Monday, September 12, 2022

The Will to Win!



BROSR is right. (imho) when it comes to TTRPG systems and how you use them.

If you want a book type experience? Find a system (even a LARP system) that promotes it instead.

Some TTRPGS are rooted in WARGAMING. Its the biggest reason why I butted heads in the STAR WAR TTRPG and Vampire TR setup.

  • I wanted to play a Clark Kent type. At best? With both of those campaigns? Anti-hero. Because overall that's what most of the character setups were engineered for. From what I could see. In the SW setup? The GM liked the Sith angle. For the other player character. So he was naturally enthusiastic about that trajectory 
  • With the Superhero Campaign? Which made me realize I wanted to write books rather than play TTRPGs? I got to play my superman flat arc type. Others did a mix of street level supers or magical based. I was the one who wanted the space fantasy angle. The win or loss numbers via dice rolls changed the narrative direction of what the characters were doing. 
Whenever I decide to get back into playing? 

I won't approach wargaming like I would a book. I'll make Bob the First. If he dies? Bob the 2nd. Not that I won't care about "story" elements. I'll just play the kind of simple character types I like. What some may consider 1 or 2 dimensional characters when they are just flat arc characters. They won't have a dynamic character arc. I don't want or desire one when I am playing TTRPGS. 

This review showcases what I want to find in books. I want more "boring" goody two shoes paladins. I've had my fill of sour-faced "totally 3 dimensional I want to read about the villain" setups.

What that review hated about this book? I enjoyed. Good combating evil and winning. Our world needs simple character types. Ones that are steadfast. Almost makes me wish I had been around during the high tide of the pulps. We need to make HEROICS king again.

VILLAINS don't need to be REDEEMED. Not all stories need SYMPATHY VILLAINS.




In Darkness Cast: Here


I wanted ultimate control. You won't get that in any TTRPG. 

You get that in writing your own books though. 

It just took me a long while to realize why certain things weren't clicking properly. You don't have to mash all types of mediums together. If you want to form a TTRPG setting where "Storytelling/Narrative Control" is possible? Make the mechanics work in that vein, don't change other properties to match what you want.

Make your own or write that book. That way you can make the heroes win. While dispatching the villains in any way you wish.



No comments:

Post a Comment