Monday, April 4, 2022

The Uplift Protocol Union: Issue 21

 

Issue 21: Shattered Blade

 

            Faith renewed. Unbroken since the beginning.—Bardaxian Proverb

            The flesh is weak. The Twins ask. We obey. The blood of Urraden will float. Disposed King of the Eternal Mind.—Hunin and Vixrex

I will name each phase by my death. The first phase was of the mind. The second phase was the body. The third? That cleansed my soul. It was the hardest of the three. When I was within the first? I could commune with the second. The 2nd could commune with the third. My final resurrection? I could encompass all. That was key within the Highest’s plans. Unity would know only what I could offer it. In return? The Shard of the Highest within me learned all he needed to know about the nature of his demonic foes. I was a being of two worlds. In more ways than first suspected.—Sleeping in Starlight: Final Vigil

Weave of Eden

The Golden City (Earth)

Tombs of Eternity

 

            Ta’mathon rose. The golden sarcophagus opened to reveal the Inner Circle. Isis, Anubis, and Ra leaned over the edges of their corresponding units. A servitor hovered close by. Rejuvenation potions at the ready. Its golden carapace was outlined with green sigils. In the shape of a scarab.

            <<Integrating new implants with modern Arcane Order systems.>>

            Isis stretched. Her shoulders popped. “Phase 1. Now just to get that Crystal Home into the Chamber.” Ta’mathon leaned back. His old armor lowered to the ground level. The metallic clamps were steady as the day they were forged. He linked with ArcaneNet.

            The area above the “old site” had been cleared. Homes moved.

Population resettled. The city would rise.

*****

            The outer shell of Typha was ghostly white. Dots of purple expanse spread outward. Forests. The outer atmo bubble expanded. The Healing House lifted higher. Golden Bulleteer marveled at it.

            “Was it always supposed to look like this?”

            I nodded. “It is the twin shield world to Earth.”

            My grandfather sped across the outer surface. Then zigzagged across the inner shell. The Weave prevented the inner seas of that hollowed planet to float out into the void of space. When he returned he asked, “What will we do about the Houses demanding to return?”

I stood. “This place will either welcome them or reject them.”

Only the Commons could walk here undisturbed. For they had held to the path.

Typha’s planetary consciousness flooded my mind.

>>You are free to walk here Ayeer-Urraden. Alongside those of your line. Within this Universe or others. Outer Shell is still under rejuvenation. Inner Hollows are nearly clear of Unity Presence.<<

Sunburst landed. His demi uniform was golden at the shoulders.  Orange sunbeams on each shoulder. Black for the rest. An orange utility belt. He had my coloring. My hair. Doc’s eyes. Two green beams manifested. His parents bowed. Refugees from a ruined Earth. Under the command of Fallen Urradens.

Our son via another universe.

J’irax Thomas Lanis.

That Eliza reached out to squeeze the life out of me.

“Your people came for us.” The Breach War.

Ur Memory flowed. Granting me the highlights of that conflict.

At 5ft 8 inches, she held a wiry strength I could appreciate.

J’irax saluted, “Heya!”

I replied, “Sunburst? Let me guess, you have that razzle-dazzle with your hands?”

He thumped his chest, “Yep, Living Stone hates it!”

My HeroNet account unlocked. Responses flooded my HUD. The Ur Stone flowed around the Jupiter Rising. Combining with my ship. The outer hull remained the same but to my senses? It prickled against my third eye. Demanding attention. I still had work to do on the planet of Typha. Eliza Odessen shouted, “Well now. We have you to thank. Arbiter!”

She was followed by House Legionnaires. The UEF honor guard followed.

>>House Odessen recognized.<< The voice of the planet intoned solemnly.

This was why I had to make sure Ith’aria had been cured. Lucifer had known that the shield worlds had soul stones. He had always known. I said, “That was why the Lightbringer left. Unity just wants to corrupt them. Lucifer wants to destroy them.”

The Protectorate rallied to my side. Which also included my parents. Mom entered. A new Typherian-Terran logo on her shoulders. Full-on battle armor. “Mama. When did you get a tank suit?” She blew me a kiss.

“For Christmas!”

Gwen, Jace, and Tobin crowed around me, “Guess what we brought?!”

Tobin added, “Take a look at the messages when you can.”

My old uniform was carried in. Old Glory folded neatly on top of the pile. Lorain was tapping her foot. In her hands another sewing kit. She pointed at the chair. “Let’s resize those shoulders.” Mom provided the matter manipulation to reformat the suit. Gwen touched my burial sleeve, “What do we do with this?”

I replied, “I'll keep it.”

Sunburst exclaimed, “Isn’t that a bit morbid? Kinda Viking but….”

In a blink of an eye, my memories flowed. “It will ground me.”

            Jace, Gwen, and Tobin nodded. They knew as well as I did that two more trials remained.

            After adjustments, Lorain pulled me into the innermost portion of the Healing House and locked the door behind us. The water poured from the side alcoves. She took my House Burial clothing. Placed it neatly to the side. Then she pushed me under the waterfall. Her fingers worked at the knots in my back. “When did you start controlling water?” Lorain replied, “It’s not water.”

            I focused on the droplets. Minature sigils.

            //H:H\\ , the throne bearer word for “rejuvenation” flashed.

            “Explains why the Healing House is coating the entire planet!” Frigid metal tickled my neck. It trickled down my back. Doc clicked her tongue, “Stay still! It's new. I know. Lots of unfamiliar technology.” I couldn’t help it. I tensed up. Lorain booted me gently. That familiar kick to my hindquarters did more to reassure me than I realized.

 “Cornfed.” That one word was equally appalled and delighted all at once. I let out a slow breath.

            “Ok! You got me!” I placed my palms on the wall. The ache along my spine dulled to nothing. Or was it in my shoulders? I couldn’t tell. Lorain snorted and a block rose from the ground. “Sit.”

            I turned my head. Winked at her. “Yes Ma’am!”

            She shook a finger at me, “Trouble maker!”

*****

           Lorain pressed her thumbs to Eliza’s back. The new muscle that supported her wings within the Weave was regenerating under the flow. To all the Weave Speakers and Light wielders that could perceive them? They were gossamer thin. No color as of yet. Each feather responded to Lorain’s prodding. She poured waves upon waves of healing into those feathers.

 A message hit her HUD.

            ///Phase One complete. I won’t use these to fly in the physical world or the Weave. When they are at full power? Evil won’t abide my presence. Even now Living Stone will smoke when I get close. Just wait until you see how Unity clones like the Void Walker drones react. Unlike Hidan and other Thronebears? Since Dexter and I are mortal? They only manifest at times of great peril.///

            The only thing that had kept Doc sane over those last two decades was messages from Eliza’s future. In the distant past of Earth. It was too much to keep track of at this point. So Lorain didn’t bother to try. According to the Order, things were progressing as they should. That was good enough for her. She motioned to the changing station. Doc said, “Your shoulders are broader.”

            Eliza made a face, “Darn! I wanted to be a bit shorter!” She ambled over to the room. “Hey! This access point is nice and roomy!” Doc facepalmed. A few minutes later Eliza picked her up and danced about the room.

*****

            Doc let out a pleased yelp as I twirled us in circles. Not too fast. She tapped my breastplate. The giant white star was prominent once more. Her arms wrapped around my neck, “Let’s take care of Typha first.”

I replied, “Of course!” I paused. Bit my lip to prevent a stream of laughter.

            “Just how much of this Protectorate demi team is made of Murphys?”

            Lorain nearly hyperventilated against my neck.

            “Counting the 2 additional members from White Lily and Golden Bulleteer?”

            I doubled over as she updated the roster. My sides threatened to burst open.

            Sunburst, Lazarus, White Lily, Golden Bulleteer, Blue Blaze, Slapdash, Windwalker, The Triluminary of the Stars…to name a few.

Lorain gasped out, “…that doesn’t even count the Ayeer side of the house that went Demi….god help us.” She wheezed.

            I planted a kiss atop her head.

            “Should make the Hollowed portion interesting!”

 

The Inner Hollows

Typha(Eden)

           

HeroNet updated in real-time. Trillions of people watched the feed.

///Look! It’s the classic suit!///

Augustus trotted next to me. In his Yellow Bullet uniform. His nub of a tail was a regular whirlwind. The rest of the Protectorate in V-Formation behind me. Earth no longer had separate demi teams. We were all under one banner now. Mom’s mental amusement rose within the Family Line. Her callsign was Mama Bear. The suit was bulky. Like the old retro Mech Warriors of my grandparents' heyday. Its white carapace was bisected with the House Murphy colors. The Jar symbol foremost on the chest plate.

Dexter’s three children livened the commentary.

Two boys and one girl. Ages 14 through 16.

>>AUNTY!! We have a request!<<

I turned to eye them. Their black dynamo masks the spitting image of Golden Bulleteer’s. They wore black one-piece suits. Three white rings on their chests. White utility belts.

>>Yes?<<

They shouted, >>DO THE THING!<<

One of the Living Stone monsters took the shape of a mighty T-Rex. Ten times the size of the one from my debut into HeroNet and New Ashbury years ago. I cracked my knuckles. “Here batter batter!”

In a flash, I was before the monster. My fist balled up. The positioning was wrong. I had to aim at the opening layer between the outer and inner shells. Its upper skin layer smoked. The razor-sharp teeth snapped at the air. Mere inches from where it thought my face would be. I  gripped its long tail in my hands. Spun rapidly.

HeroNet went wild.

///Here it comes!///

///This isn’t a hoax is it?!///

///Nope! Check the feeds. McQuire there with side commentary!///

///The “In the Starscape?” host! Didn’t she hate Star’s guts once upon a time?!///

I’d check what that was all about later. The body of the T-rex became an interstellar object as I launched it into space. I followed its trajectory until it came upon the former floating palace of House Sourpuss. The edge of its arrow-shaped tail clipped E’ratha’s head right off. I caught the massive stonework head as we hurtled past. Her head would make for a fitting monument. Arcane Order battleships made an opening. Forewarned by my father. The twin suns of my homeworld twinkled. I spun in place once more. The stone head shot forward. Carrreened with the skull of the T-Rex. It hissed as it met the outer corona of the red sun.

A glint of metal flew through space. I reached out and caught it.

The pommel was ancient. A silky grandmotherly voice curled inside my head.

>>Thank the maker. Hephaestus! Tyre! My dear sons! Husband!?  Where are you?!<<

A Gemini matriarch inside a broken blade.

Excalibur exclaimed, >>Honored elder!<<

A flash of light encompassed the area. Arthur floated next to me. A thin layer of energy kept him space worthy. His crusader armor shone brightly in the void. That belt seemed familiar. I had seen it before. Behind the shroud of memory. One day the Alliance would encompass every star. Not as a dominator. As a protector. My nephew would command one of its ships. He was not yet born. I pulled back on the Ur-Memory. Now was not the time. My lips quirked at the joke. The sword tugged at my hand.

It bonked me politely with the crystal end of the pommel.

>>Ahh! Arbiter! Do you know where they are?<<

Lazarus winked into existence. Tyre cried out, >>Who put you in that horrid statue?<<

E’tarlass aka Excalibur replied, >>Urraden markings are on the edge of the shattered metals.<<

I brought the crossguard to my third eye.

They had used part of her power to make Thoth’s weapons. Along with her husband’s.

Athena cried out, >>You will help me save my family. Won’t you Arbiter?<<

I shouted, //88-|-88\\!

The white fire of Athena sprang forth. The stars flared. I could help her slow her husband. The next weapons from the belly of the All-Father’s domain would chip and shatter!

My third eye pierced the heavens. The boiled green sphere of horror floated before me.

>>Sing your Oaths, Athena. He will hear them.<<

*****

Hephaestus paused.

His fingers shook. The gentle arms of his wife curled around his biceps. >>Listen to my song.<< He put his hammer to the side. It had been so many years since he heard her voice. He hummed silently. Then picked up another hammer. His body swayed along with the music of his wife. >>That’s it. Pluck the threads. The dawn is coming.<<

Each spark rose. Warped the metals below.

His eyes turned the barest shade of green and gold.

He would honor the Highest. The chains holding him snapped. The Arbiter called.

Gemini Prime would need weapons. Good Men to wield them.

Within the depths of Tarkanan, hope bloomed once more, and other Gemini awakened.

Their four arms raised to the stars. Hephaestus was shardbearer for his people.

He would not fail them again.

Issue 20: Here

Issue 22: Here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment