Saturday, February 29, 2020

Venting


Paranormal romance is not Superhero Prose. Fuck that genre. Take a two by four and beat it into the dirt. This is how you get readers to hate books. The romance I listed on the other genre database, I found those before amazon's shit got so shreked that it was much easier to find clear Delineations between what the Primary Was Vs Sub Genre attached to it.


Fuck all the Fantasy Knock Offs that litter my quest to find Capes, Fuck all the LIT RPG books that infest this tag, fuck all the Urban Fantasy akin to Dresden that mis-file here. FUCK ALL OF YOU. This whale reader is fed up to all ends of the Earth now. Even putting in words that should give me awesome cape stories, ends up with AD: PARANORMAL ROMANCE THAT DOESN'T FUCKING BELONG HERE.

I don't want to hate books but this is what the Search Pile of FUCKALL has done.

When people think Superhero Prose, the same selections always come up first, Secret Wars, Wild Cards, Meyer's books, Sandersons, Ex-Heroes/Zombie combo. None of the others even make a fracking dent because of all this on amazon's site. There's 100s of cape books buried. Maybe even close to 1000. But most of their writers gave up. One and done.

Ill still add to my database: even if the superbook in question is more gritty or even has bs political shit I am trying to escape because at least its a cape book. I'll edit it to put a symbol next to my favorites later.


Feels like there was a slight boom in 2012-2016 for cape book projects but then it dried up. I'm thinking so many newer writers want to get that King money or JK money but stuff like that wont happen anymore. Not to that degree. Esp. with how people abuse Amazon's bot. Or rather, just like college professors, old style trad pub JK/Sanderson/King stuff is already locked in. They are in the cultural lighthouse of sorts. Love them or hate them, they have that pie and can live off it the rest of their lives if they are smart about it.

Sanderson has a teaching job, if his vids are any indication, so even he has a another job besides writing.

But the rest of us? We gotta keep our day jobs until either A: it becomes viable to write full time and still maintain a STABLE income or B: you end up eventually getting to that 6 figure tier but then you gotta maintain it.

Indie is a decent way to get midlist if you have the will for it.

A List:

  • Even if your genre isnt super popular: Finish your series. Please. Even if you only have one reader or 1000s. 
  • Network stuff together more. Even on dead sites like GoodReads or Facebook. Cause someone, somewhere, will link in somehow. Maybe its time to make a forum for Superhero Prose or something. 
  • Trust me, once you have that reader, we stay with you for life. Cause we be reading Seagulls like that.
Even trad pub Superhero Prose is getting buried and they have more money to invest in that initial push too. Holy shit.  Since this sub genre is already under the auspices of "Damn, that mummy is buried deep" its why Ill do my best to find anything. Even if its much more Marvel inspired. IE: Grit/"Realism"/Even if the Writer goes to Marvel Civil War town in their book. IE Too Close to Current Year, because at this point....the market is already fracked.

Oh and the ones I endorsed with (FL Woman Happy) on the super genre data base, I've either read all the books that are out for them or I've gotten at least 2-4 books under my belt. I just want more on the buffet. Escapism, pure and simple.

Its why my series wont have the UN or an Earth mired in any of our political issues. Red or Blue. An actual Alternate Earth, where I can concentrate on making people boo hiss at comic book inspired situations, make people cheer for the heroes. Sure, its a simple goal but if I am not entertaining myself, how can I expect to entertain readers.

Heck, WW1 and 2 get instigated by Rogue Factions within Atlantis and the Grays. Its not to belittle these events but put a whole gold/silver age comic book tropes along history. Wait til you see what happens with A51 and even Roswell. XD

Thing is, while some indies are able to get to a higher tier through bot abuse, it doesnt make it any better for readers. Sure, you will have your fanbase that eats everything up because to them its just another pre-made burger, but some of us want more then just that on the table. It is going to crash, maybe not now or in a year or two, but the E-Book Crash is coming. There arent enough whale readers like myself to support everyone. Esp the ones abusing stuff. Whales can only eat so much before they barf it all back up. Then teeter away from the table like a drunk.

To but it more blunt: There's only so much of me that can go around. Like butter scraped too thin. If I go too far and wide, Ill loose connection with series I enjoy. So with all thats happening, readers and writers are already at a disadvantage. How to build a base when that base is flooded in over-saturation and cant find what they FUCKING want.

Again, sorry for the cursing. Time to go make some pasta and meatballs. Because I am hungry woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment