Sunday, January 9, 2022

The Uplift Protocol: Tarvelian Surprise Issue 3

Issue 3: Flight of the Arbiter

 

            It sucks. Keeping all of this from Eliza but paradoxically? It’s what she wanted. Gives a new meaning to ACE in the hole though. More like Tessaract Cheese Holding Patterns. Wish I could tell her that joke right now. It's an upgrade from Swiss.—Jonas “Eddie” Olsten

            Rulers, how little I knew. At this point? If Thomas doesn’t say anything to me? I don’t pry. I know more now than I ever desired. Still, the universe seeks to surprise me. Glad I have someone to talk to throughout all this. Thomas doesn’t quite understand but he does know me well enough that I must vent. Eliza has thrown the Houses into chaos. It must happen. Just as she predicted. I find myself sharing a quiet drink with Anna. I don’t think either of us expected it. An odd friendship.—J’ino Murphy

            Temporal Files accessed///Searching///File Found///Sequence Activated///Memory Shard Shroud batch decoded///Sending to Primary Shard Host///Brainwave elevations detected///Activating REM mode///Integrating required memories—Ur-Primary Node

Orbit of Tarvel

Joint Terran Alliance/Tarvellian Shipyards

Date Redacted

           

Marius snapped, “Starboard Phase! FIRE!”

        His weapons station complied, the simulation showing the wall of fire consuming the Null Ships. Unlike the Javelin Class, his ships were shrouded from the normal TA networks. Under the full auspices of the Arcane Order. His mind reeled. The truth of his people and their purpose. A Shield World of the Arcane. A mix of technology and magic unheard of since the days of Creation. He regarded Thomas Murphy as the human studied the flow of battle.

            Only a handful within the Order knew who built these ships.

            Jacob Murphy’s handiwork was apparent to his father. It was just the time aspect that brought Thomas to a halt. By their reckoning? Built brand new during the Hight of the Golden City upon Earth. Thousands of years ago. Thomas shared a thought with his wife through their rings, >>How is it that Jacob, Eliza, and Doc will get back? Icath or Light Mirrors?<<

            J’ino responded instantly, >>Icath I bet. But more. Maybe that certain ….<<

            Another layer they would have to keep from Eliza. Even as she and Doc traveled the Halls of Typha. J’ino paused. The memories of their splash onto Typha’s House scene brought a smile to her face. Eliza was Texan in spirit and form upon the surface of her other homeworld. Then J’ino’s cheer dimmed. They said little. Even though the rings. Marius had given them ones to replace the Typherian rings J’ino had bestowed so long ago.

Ta’mathon observed, <<They are Arcane Order rings, forged for you specifically, yet your caution is wise. It helps us circumvent the issue of Throne Sight. An aspect that Eliza will not be able to use outside of Eden Earth.>>

            They still retained the look of J’ino’s old white rings. It was sobering to see just how much Eliza would preplan movements or assets. The Arcane Net symbol manifested. It had 3 golden rings with the images of a Lion and Lioness side by side. White and Silver.

            ///Time packet deployed/Awakened Era Earth: Make sure the Duck Brother’s mess with House Sour Puss. Send them for the DNA Codex. It will let us develop a net to detect Unity level corrupted Bloodlines.///

            J’ino watched as Eliza’s neat script continued for a few more lines. Each order was encoded with a sigil from the Core Primary Shard. She didn’t understand that all too well. Ta’mathon wasn’t forthcoming. J’ino dared not talk to President Marshall or Aether about the events that transpired. Afraid that if the cat was let out of the bag too early that others would suffer for it. Earth would have a new president soon anyways. Thomas remarked, >>One day we shall walk out in the open. On that day? A full reckoning.<<

           An event that she dreaded.

            But one that would bring a cleansing flame to the husk of Uplift Protocol.

******

            I ported into the welcoming room.

            There were advantages to having interlinks within Weave Space. The Milky Way Galaxy was all cleared. All Arkways on full blast. Tarvel was just as pristine. It was gratifying. I still wondered how the Living Stone had breached the Temple Lands but Eddie was being all official Terran Alliance business.

Nola greeted me at the steps of Temple Mount. The exotic scents of Tarvel a lovely change of pace. Eddie was at her side. He shot me a sly glance. “Glad to escape the House politics for a while?” I groaned. Doc hid a giggle behind her hand. She leaned in and ran one finger down my jawline. Sending a restorative jolt through my system.

I rose a few feet off the ground. Then floated gently back to earth. “So what is the real mission then? Granted I do love working with the Commons. Straightforward! Uncomplicated! No shenanigans  by Bloodline Dogwistles.” Nola turned as a young boy and girl raced toward us all.

The purple children had their father’s bright red hair. His blue eyes.

Eddie swung the girl up onto his shoulders while his son barreled into me, “FLY!” Doc made a shooing motion. I took the boy into my arms and bounded skyward. His trill of laughter followed. Their naming ceremony! That was the real reason I was here. Clever parental planning. My official itinerary said I was visiting the outer territories of the Survey Corps. As we soared I noticed the gleaming highrises of Terran-built cities in the distance. Tarvel had 5 islands besides 3 main continents. The humans had claimed all the island areas. I figured the mainland areas had some unusual magical properties.

Or a way to honor Tarvel’s religious rites.

How little I knew. The reality would shake me to my core.

*****

            The Curator looked up from his desk as Eliza faced the panoramic view of 43 century Earth. She said, “The planets themselves were a shield. Lying dormant. All of them within Eden’s sphere of influence. The Highest never faltered.”

This version of her was the Arbiter, using the Ourobourous of Time to shift through the various threads. Her silvered hair was bound in a short ponytail. The armor had one additional detail from her time as the Silver Defender. Besides the gleaming golden bracers of the Arcane Order. An outer robe of a starlight void completed the look. Akin to a toga. It rested under her iconic cape. A way to hide her American heritage while at the same time honoring it. Since many Earth flags had various combinations of red, white, and blue.

She turned, “I have one question of you old friend.”

The Curator smiled, his hands pulling his mask from his face, revealing the ancient face underneath. “Ask away.”

She inquired, “Would you have changed anything?”

The Curator leaned back in his chair. Clasped his hands together, “Not for all the dreams of the Multiverse. In the end, It was a future for all. Not just my people.”

She leaned over, clutching the three-pronged spear tightly, “My vigil is ending. I leave the future to the inheritors.” She smiled. It wasn’t bitter. Just knowing. The Curator asked gently, “They all reside there now?”

“Yes. Down to the last line. I will not be alone.”

She motioned to the screen, “Resume temporal playback. Tarvel Shield World, Eden Prime Universe.”

*****

            I glanced about. An intense burst of contentment washed over me. Not from the boy.

            This is a good path. No matter the hardship.

            The voice was warm. Bolstering my good cheer.

            I aimed for the first of the island cities, “Should we get some treats for everyone?”

            The boy grinned, his front right tooth missing, “Yes!”

            As we landed a familiar face emerged from the crowd. The Mighty Mallet alongside a certain Howling. He waved me over. His orange and white suit still gleaming with that ionic golden mallet on his chest. “Hey Star! Just set up shop! Want some pizzas!?”

            Olsten Jr yelled, “Can we get 10!?! Cooper eats a lot!”

            The Howling’s orange eyes and black corgi body wiggled. His excitement grew when I hauled him up over my other shoulder. “I’ll add enough to the tab to feed the regiment here!” I had noticed the influx of Terran Alliance warships. I hoped they weren’t having Artock raids.

            Pirates were still a nasty business. 

*****

            Nola entered the Arcane transport pad. Intoning the words that would take her to the middle rings of the shield world. These rings were located within the Weave space surrounding the planet. The inner rings resided deep within the Dreaming. Awaiting the call of the Arcways. Endless rows of ships were tucked away. So vast that her sight couldn’t recount them all. A hologram appeared.

Jacob said, “Welcome back Nola, which program would you like to train on today?” He was clothed in Egyptian robes. His feet were bare. His beard was in the style of the period. She highlighted basic flight.

Jacob’s image fluctuated, “Noted. Not everyone is at Eliza’s level. Shall we go for basic take-off procedures today?” They still had time. One day inside the mid rings was one hour in the real world. They would train every day. Nola and her people would take up the mantle of a free people. The true path envisioned by Elysium.

Her world would awaken to a new dawn.

*****

            Nola and Eddie sat in the center of the circle. Their children were marked with white chalk all over their bodies. The yellow ceremonial robes noted the rite of passage from Newborns into full sapience. I was told it was because in the olden day's many mothers mourned the passing of their children to Living Stone attacks or the perils of the Deep Dreaming. Their planet was just as connected as Earth’s in that regard. I remembered Sir Avalon’s magic courses. Most demis wouldn’t encounter such events often. But he made an exception in my case. Repeatedly.

            I had a higher record of strange encounters. The Howling and Augustus got comfortable. Each was sprawled in my lap. Two corgis. Each set of front paws draped over my legs. Men dressed in silver, gold, and purple armor descended the steps. The temple had excellent acoustics. I could hear the chanting just down the hallway.

            Marius held a golden staff above his head, “What are the names they shall be known by?”

            Nola said, “My son, Tithan Jonas Olsten. Of the Clear Skies.”

            Eddie followed with, “My daughter, Eliah Rebecca Olsten. Of the Summer Wind.”

            Clans went by the sex of the child. To honor the male and female lines. The Clear Skies? I noticed Eddie’s proud grin. That was his clan name! A new flag unfurled. He had added his family coat of arms. I bit back an inappropriate grin. The Olstens were extra galactic now. Now how to break it to his parents?

*****

            Gulliver waddled over to the edge of the terrace. They had taken the Genetic Defective Archives from sourpuss. Now what to do with them? His brother joined him. His black feathers ruffled by the breeze. <<What would our mother do with this?>>

Gulliver responded, <<I’ll give it to Doc.  She can store it somewhere safe! Besides, I bet her healing quirks can find things we couldn’t. Even with mother’s bag of tricks!>>

Lorain picked both ducks up, “You are right about that. Let’s go join the party. Eliza brought a whole ton of pizza.” Trouble’s black wings flapped. <<I love onions!>> Lorain made a face. “Yes, she got you a pizza with onions and sausage.”

Trouble quacked. His delight was apparent.

Things were looking up!

 

Issue 2: Here

Issue 4: Here

2 comments:

  1. Wait no one's told Jonas's parents that their son got married and had kids. Missed the naming ceremony and birthdays? Wow someone's going to get a motherly earful when the news breaks.

    ReplyDelete