Monday, February 21, 2022

The Uplift Protocol: Union Issue 7

 

Issue 7: Voice from the Edge

 

            Elysium: A maze of wonders. What compelled me during those trials? Knowing I had people on the other side that wanted me to succeed. Not just Lo’tar but Eliza herself pushed me. Not as I first greeted her. I thought my timeline of events was confusing. She took the cake.—MT-155

            Augustus always said I was excitable. No matter the cycle!—The Howling

            Which way to climb? In a way? I always did my best to live up to the Murphy and Ayeer family motto. But it was the Urraden in me that provided the greatest contrast.—Sleeping in Starlight: Notes from Beyond the Veil.          

Trial of the Ancients

Elysium

Valley of Proving

 

            I grunted as another volley of spikes hit. No damage.

Cerberus asked, “You feel familiar! You smell of Creation yet the soul is gone. How is that possible?!”

I responded, “I am a clone. Made from another person’s cells. Flesh. Blood. Whatever you’d call it here.” The giant black wolf pawed at the ground. Each volley sprang from the various status placed throughout the room. The air was moist. A heavy humidity.

The panels shifted. Another set lay beneath! My eyes burned. Layers rose.

Like fine mist. This whole room was a distraction!

            My vision swam. I found myself within a torrent of rapid waves. Cerberus floated next to me. His fur was static. Nothing here touched him. My head crested the waterline. A roar resounded. My eyes widened.

            My hands reached out and found nothing to grasp. I careened over the waterfall. The white foam at the mouth blinded me until a hand reached out and pulled me from the deluge. I stared up into the black and gray eyes of Eliza Murphy. A woman stood close by. Raven black hair, green eyes that reminded me of Lo’tar. I stared open-mouthed. My attention was glued to Murphy’s back. A brilliant set of wings unfurled. She didn’t seem to notice. One was a bright white color. While the other blazed as dark as the Void. Each tipped with gold.

            Resplendent silver armor with three golden rings adorned her chest. The cape was akin to America’s old glory. The colors were hidden by a majority of red and white stripes. One solitary blue stripe clued me into the true origin.

The shots of gray at her temples shocked me.

She said, “No, you aren’t dreaming. We are both within the distant past. Yet our reality is that of the far future.” The dark-haired one said, “Do I even want to know?!” Her green eyes darted to my face. Eliza held up a mirror. My hair was stark white. My eyes were the same as hers. I breathed a small sigh of relief, the words “False Shard” no longer haunted that lock of hair.

Instead?

I frowned, “Awaiting Shard?”

Eliza pulled me from the rest of the waters. She stated, “Yep, your body is now purified. In the waters of old Elysium!”

 I noticed an old wound peaking out from her armored gunmetal gray collar. She noted this and waved me over to a stone bench. “Yeah. It's a permanent reminder. Doc has my whole body mapped out by now. Every fortunate and fowl brained predicament.”

Doc leaned in. “So after 6000 years of planning you get peaky now?!”

I brought up my Arcane Network hub. It analyzed Murphy.

I whistled. “Jeez. I thought my trials would be eventful!”

Eliza’s eyes darkened, “About that. We are going to need your help. I don’t ask this as an Arbiter but as a protector.”

I responded, “I’m not on a Terran Alliance vessel am I?”

The one called Doc interjected, “Not by a long shot but X3 was made to help you. The Eternal Empire has a stranglehold on many Universes but the part you reside in is advantageous. Long ago Noah implanted a certain AI into their systems. He is shackled but Lo’tar and his family can help you free him. ”

I nodded, “Figured something was up when he wouldn’t directly answer certain questions.” I held up my hands in a placating gesture. “I might be young but I don’t want your mantle. I dream of another.”

Eliza teased me, her tone gentle, “Thinking of a certain someone to have a gaggle of kids with?” I grinned, “That. But the dreams….”

Eliza stood up at that. “The Highest has many pieces in play. We just have to move with the Path.”

I jerked my left thumb at her. “You know you have wings right?”

She glanced at me. The bewilderment plastered across her features, “Really? I never needed wings to fly before.”

Doc tapped her back, “No. You got a bit of an upgrade when a certain pair transported us here.”

Eliza yawned, “Is that why I am hungry all the time?”

Doc tapped Murphy’s midsection, “No. That’s normal.”

I commented, “White looks good on you Ms?”

She shook a finger at me, “Lanis. Just don’t say anything when you meet us for the first time on our end. I know. Time travel. Gives me headaches.”

I blurted out, “I think we are what the Highest calls Thronebearers.”

Eliza mulled over that. “It would explain a whole bunch. It’s why have to be kept in the dark for so long. Being just a demi just wasn’t good enough to wrangle Unity.” She turned in circles. Attempted to catch sight of the wings.

Doc giggled, “I think yours pop out when the Highest wants to get a point across.”

Eliza sighed, “Figures!” She glanced up at the newly dawning skyline. Clapped her hands together, “Not that I am complaining too much. Just really confused a majority of the time.”

She mimicked Terran elder humor, “Get off my lawn!” Then thumped her spear on the ground. Cerberus skipped around us. Newborn as a puppy, “YAY! Just like Father promised!” Eliza patted the massive wolf, “Nice to see you again!”

Cerberus shook his massive head, “Ohhh! That is interesting! When do we meet once more?!”

Eliza smiled warmly, “At the beginning. My beginning.”

Cerberus’ ears drooped, “I am with the pretty lady. Time Travel is confusing!”

The rich colors and scents of this world dimmed. Eliza reached out, “We will help you against the Eternal Empire. Find the heart of the Pirates. The entity is known as Alvara’s Eye. Arthon will need assistance extracting it. It must be cleansed for At’lan to be whole!”

I nodded. Found myself staring up into Lo’tar’s shocked expression.

The world of Elysium was dormant once more. I was back.

He brushed my hair from my forehead. “That ugly mark is gone. Good. The sea spat you out. As one gives away a newborn babe.”

As we headed back towards the outskirts of the sleeping city, the silver-white doors remained shut but another set of words appeared on the outer edges: //Enshrined. Return to engrave your name once summoned.//

The trials weren’t over yet.

Worldship X3-555

Urraden Territory (Eternal Empire Universe)

AI Core

            X3’s sensors registered the return.

MT-155 shouted over the coms net, “X3! Pull up the foundry plans. We have some star charts to update!” He dared not scan them with his hidden pathways. He had promised Noah. To remain undetected. Not from allies. From the corrosion of the Eternal Empire. Deep within the heart of the World Ship, tucked away in a corner of Weave Space he couldn’t access was the Lexion of the Ark. He had been the observatory AI from that long eventful Shattering. One day to be reforged anew. As was promised.

As was prophesied.

Not by the Arbiter of the Order.

But by the Guardian of the Lost.

Noah had promised this.

Faith would endure.

Alvara’s Eye

Eternal Empire Node:2254

High Seat of Orbix (Black Rock Markav)

 

 

            Draken Nix did not need breath. Not anymore.

            His presence frightened the other riff-raff. Had any sense of self remained he would have found that quite amusing. In life, he had been a simple catspaw. A lesser among gods. Chronos’ dark compulsions were a pale fire in comparison to the sinister pulse of Unity’s unholy flame. His memory, such as it was, dredged up an approximation of life.

One haggard human sputtered, “Pox’d like one of the Chains.”  Another punched the man into silence. A thin wasted Markav descended the steps. His scared visage paled at the sight of Nix.

Draken spread his arms wide, “My employer wishes compliance.” His voice echoed. It was not his own. A petite blonde woman appeared next to him. As if from the air itself. She approached the Markav.

Held out her hand. She wore a white gown made of feathers. He fell to his knees. “By the Eternal Night!” The others followed suit. The only Urraden of the group glanced heavenward. His eyes rolled into the back of his skull as he collapsed. Spasming.

His blood exploded from his bruised black lips.

The Typherian’s heart slowed. Then stilled.

The woman hissed, “Anyone else?”

*****

Alvara watched impassively. She was chained. It had been so long since the Light.

She no longer remembered the soft calls of home.

All that remained was the pale fire of corruption.

A voice remained.

Endure. As the Wall Endures.

            Where was her brother? As promised.

            She tried to picture his face. The only word that remained was At’lan.

            A feather-light touch reached her mind.

            A white lily bloomed.

            We are coming.

The Tower of Light

Typha (UEF Universe)

Tessaract Room

            I groaned and stood up. Crystalline tendrils brushed up against my back. “Hello?”

            My voice echoed. A quick patter of feet altered direction. Trouble quacked excitedly. Jumped into my arms. <<Glad you are awake! This is a special place. More for the Jupiter Rising crew! More family!>>

            I rubbed my temple with my free hand. “What’s the status of Typha here?”

            Eden’s was still swathed in living stone and Unity dragons.

            Trouble gazed at me with those clear brown eyes. He sneezed. His orange bill parted then stilled in mid sentence. The world paled. Color seeped out. Time had stopped. A man clothed in a white 3 piece suit stood next to the center crystalline pillar. I couldn’t see his face. When I tried to focus in his features blurred further. He said, “I have a favor to ask.”

            His heart rate remained slow.

            He reached out. I took his hand.

            My mind expanded. Out of Time and Space.

            A golden tree grew, its branches and roots expanding across countless universes. An endless expanse of stars.

            All at once, I knew everything. And nothing.

            He rested a hand upon my brow.

            I will walk with you. Always.

*****

            Trouble watched as the golden aura around Eliza expanded then winked out. She shook her head. Then asked, “What’s the status of Typha here?”

            Trouble quacked. Expanded his wings to settle into a comfortable position.<<Varn will explain! The Order is already constructing new hulls to bolster the Tower’s defenses!>>

            Eliza rose 5 feet into the air. “Let’s hurry then!”

            Trouble rested his beak along Eliza’s neck. Noting the first reflections within the light. She would not need her wings for flight. Convergence was approaching. The final curtain call. He intended for his mother to make it. The Crystal Coffin would help her climb. To escape the World Undying. The False Mirror of the Soul Shard twisted by Unity.

            Then the soul cycle could begin anew. Refreshing those who would come after.

Even onto the World Unending. Those shores were so distant that those living upon the Shield Worlds of the distant future could only fathom the shallowest of waters. His brother’s mission was paramount. His mission? To preserve the core of Eliza Murphy.

            The Climb from the Abyss would be torturous. She could still fail.

            Bardax knew the way. He would follow.

            As was taught by Noah. By the Order. By the Highest.

            To safeguard the rest of Creation.

            He was only one duck but he knew the heart of the soul.

            He would not fail his mother. 

Issue 6: Here

Issue 8: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment