Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Covers and Reactions: Ep. 2

In this instance, what knocks me away from a book or two examples, then we can get to the fun stuff.






Lizard Brain Reaction: Why should I care about her or her special needs son. Don't know these characters, so why should I give a fuck. ID qualifiers of "Strong Female Character." So basically trying to sell this on labels.

The Cover: Meh. How is having a special needs son related to kicking dragon ass? Colors are muted and don't really pop out at me.

Sidenote: At least its number one seller in ROMANCE FANTASY category. So they put it were it should go.







 
Lizard Brain: This gives me flashbacks to YA ROMANCE Drivel. Sizzling romance? With what? The whole male cast? All of them super special in some INEXPLICABLE way? Time to click away from this 800 page misadventure. Wherein 1 star reviews tell me all I need to know about this thing:



The Cover: Too much Red, not enough Gold. Where's my eye supposed to go first?

Looks like exposition dumps are frontloaded into this one.


Plus the description gives me the feeling of "She's a SPECHUL girl. Bestest evah!" Oh boy. Now to some good eye popping books. PS: It looks like she might have Gone LK Hamilton. Some of the old fans are quite put off by this book.



Lizard Brain: PULPY SCI FI! Good Color Contrast with the black/purple/blue.

Then the blurb:

Gives me a sense of golden age sci fi meets pulpy horror/comedy. Not all blurbs have to be very on the nose about plot. Sometimes depending on the flavor of book or genre, highlighting the absurd works just as well. :D

Link: Here










It's why when I do get ready for launch, gonna look through lots of those superhero prose blurbs to see what catches my eye about covers, description, ect along with my favorite space operas. I gotta make sure I can invoke the feeling I want.





Ahh, this screams Mil Sci Fi. Ship to Ship combat. The works. Noice.

Lizard Brain Says: The Blurb makes it even more apparent it will have early honor harrington type shenanigans. YES GOOOOD! Plus the Word Font helps with the overall "Yes, this is the military type book you are looking for."

I've noticed if something is more classic mil sci fi, they will go over the fighting spirit of the protag or the crew they have to whip up into shape. Just my observation.






Link Because I loves this series as much as Galaxy Ascendant, Harrington, In Fury Born and The Empire's Corps.




In Fury Born: Here

Hmmm. I know: LOOOK AT THIIIIIIIIIIIS! IT screams Superhero Prose Awesome!




Lizard Brain: YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS. There's no mistaking this for Paranormal Romance Pretending to be Superhero setting b/c of Shifters or other stupid shit. The color palate makes you eyeball the characters on the cover. They look distinguished from each other.  

Heroes Unleashed: Here

The Blurb: 

Gone Gone the Form of Man.....ok, but its still gives off the same vibe people. Superhero enthusiasts will gobble this blurb up:

Love the Magic Side of Justice League: Here's your new addiction.



WHAT THE HELL IS THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Lizard Brain: Is dis space horror on crack? Yus, yes it is. Just on that ship design you know something is frackin up in this setting. The color palate makes you notice the ship first then the gold/orange behind it draws you in further.

Link: Here

Blurb: 

A tireless enemy and spooky things happening. Oh myyyyyyyyyy!


These are all gut reactions to covers and blurbs. Some might have different reactions based on favorite tropes or genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment