Wednesday, April 20, 2022

The Uplift Protocol Blood Feuds: Issue 1

 

Issue 1: Turning Point

 

            I repeat, half the fleet is gone, and our internal chronological devices are frozen. Is anyone at Alliance Command reading this?! The enemy is out of phase. We cannot fire upon them.—Recovered Alliance Black boxes

            It was like I was everywhere all at once. I didn’t just exist on the ship. It’s all above my pay grade.—Lt Weathers, after-action report

            I remember Anna asking once: “Do you regret what the Highest did to you?” My answer didn’t faze her. “Sure. I have regrets. I wonder if anyone could have done more. I tried to change things when Doc and I went back to Elysium. Before the Fall. But the Highest knew what I wanted to do. He could see everything all at once. In the end? Purgatory and Hell had to exist. Because mortals were given a gift. The right to choose. For good or ill. I am thankful that a majority rather follow the path of Light.—Sleeping in Starlight: Reflections

Paradise Falls

Central Region Resorts

April 25th, 2136

            Ta’rammon clenched his teeth. The people here weren’t civilians. All of them were various levels of a soldier. Civilian service or otherwise. Their movements were controlled. Confident. A perky “waitress” ambled over, “What can I get you today?” J’anu ordered half the menu. He pressed a hand to her stomach under the table. Urraden’s mindvoice cut in, >>Accelerated. Three months along. Besides outward appearance shifts? I think that Doctor set a timer.<<

            >>Order what you need. We will go off-grid for a while.<<

If his wife held the prize? He’d make it hard for everyone involved.

Including the Apex Devils.

She added another set of ribs to the pile of food.

Her reply wasn’t directed towards him but their “Host.”

>>Are these defenders strong enough?<<

*****

            I jerked forward as Urraden touched the Family Line. Doc’s head rose from my chest. She lifted my old yellowed NASA cap from my head. It was faded. Worn at the edges but just the way I liked it. I was in my captain’s outfit. As Lorain called it. The black boots, pants, white synth shirt. My iconic blue flight jacket. That jacket had seen numerous repairs. The hammock had been an excellent idea. A calm before the storm as they say. She was wearing that summer outfit. A personal joke. Memories of past adventures. I brought up the roster of all the forces on the planet. It took me two heartbeats to analyze all the information.

I replied, >>Yes. Made to endure the Coils.<<

            Urraden couldn’t hide her disquiet.

            >>Ensure our survival and I will give you my child.<<

            I stared up into the bright blue skyline. The trees swayed in the breeze. I would not lie to her. Not at this junction. >>You must allow Cerberus to consume you. It is the only way the demons will think you dead. Unity enslaved your bloodline before the Fall of Elysium. I have a way out for you both. You will not like it.<<

            I opened the floodgates. For King Urraden? Nothing.

            His sins were greater.

            On par with Chronos.

            Cloning diluted soul shards until nothing remained.

*****

            J’anu pulled Ta’rammon into the alcove. Shared the flow with him. They were damned but if this was the only way? She would take it. She prayed that her husband would see it the same way. The despot of the Eternal Empire stared out into space. Stone encased his heart. He asked quietly, “This is the only way?”

            He had seen the hill of bone. His body warped as he walked the scaled surface of Hell. His wife was next to him. Their sins open sores. The barbed whips coiled in bloody palms. There would be no redemption. Not in this life. The enormous weight of their transgressions would not allow for it. He pulled J’anu towards the seaside. The wooden planks of the pier warmed their feet.

            He shivered, “The path of a jailer then.” J’anu glanced away.

            Their son would not suffer their fate.

*****

            Doc wrapped her arms around my neck. “I didn’t think you’d….”

            I finished, “…be that blunt?”

            She nodded. The top of the golden headdress tickled the underside of my chin.

            I pulled her in closer. The sun couldn’t offset the chill that surrounded me.

            I whispered, “At least this way they keep their souls.” I had seen the surface level of Unity. In all its horrid aspects. Even with the soul block that the Highest had imprinted on me? I still had the night fever. Doc didn’t say anything but she didn’t often send me into a deep sleep. Some marks would take time to heal. The weight would remain. I would bare it across the stars. Not for myself. To protect others. I wouldn’t wish consumption upon my enemies. No matter how vile. Their paths had been etched before I had been born.

            I would finish it.

            The rusted metal flashed. My mind flowed through the Ur.

            Thoth’s crazed mouth opened as black serpents flowed forth.

            He snarled at me, “You believe that He can save you?!”

            The serpents bit into my flesh. Their venom dissipated under the glow.

            “He already has. You are blind and toothless.”

            My future self blocked Thoth’s advance to the Twilight Throne.

            Again Robin’s arrows hit their mark. The knife edged closer.

            Doc rotated my cap in her hands. Fiddling with the brim. Her voice taunt, “It's that dream again. The warning from the Tower of the Lidless.” I took her into my arms and floated above the treeline. “Yeah. Knives in the dark.”

            Mom’s voice cut through the Ayeer side of the Family Line, >>Eliza! I can’t feel your father!<<

I ran through my connection to Dexter. Silver flame sparked. There she stood. My final form. Silver Fox herself. She bowed, “All will remain.” I wasn’t able to ask the questions. It wasn’t required. She reached out. My mind swirled with the Ur.

*****

            Lorain shouted,” Eliza?!” They remained motionless above the treeline. Her muscles tensed as her captain lifted her head. A small pop caused her to peer downward. A massive black wolf circled. Its bright orange eyes never wavered. Eliza said, “Twilight approaches the 2nd trial. Dexter and Father are helping her. Along with the Area 51 squad.” Her voice was ancient. Not in tone but inflection. Lorain’s H.U.D went insane.

            ///Arcane Node unlocked. Arbiter Phase 3 missive inbound.///

            Lanis braced herself. Gentle fingers traced a set of three rings upon her forehead, “The time will come when you must choose. You know of what I speak.” Lorain’s throat tightened. She nodded. The movement was clipped. She retorted harshly, “It's one thing to say it…..”

The other replied, “It's another to experience it. Yes. As with all things? Unity cannot abide the Truth of the world.” Each word peeled back another layer. Lorain’s eyes darted to Eliza’s nose. She couldn’t force herself to meet the other’s eyes. Not while the final phase was present.

The being within remarked, “Walk the Path set before you.”

That tremendous force left Eliza’s body.

The Arbiter was a vessel. To contain the will.

Across all eras.

Lorain paled. The Icath facilitated time travel but only for those touched by the will of the Highest. Eliza said, “That is why I must face the knife. Unity must not be allowed to corrupt the Icath Pair.” Thoth possessed the only weapon that could slay the divine.

She asked, “What can we do? In the face of such madness?!”

*****

            Her hands clawed at my shirt. Ur-Memory flowed. The portioned corners of my mind and soul replaying events. Dozens of scenarios. Calculations. Threads bloomed. Gold and silver flame. Strength would flow from Eddie and those of Earth. While the pillars of the first would crumble under the onslaught. The second death would reveal the Forge. A kernel of fear wedged itself within the deepest recesses of my mind. I embraced it. I would not lie to myself. The prospect tore at me. We were not made to fathom the deepest mysteries.

It was too much for any person to take on.

As Arbiter, I only held a glimmer of the whole picture.

            I said aloud, “It seeks the lesser ones even now. Evil will not rest. Neither can I. We must meet it blow for blow! Three deaths. Three circles. 12 Cycles of the Shattering.”

            Lorain hugged me as we floated higher into the air.

            The truth of my words sunk in. The Highest had chosen us. Out of countless souls.

            He had given us time. Convergence had come and gone. Only the Path remained. To secure the future. Lorain said, “I know. I should just compartmentalize. What’s next?”  I lowered us to the white sands.

            “We assemble. Just like the old days.”

            I placed my hands on my hips, “A demi’s work is never done.”

            Doc gave a small laugh, “Think we could ask Him for better insurance?”

            I winked, “I have first-class level! Two more resurrections coming up!”

            She shoved me playfully but her eyes were lighter than they had been moments before.

            I recalled those early days fondly.  I would not waste what time remained. A burst of good cheer flowed. One must not forget guests! Cerberus greeted me with a swish of his tail. In this form, his orange eyes blazed. Over 30 feet tall. I called up to him, “Well met.”

            He huffed kindly, “Again you mean. As the Ouro flows!”

            I replied, “Let’s go round up the hunting party.”

            As the Howling? He introduced me to a world beyond my own. As Cerberus, he would walk with me into the depths. Lorain said, “I might want to change first.” I gave her a critical once over, “One day we need a vacation without the world ending.”

            She poked my nose, “I think that can be arranged.”

            I replied, “I still have to fill up that dance card.”

            Lorain snorted. “Don’t you worry. I'll have you at the intermediate level.”

            It was true. I usually floated instead of going through the dance moves.

*****

            Gwen said, “Dad is alive.” J’ino watched as Anna stood from the pod. The UEF used them to augment Weave Speaker sensitivity. McQuire reached out to drain another cup of coffee. “Yeah, they got their marching orders. So did we!” J’ino stifled a yelp as a giant white wolf’s muzzle poked through the doorway, “HI! I am Argos! You might know me as….”

            Gwen’s face transformed, “AUGUSTUS!”

            The wolf sneezed, “Yes! Many truths. But I like my hidden form. Useful for protecting the Arbiters!” J’ino re-checked her firearms. Including the pearl-handled white beauty from Area 51. An Arcane Order special. Gwen eyed it cautiously, “That’s a Bird killer.” Her mother brushed the sides of the holsters.

            “I won’t let them hurt you anymore.”

            An alert went over the Arcane Net.///Protectorate reinforcements inbound.///

*****

            Vines wrapped around me and pulled me into White Lily’s embrace. My brothers arrived in a gust of wind. I wondered how many were speedsters. Since only a few of the Murphy clan had been outed as Demis. Mainly myself, my father, Dexter, and my Mom. Golden Bulleteer fixed my cape. Sir Avalon bowed. Doctor Zanzibar flicked a card in my direction, “Good for any meal within our community!” The magic flickered across the surface. It was primarily black with a golden-lined Joker in the middle.

            I pocked it within my red utility belt, “I’ll cash in later!” He tapped his cane across my blue chest piece. At the center of the White Star. “Ta’manthon sends his regards. He awaits you at the Dawn.”

            The Golden City. I nodded. Another piece slotted into place within my mind.

            Above us, the energy shield of the planet colored the sky a bright green. We had jumped to another sector of space. My back twitched. “Follow Mama Bear into the caves below. We have to sanctify everyone’s suits.” Slapdash, his uniform was silver. With two bolts of golden lightning on the front. He circled repeatedly. His message was brief.

            //Can’t wait to see what you can do Sis.//

            Mom herded the troops to the sigil points.

            I pressed my palms to the stonework. White light encased the alcoves.

I repeated the process until all had proper protections.

Mom nudged me, >>What do you need me to shoot?<<

I rose. Pressed my forehead to hers. “All the feathered things that don’t quack.”

*****

            Slapdash cracked each knuckle individually.

A warm glow flowed over him. He felt like he could run around the Multiverse 10 times over. The energy boost revitalized him. “WOO!”

His grandfather smiled, “It's good to see everyone together again.” Victor had grown up listening to the stories of his sister. Training with Dexter. It was time to prove his worth. Not just against the typical level Living Stone. Or the various small-time criminals that had popped up over the years. He sent a missive to a certain Floridan menace. //Hey! Drink a few beers for me. Will join when old enough!//

The icon of a gator walking with a black top hat and black cane winked back.

Slapdash shot his grandfather a thumbs up.

            A holo appeared. The northernmost Island chains. Eternal winter.

            Golden Bulleteer cleared his throat, “Here’s the sitrep!”

*****

            Morgana crawled across the frigid surface. Her muscles strained with each movement. The blood within her heartbeat slowly. Her bones were brittle. Rejuvenation did not come easily. The Two Hollowed Ones circled above. Dark. Deadly.

            Capricious.

            Twin black beaks pecked at her back. Their talons left angry welts.

            Ours. Always. Her soul was bound. There was no escape. Only death would greet her. Only by their accord. She was on borrowed time. She would take it out on those brightly colored masks of justice. She screamed as the rocky wastes poured over her exposed skin. Each layer crashed upon the other. As she reached the waters of the ocean, hulking obsidian legs disturbed the depths. Wispy forms rose.

            They sought the blood of the living.

            Feed. The light must die!

*****

            Slapdash gawked. The obsidian golem’s footfalls shook the ground. Its shadow blocked out the artificial sunlight. His HUD flickered as night vision kicked in. Tidalwave’s katana glimmered a bright blue in the sudden darkness. Amazing Grace pointed, “Wraiths!”

            Sir Avalon chanted. Cracks of lightning struck the rocks exposed by the receding ocean. The scent of burnt feathers filled the air.

            Zanzibar bellowed, “Attack Pattern Beta!”

A black spear, with nine points on the end, blazed with golden sigils. A clarion call rose as the metal struck the lead wave of Wraiths. A burst of wind made Blue Blaze plant his feet. His sister charged. “The Wall Endures!”

            The battle cry echoed.

            Trees swayed with each thunderous step.

            Morgana howled. The sound carried. A few demis with particularly sensitive hearing clutched their heads. The Star-Spangled Banner chanted, //M:M\\!  Blue Blaze could breathe once more. He zigzagged between two ethereal wraiths. Tapping them lightly with his shielded palms. The metal heated as the Light Shaman wards along with his sister’s aura boost sanctified the corrupted souls.

            They keened. Dried blood filled his nostrils.

            Morgana had arrived.

Prologue: Here

Issue 2: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment