Sunday, May 30, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Hidden Legacies Issue 13

 

Issue 13: Long Forgotten Lore

 

            It took 3 days but the asteroid drifted to the Darkside of the gas giant. It was a close thing. The ship took some damage as we FTL’d out. Those scout fighters are much faster than they used to be. Luckily the Spinster was able to tap into the nervous systems of the pilots. She caused them to blackout. Unfortunately, they survived. The automated defenses of their ships prevented them from drifting into the gas giant.—Medusa

            I stay with Medusa for convenience for now. What did I want? I wish to find my mirror. To see what has been made of me within this universe. Do I possess that old beauty? Friends? Family? If so, I will take this version’s body. And live out the life I was meant to have. Medusa calls me Hag, castoff, in her private thoughts yet I am the reason she still lives. I will make her remember that eventually.—The Spinster

            At the time, Lorain was reluctant to go over some events that happened within that five-year slice within the Tower/Pandora’s Box. I’d eventually get it out of her when we had our stint inside it. She was cautious about other aspects of “healing.” She could take energy from other beings and apply that to heal wounds as well. It was a scenario Bardaxian Light Shamans had foreseen. It would play a role with the Crystal Coffin. As they call it now in the historical vids. That point in my life? I do not like to dwell on it much.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Project Freefall

Light of Emris

The Tower Islands

 

            We had been here for a year already. Me, Doc, Cooper, and Augustus.

            For Lorain? This was like coming back to a slice of home in some ways. Like before, we’d spend 5 years in here. While only a day occurred outside of this realm. Aether had explained that this was a proper learning tool once more. I could see why. Races that had access to prolong utilized these in the past. More than training skills. Sometimes these things would be used to evacuate endangered populations. It didn’t look it but it could fill 1000s within. We had transported supplies in first. But Doc had a knack for gardening. Even now she was harvesting some fresh tomatoes. Her face was utterly relaxed.

            We mainly used the time to get her acclimated to her Yellow Defender powers. The basics as Cooper reminded us daily. I joined her. Needing to brush up with White’s particular abilities. Another J’kua notification popped up. While here I could consult the Ur-Stone directly. I didn't ask for sensitive information. Like Time Travel theory for instance. Because of the Keeper DNA experiment pulled by Sister Nyx, she had inadvertently made me a bridge for the J’kua to operate from. How’s that for a double-edged sword?

            I wondered for the hundredth time: Did the Weave know how everything would play out? Was I a complete circle for it? Always going about, no matter the universe, to correct things or get involved just because I wanted to help?

            White materialized next to me. Resting her head on her paws. She rumbled, “Indeed. You might not exist in every universe but what makes you vital is that cheery outlook!” I floated a few inches off the ground. Just letting the sun warm my bones. It was a slice of paradise. White padded over to Lorain. Talking to the Yellow Defender belt around her waist. Doc rolled her eyes heavenward, “No. I can regulate that all on my own!” Her face turned red as she glanced in my direction.

            White interlinked with the other belt, <<Ahh! That is good! Means you can take the constructs…>> Lorain replied to “Goldielocks”, a name she thought apt. Since her belt tended to be overly curious about everything. Then again: It was an aspect of Intellect. So I thought it fit Lorain. She had veritable rivers of curiosity. She aimed one well-placed tomato in my direction. I caught it in my mouth. Grinning as I took a bite. It was gone in an instant.

            I could have quite the appetite when I wanted.

            Cooper floated next to me. The emerald outline barely visible. His tail wagged.

            His low huff, <<Excellent! I was not the only one ignorant of Doctor Lanis’ stamina!>>

            I shushed him. “How about seeing what Augustus is up to?”

            I rose higher into the air. The max in this place was about 2 miles.

            I spotted the corgi along the beach. He was moving some metal balls with his telekinesis ability. In the intervening year here he had made quite the progress. Granted, he had been pretty even-keeled in training but something here added another layer. A white hologram manifested next to me. Aether bowed his head. “You are correct! This place stimulates brain activity and synapses to increase skill retention.”

            Aether winked, “And we might have added a bit more to Auggie in the process.”

            Cooper bounced back and forth. His green energy crackling, <<Yes! This is good. Augustus is very wise.>>

            I reached out as my hand passed through the hologram. The energy dancing up my spine. A jolt shot through me, “I don’t just have what Sister Nyx put in me. You’ve added something while I’ve been here.” He nodded.

            Forstalling more questions by stating, “Yes, those memories are blocked off. We added a special conduit to this particular training sphere. But it’s only active while you are here. We’ve already told Doc. She’s been monitoring you for any fluctuations.”

            The J’kua glanced down. “We would never have done anything without your physician’s consent. Unlike Nyx, we rather ask than force more upon others. You agreed, not as you are but as you will be.”

            Ahh, future me. This all tied to whatever would happen once I struck Unity well and properly. He nodded,   “Correct. It will use everything you know against you. The Ur version, as you dub it, is from after that event.”

My mind reeled.

            A closed-circuit then. Like one of those old holovids. I had my suspicions. Based on how Dexter, Doc, Mom, and Dad danced around certain events or impressions. Plus I still had some key gaps in my memory. Specifically relating to my future self. Even the daring duck duo knew things beyond everyone else. V’alkor kept assuring me of the river and eddies of events. How the Commons must be split from a majority of Houses. He didn’t just mean from our universe either. I flew down to the beach. Cooper and Aether on my heels. Landing with a soft thump near Augustus. He barked excitedly and ran over to me. His little legs putting on a burst of speed.

            <<I can juggle 15 metal balls! They roll and float where ever I want! EVEN TO SPAAAAACE!>> I picked him up. Hugging him to my chest. “Who’s a good boy?!”

            He wiggled. Nubby tail going wild.  <<I AM! Bacon?!>>

            Those expressive brown eyes locked onto mine.

            “Yeah, let’s go get some bacon.”

*****

            Lorain glanced at Aether, “No rejection of J’kua tech implants and DNA codifiers. When the time comes it will overwrite what the Sister did.” Eliza hoisted Cooper up on one shoulder. With Auggie on the other. “So it’s a super spy vs super spy setup?” Lorain removed her gardening gloves. Fanning her face with her sunhat. It was mild weather here but she used the motion to marshall her thoughts.

            She planted a kiss on her captain’s cheek, “Yup. The thing is: You are one of the chess masters. Along with the Weave.” Eliza’s eyes widened, “That’s quite a turn. Since for the moment, it's all compartmentalized!” Murphy bit her lip, “There are days I don’t feel all that smart. To be frank.”

            Aether responded, “Your future self didn’t demand it but heavily encouraged. Since she had already gone through the main event. So remember, she has context you do not. From what I saw of her, even from the start, with what was hidden in her eyes…..”

            Even through the burst of holo energy, both women saw the J’kua’s fingers trembling, dark gray and black eyes drowning with memory. He continued, voice low, “What you will endure will take you well beyond what you are now. You will be reforged. More than just a shield. An Arbiter. A standard for Light to rally around.”

            Eliza had to strain to hear the last part, even for her level of super hearing. “We will need you beyond Unity’s fall. The Golden Path remains.”

            Murphy felt a tug on her ear. Lorain pulled Eliza towards the two-story cabin she had helped to craft when they first got here. Neither of them wanted to disturb the Tower on the northern edge of the island. It was made of a wooden outer surface with modern materials within. No INet connections of course. Just Aether and his J’kua medics and scientists adding to a stasis induced Eliza the materials needed to secure the future. Lorain knew she was skirting the edge of what future Eliza wanted but they both knew that. During those blackouts, Lanis would have a few conversations here and there. Never quite broaching the subject of the Crystal Coffin. It was a vivid moment for Lorain. Knowing that the Trials of the Ordained had revealed a chaotic version of that dreaded event. She leaned into Murphy for a moment. Clutching at the Union bracelet.

            Everything would be fine.

            She’d make sure of it.

            The hollowed-out gaze of Ur-Eliza haunted Lorain’s dreams. The spark of Light was still there but what she had gone through, Lorain pushed past it, focus on the here and now. Eliza’s voice crackled with concern for Lorain, “It’s gonna be ok Doc.” A small smile formed on Lorain’s face in response.

            “Cornfed, you are the ultimate optimist!”

            Doc’s disquiet grew. Why was Ur-Stone Eliza always cloaked in that Typherian burial shroud? Simple white dress shirt and black pants. Her bare feet and hands were marked with dark blue ink. She could never see the tracing in minute detail. Why never any moment beyond the strike on Unity?

*****

            I relayed a message to Aether. ///Next time you see future me, tell her not to worry Doc as much. Or maybe get a change of clothing. What I am wearing disturbs her greatly.///

            Aether responded, ///Noted. We will blur out more. Maybe just have her focus on the face. There is a reason for everything. Even for what you will wear within the Crystal Coffin.///

            Lorain’s hands tightened around my waist. The sun began to dip over the horizon. Another 4 years to go. I would endure. I had to.

For my family’s sake. For Lorain.

For everyone.

The Tower Islands

Fields of Isis

            I picked the unusual orange flowers.

Lorain wanted to make more salves. Year 2 and she was slowly opening up about the more distressing side of her healing abilities. One? She’d live much longer than the best prolong available. I got the impression that she’d outlive Dexter and me by a good margin as well. No wonder she researched into her powerset so diligently.  Watching what you love fade into the distance while you went on rolling with a near-infinite wheel? My thoughts turned to Gwenivere.  Yet Arthur came back around. Reborn into a new body. His previous memories were kept safe by the Intez within him. Much like President Marshall’s Intez and his family’s long association with Aether. Cooper floated above me. Chasing Auggie back and forth. The Lanis family dog could now move about without the assistance of his bardaxian demi suit. He would still use it of course but now could propel himself telekentically to simulate flight. Lorain jumped onto my back. “Forward march!” Her green eyes were bright under the mid-day sun. I’d let her have her fun. Questions could wait a while longer. We had needed this recharge for a while.

*****

            Lorain rested against Murphy’s chest. Listening to the soothing rhythm of her heartbeat. A far stronger thrum since their early days. When she had met Eddie and Eliza, even her budding healing abilities had sensed just how messed up her then 8-year-old friend’s systems had been. Twisted by Nyx. What D’iaxi and Aether had to remove from her spine was the saving grace of the situation. Hiding Dexter had been paramount. Because in those injuries their enemies hadn’t realized the true potential of White’s host.

            Eliza had been written off as defective.

            Lorain mustered up the courage to speak, “I’m going to live eons. I talked to Gweneiver about it.” Eliza’s arms tighted around Lorain. Lorain felt a lump rising in her throat. “That’s the not worst part though. I can steal life. Give it to others. Inflict pain instead of healing. What kind of monster would I have been if….”

*****

            She wasn’t able to finish. I pulled her into my arms and sprang skyward. When she got like this the open air seemed to help. I aimed for the outermost island on this chain. Aether had me assist with constructing a few more buildings. Other J’kua would be staying here once we left. He wouldn’t allow me into the building along the southernmost chain. Emris had teleported certain items into the Training Sphere. Cooper asked, <<Bardax has always known. We will help! Our faith is strong!>>

            Doc sobbed. “Is mine even able to match?”

            I landed near the glittering waterfall.

I cupped her chin, bringing her face up to mine, “100%!”

Her tears subsided after a while.

We watched the sun go down. The vast array of stars overhead mapping out other galaxies. Universes. Aether was comforting us in his way. Letting us know we weren’t alone.

The Tower Islands

The Crystal Repository

               

Greeter met the Music Player in the dim glow of the most protected room in the whole multiverse. Even more so than the Throne matrix within uncorrupted universes. They finished the last J’kua Light sigils on its surface. Bardax’s Shamans and Speakers had already woven their faith into it. The J’kua would add their knowledge and the part they had to play within Unity being born. So Eliza would have clear eyes to face the enemy while on the other side of the Divide. That great unknown. To mere mortals that is. Greeter did not envy Murphy in that aspect. So much was riding on her even if her current self wasn’t aware of the total weight just yet. Only the primaries of J’kua society had ascendance names. Like Aether. The rest were merely denoted by jobs or nicknames to facilitate communication with other races.

            No, she did not want to think of events to transpire.

            So she worked hard. Adding to the weave within the coffin. Next would be Typherian blessings. The lost tribe of Light returning to the Multiverse would trigger more events. They would have to be ready. She knelt by the shimmering material. Crystal clear yet woven with materials only fully comprehended by the Weave.

            “May the Whole of Creation forgive us. Through us great evil was borne.”

            She hoped the Weave was listening.

            Music Player continued to enter the notes within the Crystal Coffin. Eliza would need it to break free of the falsehoods woven about Unity. The lies that had taken so many down the dark endless abyss must not take her as well. Like it seduced Chronos. Forever would his name be remembered as a warning. Not all knowledge should be unearthed. He blinked rapidly. His skill laying the foundation for the Litari matriarchs to add their songs as well. All would contribute to this endeavor. The one bathed in starlight would be reborn. To guide the Ourobouros to the Golden Path of Creation.

            To restore all that was lost.

            A new beginning.

            Free from the sway of Unity’s deconstruction and fabrication.

The Tower Islands

Sea of Cosmic Light

            As I reached out to touch the carpet of stars, my fingertips brushed up against another universe. A familiar thrum greeted me. Eliza Odessen sat upon the Throne of her Typha. Safeguarding the matrix. Akin to what my grandfather once did. Her mother and father to the right. Her husband on her left. Their children arrayed before them. Each with a demi spark. She faced me, “Watch the way of Avalon. The Morrigan’s child will attempt to corrupt the heart of Earth’s Weave.”

            Her eyes rolled back into her head, “The Golden Path awaits you.”

            I pulled my hand back. The night sky on the Island so clear. Doc flew out to me. Her golden battlesuit a mix of her Doc Impossible demi setup and that of a yellow defender. Where it was once green, while the belt was active, it glowed with an inner radiance. Like fall leaves against the sunrise. Our time here was coming to an end. Already 4 years had passed. While Aether had been reinforcing my body with implants, Doc had been reinforcing my bones, organs, every nerve ending. When the fight with the All-Father came, it would still be striking but it wouldn’t damage me as badly as Doc would have feared. I merely had to endure. To keep his attention on me. While D’iaxi and his father would take the sleeping Lady from the Ziggaraut. That is what Aether relayed to me on my future orders.

            It would also give Dexter a chance to throw his weight in with Black.

            We would end this. One way or another.

            As the sun rose, a fleeting image of entwined trees appeared before me.

            White and Black. Along with every color of Defender imaginable.

            Gather them. Every array. Some Defenders sleep within the great dark.

            I zipped around Lorain, “Want to race? Get those muscles of yours pumping?!”

            She smiled, “Challenge accepted Cornfed!”

            I would find them all.

            No matter what universe that Defender resided in. No one would be left to the shadow.

Issue 12: Here

Issue 14: Here

2 comments:

  1. Spy vs Spy eh. But is Lorain the white spy or the black spy?

    The UEF throne is back online? So they managed to get it working agian despite no Ayeers. Good for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. That will be revealed in time. WEE!Lorain, the Eliza and Ur-Eliza, which are going to have quite the conversation soonish. Along with more UEF stuffs.

      Delete