Friday, July 23, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Point Of Origin Issue 4

Issue 4: The Three Voices

 

            I finally have a piece of my Weave Sight back. I know now what I did was foolish. Yet I still carry doubts within. What can I do against the ocean of fate crashing around my sister? My family? How can I help them when I hardly know myself.—Gwen Murphy

            Gwen’s still wrapped tight. Out of all of us? I have no clue about what the future will bring. Almost glad my Weave abilities are a pale imitation of my sister’s. Jace has C’alain’s sword and a mantle to bear. Feels like another shoe is gonna drop. What kind of weight will the universe throw at me? I know it already put mom and dad through the wringer. Dexter told me as much about his birth. Many know Eliza’s exploits or events but my older brother? That was a tale. One he guarded closely.—Tobin Murphy

            To say the Kitan masters turned me into a piñata would be an understatement. But it was a valuable experience. They knew how to go on the offensive vs demis with some invulnerability factors. Even developing new techniques while I learned how to pack more of a punch without killing. I know some beings most certainly deserved it but I felt compelled to let the Weave decided the worth of their souls or where they would end up. No, looking back? I realize my true strength was reserved for taking out Unity and one final foe. Thoth. He might have started as a common murderer but became the ultimate vessel for Evil.—Sleeping In Starlight, a memoir of the 23rd century (vol 2)

The Temple of the Three

Whitehome

           

O’rioh knelt.

Placing the white tree before the doorway. His brother maintained his vigil upon the Dweller Gate. Even now it reeked of old death. The Terrans were examining it. If they could give all Dweller Gates the ability to jump through universes. Or even the ability to move, it would be an advantage. But if they mastered that? The enemy would eventually glean that trick as well. It would be a bridge to pass when the time came. The Murphy triplets approached. Jace had to leave Tyre behind. This journey was meant for him and his two siblings. For good or ill. He felt naked without his friend. The sword had seen much.

Gwen shivered. Her eyes darting to the side of the massive archway. There was no door. Just a slab of stone beyond pale gems lodged into its surface. Snow crunched under her feet. Tobin kept the cold from his bones. Covering Gwen and Jace as well. Yet O’rioh wasn’t fazed by the slosh soaking into his battle gear. He was never unarmed or without armor. A well-maintained green and white blaster hugged his left hip. His wild red hair pulled back into a tight knot.

The warrior called, “Approach and bear witness.”

Outside the courtyard, the rest of their family waited. For good or ill, this meeting would shape the fates of many. O’rioh strode past. Securing the gate behind him. Gwen tentatively stated, “So what are we supposed to do?”

Jace approached the doorway.

One segment of the archway lit up. Orange for the crackle of a fire. Tobin followed suit. Another portion was a deep blue. Gwen hugged herself and ran a hand through her black hair. Then she straitened her shoulders and followed her brothers. Her segment sparked. Like the very stars themselves. She bit back a yelp as the area around them blinked. Time slowed and they reappeared.

       The area around them was fashioned with white stones. Giant pillars overhead held up a multitude of Universes. Three cloaked figures stood around a pool of water. Gwen reached out to put herself between Tobin and Jace. As one they approached. The hooded figures said nothing at first. Tobin’s copper eyes narrowed as he saw wisps of threads between the hands of the figures. Their robes taking shape. One wore white. One wore black. The final figure’s robes reflected the cosmos. Voices called out. Masculine, feminine, and the Void.

      “Welcome. We have been waiting for you.”

*****

       I wrapped an arm around mom to stop her from pacing. “They will be ok.” Tyre was sheathed within his scabbard. Hooked around my waist for now. Eddie scanned the shadows around us. On edge for more surprise Swarm interruptions. I didn’t blame him. Everyone in this system remained armed and ready at all times. Even the children had special shields in case more of the Lord of Chain’s minions decided to attempt kidnapping.  My father was on the move. Staying cloaked with J’dax as they patrolled the area.The myths and warnings surrounding that foe made me ask C’alain about Typherian history.

        Even in his time, there had been rumors.

        C’alain arched a black eyebrow, “I recommend caution.”

        I nodded.

I was the only one who could hear him. Not even White could unless he wished it.

He was standing next to me. A faint blue outline around rather archaic armor.

It was primarily black. With a silver-white overcoat. Dark blue sash.

A faint wailing floated on the wind. I focused on it like Cooper on bacon.

A timwee. Native bird to the planet. I made sure by focusing on its heartbeat.

I kept telling myself it was nerves.

*****

            Tobin reached out to touch the threads. Impressions flowed.

            Black and White standing back to back. Smoke flowing around them. It was Rykah. The birth of Unity. The Three intoned, “Yet this is not the start of all.” The scene shifted. A world formed. Primordial yet full of life. Beings danced on lances of light. Wings forming. The Angelic Host. Hidan’s people. The Three pointed.

            “Yet they were not the only ones born that day.”

            Gwen stared wide-eyed. Not the Litari. The beings that Eliza often spoke of. Their eyes were white against the sheer darkness of their forms. The Amarche. They turned away from the Weave. Seeking adventures beyond the planet of their birth. Their curiosity overwhelming them. But in their naive blindness? The salvation of all. While they turned from the Weave, it made them invisible to the great torment. Unity didn’t know they existed. The Three chanted, “The White may be Mother of All yet she is changed by the Convergence. The Black dwells as the Father of All. Yet his purpose is changed as well. By the intervention of the other.”

           Jace asked, “Wait. What do you mean by that? I thought she improved Eliza. Granted her more abilities!”

            Gwen whispered, “No. Dexter and Eliza have strengthened Black and White.”

            Cowled heads turned.

    The scene shifted.

            They saw Black carring his sister. The landscape was barren. A young world yet to be born. His footsteps were heavy. Eyes turned skyward. “ARE WE FORSAKEN!?” White’s eyes fluttered open. All 3 of them. Her voice was soft, “No. Weakened. We failed my brother. We let…”

She fell asleep. Conserving her vitality. This place gave her very little sustenance.

Black clenched his teeth, “The Gates of Death are blocked. It consumes everything.”

Jace, Tobin and Gwen peered through the Oort cloud of this place. It was adjacent to Unity’s home universe. The copper tang of blood filled Jace’s mouth as he stared into that Abyss. He turned to the Three, “How can we help? What is our purpose. Who are we?”

The figures threw back their hoods.

Gwen reached out. Tobin’s face was marked with worries not yet known.

Tobin examined the silver lines within Gwen’s hair.

Jace gazed upon his future self.

Their older images intoned, “The Path of Ancients is not meant for us. Within the Lord of Chains is a failsafe. The original AI manufactured by the Artock before their corruption by Chronos. You must let him escape. He will infect the enemies' networks. For the Ark of the Covenant to save more lives.”

Jace blurted out, “That thing is real!?”

Future Gwen smiled, her face relaxing from her usual serious expression, “Indeed. Father and Dexter found it right under Unity’s nose. Worry not about its rescue. Here is what you need to do!”

*****

        Gwen ran over to us.

Her face more relaxed than I had seen it in many weeks, “Sorry sis. I was an idiot.”  

I replied, “You’ve been pretty hard on yourself.” She got this look. Like I had said something profound. She responded by pulling a piece of my sash, White really, from under my Ayeer cover. She hugged that part of White to her chest. “My brothers and I know what to do. What we were meant to do. Don’t you worry. S’imala!”

White’s tone sharpened. “Child. Where did you learn that word?” This was audible.

Oh boy. If she was doing that the whole world would come crashing down.

She wasn’t angry. Her aura spilled over. I nearly clutched my chest.

Pure terror cascaded through me.

The Curator filled in the meaning of the Word.

S’imala, the Final Resting Place. An ancient meaning. The first word.

Known only to Hidan’s people. Or so I had thought.

The final abode of the soul. The Curator’s fingers were unmoving on my shoulder. Digging in painfully. He leaned in closer. None else was able to see him for he was Amarche. Not residing in that corpse I greeted him with back at the Union Hall terrace back on Earth so long ago.

You will pass through S’imala. Changed.

Needed.

        Lorain paled, “What’s wrong Eliza?!”

        I looked around. The waves of despair sent me to my knees. My empathetic shields were useless. The sky went dark. The moons turned red. The Swarm alert cascading throughout my H.U.D. The Lord of Chains wanted to collect. I rose. My defender armor forming around my body.

        “Seal off the Temple.”

        O’rioh didn’t hesitate.

His words were guttural. Chopped in the way of shorthand chanting.

            The city sirens echoed outward. Dad’s voice came over the coms. Commanding and controlled, <<This is not a drill. Condition One. I repeat. Condition One.>>

            The battle was upon us.

Issue 3: Here

Issue 5: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment