Friday, April 9, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Mars Issue 24

Issue 24: The Piper’s Song

 

            I see what drives Jonas. Even if he doesn’t yet fully comprehend it. It is why I love the man beyond the suit.—Nola

            The safest spot for J’ino is to be right near me. So we took a page from the old Area 51 rule book. She feels like she’s waddling half the time but all I see is my beautiful wife decked out in her old Typherian war gear. She is the great expanding Murphy Frontier. With very nice borders.—Thomas Murphy

Doc had to explain Draken’s goals. Even after the first sentence, I found myself pulling a patented Murphy bear hug. No one would lay a finger on Lorain. Not while I flew around New Ashbury and beyond. The fact that the pirate king found Earth that “vulnerable” spoke volumes on how well our Terran Alliance was obfuscating its true reserves. If Nyx's malcontents thought that poorly of us we probably weren’t a blip on anyone else’s radar. –Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Downtown New Ashbury

Legion of Tomorrow Outreach Program

June 12th, 2104

 

            The Piper had dressed up for the occasion. A nice tailored suit. A rather modest dark green. Black tie and white undershirt. Clean-shaven and waiting in the regulation temperature room as the woman at the help desk paged the Golden Bulleteer. To outside observers, his appearance would fit right in with a middle-grade teacher. Gone was the unruly hair. Colored to a deep red he found appealing. Nails trimmed. Star’s treatment of Ichabod and Crumbles as a soothing balm on his soul. Another found value in his tiny friends. He had his trademark pipe within a special case. It was white. The edges along each corner were lined with green Scholar markings.

            The Golden Buleteer would recognize it.

            A gust of wind burst through the room. Bulleteer held out his hand.

            The Piper took it, “Thank you! I wish to help. Star said….”

            Bulleteer interjected with, “Indeed. She gave me the update. Follow me.”

            As they walked past the reinforced doors, he saw Star floating there. One rat on each shoulder. “Turns out Ichabod decided to start a family.” He placed the case down. Smiling at the Star-Spangled Banner. Piper cupped his hands as Ichabod jumped. His very pregnant mate remained curled on Star’s right shoulder.

*****

            I picked up Piper’s instrument case. It chimed deep within my chest.

            White stated, <<He has been busy!>>

            After talking to Ichabod he noticed my regard. “Yes! I have been working on changing my mistakes. I block the signals of the Sister. She wants more and more children! I will not allow it.” His voice grew resolute.

            “She will not get the next generations. But my pipe only works on children or adolescents. It is part of the…”

            He paused as I opened the remaining door. “Part of what?” My question made him glance about. His hand closing around Ichabod protectively. He spoke hurriedly, as if each word weighed heavily upon him, “Part of the curse bestowed upon me by the Weave. I wonder now if it is a curse.”

The Amarche shadowed him. One even proclaiming, “It knows what roles we play. The Curator was right.”

I told Piper, “So that’s why she’s been frustrated. I’ll tell you what Paxton and the others found.” About that strange incubator within the children’s hospital. The demon patrolling those Halls in the Weave. Piper muttered, “Ahh. Yes. It is a monster that preys on newly born souls. Nasty thing that. I will add my song to that place. It will keep them from coming back!”

I lifted Crumble’s from my shoulder, placing her within a special carrying case. Complete with a heated bottom. She curled up. Her nose quivering as she slept.  Ichabod scrambled to join her. Wrapping his body around her. His voice light but sharp. “I protect. She is close now. May we stay here?” I nodded.

“Let’s stop by the Jupiter. I'll add you to the roster as well Piper.

His face lit up at that. “Me? Ye-yes!”

Based on his emotional aura he was still getting used to being back among the living. How many ruined universes had he seen? The hunted look in his eyes gave me an unsettling answer to that. One I hoped to see him heal from. Little moves.

           

Downtown New Ashbury

Dr. Evenhalls Pedatricics for Demi Testing

 

            Doctor Lorain Lanis was with us this time. I followed her lead. Piper’s hair trimmed to a nice modern style. Got a few ladies looking in his direction. His eyes were normally all brown. Iris and sclera. With skin only a bit darker than Di’axi’s. For his human set up, he was a light tan. With bright brown eyes, wearing the Jupiter Rising uniform. I had decided on green flight jackets with tan utility pants. Made Doc grin when wearing it because besides the patch showcasing the Jupiter Rising with its same-named planet in the background, I had made the suits match the green away team setup from Captain Cosmos.

            The shirt under the jacket was a lighter white color. He had been shocked when I equipped him with a basic sidearm. It was secure in the holster on his right hip. Doc’s military rank and credentials allowed us inside armed.  Mine was mostly for show. Like Piper’s. I’d be joining him on the firing range for some practice later. He ran a hand through his reddish-blonde hair. Some would say strawberry I bet. I had made it a mission to collect redheads.

            Doc shot me a very old-fashioned frown. I leaned in and planted a kiss on her forehead. “There’s only one for me.” She hummed and fixed my collar. Then turned to Piper and fixed the symbols on his collar. We had made him a surveyor. A catchall for civilian scout.  When we passed muster we entered the building.

            The Buddhist doctor from Paxton’s report greeted us. “Ahh! Looking to start a family?” I waved Piper over, “Actually sir, we are here following up on Mr. Lighthand’s appointment.”

            The doctor nodded. His eyes noting Doc’s military rank. “I see. Right, this way!”

*****

            The doctor’s name was Benjamin Itaka. Most called him Budda. He didn’t mind. As we entered the room my stomach flipped in five different directions. I raced to the closest trash receptacle. It disposed of my lunch pretty quick. The sick atmosphere taking my breath away. Piper eyed the corner with distaste. “Her instrument is here. Evil. Wrong. Twisted!”

            Both doctors were examining me. Itaka’s voice low, “Her body reacts even more violently…there is something….” Doc pulled me over to one of the side chairs. As far from that corner of death as possible. The Buddhist waved Lorain over to his office. Just down the corridor from this place. Piper gave me some water. I drank it. Letting the liquid soothe my burning throat. Whatever Nyx had done to that cradle monitor would not be discovered by me. Even now the waves of nausea threatened to send me back to the trash land express.

            Piper circled the hidden area. “This is still active. Yet it hasn’t taken other babies. Replacing them.” I paled at that. Glad that Paxton had taken steps to regulate that thing off from the general baby population. It was worst than we thought. I commed Doc, <<Did any baby end up in that thing?>>

*****

            Itaka handed the records over, “Yes. One infant had been put there by one nurse. Colonial credentials came back on it.” Lorain responded, “Ok. We will look into this further. Keep on monitoring that thing. Paxton and the others did well but we really can’t have any other newborns or else end up there.”

            He leaned back in his chair. “I can look to see if any other person with a similar profile…” Lorain stopped him with a troubled expression. “No. We don’t want to alert this thing we know more than realized.”

            He responded, “But what if she placed more cradles like this on other worlds?”

            Lorain bit the inside of her cheek, “I know. We are working on a special project to nullify certain aspects of the cradle network.” She placed her card on the desk. “Ask for follow-ups to Mr. Lighthand if you get anything else. If there is danger add: Lowlight development within the ocular lens.”

            Benjamin Itaka reached out to shake Lanis’ hand. “You have my vow. As one doctor to another.”

*****

            Piper helped me cross the street. Doc appeared moments later, running her hand across my brow, “Let’s get you clear. You’re still green around the gills.” Lorain took the right side while Piper was on the left. My body trembled. White’s three shining eyes locked onto me. The mental space filled with her war form. Her tail twitched back and forth, >>Had I the power that day that Keeper would have been quite dead.<<

            A small warmly lit outdoor eatery was our destination. The waiter offered drinks. Doc ordered some sort of cheesecake while Piper asked for a pitcher of water. He added coffee as well. Black, 3 sugars. How’d he know what I liked? Ichabod peered out from Piper’s flight jacket and added, “Me! Oh, and I have 6 babies! Crumbles is resting easy now.”

            That was quick. Fastest birth on record.

            I gulped down the water pitcher. Not even waiting for the glasses.

            The waiter turned. Taking the empty pitcher. He repeated the process 4 more times.

            Must have been used to unusual orders. Doc’s hands reached for mine across the table.

            “Better?”

            “What happened in there? I know certain tech makes me react that way but that was 100 times more intense. I couldn’t even get near that thing.”

            Doc’s green eyes blazed, “Because of who its fueled by. I suspected a bit when we had to rescue your mother and Anna. Let’s get something in you and then head for the ship. I'll explain more there.”

            Piper tasted the coffee. He decided on an espresso. It was quite the kick from what he usually had. He left a nice tip. The waiter reached out and took the bills. Staring at the odd silver coin added. It didn’t look Terran. He shrugged and pocketed it.

The Jupiter Rising

Medical Deck (Archive Office)

           

It was just me and Lorain for now.

Piper had joined my father and Dexter on the firing range.

I pulled her into an embrace.

“What’s up?” She rested her head over my heart.

The words were barely audible for normal ears.

“You are susceptible to Keeper tech because of Nyx. She tried to teleport you with a prototype cradle. It had unforeseen effects. That’s all I had been able to get out of your Aunt Q’vera. I will not ask your mother until after her triplets are born.”

I wasn’t able to speak for a few minutes.

She had tried to make me into a pod person? That’s the impression I got in the hospital. What came back wasn’t the baby that was put to rest there. It might look like the infant but it was not. I didn’t know how long we stood there but finally, I asked, “Is that what Paxton is gonna do next? Find the baby that got switched?”

Doc nodded. Her hands moving up my spine. Gentle motions that calmed my nerves.

Didn’t think that would work on me. Lorain gave a watery chuckle, “I semi-fixed you, Captain. Give me a little credit!” I knew she was saying that to distract me. It worked for another set of heartbeats then I continued.

“Dexter knows a whole lot more about that day, doesn’t he? I saw his face after I woke up from the rescue. I bet One-Armed me knows as well.” She nodded, cupping my chin with her left hand, not hiding the truth.

Doc replied, “I think Nyx was going to add you to her collection along with that angelic embryo. Which would have caused Anna’s nightmare to come true. An endless army of…” I pressed an index finger to her lips.

“Let’s find something better….”

She blushed. Pushing me towards the door.

“I have horrid aim! Please help!”

She punched me in the shoulder. Ahh, she had been expecting romance.

I grinned, “How about this? If I manage to get a passing grade….”

Doc aimed another kick at my rear.

That’s the ticket!

“I swear Eliza Murphy If I didn’t love you….”

“Captain Cosmos reporting for firearms qualifications! After that, please be advised! Content not meant for children.” Her eyes narrowed, a sultry grin formed, which indicated one of two outcomes.

As we entered the firing range, she set up 5 targets at different intervals, some even showcasing a hostage in front. That was her lane. Mine was set for a novice. She even put some sound dampeners into my ears. Walking me through the basics.

I listened intently. Doc wanted me to know how to shoot.

Like she knew what would be ahead.

I didn’t begrudge her that.

I rather have the ones that loved me most guiding me.

As she finished explaining she pulled my face down to hers.

“Get ready Captain. You are mine for the next 4 hours.”

*****

            Piper sat cross legged on the mat. The haunting melodies echoing throughout the ship. The song was his journey. It beat across all those within the ship. Bringing memories to the surface. Jupiter was entranced as well. She was reliving her flight from the testing station. The one that Ith’aria Odessen had been abducted from by Keepers. They would have to win. There was no other outcome she could calculate at this point.

As Piper finished he found that all his rats were present. Ichabod was pulling his mate in a special cart. Their children fast asleep. In total, he had 17 other rats along with Ichabod. Each from a different Earth. All precious.

They rested on the mat along with their master.

            Awaiting the next song.

*****

            Mary Valcourt cried. Not tears of pain.

            The song had awoken old memories within her.

            She was not alone. Watson, the Basset Hound Bardaxian, trotted after her.

            He spoke, his collar lighting up, <<I feel it in my bones little lady!>>

            She made her way to the Galley. Seeing Gen. Murphy sitting with his son.

            The younger man turned, waving at her, “Care to join us?”

            She sat. Dexter’s warm smile tugging at her heart. He was a strong decent man. Yet a tenderness floated underneath. Waiting for the right time to emerge. She found it odd that she knew Dawnbreaker’s ID, parentage and so many other things that would get her front-page status yet she found herself thinking of the future. Within that realm of possibility, she found she would never be alone again.

            That was the true power of this ship and crew.

She would defend that to her final breath.

Issue 23: Here

Issue 25: Here                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment