”

I replied, “Nope. Only the very basics. Like it has two suns. Grandpa is locked in a gilded cage. Diamonds told me a few other things but they all want me extremely ignorant.”

Odessen nodded like this made perfect sense.

I plowed on further, “So what do I call you? Elder Tea Lady?”

I felt a small push on my mind. Her face broke out in a grin as she realized what tea was.

“I see my daughter still loves her spices. But I can see it already, no we were all trapped in amber until a few days ago. BY the state of my clothing it must have been a while.” Her blue within black eyes troubled. I jumped skyward as I spotted the Jupiter closing in. Odessen let out a cry mixed with excitement and a bit of surprise. “Are all like you on Earth?!”

“We have quite the collection of demis.” That push again.

I inclined my head.

Allowing her more access to my memories.

It was a light brush. She was only gauging surface-level knowledge.

Her black hair was tied back in a braid. With a silver coil at the base.

Streaks of iron ran through her temples. Y’lansa looked almost like a mirror to her.

I belatedly realized that Dexter was also talking to her.

*****

            >>High Orator Ith’aria Odessen. It is good to see you once more. I fear that the others are compromised. My grandfather wishes you to stay with the Jupiter Rising. To not reveal yourself just yet.<<

            She nodded.

            >>How is it your sister’s voice is so damaged? She should not be missing nodes!<<

            Dexter’s fists clenched, >>I ask that you refrain for now. Until after my mother brings you up to speed.<<

            Ith’aria pressed her hand to Eliza’s neck. Mapping the nodes. Feeling the ties she did possess. Shocked that the Marks blazed within a Human residing on the ship above them. Such a thing had never happened in their history. Even after meeting other races. The Marks were usually only present in a full Typherian pairing. She would ask much of J’ino.

            Still, it was a wonder. The grandchildren of V’alkor.

            Twin suns at last.

*****

            Micheal Brookes crouched. Finding more of that amber that had trapped him for so long. So these things were working with Chronos. No surprise there. He waved Whitehouse over. “Tell the General that Star has the package. I want to run a sweep with Lightbearer and Puzzler. Make sure we haven’t missed anything.”

            Whitehouse rechecked all the corners on while passing the duo. The Muthra made a few sigils in the air. Whitehouse’s battle armor glowed for a moment. He nodded. Thanking both men. In the past few months, the Terran Alliance had been expanding so quickly that even retired warhorses like him were pressed back into service. He still served with the Redeemers when he could but found his expertise was needed by the newly expanding Markav as well.

            Whitehouse met General Murphy at the outer staging area.

            “What’s next?”

            Murphy grinned, “You get to blow more stuff up.”

*****

Micheal felt the weight of Chronos’s presence.

            While he had been trapped within the Null Ship, encased in that amber, he had developed a twisted link to the Head Keeper. He saw the shade of his movements. He had been here on this Ringworld. Time to find out why. He followed the footsteps deeper into the former breeding complex. The Artock horrified the man. They didn’t reproduce naturally. They stole the wombs of females. Tying the flesh to machines that produced the next generation of Artock. Most times the women ended up dead. Alongside any of the men taken. Artocks used the remaining organic parts as transplants or testing material.

            They found Typherians especially useful.

            Using the removed nodes as drugs.

Giving their users temporary access to matter manipulation.

He saw the reflection of Chronos pass through a wall. Micheal ran his hands on the surface.  The Keeper word for “Access Code” materialized. He followed the shade of Chronos’ input and entered the room.

Jackpot.

His hands reached out for the codex.

That usually indicated Keeper Caches.

*****

            J’ino rested her forearms over Ith’aria’s.

Their forehead’s touching.

            Eliza was back in the pilot seat of the Jupiter Rising. Dexter guarded the door. This was for just the four of them for now. Eliza brought the ship around. “Look’s like dad wants me to run more forces to the northern part of the ring. They found a bit of Keeper tech. Thanks to Mr. Brookes. “ She saw her mother pull Odessen to the meeting platform just beyond the weapons console. Their faces were animated.

            J’ino passed the images to her bond-mother. The elder Odessen had been there during J’ino’s birth. Usually, women would have the husband there to provide channeling assistance to the child or children being brought forth but sometimes more support was needed. J’ino’s birth hadn’t been easy. So Ith’aria had provided that extra web of security. Today she would have to pass on even more. She began with the Twin’s birth.

            It felt like hours but only a few minutes passed.

            Odessen breathed deeply. “I see. Dear child. How I see. So V’alkor finally told you. Yes, we must rally against Set and his Unity. Our world has been on the line since the beginning. Your daughter will channel the ancestors. She must slay the Unity Dragons eating away at our Weave. Your son will protect the Souls of All.”

            J’ino replied, “I wish there was another way. I just…”

            Ith’aria rose, resting her hands over J’ino’s.

            “Your daughter will change everything. My ancestors have told me this.”

            The older woman pulled J’ino to her feet. Resting a hand on her baby bump.

            “Wonder of wonders. It explains why a human has marks. I refer to that doctor.”

            J’ino watched as Eliza’s fingers danced across the console.

            The ship an extension of her body.

            J’ino said, “Yes. It came as a shock. The last mark will never form though.”

            Odessen frowned, “True but this will change things for the Houses. But that is what many wish.” She winked.

            “I feel for your son though. All those odious House women. I also include myself. We dug too deep with our quest for stronger bloodlines.” J’ino trembled. Memory flowing with revealed context. Knowing that by sending her to Earth her father had saved her from providing more heirs for the Throne vigil. She had been allowed to place Love before Duty.  Not that her parents didn’t love each other. Their union had been arranged. Love had come later. J’ino had gotten the rare choice for a House member. She would not waste it.

*****

            Mom rested her hands on the back of my chair. “You and Senior Tea Lady have a good talk?” She kissed that amulet around her neck. Then she removed it and put it around my neck. Saying, “Take care of this for me. Just for a little while.” I brought it before me as the ship landed. One of my smoothest yet. It looked like the same symbol on Dawnbreaker’s demi uniform. One of the suns was red while the other was orange.

            I remember wondering why she kept it so close growing up.

            I moved from the pilot seat. “Watch it for me. Looks like dad and I have another field trip.”

            Dexter moved away from the door, “I’ll stay here. I don’t want mom or our guest alone.”

            I knew he meant the babies as well.

I nodded, “Ill bring Cooper. Get him to stretch his legs.”

As I donned my cape and suit once more I passed by Lorain as I moved to the airlock.

She looked up from her status reports as I kissed her on the cheek, “Double check Senior Tea Lady. I’m taking Cooper for a walk.”

As if summoned, his giant black triangular head peered around the corner, <<YES! ADVENTURES! I hope I do not get eaten this time!>> He bounded next to me. His whole body quivering with anticipation.

            Doc poked me on the nose, “Be careful cornfed. I don’t need you extra crispy.”

            I gave her a proper farewell as the airlock cycled.

            She normally didn’t smile too much but now I knew what my little brother referred to as the Goofy Grin. Did we seem that dopey to other people? I didn’t care. I was just glad she was happy. She pulled me back in for one more kiss then pushed me through the airlock.

            Cooper barked, << Time to find more pirates and herd them to prison!>>

            Heaven protect anyone who disobeyed that Bardaxian.

            We lifted off. I keyed into dad’s heartbeat.

            Cooper’s head on a swivel as we flew past the smoking ruins of Pirate slave camps.

            The Terran Alliance would be recruiting. We would need more to help protect others from the Artock. How many more out there had been trapped in amber? The eons going by? White said, <<Far too many. Our fault.>>

            “Maybe but that doesn’t mean we roll over. Like those miners, we will find those within the darkness and bring them home.”

Issue 4: Here

Issue 6: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment