Monday, March 7, 2022

The Uplift Protocol Union: Isssue 11

 

Issue 11: A Blade in the Garden

 

            We shall be reborn in the Waters of Creation. As was promised by the Highest—Markav Shard Bearer

            Unity thinks to fool me. It is why I gave Thoth the knife that shattered Elysium. They will go after him above all else. Unity’s prized pig.—Lucifer

While my parents had their mission, Arthur had to reform the Round Table. Not just the one of Earth’s myths and legends but the one that existed since the time of Noah. While my friends and family were separated? We fought a war on many fronts.—Sleeping in Starlight: Convergence Vol 13

Acropolis (Halls of Anointment)

Unity Universe

June 1st, 2116

           

Thoth held the knife.

Its hilt was infused with a stormy gray color. Bits of black scrawl crawled over the edge between metal and wood. It’s blade milky white. Enough to cut through the fabric of space. Unity had guided him here. Along with two others. Hilary Brookes let her humanoid disguise fade. Her leering smile towards the hologram of Eliza Murphy told Thoth all he needed to know.

For now.

Thoth said, “Done slobbering over the Banner yet?”

Brookes was a liability but he dared not say that to her face. Her fixation on the Banner went beyond the mental or physical. It was suicidal.

Hilary held out one gnarled gray digit. Ran her thumb across Murphy’s eyebrow. “Not yet. What Unity plans is quite enough compensation for me. I will enjoy breaking her in front of that Doctor she adores so much.” Karvax scratched Bright Eyes under the giant raptor’s chin. Its eyeless features turned as another woman flowed down the obsidian steps. Each leg was bare. The white feathers flowed over her body. Reformed into an unbreakable carapace. Bel cooed, “Not just yet dear Hilary. I must know what certain Urradens are planning.”

Thoth said sourly, “Ahh yes. J’anu and her dear father. They think us stupid?”

Unity snarled. Its 7 voices howled from Bel’s throat. “No. They plot survival. I am the window into the future.”

Karvax doubted that. He was only here for bloodsport. It called to him as a lover in the dark. Ice blue eyes bled to black spheres.

>>I see what you desire.<<

            Karvax loomed over Bel, “Delivered unto the believers!”

            She caressed his chin.

Smiled sweetly, “It shall all be as you wish. From blood to the bone.”

Earth (Edenverse)

New Ashbury

           

Golden Bulleteer stopped short.

A dome of light materialized over the cityscape. White Lily and Amazing Grace peered up into the sky as a golden cube about the size of 5 men descended. From the opening iris, Sir Avalon stepped forth, “Come with me. All of you.”  Tidalwave and Moonlighter entered the cube first. Lily and Buleteer brought up the rear. As their eyes adjusted to the environment Moonlighter let out a low whistle.

Assembled before them were scores of ships. Dark triangles rippled with golden symbols as they formed up into nearly endless rows. “We shall be the distraction force. So that others may return safely from Eternal Empire territory.” Bulleteer nodded. He hoped his son and daughter-in-law would be among those returning. Especially considering J’ino’s additional passengers. He made a mental note to thank all those caregivers within Project Freefall. With how dicy the situation became many demis had to leave their children behind to help defend the front lines. The space-worthy demis like Eliza and her ilk were in high demand.

The fact that the Alliance was situating them beyond Earth spoke of the demands on the defending forces. Not that Earth was without its protections. He knew that those shields wouldn’t last forever. Now was the time to act. Tidalwave indicted the amassed fleet, “No more reserve forces. Just all-out bombardment.”

Sir Avalon waved to the closest capital ship, it's bulk in the shape of a hammerhead shark. “We will train you on the particulars in route.” A flash of light engulfed the Mavericks. When his sight cleared Bulleteer found himself facing a command deck filled with ducks.

One pink and blue feathered figure bobbed his head, “Oh! I see. So you are the Edenites that Gulliver was hiding!” The voice was high-pitched.

Lily observed, “So Gulliver and Trouble were advanced scouts for whom?”

The duck rose.

Floated toward the team. On pinpricks of energy. “We are the Vanguard. The Highest gave us this form after the Shattering so that Unity would dismiss us. The Arbiter Noah gave us the means for speech. While Arbiter Murphy? Well, that part will come later!”

A giant green duck interjected, “Seeker Flowers! We have a hit! Target Lure has begun its extraction!" Bulleteer said, “Questions later I presume. Let’s go get our friends.”

The entire bridge crew quacked. Delighted at Golden Bulleteer’s priorities.

Typha (United Earth Front Universe)

Outer System Reaches

           

Dark Matter energy blazed from my eyes.

            Living Stone cracked. Flecks of granite material revealed the scabbed skin underneath. Void Walker skin. This was new. A minuscule trickle of blood ran down my nose. Touched by Nyx! Stony spikes erupted. I dove through the depths of space. Pulled Doc out of the way as the sharp protrusions slammed against the asteroid behind us. Molten lava spewed forth.

            I curled my body around Doc’s as an unnatural heat encapsulated us.

*****

            Dexter slammed into the barrier.

A furnace prickled against his knuckles but never broke the skin. Lava within the depths of space shouldn’t have been possible. Not without magical assistance. The section of magma cooled to an ashen black discoloration. Angry red cracks formed. Then it was gone. Black noted worriedly, <<They are outside the boundaries of Eden.>>

Dexter replied, “As was foretold.”

Death haunted his sister’s remaining steps.

*****

            Lorain Lanis reached out to brush the soot away from Eliza’s face. Her yellow defender belt said, <<No oxygen detected. Threading remaining atmo reserves to lungs directly. Sheild at 87% and dropping.>>

            This was it. The only way they could save Mary Herbert-Lanis. Dangle a bigger prize. Eliza spasmed. Her eyes shot open. Doc huddled against Murphy’s chest plate as the Star-Spangled Banner burned through the craggy substance.  As they neared freedom Lorain stopped Eliza with a  poignant look. “Beware everything here. Nothing is as it seems.”

            Murphy slowed.

            Lorain said quietly, “It’s the only way to save mom. Please.”

            That bright smile lingered. “Say no more. Besides, I did make a promise. Where you go? I go.”

            Lorain reached up to caress Eliza’s cheek. Flooding Murphy’s nervous systems with additional triggers. The rest would be up to Golden Bulleteer and the other teams. The timer on Eliza’s necklace mocked Lanis.

            Convergence Stage One Approaching.

            Lorain shook herself.

            Keep your head in the game!

*****

            I knew those heartbeats.

On the other side? Lightbringer. The Puzzler. As I burned through the remaining layer, my eyes stung, then I pulled Doc behind me. I aimed one swift kick to the midsection of the makeshift trap. The two men before me smirked. Their dead eyes lingered on my face. The one wearing Eddie’s features moved forward. The tip of his knife held to the throat of a young boy. His green armor glittered. Scales.

With a golden snake on the chest. “Shhhh. One act of heroics from you and I withhold the antidote from this child. We have an extensive phycological profile on you Star.”

            The Viper. He called out. His voice pitched lower, “I can see you Doctor Impossible. That belt of yours cannot hide you from me.” Lorain appeared. Her image fluctuated until she managed to sync with this universe.  Arthon’s double, The Dominator of Athalas, remained silent. A white eyepatch situated over his right eye held my attention. Same build, same black hair with one stripe going through it. Longer. Warrior’s braids in the front.

            His armor flowed over him like a second skin. It was blood red. Viper held the child by one arm. Then hissed in the boy’s ear, “Remember. Your parents only live if you behave.” We had no choice. I followed them into the adjacent corridor. The last person I wanted to see was on the other side. I knew that heartbeat.

            My Aunt Q’vera stared at me, “That’s it? That’s the Star-Spangled Banner of Eden Earth. The American Dream?!” She spat on the flood. “What a joke. Bring out the slaves. Hook them to the Hero.” Each heartbeat thudded in my ears. How would this help the infiltration team?!

            I fell to my knees as a warped gray hand passed through my chest. Examined the fluids.

            Nyx stated coldly, “No way to part my gift from her now.” Then her cross-shaped scarred visage leaned down, “But I can experiment!”

She cooed, “No parents here to take you from me !”

One blackened tentacle  wrapped around Eddie’s neck, “Keep these hooked to her as insurance.” They chained Lorain to her mother. At least all of their bio-shrouds were intact. One more was added to the line. J’anu Urraden’s tortured form was linked to mine. Her lip was split. Black circles under her eyes indicated restless nights beyond her stamina to endure. She flinched when another humanoid form entered the room.

Hilary Brookes.

Her face glowed. She ran a finger down J’anu’s neck, “You were just the test run my dear.” Images flowed into my mind. From the Urraden Family line. I clamped down on my inner cheek to prevent myself from showing any sides of distress. The copper tang filled my mouth. There was hardly a mind within J’anu. She had been abused. Not just physically but mentally as well. Not enough to completely break her but enough that those images would never be shared between us again. Not even by accident. Evil only begets evil. She and her father were planning on fleeing. Taking only Ta’rammon and a few favored individuals.

They would let the rest of their home universe burn.

That was why they made my clone. They had hoped she would distract these servants of Unity. Gain enough momentum to cause problems for the Eternal Empire. Instead? This cluster was ready to implode at a moment’s notice. Hilary sauntered over to the main docking bay. The doors opened and a pyramid made of glass was floating a few feet off the deck plating. She paused, savoring the fear rolling off of J’anu.

Brookes proclaimed loudly, “This is a piece of Noah’s Ark.”

Nyx said, “Yes. But we know it's trapped. So you will open it for us.” Without warning, she gripped the child with her lower tentacles. An octopus of nightmares. The boy shrieked. She motioned to the ship. The threat was clear. Everyone else moved forward. The nano chains forced them to move along with me. I dared not look at Q’vera or the others. This wasn’t a piece of the Ark. Three golden rings appeared as I approached.

A placid male voice intoned, <<State name and rank.>>

Bright blue lines poured over my body.

There was no reaction from anyone else. Only I could see the single-armed mirror before me. She said quietly, “Repeat these words.” She was out of sync. Grayed-out like all the other instances of time being slowed or stopped.

I said, “Captain Eliza Murphy Earth Node 334.5 Sector Alpha.”

There was a flash of bright light.

One last command touched my mind: You will have to leave everyone. Even Lorain. Stop the Dragon from taking the true section. You will know when.

A section of the ship’s hull lifted.

Nyx slithered over. Threw a device into the hatchway.

Golden beams destroyed the device. No trace particles remained.

The Viper said, “We will keep Doctor Lanis here with the pirate riff-raff.” The nano cord disconnected but left J’anu Urraden connected to my right side. It coiled about our waists. I remarked, “What if the ship attacks her?”

Hilary laughed. The sound echoed throughout the landing bay. It was ugly. Darkened by pure malice. “She’s served her purpose. What? Even after she stole that which is personal for you? How can you care….oh yes. You are the AMERICAN WAY personified.” She cackled, “What a joke. Don’t worry. I'll take care of that sweet doctor of yours.”

Mary snarled. Her lips curled. Horus, even with that mottled tan shell, dove in to shock her. It wasn’t to hurt. I could tell. But it made Mary freeze up. I could feel Lorain through our Union pieces.

>>Don’t worry cornfed. I'll get them all into position. Trust in the Weave. The Highest. For me. Please!<<

I took one step towards the darkened room within the glass pyramid. I poured all I could through our Union bond. >>One small step.<<

It slammed shut as soon as I was inside.

J’anu clutched at my arm. Her words slurred, “You will help me save my father and husband. That is not negotiable. Hero.” The last word was filled with bitter irony. For me or herself I couldn’t tell. Considering what Hilary had done to her I wanted to get Doc and the others out of there ASAP.

I remarked drily, “How about the subcontract then?”

J’anu averted her eyes.

She stiffed when I picked her up in my arms. “How about giving me a bit more on Unity and the power behind it. Not as a single unit. The demons at its core.” J’anu held back a burst of maniacal laughter. Her eyes gleamed like golden lava within the emergency lights of the ship.

“It looks like we have to save each other then. How delicious!” I examined her body with my enhanced senses. My voice softened, “How about medical first. You are closer to death than you let on.”

Her face paled, “Why do you care? Oh yes. Because mommy and daddy raised you so well!” I nodded, “Indeed they did. Mercy is not weakness.”

She smirked. A twisted mockery of my mother’s features.

“Lead on,” she said sardonically.

J’anu’s emotional pain spiraled outward. Clawing at my chest. A tiger pacing within the dark. My one-armed self flickered in my peripheral vision. Guiding me deeper into the Lure. I knew that on a fundamental level. Without knowing why. Hidden memory? One Arm saluted.

All in one. With time all is possible.

Unity will never understand this.

The scent of saltwater filled the area. J’anu trembled. The slight hiccup in her breathing gave it all away. I tested the air. Three doors down I could make out the pungent odor of antiseptics. It didn’t matter if she was the enemy. I would offer humanitarian aid. It was who I was. I would not live in fear of it. Or have those without honor rip that vital part away.

Good would prevail. I just had to figure out what the Lure was meant for.

*****

Arthon glanced at the outer hull of the Pyramid. Those were muthra marks! Each counting down. He groaned as the Viper kicked him savagely, “What’s that pirate scum? That’s Empire property now. No funny ideas.”

Arthon rested his forehead on the cool metal deck. He could help.

A sword in the dark.

Mary snapped, “We did what ya wanted. Remember our cut!”

Q’vera cupped Mary’s chin, “Don’t worry pet. You’ll get what’s coming to you!”

Hilary sauntered around Lorain. Her gaze sized the demi woman up like a piece of livestock. “Pray that your Red White and Blue Girl Scout makes it.” Hilary leaned in close, “I won’t sully you now. No, that would be too easy. Urraden started proudly too.” Brookes leered. “Unlike Chronos, I do have needs.”

Mary said, “Then find a lamppost. I’m sure that will be big enough!”

The Viper remarked, “Women are the worst.” His face turned jovial.

“Mere mortals are no fun. I go for more exotic stock.”

Lorain prayed. The image of her mother hanging from the gallows was ever present within her mind. She stared straight ahead. Ignoring Hilary’s hideous visage. Eliza would do it. It was in her blood. Literally.

Nyx would rue the day she injected Eliza with that concoction.

The Keeper in question wrapped its oily lower appendages about Lanis, “We will keep you pure. For now. Good seed broodstock. That is your fate.”

Brookes giggled. A demented school girl.

Lorain spat on the ground. Her deep green eyes were defiant.

*****

            The AI within the Lure counted down. <<Calculating Jump. Operation Bound From Fire Activated!>>

            Eliza made note of the update. A string of symbols burned into her mind. <<Ship, can you lock onto these individuals?>> It downloaded the desired targets from the Arbiter’s HUD. It waited until the Broken Line member fell into a deep medical slumber.

            <<Yes. All Eden personnel marked. Including the child. Running scan. DNA pairs located. Designation Parents. Including as desired.>>

            Eliza replied, <<Excellent. What is Bound From Fire’s overall mission parameters?>>

            The AI said, <<To help you take down the Living Stone Dyson Sphere.>>

            Eliza checked her Chrono, “Huh, not a Monday!”

Issue 10: Here

Issue 12: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment