Friday, May 29, 2020

Good Vs Evil




How the popularization of "relatable" ended up being something that makes simple good vs evil harder to find.





I edited out names b/c that's not relevant.

Plus I don't want to worry about people rather then the popular ideas that are prevalent in mediums.

I am mostly doing this to come to the terms that what I ultimately want is, very bluntly, not that popular. (Esp in an entertainment sense)

  • To me, Batman is boring because stuff like him is everywhere. Constantly. A broken mirror hero. Or Street Level, "Darker side of our Nature vs Outward Mask."
  • I liked the Earth 2 version more. The one where he had a kid with Catwoman. It mellowed him out in some ways. But then again, that was bronze age if I remember correctly.  The closer to modern we get, the more gritty DC comics becomes. Marvel Lite basically. Snyder infused everything. 
  • I want regression to black vs white morality. I want bright colors. I want optimism.

People, overall, find things more relatable the more flaws a character has. If you have read enough of my blog, you know I am burnt out on that.

Its why I replied to the poll by retweeting it to my TL so it doesn't flood his. So he can see the comments of people that find this choice more compelling easier to find.

Lots love this b/c they do find it interesting:




A fatal flaw in the protagonist. Most people find this easy to enjoy. I don't. I tried but I found myself tuning out. More grit type characters, I usually only like them when they are in a team book because you can see the compare/contrast. IE: Superman and Batman in JL. I don't read much batman on his own. His brooding exterior, the villains, the gray morality, it doesn't pull me in like it does for other people.

The Vegetas of the World don't interest me unless their far less popular Flat Arc character (Goku) is in attendance with them. If I had to guess, the things I love are starving, so while I might be in the minority with most things, Ill stay the course an complete my series here on the blog. Saving up for the day for when it needs good covers/edits for its premiere on Amazon.

I'm so freaking old fashioned when it comes to my entertainment. I don't want relatable, I want aspirational characters, I don't want super realistic. Or even ground level slice of life. I want Vast Galaxies, epic space battles. Uplifted Animals.

  • Rayguns on full blast.
  • Legit happy endings. (Not bittersweet "earn your happy ending.") Actual happy ending. Cause so much fiction is so miserable nowadays.
If a complete conversion of a villain to hero arc happens, I might give it a looksee ala MegaMind. Not a partial turned villain to anti-hero.

Its easy to find:

  • Watchmen Knockoffs
  • GoT Knockoffs
  • Black Company Knockoffs
  • Batman Knockoffs
  • DCeased Type stuff
  • Injustice "Hero is the Villain" setups.
  • The Boys
  • The Endless Examples of Gray Morality is King.
My greatest hope is that the Uplift Protocol is filling a hole that some have also been missing. I think that's why I loved B5. Lots of good guys stayed good. The lines were pretty clear. Even the Earth Civil War showcased clear lines of good vs evil. Good people with shitty choices. Like Lochley. Others in the Officer corps.

"Either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

That whole quote is the popular thing in entertainment nowadays. Its why I will try my best to keep going forward. Even if what I want is minimally popular compared to Dead IPs living on borrowed time. 

I just want to find more things that cater to my own personal preferences. Even if its a hail mary throw in terms of overall popularity.  

Hell, its why I hang onto Heroes Unleashed and stuff Like Astro City/New Olympus so hard. Reconstruction is much more rare right now. 

I developed into a iconic purist/extremist because there's so much MORAL gray stuff everywhere. I want more on the table then "Relatable Gray Morality" characters with big flaws. Guess I should really say: I love the campy 60s batman show. I'd rather see that sort of batman rather then the modern version. 

TL;DL: I don't relate to what popular culture says is the "standard". So I think I'll mostly stick to things made before 1990, comic book wise.


Speaking of Projects: TALLY HO!















No comments:

Post a Comment