Friday, June 25, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Hidden Legacies Issue 25

Issue 25: A Clash of Wills

 

            They want me. My body has been changed in ways to tap into whatever plans the Weave has. I have to go. I have to get my son back. Ith’aria took my baby boy, we named him Vincent. Wanted to have another V in the family. No signs of demi abilities just yet. I know he will be safe with Odessen and Adm. Lanis. What’s the craziest part? Her husband has no idea what she does for a living. He’s just living quietly as can be within New Ashbury. Thinking his wife does normal missions for the Terran Alliance. I can see why Mary would want it so. Just to have normal conversations.—J’ino Murphy

            With how everything went down? Eliza still insisted I heal everyone else first. I know she heals fast. Ludicrous levels of it since I went through her systems on a microscopic level. Triage was needed. The Artock had no will to live. I still wake up screaming about what she found within the lead ship of that raiding fleet.—Lorain Lanis

            The worst feeling? Grandpa knew what would happen. Because I had told him. Or rather Ur-Me yet to exist. So many stories make time travel out to be convoluted. From my experience? As I know it now? A closed circle. One that was made possible by the Weave itself. You can quote me on that.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Captial Artock Vessel

Moon Point Delta (Orbit of Hin’la)

Typherian Space

 

                It was the early morning rotation back on Earth.

Had it been a day already? November 2nd.

I had managed to disable a quarter of the invading Artock fleet. Dexter had secured other avenues. Saying that I should give special care to the ruined hulk orbiting the main Typherian moon. Cooper and Auggie were next to me. Determined that I wouldn’t enter that enemy ship alone. The Bardaxian scout ships were still cloaked. Patrolling the outer edges of the system.  I hoped D’iaxi and the others were ok. I had sent messages but no response registered. I frowned as Y’lansa approached. Her skin was covered in rejuvenation bands. One arm stuck in an immobilizing casing. She grinned ruefully. “I’m not the type of leader to sit behind a desk.”

I asked, “How’s my grandfather?”

She replied, “Stable. Thanks to Lanis and the waters of the Healing House.”

I attempted to com my father. No response. I asked Dexter, >>Where is everyone?<<

He replied, >>In route. Remember what I said, get on that ship, have your special skills go over it.<<

He meant White and the Amarche.

I turned in shock as Matarn stepped out onto the docking platform. His face grim. “I will also join you. I'll explain later.” I waved him forward.

“Let’s get down to business then.”

The Amarche flowed around us like a procession of priests. One remarked, “Do you see it, Scion? Silver blessed?”  

That was a new one.

I usually got Scion, Bearer, or even Wielder out of them. It was lost on me they called my friends and family by similar titles. I imagine I’d know the threads in time. I even mentioned it to Arthon a time or two. He had leaned back in his chair. Disturbed. “I’ll look into it on the Muthra end.” They had purged the Sleeper cells from At’lan. Only allowing Arthon and a select few others to leave the Terraformer. I shook my head.

“Enough woolgathering. Let’s see what’s there.”

            As we entered midship near the warp core, which I had ripped from its bearings during the massive firefight, a display overlayed itself over my optics. All in Artock. Emerald K-9 growled low in his throat. <<This place echoes with the footprints of sorrow.>> Auggie perched on my shoulders. Using his telekinesis to hold himself in place. He was in his Yellow Bullet setup. That bardaxian battlesuit had all the needed accessories. The sight had made many Typherians perk up. Bardaxians had that effect on decent folks.

            Cooper licked my hand. The slight hum of his green defender barriers adding a surreal quality to it all but the gesture was appreciated. Scorch marks along the walls indicated firefights as we traveled down the main artery of the ship. I averted my eyes when we came upon Void Walker writ. The very presence of it sending waves of nausea through me. It usually didn’t adversely affect me but after the fight with the All-Father, my inner reserves were empty. Matter manipulation was no joke. It was one of the reasons why those with a certain level of mastery with it were feared and respected.

            I glanced at the words.

            We ofter the Great Void this Gift of Flesh. May it serve the Master of All.

            Matarn reached out to steady me. <<What is it?>>

            I scanned the area. Beyond the bulkheads of the Command Deck, a  mass of flesh moved. I could hear it. The multitudes of heartbeats. <<The whole crew is in the main CIC. Merged I think. Based on the noise.>>

            The emergency lights flickered.

            This area wouldn’t have power for much longer. Cooper removed a panel. Linking his belt to the exposed wiring. A rough computerized voice bellowed, <<All personnel to the bridge!>>

*****

            Thomas Murphy blocked his wife from entering the Javelin. “I know you want to go after Tobin right now but we still need the information from White. We can’t let you walk into that trap.” She curled her fists into his uniform. Her face deadly calm. The tremors running through her fingers the only indication of her rage. Thomas pulled his wife in close.

            “We will get them both back.”

            J’ino sucked in a breath, “How?”

            “Arthon’s research into the Sleeper nanites. All those tissue samples Doc has of you? From when she was repairing Eliza’s nodes? Let’s just say we can mimic you coming with us. While you remain here on Earth!”

            Thomas’s face took on a bleak expression, “We will have to react properly of course. So you will pilot the bio-mech suit.”

            J’ino shuddered and huddled against Thomas for warmth.

            That project must have given Lorain pause.

She hated using her demi powers for such experiments.

Typha

Argax City

November 2nd, 2115

           

Lorain Lanis finished closing the last of the wounds on the civilians resting on the med trams. Lined up in neat rows to make surgeries or rejuvenation therapies easier on the rest of the medical staff. Her bleary eyes watering as one of the King’s Own caught her before she could hit the deck. M’taris decloaked next to her. “Let’s go. You need rest.” Her tone brooked no arguments. Lorain sagged between the two Typherians. Not realizing just how close to collapse she truly was. Speech slurred as she said, “…..have to….”

The rest was lost to M’taris as the Queen Consort loaded Doc onto an evac shuttle. As they approached Jupiter Rising, positioned behind Typha’s largest gas giant, a lumbering green-blue orb of a planetary body, M’taris prayed.

Please keep my family safe.

Professor Nara unfurled from the alcove above the arriving shuttle.

“The Weave shall provide.” He had not done a seeking while within Typherian Space. But he could still sense some threads. They were bunching around the Triplets of Ayeer and Murphy. That song was hardly over. He would join his friends. Pandora was his ancestor and she had much to answer for. V’alkor strode out. Gathering the exhausted doctor into his arms. His wife resting her head on his arm.

“Our daughter is beside herself….”

*****

Auggie barked rapidly. Pawing at the main entryway to the CIC.

“I know. Something wicked this way comes.”

Matarn snorted. “I brought some containment spheres. Unfortunately, we will need the rotted flesh within that room.”

White ruminated, <<Ahh, so that’s why I am here as well. I will sift through the different patterns. Artock husks reside within that chamber. Along with another tune I haven’t felt in a long time…>> Matarn braced himself. I pried open the doorway. The durasteel was puddy within my hands. It was a relief. I almost felt normal again. I sucked in a breath, letting the absolute cold flow through my lungs, ice particles encased the room. The thing within the center of bodies howled. I left its head bare so Matarn could get his readings. White shouted, <<Weave preserve us, that isn’t Draken Nix, old Devil. Baseborn Wretch.>>

Seven eyestalks focused on me.

“I know you. I know the tears falling. I see you. White Mother.”

Auggie pulled a sphere from Matarn’s belt. It hung there. Motionless. Then it exploded outward. Covering the data streams behind the warbling mass. An orange bar indicated a download was halted.

Draken’s face was melded with other Artocks.

An amalgamation of horrific parts. Even roaches looked pleasant in comparison.

“My Grey Heralds see all!” Black scrawl dribbled from a lax set of mouths.

Matarn threw the containment spheres.

Pulling the organic morass into a tightly contained field. Tan goo hardening into a covering even I had trouble punching through. My eyes widened. It was laced with Dark Matter.

*****

Unity snarled.

The very sound splitting the newly born sun it was orbiting. Set had failed to mention that the White Mother lived. The scent of Matarn driving the entity to further madness. It thrashed. The souls within it crying out in terror as it swallowed another Universe whole. Adding to the countless numbers.

Unity paused. A ripple of awareness flooded its brain.

It plucked Set from his haven. There would be no more lies.

No way to hide from judgment.

Set quailed before the unfathomable depths of Unity’s direct gaze.

“You will learn.”

He screamed. The sound turning shrill.

The threads of his life hanging in the balance.

Artock Vessel

CIC

            Matarn cursed. In five different languages.

            “It knows. It felt your presence.”

            White snapped, <<Yet not which universe. We can be thankful for that. You closed off its puppet sight before that happened.>>

            Auggie barked happily, <<I did good! May I have some chicken?>>

The Scholar bowed, “Thank you, little brother. You can be certain of that meaty treat!”

Dexter entered. Resting his hands on the mucked-up display. “You know where that thing has to go Matarn. I'll handle this. Sis? I know it's asking a lot but can you go back to the Jupiter? Doc will be happy to see you.”

His eyes were troubled. Deep black circles stood out against his normally tan skin.

What had happened? I nodded. Reluctant to leave but complied. White’s disquiet prompted me to ask, “Is your cover still intact?” He replied, “For now.”

As I exited Matarn harshly stated, “Why did Aether ask….”

Auggie nipped my heels. While Cooper floated next to me. Barking his head off.

I scooped them both up. “I get it. No dropping eaves.”

Augustus snorted, <<Besides! The elders say this will help. I believe them.>>

I responded, “Wait? My corgi has more clearance?!”

His nub of a tail wiggled. <<I got to meet the one who sleeps within…>>

Emerald K-9 rested a paw on Auggie’s head, <<Say no more for now. Soon Star will know far too much!>>

A twitch ran up my spine. The Curator was next to me. A finger to his lips.

Beware certain types of Knowledge Eliza Murphy.

            I replied. Making sure to keep my mouth shut. Aiming my thoughts directly at him.

            I feel like a lamb to the slaughter.

            He winced. His reply sent a twitch of foreboding through me.

            Not a Lamb. A Lion, swift silver mane, to reignite the dawn.

Capital Ship M’cari

In orbit of Typha

           

The captain shouted, “Notify Admiral Y’lansa! Half the home fleet just FLT’d into the Dweller Gate. Destination Unknown!”

Panicked faces turned to their ship readouts. Not only that. INet’s proclamation cut through the din of shouting, <<Please be advised. House Population centers deserted. I repeat. House assets missing. Stand by for further updates.>>

House Cyphuskara

Medical Ward (Argax City)

November 2st, 2115

 

            E’ratha shouted. The doctors operating on her simply disappeared. Taken in a flash of amber light. She whimpered, “Act-Activate Self… self-repair. Healing Stage Critical.” The AI took over. Sealing her up and applying quick regen shots throughout her whole system. White spots clouded her vision. She grit her teeth. “Location of Dr. G’utarn!”

            The AI response, “Universe Unknown. Universe Unknown. Universe Unknown…..”

            She attempted to sit up but fell back as blood rushed to her head.

            Clammy fingers gripped her right arm. She choked back a scream as X’mil stared down at her. “Hello, Cousin. Having a problem slapping those above you?” He pulled out a knife and began cleaning his nails.

            She panted, “Why are you here?”

            He grinned. An unholy light gleaming in his eyes. “For the birth of course!”

            E’ratha fainted.

            The darkness filled with the mocking laughter of the All-Mother.

 

Issue 24: Here

Issue 26: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment