Tuesday, January 18, 2022

he Uplift Protocol: Tarvelian Surprise 8

 

Issue 8: The Annals of the Lead Cog

 

            The shadow had me. I waited. Hoping for salvation. Chronos had taken me from my home. When I was venerable. Never again.—Lead Cog Wytham

            I saw why Chronos was able to steal the Lead Cog away. Every few 100 cycles his people would take his “heart” to the Ouro to recharge with the divine light needed to power his people. Another one of Chronos’ ploys to create a broken mirror of the Highest’s creations.—Sleeping In Starlight: Paths of the Dead

 

Eden Ouroborous

Middle White Sun

January 10th, 2104.

 

            Wytham let out a sigh as the welcoming light washed over him. He was renewed. If not whole. The Arbiter floated close by. The Mother of All was with her. Wytham’s words choaked within his throat. They were both shrouded by the divine. Their memories were locked away. A pity. He wanted to thank both properly. The oily sickness of the Void Walkers was dissipating with each pulse of the new day sun. The white brilliance eased the ache within his chambers. Magic flowed where darkness once stood.

*****

            I watched as the green liquid flowed from the Golem’s Heart. Replaced by a cool golden flow. I reached out. Placed one hand on the cobalt outer chamber. A kindly voice said, “Thank you. You will be welcomed among my people. No matter where the Path leads you.”

            I asked, “Have we met?”

            A head formed from the heart. Two glowing white eyes surrounded by a chiseled face greeted me. Mechanical yet alive. A mix of bronze, copper, and granite. He nodded, “I met you long ago. Within the sands of the Golden City.” I nearly blurted out Living Stone but one sharp glance stopped me from saying such foolishness. The head peered down at me, a relaxed expression taking hold, as he began his tale.

            I listened with growing consternation. I wouldn’t get to remember this for a while. Just like a whole bunch of those Uplifted Sector memories. Trouble was?

How would I thank him properly later? He was a pretty jovial fellow.

White murmured sleepily, “The truth will reveal itself. “

Outskirts of the Golden City

The Wilds of the Dreaming

600 BC

 

            Doc pointed. “Living Stone?”

            Sentinel barked, <<Doesn’t smell like it!>> She shot me a warning glance. The wound on my chest was still healing. We didn’t talk about it much. No need to. The ordeal was still fresh. Still woke me up at night. Unity’s machinations had worn the face of my parents. My friends.

            My…

            Sentinel sneezed fully into my face. <<Arbiter needs to focus!>>

            I mock glowered at my Bardaxian belt friend. He did have a point. While Earth was protected in many vital ways, even at this time, us being here was to facilitate the future of the Arcane Order and all the tools it would need to help me defeat Unity. Not to mention the amused glance of the White King and the Silver Queen. The Icath ruling pair had an odd sense of humor.

            Targus swatted the side of my face playfully. “Yes, you know much now. Convergence is more than just a time and place you know.”

            Boy howdy did I. I could just picture mom’s face. “Not again.” She didn’t think much of time travel. It was beyond us mortals. I placed my faith in the Highest. From what they told me? Our time-hopping was only beginning. I mused, “Doc!”

            Those brilliant green eyes clung to my face.

“If I ever get a hare-brained scheme to get into the realm of speculative works, just shoot me, you’re the only one who can stop my heart dead in its tracks!” She put her hands on her hips. Then she grinned coyly.

“Just for that, I’ll have to give you three more Inductor level Therapies.”

I waggled my eyebrows at her, “Promise?!”

She blushed, “Hush you.”

Ta’mathon shared a look with Isis. I was getting better at banter. Or so I thought! They had followed us in. To rule the Golden City he would have to have help.

Isis remarked, “Is that how all future….Americans will talk?”

 I shot Lorain a contented glance, “Oh no. Just ask Doc. I am the absolute worst when it comes to picking up certain kinds of content. She had to give me a primer on….” Lorain covered my mouth with both hands. Her voice was just above my hearing range.

“When did you get that randy?”

I wanted to blurt out, “Since I died and came back…”

A whirlwind of sand kicked up as a mechanical creature exploded from the depths.

Lead Cog Wytham in the flesh. Just how I remembered him. He shouted, “Ahh. The magic world of the Divine Shield. I have traveled the vast cold of space to find this planet. ALLIANCE! The Shattering….” He reached down and scooped me up.

“Arbiter of the Highest. Where might I find that old Tooth?!”

Targus mock growled, “Old?! I’ll have you know I’m only 12,243,335,235 cycles…..”

We were gonna be here a while. The old Cog set me down on a purple dune.

 Queen Ismir sniffed at my wound, “Keep on that.”

Horned nightmares passed across my eyelids.  

Doc pulled me to the side and went after the wrappings as a woman possessed.  I asked gently, “Well if you wanted an upgrade…” I only added a hint of self-recrimination. I figured I’d impress her with my gift of newfound social awareness. Going through the depths of Hell did interesting things for one’s sense of humor.

She bit her lip, “I know you play it off lighter than it is.” She crossed her arms. Hugged herself for a moment before tracing the scar tissue riddled across my chest. Then she sent out a healing pulse that made me weak in the knees. I reached out to grip her arms. “I am trying to lighten the mood. I know it will sound ridiculous considering our current point in history but I don’t remember everything that happened during that climb.”

 Her eyes darted up to meet my own. Then she glanced away.

“Thank God,” she said reverently.

I replied. “Quite Literally.”

Her gaze narrowed.

I leaned in to kiss her on the forehead. “I didn’t climb alone. Thank you.”

She replaced the wrappings around my chest. I winked, “You know….” She slapped my forearm seriously, “Don’t you start!” Her sultry look promised other things though.

Wytham took that moment to shout, “Indeed not! We must build the steps for you to battle the many Hydras of Unity. Those Dark Steps of Forever will not claim your Soul.” Lorain traced the scars on my arms. Where the Titans had resided. She muttered, “We aren’t at the end. Not by a long shot.”

“Nope,” I agreed.

Wytham thumped his fist to his chest, “We of the Ardent Stone shall be summoned.”

I had a hunch he’d love participating in clearing the Dreaming of Earth of its Living Stone problems. Well most of them. It was a pity we’d have to leave that Dragon alone. But one only followed the Highest. One did not try to examine the Swiss Cheese conundrum that was Time Travel. Sentinel paced around us, his silver outline sparked in the noonday sun of the Dreaming, as another traveler appeared.

Jacob Murphy, my half-brother waved, “All ready to go! Shall we test the prototypes?”

*****

I said, “Wait for just a second!?”

Wytham paused in his amazing tale.

“Yes, Arbiter?”

“You're saying I’m the linchpin in all this Temporal Tessaract minefield?”

 I rubbed my face repeatedly. Nope. Wasn’t dreaming. Or in the Dreaming. How much of Area 51 was a straight-up lie? Not on the Shimmerings end. My mother and the Council of Five. But on Humanity’s end?

A lie that I helped engineer?! Plot? Me? A master plotter. I would say I was drunk but I hadn’t encountered many drinks that could get me plastered just yet.

Wytham considered me for a moment then smiled kindly, “Often our greatest assets are hidden in plain sight. Even yourself.”

I replied, “A demi’s work is never done is it?”

“No, “ he agreed.

“Things were much simpler when I was one-shotting cosmic dinosaurs into orbit.”

I had fond memories of our Hollowed Earth escapades. I blushed as my thoughts lingered on a certain someone. I still kicked myself for taking too long to notice. Maybe future me would be smarter?

Wytham hummed, “But that wasn’t all. I like these memories. I will keep them for you until you are allowed to remember. Unity tends to take what is best about a person and warp it until the notes sour.”

I understood, “So my mind being partitioned wasn’t just Y’lansa and the Uplift Protocol procedures.” The Lead Cog replied, “Correct. It is for your safety as well. When you face the Unified Horror that is the 7 Sins of Amache? They will use all you know.”

I shuddered.

Wytham continued, “They wish to be reborn into the most powerful body. Your body. With your face and voice? They will command the end of everything. We mustn't allow that.”

I eyed him critically, “Summer is coming to an end.”

Wytham's right arm manifested next.

        He reached down to pluck the tear from my cheek, “Yes but in its place? Spring abounds. Uplift Protocol will die. New proper growth will supersede it.”

Issue 7: Here

Issue 9: Here


No comments:

Post a Comment