Monday, June 8, 2020

Different Kinds of Narrative Tension

More insights, like so:


This man, bless him, no wonder I love his books. He feeds me the kind of character narrative tension I want: The characters believe they are in danger, but me the reader, is invested in how they will succeed rather then: GoT type "They can all die" scenario. Most readers will probably fall into that camp, they need the narrative to have tension through "mortality/they can all be on the block" aspect. This guy explains it all perfectly!

Even while I am reading, this sort of thing gives me a good idea of what repels or attracts me.What do readers want out of your story? What does the writer want out of their story? All of this can be a bit of a tangle. Its why I go along writing things as much as I can. Because in the end, I want to help other writers and readers find what they are looking for in a book or a series. Again, this whole thread: Thank you Mr. Spoor.

Readers react differently to separate kinds of tension.

Depending on the genre or what the overall tone is, some find GoT just fine.

Invincible almost did it for me but it still felt too gritty in some places for a more traditional Superhero with Space Opera story that I wanted a perfect bullseye on. (So that also drives me to complete the Uplift Protocol. Since I am its Arbiter of Fate, Ill put within it in the themes, arcs, endings that I crave)

I just didnt have the frame for it.

In Mil Sci Fi there is a higher chance of characters dying but I notice that most of them I follow, series wise, give the real principle players a certain kind of narrative shield. Like in Harrington: A good portion of them make it to the end. Not all, but many of the primary "good guys" within many factions make it to near end of the series.

Space Opera: I def. gear towards the whole "I want the principle good guys, no matter the faction, to get to the end and have a positive ending." Mainly because even though I enjoyed Dune and Black Company, In recent years I've been yearning for much more Uplifting stuff. It doesn't mean Ill quit more gritty type stuff, it just means I want to feed my Optimism Side More.

I guess I crave certain things because "popular" trends have been going in the complete opposite of what I need at the moment.

Its a good idea to follow genre writers of many flavors. That way you can pin point what you want as a writer and a reader.


I personally dont need to see characters put through the ringer as it were. I get more invested seeing how they manage to "win" or "escape" or "overcome an obstacle." But by talking with other writers, who also enjoy reading many things, we all want tension in some way. But the flavor of it is different.


Granted, twitter has its issues but one can always find a silver lining.


No comments:

Post a Comment