Friday, May 14, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Hidden Legacies Issue 7

 

Issue 7: Last Rites

 

            What do I make of it all? Look, there’s a whole lotta mess out there. Eliza Murphy is one woman but she does tend to pull people in behind her. Take it as someone who’s been super critical of her most of her active demi life, nowadays I think she’s the real deal.—Anna McQuire

            Nola remains hidden. They think old Eddie just got lucky in the wife department. Her people? We want to keep them in reserve. They have a Dyson sphere circling their sun within the Weave as well. Let’s just say the standard for their people is triplets. There’s something in their brain chemistry that prevents them from becoming sleepers. Doc noticed it when she was testing Nola. Everyone on the crew has a complete checkup. Lorain is adamant about that. So we can stay free of “outside” influence.—Jonas “Eddie” Olsten

            Unless there was a big emergency, I hadn’t been back to New Ashbury for an extended point in time, Cooper took it like a champ. Barking as I held him over one shoulder. Big goofy doggie grin on his face. All the while smelling things, making sure there wasn’t some sort of hidden danger. Granted, we had to take into account these things. Most on Earth were the genuine article but like with anything else, villains didn’t have much of a boundary.—Sleeping In Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

New Ashbury (Texas)

Newline Spaceport

August 3rd, 2114

 

            I heard the holo cams before I saw them. My parents and Lorain were traveling light. The Jupiter Rising would be our home away from home for this venture. Dad mentioned our old studio apartment was ground zero for people who wanted to understand some Banner history. Granted, a good majority of our personal items weren’t present there but it had become a shrine of sorts. One that I didn’t want to examine too closely. I rather have pleasant memories. I know most respected our privacy but you always an outlier or three. I plastered a smile on my face as various news outlets crowded in.

            “What’s your take on…..!”

            As long as they believed Dexter to be a younger brother….

            The Curator phased through the crowd.

            His lips didn’t move but I could hear clearly.

            Even that shroud will fade. Aether’s machinations will not last. You must be ready.

            This was why most House political darlings ignored Dexter for now. Outside of constant “breeding” requests. Queen Guiviere requested that I take the brunt for now. Most of humanity was just surface-level curious. With questions like, “Who inspired you? When did you get your powers?” That sort of thing. Moonlighter’s voice scratched against my skin. He had phased inside me to hide!

            <<Hilary is back. She knows. She uses the old Keeper transit asteroid. CAP insisted we keep it pristine. Undisturbed.>>

            I kept my face cheerful. Responding to the goodnatured questions. All the while my mind swirled with possibilities. Who would she go after? The Queen of Avalon had told me the banishment would be temporary. If I had to guess? She’d wait until my attention was elsewhere.  If anything she’d probably go after Anna’s husband and son. Or even Lorain’s mother. She had never liked either woman. Especially after Anna embarrassed her. I wondered if it would be wise to put most of those I loved onto Project Freefall. But I dismissed it almost immediately. That would put the Dyson sphere in danger. Along with the Markav Collective ships.

            While we had developed a counter agent to Human Sleeper nanites via Mr. Fletcher we still had to make inoculations based on three types: Demi, Standard, or Light Shaman. The invading nanites mutated wildly depending on a person’s baseline. One brush of luck, Weave Speakers were immune to Sleeper Programs.

            Which meant Anna’s boy was immune. So was Jacob. Samatha. Those two had hints of Speaker. Not to the extent of their mother but enough that the nanites couldn’t gain a foothold. Jacob also had a knack for Weave symbols. Dad thought it was mostly due to how Jacob’s mind keyed in on mechanical patterns. Me? I think he had a demi ability. We just didn’t know what it was. Maybe hyper pattern recognition? I waved to the crowd and shook the hand of a former schoolmate. He clapped me on the back and said, “Heard we got quite the gathering this year. Everyone wants to talk to ya!”

            Professor Nara paged me, <<We have some initial readouts for Litari refinement!>> Which meant the initial batches were ready for them. He had remained by the side of the Litari Matriarch we had rescued from the Sister. She had no name, didn’t desire one, so I just called her Mama Bear. That was as true as anything else.

*****

            Hilary had traveled back to her asteroid hideout.

The news was swarming Murphy. Bardaxian, Litari, Typherian, Human, all of them hanging on every word. Murphy’s face was relaxed. Her eyes the typical Typherian setup now. Had it all been a joke with Area 51? Hilary hissed and clenched the arms of the biomatrix as it realigned her spine. Preparing it for new implants. She had to grow her own from her hybrid flesh. The pain gave her focus. A glint of cold durametals rested against her neck. Nyx decloaked.

She croaked, “I have no idea what your game is Hybrid filth but you will not dethrone your father. It is folly to even think it. I should open you up and study your wretched insides but I know you hate that Typherian Hybrid more. “ The metal bit into her flesh. Drawing a thin trickle of green blood. Reminding Hilary that she wasn’t truly human anymore. The Sister snarled, “Even your blood rings false. We do not bleed. Not as you do!” The cross-scarred face leaned in. Her breath light on Hilary’s cheek.

“You may keep the foolish Dominion moniker. You will rule nothing but dust.”

The elder Void Walker disappeared. Leaving no trace behind.

Hilary snarled, “I will add you to the list you hag.” Her voice flat. She brought a mirror to her face. The skin sealing. But not before she saw a glimpse of scales underneath. A gift from Set? What was she? Was her mind even her own?

*****

Set watched.

The faint glow of the machines inside the asteroid reflecting in the dark mirrors before him. Carrying the sounds beyond the supposed hideout. He tried to breach the Weave around the Sol system but the mirrors didn’t have enough power to breach it. He would watch. Using his ears and eyes to crack that armor. He had to find out what was within. He used to be able to glean things from Earth. His fist clenched.

“Even one such as I must make sacrifices!”

Even the Sister didn’t remember the true history of Eliza Murphy. The false memories of the J’kua held firm for now. No matter. He would use them all to forge the Twins of Prophecy into the tools he would need to replace Unity. If they performed to his satisfaction he would grant them a boon. Maybe even let them keep their human pets. Everything else? He would gorge upon the souls of the Endless. He watched as Nyx paced within her Null Ship.

He also wondered. How had someone copied Hilary’s biosignatures? Even his mirrors weren’t able to replay that rescue. Since the ship in question had been destroyed. Lost inside a territory cleansed by the echoes of the Ancients. He suspected J’kua interference. He had convinced Nyx to “spare” Hilary. Nudging the Sister’s suspicions towards what happened during the escape. J’ino would be perfect for creating all sorts of delicious berserkers for Unity. He let her believe herself protected. She would know differently soon enough.

How ironic that it was the angelic embryo within Nyx that allowed him access to the Void Walker’s body and psyche. The very creation of the Weave allowing for such a perversion was delectable to him.

*****

            I floated a few feet off the ground. Our old High School lit up the night sky with shimmers of color. DJs from all over the world had gathered. Mostly for charity events. My parents were in Terran-style clothing. Dad in his US Army dress mess uniform. The one I remember from their wedding photos. Mom wore a nice green dress. With her House sash wrapped around her waist. A half jacket of white rested on her shoulders. I knew it now, made a whole heap of sense, added to mom’s demure position.  It had been a shock to my system to know how conservative she was within her social circles. At least the Typherian ones. Mom used the metal in her bracelets to pull me back to the ground. She asked, “Get that head of yours out of the clouds!” Her voice was a mix of nostalgia and wisdom. Yes, some things had changed drastically but I replied, “You got it, Space Lady!”

            Dad turned as a set of high beams pulled in. Grandma exploded from the hovercar. “This time I brought the drinks!” I grinned. “What kinda chaperon are you, gran gran?!”

            She winked, my much younger aunt rolling her eyes, cutting in with, “Mom. You are embarrassing me!”

Michelle Murphy. She had displayed some demi abilities but for her protection, it was sealed behind some very high-end Terran Alliance black ops. Grandpa Murphy hoisted her to his shoulders, “Don’t worry Bee, it's all above board! No adult drinks!” She eyed my father critically. “Brother.”  Dad turned. His eyes scanning the area.

Dad replied, “What’s up?” Prolong created interesting situations. Mom nudged me.

>>You should have seen our family lines. My grandmother ended up having other children much later in life. Even for our extended procedures. It’s rare for a Typherian to remarry.<<

Michelle giggled, “Made you look!” The Amarche gathered. Their eyes locking onto me.

A reunion to be remembered.

The distant shouts of energized conversation cascaded over me.

*****

            Queen Guinevere adjusted her civilian attire. She wore a simple white dress. Her blonde hair was pinned up. Press credentials at the ready. Eliza had already noticed her but kept up appearances. Greeting the various classmates, Bardaxians, Commons, and Litari reporters. The old class of 2092 logo flashing on the main auditorium. Augustus the Corgi riding on Eliza’s shoulders. Barking to his adoring fans. They still played vids of him making off with most of the graduation cake. It was later discovered he had eaten all of it.

            The ruler of Avalon sent out a veiled burst of Light Shaman protection magic. The waters had shown her the face of an old foe. Morgana Feylara. Otherwise known as the Lady of Chains. Many had held the title but she was the originator. Usually bestowed upon the most powerful of Dark Shamans. If the wolfsbane bloomed…..

            She clutched her amulet. Feeling the metal tingle under her palm. Without her staff, she felt naked but it couldn’t be helped. It was the one surefire way to gain access to Avalon. She couldn’t risk it. As the owner of said weapon, she could teleport herself to it, but its warning echoed: The Wolf will Howl at the end of Last Rites.

*****

            Mom snapped, >>I swear if someone else even…..<<

            Dad wrapped a protective arm around her. While I took the other side. We left the throng of people behind. Doc, Eddie, and Nola forming a triangle of privacy behind us. My nostrils flared as I picked up the light scent of tears. I cocked my head to the side. It was there. Stifled sobs. I set Augustus down. He whined. Keeping up the act of being a simple Earth dog. He had followed Cooper’s example. Everyone followed. Mom muttered, >>I don’t like this. What’s on your radar Space Cadet?<<

            >>Someone under duress.<<

            Doc pulled on my old black flight jacket. I was in the same setup from my Banner premiere. USA flag sleeveless white t-shirt. Blue faded jeans. Big brown workboots. Union circlet in place. That was the key difference. I would never remove it. She snapped, “It could be a trap.” I nodded.

            “I still want to help.”

            Eddie glanced at his wife’s mirror. It was the size of a compact for now.

            She nodded, “It speaks of hidden vines.”

            That didn’t comfort me. I ascended the stairway. Opening the doors to the library. Within was a tear-streaked black-haired teenager. She held a knife to her chest, blackthorns twisting about her. I could hear them hissing coyly, “Do it, child. Do it. Become like sand. Grown within us. We will release you.”

            I raised my voice. It carried to her, “Hey now. Who are you? Can we help?”

            White’s panic rose. <<Dark Shaman.>>

            The Amarche clustered in the left corner. Pointing at a black scrawl that clung to the wall. It also weaved itself about the girl. I examined her with my other senses. Basic bone structure. Heart. All the required internal factors. This was a real girl before us. Nola hummed. Softly at first. A counterspell perhaps? The girl’s dark brown eyes raised. Dad stiffened. Our INet connections were disabled.

            Lorain withdrew her firearm. The energy indicator a blazing white color. Dad aimed at the girl’s head. While Doc covered the heart. Mom readied a barrier. Using matter manipulation to convert the various chairs and electronics in the room to a metallic sheet that hummed at a higher frequency.

            She cackled, “This is the one who will slay Unity? Preposterous. Oh, Guinevere. How foolish. No matter. I wanted to see what my son was hiding. Little White thing. Within the body of an infertile tomb.”

            White didn’t respond. I stopped Eddie. He couldn’t spot this. Since it was of Creation itself. It was the Amarche that warned me. This thing couldn’t see them. I spat on the ground. Activating the gossamer trap. The witch pouted, “No fun. But I have to go. This girl was easy to pluck apart.” The girl collapsed within the chair. Its emergency functions shooting out to cradle her comatose form.

            Guinevere burst into the room. Energy crackling within her palms.

            She sneezed, “Wolfsbane.” Upon the floor around the girl were petals. Purple.

            Doc let out a pent-up breath. Her heart rate was steady.

*****

            Lorain tested her INet connection. Everything was back up to code. Various Light Shamans were notified. They would have to integrate greater wards on the tech. Even her av-grav gun had flickered for a moment. Nola murmured, “You will need to go low tech for some situations.” Lorain’s mind flashed to their first meeting. They had been fairly advanced tech-wise but used basic weapons against the Living Stone. Nola continued, “It is because Light Shaman enchantments follow the basic elements of the universe. Metal, fire, stone, and flesh.”

            Doc responded, “With flesh being paramount.”

            The Tarvelian grinned, “Yes. For both dark and light.”

            Eliza grabbed a piece of paper. Making marks upon it. Nola shuddered.

            “Black scrawl. She was a very powerful wicked thing.”

*****

            I handed it to Guinevere. Her lips compressed. Eyes hard as stone. “Mordred’s teacher.”

            Her tone indicated that this woman was a thorn best approached carefully.

            I waited. The party downstairs wouldn’t start for a while.

            Doc knelt and examined the girl, “She’s gonna need some Light Shaman assistance.” I zipped out the back end of the school. Moonlighter meeting me by the old football field bleachers. His smile was knowing. “I will help.” He phased inside me. I was back within a blink.

            As he worked on the young woman I asked, “What is this black scrawl?” I didn’t mention that the Amarche pointed it out to me. The Queen sighed, “For that, I will have to go into Mordred’s sordid past.”

Mom formed chairs around us.

Returning most of the material in the room to normal.

            Guinevere began, “In the time of…..”

Issue 6: Here

Issue 8: Here

2 comments:

  1. So the implants are grown not built. That would make sense and make sure there is no rejections. Probrably true for Humans and other races as well.

    How chivalrous of Nyx not to kill the person she believed betrayed her while she was vlunerable. I guess the Keepers have some redeeming qualities.

    Also to be a nephew but be older than your aunt. I bet that's akward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Prolong lifespans make for interesting family setups. But whole family won't play super big roles. In fact: Some Murphy clan will just be, "Hey! I love being a cook or in Michelle's case? Defense Lawyer." With some metal bending demi powers. She will leave the Protectorate stuff to other Murphy's.

      PS: Set is the one who influenced that sparing action on Nyx's part. Because he keyed in on her through the Angel embryo within. He wants Hilary to do more damage. Since all the villains are into using either other basically.

      Delete