Friday, January 24, 2020

Writing Process and Progress

Some simple things I have learned so far with my 3 months of writing under the belt:

  • Get the words on paper. Just get it out, dont worry about editing or making things perfect, you need the base clay. Editing/Next Drafts is when you shape it. 
  • Exposition can be converted to actual events. To draw people in. It will start as telling but as you keep writing, you can convert that later, make notes! 
  • I have a basic outline, with some events already set but its not set in stone, because sometimes in the process other ideas pop up that make it more organic to the story.
  • There's no wrong or right way to make a book. You wont really develop a style until you really start writing. (Give that style time to grow, its a continuous process, it might take years)
  • I love using headlines or quotes by characters to relay some exposition or setting lore. Akin to Karen Traviss' books.  
  • As for plotting/character arcs: So far I do a mix of connecting things to the plot but leaving room for character moments to create another avenue. 
  • I have a firm idea of where I want all the characters to end up but Its not 100% set in stone. I use my roadmap as a way to frame things but you don't have to adhere to that all the time. As you write stuff will pop up that will change the narrative as you go. 
  • Setting: Its rich, maybe even all the details wont make it in the main story line but that's what side stories are for. :D
Tropes aren't the enemy. Its building blocks you can add your own bit of flavor twist to. As you are writing, try to read other books with an eye towards how others setup their books. I've found it informative because while its not my piano playing, you can start gleaming ideas/techniques from others. Incorporate it to your work and see what fits you better.

Above all, Dont Quit! Readers are counting on you. I'm counting on you. Give this seagull more to screech about.

No comments:

Post a Comment