Monday, January 27, 2020

Helping with the Cake

Alright then. So what is a reader to do to help a series they enjoy. What are some writers doing to help or hinder the industry. Let's go a-questing.

(ALL this is one reader's opinions and observations)

One, I don't use goodreads anymore, even with its endless recommendations and lists. Look at my profile, last time I used it was the end of 2017:

My Goodreads Profile

I felt like I had to hide certain things, some political povs when I was on that site. Plus it felt like books I loved never got to see the spotlight much. Within goodreads that is. Still reading the Wild Magic series to my niece because it has all the well written talking animals but unlike 11yr old me, I can see the more blatant overarching author inserting ideas nowadays.So for simplicity's sake I usually skip those so my brother's kid doesn't have to worry about that stuff for now. She's 3. Plus the usual mainstays I had while little: The Boxcart Children. The originals that is. When my nephews are old enough, they are gonna get all sorts of Appendix N stuff. And if my niece shows the same interest, more books to pass around :D

Plus I noticed Goodreads staff pretty much only paid attention to Trad Publishing. With one lucky indie or two that might pop up. If you want to compete with the indie market, start giving us even more buffets. Some old mainstays are still golden, like: Baen and even Sun Eater, along with Alien. Thing is, Baen and others have learned to embrace the changing tides. It's not something to be feared. Just something that should be considered and maybe more trad sources will find audiences that will sustain anyone below Big Fish level akin to King, Sanderson, Rowling types ect. There's an audience for everyone but we can't forget that midlisters and even niche listers are vital to a growing book reading generation.

It doesn't help that a decent chunk of the aspiring writing crowd wants to be the next big movie hit. I think some forget how the greats....are enduring. The very tropes that the Rian Johnsons and others want to subvert are the very reason why stuff like LoTR still sell like hotcakes even today. Stop writing for a mythical hollow-wood deal that will most likely not come to pass. (Imho). Some readers, like myself, actively seek the things they love, or learn to. But not all are as self motivated. I enjoy unearthing new series or books because it gives me a wonderful feeling to bring a book to the light and show everyone how much fun it is.

In fact, even reddit book groups don't really help me too much. Interestingly enough, the most effective thing I've see is on Amazon's "Readers also Liked" these writers sidebar.






Or blogs. Dear god, I have found so much interesting stuff via blog. So glad I was convinced to start one. Might be looking into Discord Book Groups at some point. See if there's something in that arena.

But as far as reddit goes, stuff gets buried, along with Goodreads. So many books are listed but for a reader like myself, with so much there, what do I focus on? Since the big things that get most of the screen time on those sites don't interest me much.

Maybe readers should start making more reading clubs. Filled with like minded genre enthusiasts. To help us network with more things we like. Its an idea. Maybe blogs can assist with that endeavor. For now its back to more writing and getting my superhero reviewing on.

You best believe I'm not gotta forget Mr. C.J. Hehehehe!



More upcoming delicious anthologies:

Planetary Anthology 1
Planetary Anthology 2


Ill get to some more indie blowouts once I get this superhero splash blowout done. Its nearly there. I just love to babble my 2 cents ever so often. Weeee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment