Saturday, May 1, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Hidden Legacies Issue 3

 

Issue 3: A Warm Welcome

 

            We haven’t even been here for 5 mins local time and Eliza is already causing trouble. Excellent!—J’ino

            When M’taris suggested this particular dress I thought she was nuts. Not that it was uncomfortable or gaudy. It was made of very fine material, elegant. But what was threaded throughout it was a black thread that made me feel randy. Is it supposed to do that?!—Lorain Lanis

            And so, we had entered normal space. Typha, my first impression: Bustling! Ships coming and going. Various com relays zipping about. Argax City was not only on the surface of the planet but rose to the void above. Linking to the Dyson Sphere that circled their twin suns. The Mid Ring was the delineation between ground and space.  Most of the Commons lived on the mid and upper rings. The Houses usually flaunted their influence by residing closer to the ground. Of the various factions, I met that day, the 3rd House woman with her husband, their little girl. Those three were paramount to the push and pull within House Politics and positioning.—Sleeping In Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Orbit of Typha

Bridge of T.A.S I’tah

July 16th, 2104 

 


 

            “I have to admit, wasn't quiet picturing something like Argax, what’s up with the cluster of ships over by that patrol platform?” They were transports. Civilian from the shape.

            Y’lansa highlighted the feed. Expanding it into the displays before me.

            Her voice was clipped.

Her emotions sharp. Embarrassment was foremost within her aura.

“That is the customs station for the Commons. Along with lower-tier House castes.”

I eyeballed this with confusion. Usually, Earth prioritized based on cargo. For civilians at least. Plus we had separate stations for military vs commercial use. Much like the Litari. I asked, “What about diplomats?” Y’lansa’s frowned, “Normally they would….” Her eyes glazed over.

Her hands tightened behind her back. Mom was casting about as well. Dad and the rest of my party clustered behind her. We wouldn’t be alone here. Even Lorain was with Grandma Ayeer. The giddy aura burning off them suggested that they took my proclamations to heart. Whatever was coming down the pike would KO the X’mils of the world. E’ratha eyed all of us cooly. She had partitioned herself off to her House suites. Each capital ship or sector class vessel had personal embassies for all Houses. Even mom’s.

I brought up our itinerary. We had primary clearance to jump the line. The energy barrier around the planet prevented people from cutting in line. I had an Ayeer uniform on. All black under suit. Black pants, blue sash, Silver overcoat. Much to mom’s delight, I had on my old yellow NASA cap. I wouldn’t let them forget Earth. I bet I’d understand her giggling later though. I made sure my shoes were my old brown work boots.

Scuffled and all. Texas proud!

I examined the wait times for the Commons ships in comparison.

3 days?!

I murmured to Y’lansa, “Can they….”

Her eyes gleamed wickedly.

“Understood Ayeer Scion. By your will.”

We hailed them. They all piled into the docking wing of the I’tah.

Then we skipped over to the main Hab ring circling the planet. I got some inquiries about repairs and asked Y’lansa to assist. Since mom said they didn’t use money, not in the way Earth did, I figured this would only be polite!  Mom’s humor spiked. She didn’t even hide it.

Others on the bridge shared rather relieved smiles.

I brought up the bridge crew manifest: Mostly 3rd or 4th tier house personnel. A full quarter of them was Commons. This day was going to be one for the record books. I sent Lorain a mental picture of E’ratha fainting into a pool. Mom’s humor grew to the point that she commented, “Your ignorance is a work of beauty, my daughter. Thank you for that image. “

>>Ill blanket your thoughts from others. They have no idea how much I’ve changed since the Tower days.<<

I sent a silent prayer to God.

Doc’s emotions coiled around me. She was wearing Gulliver’s gift as well.

It had been so long. We had used it a bit when White was augmenting my body. So that meant I hadn’t been able to feel anything properly. A very trying time with someone with super strength. Ahh, she had it on a lower setting. So she could tap into my empathy abilities. When I tried to ask her how she had managed it she got very shy. The only image I got was a bracelet.

>>Momma, I have one request.<<

She was wearing that same ambassadorial dress from the formal announcement back on Earth. It was a very pretty setup. Her smile widened, >>What’s that Space Cadet?<<

>>I’ll shake. You bake!<<

She glided over to me. Taking my arm. Planted a kiss on my cheek. Her eyes blazed.

“Welcome home my dear Space Cadet. Live long and disaster.”

She tapped the side pocket of my jacket. >>The other part of the receiver is within. Don’t take it out until I command it.<<

*****

Ta’len greeted his old shipmates. They ran to him, “What the heck is J’ino planning?! That kid of hers just got half the Houses out there into a knot! Not that I mind. It's fun watching those brightly colored cubes get their ears pulled back.” Cook slapped his knee. Enjoying the premiere courtesy shown someone like the Ayeer House. He didn’t have any issues with an Odessen or Ayeer. They worked alongside all strata of Typherian society. Even the Queen consort's House was primarily filled with Defenders and Survey Corp. Respectable!

Ta’len watched as the military-grade repair bots swarmed the outer shell of his old trading vessel. He couldn’t tell his friends yet. One day. Soon the multiverse would know just how much he loved Y’lansa. Watching E’ratha seeth was the bonus. The Artock spawn paced about. No one responded to her mental commands. Many here would vacate the area on purpose. She stomped off. Likely to moan to the House Community of Concerned Madness. He shouted, “Hey! Navigator!” He joined them for a rousing card game. He watched as years of wear and tear on his old ship faded. After Y’lansa’s bots were done, it looked factory-level worthy. The Captain’s pride swelled, “Just look at her lads. Welcome home Scion of Ayeer. May the Sword of C’alain guide you to victory.”

*****

            I flew about the docking ring within the I’tah. Watching as the bots repaired and restocked each vessel. The sheer level of goods and services slowed everything. Even with automated help. Houses served Houses while everyone else had to go through other channels. Typha traded with the whole multiverse. So that echoed outward through other Typhas. Over and over to the infinite. Trillions upon trillions coming and going. Hardly any House presence on the local Dyson sphere worried me as well. Since Set controlled this Lying House, what was within the Dyson that repelled him?  

            Mom linked in, >>I want fresh eyes on my planet. That is also why I kept you ignorant. Break everything, my daughter. All of it.<<

            I knew what she meant under those words.

            The Gilded Cage had more than just my grandfather. I landed with nary a sound.

            A minor House woman froze. Her daughter sleeping against her shoulder. The man I assumed was her husband moved to block me. I felt a push upon my mind. Mom translated. She would be doing this nearly constantly while I was here.

            >>Forgive us, Scion. We are summoned.<<

            The mother’s tone formal. The little girl opened her eyes. They didn’t track right. Her parents saw me studying this oddity. Their absolute terror spiked. I rested a hand on her head.

            >>Doc, what’s up with this girl?<<

            Through our Typherian bond, she reached out to scan the child with her healing senses.

            ///She’s blind. Muted. Don’t let E’ratha find out! I might be able to fix her eyes. Put them on the shuttle near the Jupiter Rising.///

            I murmured to the woman, “My doctor can help.”

            The mother eyed me suspiciously.  Then saw the NASA cap on my head. I noticed her head was bare. No cap or any hairbands. No jewelry either. Cooper chose that moment to float over. <<Ayeer wishes to help! This Green knows. She will do right by your daughter. You will not have to throw her away.>> That galvanized them. She muttered, “Th-thanks be to you.” I gave them the coordinates for the shuttle. Their eyes clearing.

            I whispered, “Stay inside the shuttle until Doc can take a look.”

            What the heck was going on here anyway?

Mom hissed, >>You are not broken. This idea must change.<<

A chill ran up my spine. The last time she sounded that way was when X’mil openly challenged her over Zachary’s outburst.

*****

            Kath’rym of  3rd House Ordus Axuillary reached the shuttle.

Lotah, her Commons Husband gawked at the Terran-made vehicle. The Humans had come a long way in such a short time. He tested the food. “It is safe to eat. E’ratha will not find us here.”  Her smaller clan had angered E’ratha. If they knew that their daughter was deaf and blind? They would be forced to abandon her within a Designated Sector Boarding Unit. That was the official name. Unofficially? Outer Shell Oblivion. In a world where Telepathic ability was as good as a coin for other places? Her child would be cast off. All because via her mother, she was entrapped by House litanies. What she wouldn’t give to escape this twist of fate.

Lotah handed Kath’rym some h’itah. He thanked the Commons that the Humans had considered adding the staple drink of the Ascendancy to their systems. While their daughter munched on what the computer said was an oreo cookie. She giggled. “Father! It’s nice. We won’t have to go to the Greeting Ball, will we? I don’t want to get everyone in trouble.”

He rested a hand on her red curled head. “No sweetheart. No more bad dreams.”

He hoped it wasn’t a lie.

He knew Ayeer wanted to help but V’alkor’s clan was surrounded.

Knives arrayed from all corners.

What hope did this daughter of J’ino have?

Habitat Ring: High Vivarium

Orbit of Typha

House Sector

           

You could hear a pin drop.

            Then I remembered. Mind voices. Mom interlinked with me by touching my neck.

            The background was a cacophony of half-remembered whispers.

            They waited. All the various House officials. Imagine a technicolored rainbow. The women stared. Mortified. I didn’t know what to do but I went ahead and dived in. “Well now. All this for little old me? All it needs is some fireworks and a good keg of ale!” A wave of horror cascaded over me. A rather tall burly Typherian with bright blonde hair was at the end of the ramp. I went up to him and shook his hand. His green eyes reminding me of Lorain’s.

He replied, “Well met Scion. May you Stare at the Void and Survive!”

Dozens of women fainted immediately. Their attendants catching them. But the fun didn’t stop there. No, I turned and Lorain Lanis walked stately down the linking ramp. Framed by the bulk of the I’tah in the background. Her dress was Ayeer coloring. Blue, silver, and black. Her headdress was demure. Silver with gold thread lining the bottom. She held out her left hand. That made more House women faint. Some of the men too. The blonde guy was failing to hide his joy at this turn of events. I reached out and took it. Following her lead. She placed her hand, palm side down, under my own.

//Pull on the sleeve a bit. There you go!//

It was a bracelet that ran from her wrist to just under her elbow. It was silver. A bright blue gem dangled in the middle. Surrounded by gold rings. I could see Gulliver's Gift weaved into the metals. Nice! Mom nudged me mentally.

>>Take the item from your pocket. Place it on your head.<<

I did so. It was of similar coloration to Lorain’s bracelet but it was a simple circlet that I situated on my brow. It meant I had to remove my cap but that made a bigger impression. Doc made sure that the people saw how her hand was positioned to mine. I didn’t say anything. Lorain stated, “I control her fertility, by blood and bone, no sample of her body will be added to the Ascendancy. I claim all rights, Unioned by mind and body. Verification keyed to these bonds of metal and flesh.”

Dexter hung on every word. His mind reached out, >>Way to go sis. No wonder grandma and Lorain were brainstorming.<< I belatedly realized that Doc had solved the conundrum of my “infertility” via a smokescreen. I also realized that my time of maintaining a secret identity would be coming to an end. Eliza Murphy would have to enter the limelight. I brought her hand to my lips to plant a kiss on Doc’s knuckles. The sound of House apocalyptic keening flowed outward.

The faint hum of holo recorders making note of this historic event.

>>HUMANS MAY NOT SULLY OUR LINES!<<

E’ratha’s voice reaching new levels of shrill.

I sent my parents a message.

///Then they will love House Murphy.///

Dad and Elias Payne, King of the Realm of England, fell in behind mom. The corgis excited barking breaking up the dead silence of the physical world. I loved those dogs. They took point. In a V formation. Their barking filling that void. I got the impression that the House ladies here thought I was ignoring them. The pressure of mom’s mind blocked them all out. I added, >>Momma, that’s super devious. Thanks!<<

The blond Typherian made waves by walking next to me. While Doc glared daggers at people. He winked and said, “I’d recommend my friend’s cooking. On the mid-level ring, here are the coordinates!”

E’ratha turned red. Beet didn’t cover it.

I replied, “Thanks!” I clapped him on the shoulder which caused more waves of despair to cascade over my empathy shields.

*****

            J’ino cackled. All the while keeping her outer expression calm and regal.  Her father, V’alkor was laughing within the cover of his royal battle helm. Delighting in M’taris’ wild fluctuations of emotion. This was a long time coming. Various House members scattered as a vanguard of male Corgis barked excitedly. Putting full Union regalia on Lorain Lanis torpedoed any chances other Houses had for ensnaring his granddaughter for genetic alliance purposes. The black thread through the dress indicating a full Typherian bond. Even if they wouldn’t be able to have children. They would never reach a true complete bond but it didn’t hurt to have proper smoke and mirrors. The whole point was to prevent House Ayeer’s enemies from realizing Eliza was sterile. He had to hand it to his wife and Lanis. It was an excellent cover.

            When their civilian and demi roles came out it would be vital to keep up certain kinds of stories. He knew that much from what his Ur-Travelling Eliza had said. Time travel. His mind still reeled from it all. He waited. All the eyes of Typha upon them. The Commons would be vindicated. He would bring his Twins to the true Throne Matrix. This very night.

*****

            My grandfather was surrounded on each side by rows of King’s Own. Silent but everyone gave them a wide berth. Elias and Marion broke off to stand near the foot of the staircase. It was black and white marble. With flecks of gold in it. How illustrious!  The corgis formed a box of protection around them.   Augustus remained next to Lorain. I leaned over to Doc. “Ready?” She grinned. “Yup!” Lanis stepped back. I reached out and grabbed grandma and rose into the air. M’taris took this with the grace of a poker player. Inside she was soaking in all the House female rage swirling around us.

As I reached V’alkor I said, “Heya Grandpapa Wolf.” Then bear-hugged both of them. E’ratha finally growled, “Males are not to be greeted first within HOUSE protocol! Did you teach your daughter nothing?!” Mom’s smile grew colder.

Her mindvoice cracked across the crowd. Many reflexively stepping back a few feet from her. She didn’t let me hear what was said. So I put more egg on E’ratha’s face. They were horrendously insular here. No wonder the Commons didn’t want to associate. It would ruin their lives instead!

            I replied, “That explains the constipated look on your House men’s faces then! How do you have kids? Put bags over their heads?” That same burly Typherian shot me a mischievous look. He added, “Indeed! They have their rituals. The rest of us are normal.”

            E’ratha grated, “THIS IS NOT EARTH.”

            I responded, not hiding the glee in my voice, “I am half of Earth! So I honor both.”

            Voices rose. The sound echoing within the greeting hall. Mom smiled.

A real one this time.

            She stated, “I will reveal my daughter’s sire at a later date. As is my right.” My crew and family followed my Grandfather as we left the sea of House upset behind. Before us was a private tram system.  V’alkor waved Elias and his wife in first, “I will show you the real Typha.”

            Elias responded, “I saw the real Typha on the Bridge of Y’lansa’s ship and those freighters her bots were repairing.” V’alkor helm retracted, showing the bottom half of his face. His smile warmed at the edges, “Good. There will be time for other matters.”

            I saw the controlled discipline my brother had on his face.

            My grandfather pulled me aside.

            “It's alright. Allow your brother some space. The legacies can wait a moment longer.”

            I winced, “Sorry I’m not too good with the mind-to-mind stuff. I can kinda hear you but mom’s the anchor for me. Besides…”

He nodded, ruffling my hair, “It’s nothing to be ashamed of. You are quite the Empath. That is our family’s signature move. In you, it is a gentle breeze but I have other information you will find enlightening about it. Did you know….”

*****

            Dexter eyed the central base tier of Argax City. The green glow casting shadows about the main energy tramway as they emerged from the access tunnel. The Thone already called out to him. A ghostly feminine form shadowed him. He knew her by smell alone. Queen G’athea. Consort to the King. C’alain’s other legacy. His sister was shadowed by C’alain. Equal yet opposite. The modern incarnations of Typha’s Houses had forgotten this. Those they deemed Common had not. They still honored the old ways.

            The inferno was coming.

            The Hidden House and Lying House would be unmasked.

*****

            Y’lansa Odessen shared a private moment with her father. They hadn’t seen each other in years. While Eliza was cartwheeling from side to side of the tram, trying to drink in everything the Utasa Sector Admiral turned to A’tan, >>I never thought I’d say this but its good to be home.<< He knew she meant the antics of House life. He eyed J’ino’s daughter, delighting in her reactions to what was simple science to him. He sat gingerly into the hoverchair. Y’lansa noted, “Do you want Lorain to take a look at that old wound of yours?”

He nodded. “I hear she is a veritable Light Shaman when it comes to the healing arts!”

            Y’lansa snorted, “That woman is probably the deadliest thing in the known universe.” The military officer knew those who walked with a certain kind of glint. Whatever had happed with Lorain over the past few months granted that young woman a rather daunting realization. Y’lansa was glad someone like that was watching their backs. Especially Eliza’s.

            As if summoned Lorain walked over to examine A’tan, “I hear you got that in your Survey Corp days dear sir.”

            His yellow irises widened. He put on airs of dignity, “Where did you hear that my good doctor? Has my daughter been gossiping?!” Lorain rested a hand on the older Typherian’s forehead. His black hair had touches of gray at each temple. That marked him as being middle-aged for the longer-lived.

            Lorain’s power weaved throughout A’tan with waves of restoration. He groaned as old bones and fractures filled with new growth. Even beyond what their rejuvenation regimens could achieve. The wound had been inflicted by a Void Walker contraption. He had been lucky that the medics had been able to reattach the leg at all. He found his eyelids growing heavy as sleep took him.

            Y’lansa thanked Lanis, “Do you know what…”

            Lanis replied, “He still had remnants of Keeper nanites in his immunity nodes. Preventing the bone from knitting properly.” She didn’t mention that she had Eliza translate the deactivation codeword. Most didn’t realize what the Sister had done to her Captain. She’d keep it that way for now. Lanis manipulated the nanites within. Since they were organic-based and not metallic or artificial. They would be gone after he used the refresher. Gulliver shared a look with Lorain, <<My brother and I are on it. House Genetic Evil will be missing its primary records soon. With a bit of magic and other wise Royal Ummatosh bird tatics.>>

            She wanted to see just how much of X’mil’s line was enslaved to Set.

*****

            Deep within the Core of Typha, under miles of rock and magma, the Throne awaited its Heralds, each step bringing them closer to the mantle of the Infinite. Within the Weave surrounding the planet, the emissaries of Unity writhed about. Waiting for that same call. The blood of Trillions lying in wait. To serve the Soul beyond the Black Gates.

            To a future yet to be born.

Issue 2: Here

Issue 4: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment