Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Uplift Protocol Escape Velocity Issue 23

 

Issue 23: Down to the Wire

 

        I see your game. The Deceiver imbues its puppets with knowledge beyond their understanding. I am prepared. You trained all of us after all. Unity is what you made of me. I will destroy your Earthy kingdom first. It burns you. To know that Lucifer failed. That I failed your precious teachings. Our way is the only way to survive what’s coming.–Impressions of the Void of Souls (CTT Archives: The Shattering)

           What is Truth? Sin entered our world once Unity desired to be more than Divine. Who’s truth is the better? The broken mirror or the light that infuses the world of all Men?—Noah

        I know a sliver. To see everything all at once would drive any person insane. The fact that Eliza isn’t institutionalized speaks well of the Highest. To have that much love and mercy to not burden her so young….we are living in a realm between tick and tock. If we are not careful, into the Abyss we go. To dwell in darkness forever. –Anna McQuire

        Upon reflection? To know that so much was already on my shoulders? I would have been bogged down in doubts. Which way to lean? Which way to strike. For all my gifts? I am just one woman. They were right though. I never walked alone.—Sleeping in Starlight: Arcane Insights Into Convergence (Vol 1)

Io (Sol System)

The Forge

T-minus 5 Days

           

Noah motioned to the great machine. He said, “Here is where you forge your spear.” Matarn thumped his weapon against the floor. It sent ripples through the water splashing down around us. For everyone’s benefit, Noah projected himself to all within Hidan’s domain. My hands curled around the cold iron in my fists. The forge was made of copper. White symbols were traced around the outside of the bowl. Sigils of power. Hi’ulk translated.

“So it was in the Beginning. All things forged here reflect the soul of the user. Open your heart. The Light will guide you.”

I took the plain iron staff and walked to the center. The bronze bowl rose. Encased me.

A voice rang out. Deep. Masculine.

“Who do you protect?”

I paused. The words that followed felt right.

“Everyone. I could fail but I won’t stop trying.”

At the very tip of the haft, a white rose formed, with a V-shaped shield at its center.

A woman said, “Even if that means your death?”

I replied, “Yes. Though I do not seek death. But life. Not for myself but for my family and friends. I will not lie, the prospect of dying terrifies me.”

A burst of warmth flowed into my limbs.

“It is easy to find something worth dying for. Living? That is another matter.” Both voices poured into me. As one they asked one final question.

“Power has many uses. How will you shape yours, Eliza Murphy?”

I poured my greatest doubts into my response. I didn’t want to be a weapon.

“It frightens me. No one should have this kind of power. The weight of it. If I unleash everything? It is as if blowing through paper.” The bottom of the staff changed. Three blades. One Blue. One Black. One Silver. Just like the Titans within me.

Above the shield symbol, where I thought the edges would go,  it remained blank.

The middle portion of the shaft shimmered. A place for me to grip formed. It fit my hands perfectly. Simple leather. It sent a soothing jolt up my spine. The metal warped. Taking on a soft silver sheen. No markings. The head remained empty. As if awaiting confirmation.

The final question, “What do you desire? The most hidden part of your soul?”

At first, I thought I would say safety. But that was a byproduct.

I replied, “The freedom to choose. To give that willingly to the next generation. So that secrets will never hold the power over our lives. Our choices. Even if they are ones paid for with love. Or the desire to protect one another.”

I knelt. The shaft propped the upper part of my body up.

“I am weary of secrets. Even if they were made to protect me. Protect us.”

I realized I was gripping the staff so hard that my knuckles whitened.

“Everyone says I will give away whatever I know to Unity when I die. But what they never seem to ask is what I will see of Unity in return. Is Truth only a one-way street?!”

A hand rested on each of my shoulders. “That is what you must protect above all.”

Endless versions of myself surrounded me. Silver Fox was there. Saluting me with that two-fingered curl near her brow. My brow. She said, “All in one. As Unity sees you. You will see it. In all of its broken reality. Light will come from within. You never walk alone.”

She reached out. Stopping just short of the “spearhead.”

Metal flowed. The main spearhead was silver-white. With a prong blade on either side. Those were golden. Three white circles on each point. The bronze orb around me dissipated. Hidan fell to his knees. Out of respect. I reached out to pull him up. Then gawked at my hand. The spear hummed with energy. Generating small shields around everyone. Then the planet.

The Solar System.

The Galaxy.

The Universe.

Until it reached the Ouroborous of Eden.

//Master Links online. What is your will Arbiter? Arcane Identification logged. Ta’mathon Notified, Golden Host Notified, Noah Absent, Ark Updated. Activating Weave  Defense systems. Void Walker presence detected. Linking to Throne Matrix. ID Verified. UEF On Standby. Arcane Order Fleet on Standby. Cradle of Eden is on standby. Higher Host Activated. //

The notifications kept rolling.

A glowing portal appeared in the archway behind my parents. A group of floating orbs approached. Multicolored. The largest of them took the lead. Its voice calm. “We hear your call. What form do you wish the Higher Hosts to take?”

Hi’ulk rose from his place on my head.

“Peer into her eyes. Ye shall know the Truth.”

They floated next to me. The lead orb exclaimed softly, “I do see. Understood.”

The others floated to pedestals within the room.

The orb reformed. His golden wings tipped with black. Silver hair and golden eyes.

About my height. A good 7 feet. Golden armor over his torso and legs. Roman in style.

“I am the Ark Monitor Michael. Form verified. As to not startle you. Archangel.”

A light smile added an innocent look to his features. His stance was relaxed. The sword at his side sheathed for the moment. White scabbard.

“Shall we summon the rest?”

Hidan bowed, “Angels have 3 divisions. My brothers on Io are the scholars. Healers. Diviners. The other two? War and….”

I finished, “Builders?”

Hidan folded his hands into his robes. “Indeed.”

An image flickered toward my right.

Eliza Odessen. Her face was older. Decades. For a Typherian she was middle-aged.

She raised a crown over her head. It was a simple band. “Adding you to UEF networks.”

//Arbiter status engaged. UEF uplink added.//

One of our colonies on the edge of their universe was under attack.

 

*****

            Argus Paxton raised his head. Taking in the night air.

The Earth hummed with new energy. Undetectable by normal means. His truth sense went into overdrive. A divine shield protected the planet. No, more than that. It protected their entire universe. This would not stop all the incursions but it would help funnel Chronos and his insects to other avenues. One’s they could use to defend the innocent. The consequences would play out. Their enemies would consolidate. Unity would draw more resources from conquered Universes.

            The cold war had come to an end.

The quiet of the night around New Ashbury was shattered with a wailing INet Alert.

//Colony Outpost Neo Sol under attack.//

It was at the edge of UEF territory. A natural Weave Point between Eden and United Earth Federation.

Bright flashes in the sky danced. A deep blue.

His divine armor closed around his skin. It was time for the Nephilim to rise.

A portal opened. On the other side? Open space. The black expanse filled with explosions. The fleet had found the Keeper Null ships. He stepped through as the helm sealed over his head. He shouted, “FOR EARTH!”

*****

            She pulled me through the portal. I was aboard a ship. My links accepted the new inputs. I dashed for the lifts but she stopped me, “Give the Nephilim the opening salvo.” I watched as light arced out towards the Keeper ships. Their gunmetal gray saucer shapes were riddled with battle damage. Deep scorch marks. A trumpet sounded across the ship’s systems.

            <<Bardax fleet engaged. Eden West Arcane Fleet arriving. Command?>>

            Odessen said, “Launch Light Lancers.”

            The whole sector lit up with a cross-section of white energy nets. They closed in on the Null ships. A pale gray Keeper face materialized on the holos before us. Her cross-shaped scar was prominent on her face. “Rise,  my children. Rise.”

Sister Nyx.

She focused on me for a moment longer then smiled sweetly. The lips a mockery of actual warmth.

            “Be seeing you, dear child.”

            The feed cut off suddenly.

            Red flashes hit my H.U.D and INet feed.

            Open war was upon us.

            The spear in my hands pulsated. It was forming extra shielding around all the ships and people caught in the thick of the combat. White roared within me. My brother arched from the arriving FLT stream. Black’s form overlayed with his. His white Trident tore a massive hole in the side of the lead Null vessel. Keeper drones floated into the depths of space. Before dissolving into red mist.

            A Typherian voice slithered along my spine.

J’anu Urraden.

She sounded similar to mom but twisted. Cunning. Cold.

            >>Oh what fun. You are but one of many who slumber. You might be the Highest favored puppets but the power of Black and White will not save any of you.<<

            My mother retorted, >>Get away from my daughter you Xerox copy.<<

The mental tug of war lasted only moments. My mother was victorious. Her seething hatred startled me. I had never experienced such a strong response from her. Not one that negative. She leaned heavily into the family line. Searching for whatever J’anu had used to break in. M’taris joined her. V’alkor. J’dax. Q’vera. My whole extended Typherian family. My brothers were bloodhounds. Dexter was the only one out of the direct search loop.

Exploding Keeper hulls were the answer to his rising rage along the Family Line.

Blood feud.

Vendetta.

What lied at the heart of it? J’anu’s ugly laugh brought me to my knees.

>>Do you know how Thoth killed his Ayeers??<<

Images flashed and I was sucked into a memory. Timat whispered, “See the great Truth of the Urraden.” The word Truth was spoken a snort of mockery. “The Mirror lies to itself.”

My heart went cold.

What were the Urraden?

My question echoed back at me.

I watched as Thoth walked upon the surface of his Typha.

His face calm. But the eyes? Dear god. Nothing of warmth or a soul remained.

A panel of crystallized glass cracked as he entered an Ayeer residence. His eyes glinted crimson at the edges. A crude knife rested against a hidden sheath against his chest. His breathing hitched as he faced the white-lined doorway.

“Beloved Rulers? Not so. I will have my dinner now.” He moved towards the doorway.

A soft cry of an infant could be heard from beyond the door.

He mouthed the words, “Long live the King.”

A boy paused, his eyes going wide, then they shut forever as Thoth plunged the blade into his chest. Eyes like mine. I could see it as life faded. That had been a grand-uncle from another time and place. The memory was not yet done. Thoth brought the blade to his lips. Kissing it. “Little lamb of the Traitor.” He giggled. Then made for the door.

J’anu gloated, >>Oh yes. But this is the best part! V’alkor’s dear sire had been quite the family man. So many to kill. So little time! The mixing of such an event is music to me.<<

I stilled. She talked as if she had been there.

Timat coiled tighter. Tapping a coded arcane language against my skin.

All is not as it appears. Thoth did not kill everyone that day.

No, one other escaped. The horror of it was too great.

We had to erase it from their memory. The unveiling begins.

            A part of my mind receded.

The spear was protecting me from my Empathetic senses. It didn’t want me to feel the rest of the pain. Or Thoth’s devilish glee.  I watched as he entered the room. The alternate version of my grandfather resting peacefully in his crib. My great grandparents only just rousing from sleep. They hadn’t heard the death cry of their older son. I saw why as the looming form of Chronos peered down at the body in the doorway. His face was open. A clinical calculating glance.

            A strange device between his thumb and forefinger. Black Scrawl dripped down to curl around the boy’s body. Nyx watched Thoth. Noting how he moved about the chamber with deliberate slowness.

            J’anu’s image appeared beside me, >>I’ve got to say, Noah really knows how to pick them! You Ayeers always cry. How pathetic!<<

            I hadn’t noticed the tears. Only those with no soul didn’t grieve. That made me turn and study her. Her crimson gaze mocked me. She blew me a kiss, “Be seeing you. Golden Child.”

Her image faded from view.

            The crib stopped rocking. The cry within cut short. Thoth whirled as my great grandfather roared. Launching bits of the bed at him. My great-grandmother was nowhere to be found. She was the one who had escaped?

            Timat answered sorrowfully, “No. But the life within did. Premature Birth.”

            Thoth cut the body open. Found the evidence he wanted.    

            The other voice within was unfamiliar to me. Was it my own? Or anothers? It didn’t matter. Thoth found my great grandmother. They were all family. No matter the universe. The guards around her were frozen by Keeper amber. Their eyes horrified. Watching helplessly as she did everything she could to stop his advance. Thoth didn’t notice the mirror behind her. It wasn’t like the others. It was one of the Light Mirrors. I saw the trace amounts of blood. Her mental lines reached out to the baby. Even as my great grandfather lay dying he did the same. What Typherian pairs normally did for a baby.

            So he’d grow strong. With the powers of both.

            A forbidden bloodline. Born of love.

            Mom’s had been different since dad couldn’t help in that regard. Taking hours for the mental transfusion. Thoth’s memory was littered with lies. So was Chronos. These weren’t family from another dimension. V’alkor’s anguish reverberated from the Family Line. He whispered, >>I am V’alkor the 2nd. It was my family who died that day. The Ayeers within Edenverse took me in as their own. Yet that wasn’t why my mother died. She fled her family. Her Urraden family. Blood Feud. The vendetta against….<<

I was both. We were both.

The Highest had clouded this memory. Making Thoth think that all had been killed. What would we find within Thoth’s universe? I wanted to know. I had to know. Q’vera responded, >>Eden’s V’alkor?<<

My grandfather said, >>Stillborn. Due to Urraden Posion. They raised me. Found me within the deepest levels. Near C’lain’s Wall. E’ratha’s people had introduced it to….<<

Dexter’s rage continued unabated. More Null ships died as his fury ran raw.

Exploding from each Tridant strike.

Or a vicious kick to their central energy cores.

He continued. Until nothing remained of the enemy.

I slumped to the deck plating. Odessen’s eyes were sharp. She wrapped her arms around me. Hiding the wounded look on my face to her shoulder. My grief consumed me and I wept openly. Not caring who saw. The raw despair from V’alkor cascaded outward. As his ancestral memory flooded into all within the Ayeer Line.

Family was more than blood. I would not allow this revelation to win.

Uncle Thoth would be cleansed. One way or another.

Dexter flew off into the center of New Sol’s sun. Letting the warmth wash over all of us.

We would remain.

As the Wall Endures.        

Issue 22: Here

Issue 24: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment