Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The Uplift Protocol Union: Issue 13

 

Issue 13: The Shard Soul

 

            Lone Ranger got us out of range just in the nick of time. The wave of energy heading towards us was one wing flap.—J’ino Murphy

            My wife isn’t going to like this solution one bit.—Thomas Murphy

            A part of me always knew. To set things right? I would have to go beyond the baseline evils I had faced in the past. It didn’t hit me until that moment. It was me and doc vs every nightmare known to civilized worlds. J’anu had a spark. Just a sliver of humanity left. It was enough. Unity had opened the Conflict. The Highest finished it. I was that instrument.—Sleeping In Starlight: The Encroaching Shadow

Z’ahramdus

The Mouth

Dread Wastes (Eternal Empire Universe)

 

                I jerked the ship into a dive. Herculean forces rocked the crystal hull.

The melody turned sour.

            <<Captain. Calculating course. Suggest evasive action. Undead signatures multiplying!>>

            J’anu, still plastered to the floor, howled, “Our savior!”

            I stopped Eddie with a warning glance. “No one touches Urraden.”

            Since they were all in the guise of Eternal Empire pirates I assumed the mission was still on. “I don’t care how you were raised. I will put you on the ground if you approach her.”

            J’anu said dourly, “Oh? Find the experiences within my head too much to bear? You know, Hilary wishes to do worse to….” Her throat seized up. Doc’s face was pale. Her eyes darted to J’anu’s back. Her healing senses took stock of all the healed over wounds. Ones that even this ship’s medical facilities couldn’t properly regenerate.

            Doc stated over our Union channel, <<She had three miscarriages.>>

            Yes. She had taken a piece of me. Orchestrated events that would spiral out in ways that were still unknown to me. The man in white indicated otherwise. By blood and bone, the Pathways would be resurrected. That Golden Path he kept mentioning. All I had to do was have faith. I never wished this kind of pain on anyone. Not even my enemies. Lorain said clearly, “Do you want to lose your final child?”

            J’anu’s face contorted, “Bitch. Stay out of my body.”

            Lorain frowned, “I have to feed more energy into that ruined mush you call a womb.”

            I focused on dodging the endless hoards of undead detritus heading our way. Everything from bipeds to animals that flew, swam, or crawled were making their way towards us. The ship “corralled” the pirates to the western corner. Then it put up a privacy shield. We could still see them but the sound was cut off. Mary’s left hand flicked a small set of signs in my direction.

            //Viper knows we aren’t normal. Has Eddie’s “knack.” Have Lorain “medically” clear us of bombs. Weapons. Hazards. J’anu will expect it.//

            I jerked the ship into an ascending spiral. Towards the heat sacks of the dragon’s upper jaw. The undead veered away sharply. Their forward ranks burst into flame. “We can hide here for now. Doc, get our “guests” situated.”

            I elaborated over the Union link, <<Their cover isn’t blown. But that Viper fellow knows there are unusual vibes with those “pirates.” See if Eddie can help you augment their signatures.>>

            J’anu frowned as I placed her against the wall. Crystalline ropes formed over her body. I said, “Sit tight. You still have internal injuries.” Urraden spat. The glob hit my left cheek. I resisted the urge to wipe it off. I continued, “Everyone gets checked out. Even those pirates. Don’t want them to blow up. Figuratively or literally.”

            J’anu eyed me callously, “Aww. And I was just starting to hope you had no brain between those ears!”

            Lorain pressed her thumb and forefinger to J’anu’s temple. The Typherian passed out. Her breathing evened out. Doc sent one last burst of healing energy through the wreaked vital organs. She said, “Hilary implanted a nano spike within J’anu. It monitors her fertility rate. That is declining. I’d need more time to find out where the kernel is at.”

            I replied, “When you have the rest checked out? See if you can make that happen. She’s twisted but I sense she isn’t done with me yet.” Lorain stepped back, saluted, then was gone as the transporter beam took her to our friends. A few moments later J’anu hummed, “They think I left all my reproductive nodes within my body….”

            She wouldn’t meet my eyes.  That frail emotion hung between us.

As tenuous as a speck of dew.

I knew what she feared so I spelled it out for her, “No. Nyx didn’t place her gift within you.”

Those blood-red orbs snapped up to my face. A glint of hope within. She sagged within the confines of the crystalline tendrils. I turned on my heel. I had to get some food within me. I had been up two weeks strait within the time bubble of this ship. For the rest? It had only been moments outside. The Lure had been made specifically for this moment. Unity would lay claim to Z’ahramdus. I intended for it to chase me. To the ends of all creation if need be. So that Arthon and the others could complete their mission.

The Man in White appeared before me.

Guide the Dragon towards the Cliffs.

I leaned against the sidewall. The song of the Lure gave me a sense of peace.

“I will keep it safe. The Ark shall rise.”

He pressed his thumb against my forehead.

Walk the Path. Trust the Threads that bind us all.

            He smiled. A burst of warmth flooded my chest.

            I replied, “You don’t know who else resides within Unity’s skin?”

            The Highest peered into my soul. For a split second, we were linked.

A new wrinkle. Created beyond my purview. That is why I need your help. Reveal this hidden voice to me.

I said, “The mandate against cloning.”

His frown deepened. Yes.

“What if it’s a….” His energy washed over me. Not a deluge. But a trickle. So he could remain hidden.

That is what I must find out. The Apple was never meant for the mortal world.

He plucked a white lily from his suit. It phased into my body.

This will keep your soul grounded. Even within the Mirrored Halls of Purgatory.

Not of my making.

*****

       Eddie faced Doc, “You’ll have to change the biosignature vibrations of our covers. Not to the frequency of the Eternal Empire. That way any unusual items we have won’t stick out like a sore thumb.” He handed over the copper rings.

            Doc placed them on the table. “Ship, replace the metal of Eden with Universe 356.”

            The AI responded, “Noted. Coding Eden copper to Union Bracelet.”

            Eddie frowned, “Another Arcane mandate?”

            Lorain nodded. Eddie reached out to grasp Lorain’s shoulder. “Hey. We can do this!” The smile didn’t reach her eyes. The Puzzler could see that Doctor Impossible wasn’t in the correct headspace so he shouted, “WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS! SO TURN THAT LEMON INTO SPRING SHOWERS!”

            Doc’s hands curled into talons, “ALL THOSE VISIONS WERE LIES DAMNIT! THAT DRAGON WILL EAT HER! IT WEARS THE FACE OF EVERYONE!” Doc collapsed. Mary reached out to wrap her daughter into a hug. Arthon whispered, “Z’ahramdus isn’t just a dragon. Or a living stone monstrosity. It’s the howls of the souls consumed by Unity all across the cycles since the Shattering.”

            Mary’s expression curdled. The sorrow consumed her, “And the Order knew this. Convergence is here. Unto the darkness shall the Arbiter ride. Her body, blood and soul consumed. Reforged into the vessel of the Path.”

            Q’vera shocked them all by kneeling. Her fist over her heart, “Not just one Arbiter. Those who sided with C’alain were also gifted with the words. That same Word terrifies the minions of despair. All those who were Arbiter.”

            Eddie paced, “So Noah? How many Arbiters besides him?!”

            Q’vera, “All Arbiters of the Word. Hidden on the other side of the False Uplift.”

Arthon crossed himself, “None shall walk alone. That is the real meaning.”

            Q’vera smiled. It was a fierce thing. All teeth.

            “We shall pluck the rose from the garden.”

            Within the depths of Arcane Order sectors, the multitudes of Weave Speakers cried out, as honored ancestor souls left. Each had been an Arbiter.

The Dread Wastes (Eternal Empire)

Arcane Battle Hauler Lone Ranger

T-Minus 1 hr

 

            Thomas ignored his tears.

            He had to get the ship ready. His wife would fly them to the meeting point. The panel before him wavered once more.

This was it. Ta’mathon bowed. Within his mind, the old ruler nodded, “We must leave. She shall not walk alone. Get the Reborn from the Fallen Shadow of Eternal Mars. Then you can complete the Ark. Place the Crystal Coffin within the heart of the vessel. It will know what to do.”

Thomas held out his hand. Ta’mathon took it. The ancient face reformed. Regained the vigors of youth. “Until we meet again. May the Wall Endure and Ouro protect you.”

He cleared his throat, “Take us outbound. Meeting Point Omega.”

They jumped from the Graveyard of Intersecting Souls.

The vessel of Z’ahramdus would not go quietly.

 

*****

            Sul’sandra dropped the Bracers of Ta’mathon.

The life energies had drained from them. The gems within darkened. All the old guardians of the Golden City had departed. Taleer reached out. “It is time sister. We shall reform the Ark.”

*****

Z’ahramdus stretched its wings.

“M’atarn failed to kill me. What hope do you have little meat puppet of the Highest? The GREATEST LIE to the known multiverse.”

The world eater sucked in a massive breath. Consumed the materials from all over the sector of what locals dubbed the Dread Wastes. Infinity stretched before the serpent as the 7 entered its body.

Mammon, “All that is known shall be mine.”

Asmodeus, “You exist for my pleasure.”

Beelzebub, “I Shall Consume All Before Me.”

Leviathan, “My power shall rule.”

Belphegor, “Why consume when you can lure.”

Satan, “Within the Red expanse all will die.”

The Cord of Lucifer resonated but did not engage.

Six voices lashed out in rage, “Betrayer!”

Known to all divine books as the kingmakers of vice. Unity purred as the final entity entered. Its glorious light encompassed all of them. “My friends. Let us end this irritant once and for all.”

*****

            Lucifer smirked, “Round 2.”

            His father would have plans within plans.

            He had arrived at the Eternal Empire outpost to a disturbed hybrid Brookes. Madness boiled under her skin. “MURPHY IS MINE!”

            Chronos replied, “To the victor go the corpses.” He flicked his wrist towards the wall. His daughter went flying. “Do be quiet my dear.” She bucked and twisted. Foam frothed at her mouth.

            Nyx studied the Fallen One. Remembering the Word. This would be the opening salvo. Nothing more. She would make sure Chronos would be the last standing in the Long Dark. She turned back towards the Word.

It howled, “Three Crowns! Three Paths! Blood, Soul, and Bone.” It was being pulled by Children of Chains. Where the Grace of the Fallen went? It would be pulled along. Even as it spewed lies and heresy!

*****

J’anu watched as the single scale of the Dragon appeared. It was too massive to record with the sensors provided. The pirates behind her watched. Their faces were grim. She said, “That is why I am not a hero. Why let you scum escape as well?”

She studied them. “No, don’t give me a hogwash story. You never had bombs, did you? You never lived here.” She leaned against the crystal. Lanis’ was a marvel. J’anu had to give her that. It was as if her wounds had never existed. From the head of the escape craft, the demi in question replied, “You want out from under? Then sit down and let me fly!”

J’anu noted the puffiness around the Doctor’s eyes.

She’d use that. For now, she merely replied, “As you wish.”

The fire wasn’t in it. A mote of doubt had wormed its way into her heart.

Could Murphy do it? What Matarn of the Scholars could not. It would help their chances of escape. Her father’s voice cracked along the Urraden family line, >>Help them take Unity’s toy. I will send Ta’rammon to fetch you when the time is right.<<

            Strange bedfellows indeed. She sat upon the padded flooring.

            “If it’s worth anything? I do believe Eliza can make a difference. Z’ahramdus hasn’t eaten us. SO that’s a start!”

            Q’vera’s hands shook. They still would play the part. As to not give J’anu any more ammunition.

*****

            I had given Lorain the letters. Encoded so it would react to my parents and no others. Ghostly hands gripped my shoulders. C’alain smiled. His outline gleamed like quicksilver in the emergency lights of the ship. They were all here. Noah said, “By Blood and Bone. We will endure.” The Wall wasn’t just the Ouro.

            “Let’s get to work. Find the wound.”

            I had left my spear behind. It hadn’t been meant to pierce the dragon. No, it was awaiting my final form. Whatever that would be. Unity would have a final form as well but it would not be able to call upon this Universe ender. That would die. As I would die. Now was not a time to regret. Too much was at stake. Down into the abyss, we went. Countless stars burned within the void of Z’ahramdus stomach. Dead planets. C’alain pointed, “Not quite consumed.”

            Undead figures moved in mass across the surface of each planet. Souls bound to horror.

            That would end today.

*****

            White awoke in a field of white lilies.

The shadowed form of Dexter knelt next to her, “You are nearly whole. Black will be with you. I must go. Travel the paths unknown to mortal men.”

            Black whirled.

His tiger form paced, “The Highest go with you. Thronebearer. Pierce the Darkness of the False Path.”

            White’s form blurred.

Her wound was completely healed. No trace of it remained on her soul.

She lifted her head to the sky and sang. The melody rose to the heavens.

*****

            The place within me that belonged to Nyx recoiled from the music reverberating within the crystalline vessel. The scent of white lilies reminded me of home. Baseball games. Cookouts. The night sky filled with shooting stars. The others could feel it as well.

            “Into the fire. But not into darkness.”

            The divine host followed in my wake.

            The Shard Soul sang. Not the false promise of Unity but that sliver of light that remained. Where Matarn had landed that fortuitous blow. It cried out to me. White’s melody focused my senses. I followed.

            The path was set.

Issue 12: Here

Issue 14: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment