Thursday, March 5, 2020

Into the Deep: Ep. 1 "One Last Echo."

One Last Echo





Chapters 1-5: This World Needs Capes

Following my own advice, I broke up these reviews so I wouldn't overdo things with walls of text. So Ill be Updating these Via Links. On to the show.


The Opening: In hindsight, even if it wasn't apparent: The Cloud Atlas movie did something similar. Protag retelling things to their children or grandchildren. Makes you wonder how the "World" ended. I promise, even with this opening this book has much more lighter moments too. And hi-jinks you'd expect from gold or silver age stuff. Along with some tropes of more modern comic eras. What I am saying, most superhero prose incorporates a fair amount of various eras. But then does their own thing.

My own reader bias is seeing more Hope and Various level of Cornball. But that's just my own preferences. Many readers out there really dig into the anti-hero or villain pov trope. It's whats in style right now.




Chapter 1: The Fall Guys and a Certain Kind of Cameo Reference.

Most times, you add little mysteries in each chapter. Something to keep the reader going. Who is that lady and why does she need these common thugs for something. Hmmmmmm. Yes, my reader brain was interested enough to keep turning.






That's what was in my head when this figure appeared. 

The Lady in Yellow. 

A way to set expectations without derailing the overall narrative. Or at the very least you get a, "OH! I know that reference moment." But the writer isn't outright saying  "Kill Bill." It's very blatant but very tongue and cheek as well. It's a way to use pop culture without throwing the reader out of the book. In my opinion.


A big element of this cast setup: You have the daughter of supers. Who, wrapped in protective layers, wants to strike out on her own. Emily and friends, considering this setting, will play a bigger part later. Because I knows my comic book tropes. Which is part of the fun for me.



So that's a pretty standard goal: To prove one's self. That's alright, a good way to keep a reader engaged is easily identifiable goals. Esp considering Penelope's own situation. Doesn't have one iota of super ability displayed by her parents. So like any silver age scenario, they didn't want their kid used as hostage girl basically. So that gives an personal element between parents and child for tension. 


  • Biggest fun for me:OMG BOTH PARENTS ARE ALIVE! Holy shit. In the sea of super prose, there are many many Uncle Bens or Pa Kents with heart attacks. Or Missing Mom, Died Years Earlier or Mom isnt here because she's an Alien Princess who cannot see her children right now. SO this was fun to see for me personally.
  • Yes, the Aquaman movie pulled that one with his mom, 20 years trapped. But it does have them both alive....so that still qualifies as both parents still together. Cause the Dad never found anyone else. But I prefer seeing old school, oh wow! The protag has family to fall back on. Even if the situation has complications.
Chapter 2: Lady Killer (I loves me some puns. :P)

Ahh yes, the Parents. They mean well. I like to think most parents really do. So mom is like: My kid needs a super powered mate, yes! That will fix everything!

So it sets up some sympathy on the end of both the protag and her Parents. This whole part made me laugh because my own parents had variations of conversations like this with me.


In my case it went like this:

Grandma: Are you eating enough?
Mom: Loose more weight dear.
Dad: I am not commenting on this. I will loose.

This is a very girl thing to do. Believe me. On one hand, yes! Parents do their best to make their kid independent but on the other: That's my baby. Oh boy. Yes, even my Superman had these moments with his parents. The Earth ones that is. But sons vs daughters are approached very different.

Chapter 3: College is Useless and Professors Even Moreso.

There's a specific part that hit close to home to remind me of my own college experience:


AH! Navel Gazing Professors? AT my University?! Its more likely then you think! 

If I could list one super power they had: Their Farts were far more important than everyone else. Oh man, this was especially true in what most would term general education or the Humanities. But back to the book. Dude has a meltdown.

Over what he considers Frivolous. Yep, this is college. On point. But this is a way to poke fun at culture without being heavy handed. He's the anti-Edna Mode basically.


So our Heroine basically writes this off as: WTH is wrong with people. Cause she was raised in a very secure controlled environment in her younger years. So its a big shock to her.

So she reaches a type of crisis point. What is worth saving in this world. Why do her parents even bother? For me, when it comes to comics and other mediums, I always have a glass is half full kinda outlook. So I like seeing that displayed in books I read.

Esp. since dystopia is on the rise. I don't mind those settings but again, I want more to choose from but back to the business at hand. She's hitting a wall at the moment but what kicks her out of this mode of thought: Akin to Superman, even if there's one good soul to save, that makes the world a better place, worth fighting for.

Which reminds me of this:


Again, if a book can remind me of Babylon 5 in some way, shape or form, its on golden ground for me. HA!

Chapter 4: The Blond Returns!



Well in this part you learn why she likes yellow. Plus in a very roundabout way: Women can be very very explosive at one another. In other words....thar be Plot Bunnies here. Look at them bounce around without a care in the world....it stings. Them bunnies.

  • Endless Corny Puns from this Reviewer! It's Delicious. 
Coffee shop vs Everyone:
Protagonist: OH NO! CANT HAVE PROPERTY DAMAGE!
The Street: Awww shit, not again.




Phone Home to family that wont put you under Superhero Level Protection.

IE: Ahh yes, A mix of Alfred and The Bulleteer for a family friend!

Sidenote: More delicious world building with the Uncle Character. Ahhh yeah, the classic tropes are in full swing.



In Wall-lee you trust. I couldnt help it, puns by the bucket load:



Chapt 5: The PLOT BUNNY COMMETH! So now our plucky Crew has a Beginning Antagonist's Gallery. 

That American Feeling!


Getting in to the Foundation of Superhero History. Its easy to do without bringing up things that break people out of the expected setting. A true feeling of escapism. Plus you get the sense of "AH! So that's the cape our tinkering friend might wear or come into." Emily that is. Noice.

As a reader to writers: You don't have to break the wheels that came before. Make your own world. Add your 2cents and the rest will still carry on down the road. Readers love these roads and will continue on them for a while yet.

I got a good sense for the characters personalities. And their villain. Very on Point name for her. Heh. Sometimes the most apparent things will work. Buzz buzz!

Some Additional Thoughts:

Walton also Invoked this Part to Me:


Like the Doc, he did something similar in WW2 that Franklin did during the Earth-Minbari War.

Hell, even the other two stood by him like Sheridan and Ivanova would.


These are characters. To cheer on for.

After work Ill reformat the other two reviews and start putting up their links/entries as well. To make this easier for people on phones, Part 2 will have Chapt 6-10 ect.

  • Part 2: Here
  • Part 3: (Link PH)
  • Part 4: (Link PH)

No comments:

Post a Comment