Saturday, June 6, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: Issue 15


Issue 15: Some Assembly Required


After careful consideration of the incident at the Mall of America, with the blessings of IRIS and the project directors of Osiris and Barracuda, the Star-Spangled Banner will be granted a preliminary rank in the Terran Alliance military. She will have no official jurisdiction. But at least this way we can have her and her team on the payroll. I have a feeling we will be needing their services in the upcoming months. The Golden Bulleteer has agreed to mentor Star’s team. I have also requested that General Murphy bring Star in on a preliminary basis to some aspects of Project Osiris. The fact that she can survive in space will be an asset. –Fredrick Marshall, From the Desk of the President.

While the President is aware of many aspects of Project Osiris, there are key gaps with his knowledge vs mine. I know just the type of jobs I can give Star without having her memory scrambled. Plus I am cashing in on all my fatherly goodwill. I know there’s a burning curiosity within her but she knows the value of information control. –From the Private Journal Entries of Thomas Murphy.

How to describe my 2nd visit to Area 51? Not as distressing as the first. From what certain parties tell me, my mother was running things behind the curtain at that time. To make sure I didn’t have more memory flash action. While I was stuck within the Human Side of the Complex, that didn’t stop some oddities from happening. It wouldn’t be until many years later when I was finally officially a part of NASA's FTL program, that the ball would finally start to roll. In a way, those lazy, in comparison, high school years are still remembered fondly. At least I got to chase more Bardaxians around the facility. -Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Area 51, Entry Point Alpha
Earth (US Facility, Groom Lake)
October 15th, 2092

The gate master approached us. His cloaking array muddled his appearance but I paid that no mind. Area 51. Even the INet mods would never believe me. Beside me, the Puzzler, Doctor Impossible, and Horus waited for the agent to give us primary level access. My eyes twitched with the insatiable curiosity to scan the place. But Horus stopped me, ((Captain! This place is specifically shielded!))
I stuck my tongue out.
“That’s no fun but I can see why. I wouldn’t be the only demi with special sight either.”
Puzzler grinned at Horus, “Well, what about me? I bet I'll have a blindfold on. Hey Star! Think Ill meet any pretty alien ladies?”
Doctor Impossible rolled her eyes heavenward. “Give me strength.”
I gave him a somewhat thoughtful look, “Who knows! Maybe there’s a princess for you. Just like in the holovids!” Lorain bit her lip to hold some of the laughter in. She sighed, “Knowing you two? With how our luck works there will be a diplomatic incident! I mean, considering the mall and all.”
The gate guard waved us onward. The plain white walls of Area 51 beckoned. 

Area 51, Main Meeting Wing
Earth (US Facility, Groom Lake)
October 15th, 2092

Inside the walls were a grey or tan color with blue plastic chairs. One long wooden table for basic readers or translation devices. Well considering the layers of testing that went on here, it was no wonder they didn’t let people in on much. At this juncture, I’d rather not know. Considering some demis had mental abilities that could make for a very bad day for a place like this. The doors opened and the Emerald K-9 waltzed in. His happy barking filling the whole area as he went. We had all decided Cooper needed a Demi name as well. He collected names like it was some sort of contest.
<<The General is coming! He has a surprise for us!>>
I had to admit, this part excited me the most.
*****
J’ino stood in the corner. Nothing would happen this time. She was adamant about that part. More energetic barking resounded down the hall as the entire pack of Area 51’s security unit entered the room. Star scooped them all up in one go.
“Hows the best force in the universe doing?”
Various greetings were exchanged. After a few minutes, Star put them all down. Except for the Basset Hound. “Hey, Doc! There’s something up with his left paw.” J’ino brought up her helm’s scanners. Ahh, the old boy was starting to get arthritis. She could see the energy flow from Doc into his paw. He gave Impossible a gentle whine.
<<Many thanks to the young one. Even at my age, I don’t always remember to take my enhancers.>> His mind voice was laced with many years of experience. Craggy and kind. Doctor Impossible gave his right paw a tiny shake.
“Well considering how adorable all of you are, I don’t mind. There’s an advantage to all this: We might be able to give even longer life to our dogs.” The Puzzler gave Star a thumbs up as General Murphy entered. She could feel the genuine warmth of her husband’s mind glow. J’ino gave him a slight mental nudge to let him know she was present. His voice echoed along the ring:
<<My dear, I promise, I won't let Eliza do something rash. I can tell she’s practically going into orbit now. We won't have birthday oops part two.>>
*****
I gave the Basset a final rub behind the ears and set him down. My father was talking with the Puzzler. Ever so often Eddie’s head would turn to look around, fixated on one corner in particular. I surreptitiously did the same. Mr. Apple was standing next to someone in silver, white, and black armor. Complete with a blue and silver sash. He wagged his finger at me. The pressure along my spine grew. Not in pain but in a genuine warning. I gave Eddie a poke in the midsection. “Let’s get this show on the road shall we?”
For this adventure, we’d get to travel to level 4. It was labeled: Intelligence Hub. The simple map along the sidewall listed the other levels.
Floor 1: Main Offices and Administration
Floor 2: Research and Testing
Floor 3: Docking Bay
Floor 5: Muthra Level (Restricted)
The elevators were situated in the middle of each level. As we entered the main foyer: My mind came to a screeching halt as I looked upon the giant glowing sphere taking up half the display area on Floor 1. “D-- General, what the heck is that! Can I touch it? Please say I can.” I drifted closer to it. Floating at eye level with it. A green stabilization field surrounded me, pulling me back to the ground, while the other Bardiaxians were barking at me in a warning. Not in a hostile fashion but more in astonishment. 

*****

If Ummatosh Birds could sing she’d be listening to a full score opera right now. That made 4 humans who could perceive the Sphere now. The US president, her husband, the NASA director, and now her daughter. Of course. Made perfect sense that something else here would draw her in like a child in a candy store. It was too early though. She gave her daughter a jolt with the ring. Star’s head whipped around for a moment then she chuckled softly, “Ok, I’ll leave that present for later then.” Thomas gave a small sigh of relief. His eyes were shining with a sense of pride though. His baby girl knew something was up. It would not only help her but humanity’s goals with uplift. Doctor Impossible tugged on Star’s cape for a moment,
“What do you see? I see a raised dais but nothing more than that.”

*****

I gaped at Doc. “Really? It's huge! Multifaceted and housing all sorts of lights that change constantly. Huh, maybe it's in tune with my eyes or something.” Doc pulled on my cape, leading all of us to the elevators. “We can play with all the weird tech later you giant brick!” She always loved to point out the obvious to me.  I grinned at her. “I most certainly will!” My father gave me a stern glance. I added, “When I have proper clearance! “ A sudden burst of amusement hit from the ivory ring mom gave me. Mr. Apple put a finger to his lips again. My mind flashed back to all the more odd instances of Mother’s behavior. He tipped his hat at me. Rapping me on the head a few times with his walking cane. I got the hint. Keep stuff on the down-low so mom doesn’t get in trouble with her bosses. 

The elevator doors opened with a mellow bing. We exited and Arthon was awaiting us at the center of the room. The Puzzler exclaimed, “Well isn’t that a rather dark suit you got there. So what’s your code name supposed to be? The Shadow?” Arthon snorted, “No, I am the Light-Bearer.” 

Doctor Impossible eyed his suit critically. “Wouldn’t Black Hole be more appropriate?,” Arthon muttered something then the whole room lit up in a regular rainbow of color. Everyone shielded their eyes. My eyes were immune to whatever effects Arthon was channeling. I could see a vast array of lights emanating from the suit. Each giving off a different vibration as well. It sounded like a symphony. Various threads running through everything to create a sort of magic. That was the best way I could even describe it all. He uttered a sharp guttural sound and the lights twinked out.
Everyone rubbed their eyes. Arthon stared directly at me. Gave me that salute once more. I rubbed the back of my neck.
“So what’s the mission then?”
*****
Thoth eyed the library with some distaste. All the information within this place was covered in Atlantian propaganda. But he had his marching orders from Chronos. There was a piece that could lead them to the key in here. His reflection was that of an ordinary citizen. Plain clothing. Nothing to draw an eye to him. Beside him, Medusa, Snake Charmer, and Madame Mayhem were completing final preparations for the heist. Their agent inside the FBI indicated that most of the Legion were elsewhere today, so nuisances like the Mavericks were otherwise preoccupied.
“Find the manuscript. How quaint.”
While this seemed straightforward enough, Thoth imagined that the Muthra would attempt a hide in plain sight strategy. He pulled out one of the silver disks Brookes had given him. Its outer edges were lined with Keeper symbols. To him, they were just a jumble of lines. He pocked the device. She hadn’t gone into much detail: only that this disk would vibrate as they got closer to their goal.
Medusa took his arm. “Shall we go my king?”
“Of course my dear. We can’t keep our allies waiting.” 

*****

“So he’s after some sort of manuscript? What’s encoded on it?”
Doctor Impossible posed this question to Arthon. The Atlantian brought his hands up, an image shimmered to life in front of us, in the shape of a starship of some sort.
“This is called the Light of Emris. Thoth cannot be allowed to find the information coded within this manuscript. It would give him access to locate this vessel. Granted we have false leads littered throughout the library but this will only work for so long. We have to get there first.” He brought us down one more level. A bright corridor of light pointed us down the hallway. At the very end was a crystal clear pool. With various statues and other oddities but before I could examine anything closer he shoved everyone through.  
The water felt like air. A great flash blinded everyone.

New Ashbury, Historic South District
Library of Antiquity (Texas)
October 15th, 2092

I blinked rapidly.
The world slowly came into focus.
All around us, various bookcases were lined with old leather-bound books and other artifacts. I brought my hands up in astonishment. They were old and wrinkled. Arthon’s voice echoed within our heads:
<<Fan out, find the manuscript. I added a special frequency to your coms. It will let you know as you close in on the right piece.>>
Doc and I took the East Wing. While the others broke off and canvassed other areas. Emerald went with the Puzzler, while Horus paired with Light-Bearer. My heart was thudding wildly in my chest. Mr. Apple waved excitedly to me, pointing at various relics on a table in the corner of the Eastern displays. I dragged Doc with me. “I think I feel something already.” She squeezed my hand and we set off. As we got closer, Mr. Apple pointed his walking stick at a simple red leather book. I picked it up and thumbed through it.
The Legends of the Library of Alexandria.
 At the very back, something that looked like a thin black bookmark caught on my outstretched fingers. My ever-present incorporeal friend gently laid a hand on it. A quick buzz from my coms let me know this is what we needed.
Time seemed to freeze for just a moment. He plunged his hands into my chest, bringing out some sort of golden disk, laying the black slip upon it, then pushing it all inside me once more.
Keep it safe. Keep it hidden. This is the true marker. We must lay a trap of our own for Thoth.
Mr. Apple brought out another black slip. It felt similar to the real one. But the markings were much different. Not as old. He handed it to me. I put it back into the book. Exactly as I found the other one. Doc just looked at me with some confusion. I whispered to her, “Trust me.” She gave me a worried glance but acquiesced. Arthon commed us once more, <<Thoth is here.>>
I sent a message out: //Understood, don’t fight in the library. Let’s see if we can catch him unawares.//
Lorain and I pretended to wander off, looking at other artifacts and books. Another one caught my notice:
A silver sailing ship. The message underneath said: The Wall of Life Endures.
Some of the lettering on the side of the hull began to warp. Colors dancing along the surface. Then Doc hissed sharply in my ear. I positioned myself like I was turning, “Oh look at this? Isn't it grand?” I gripped her hand like I was an old grandma out on a stroll. A tall, somewhat plain man was pocketing the replacement strip. I zeroed in on his heartbeat. Linking everyone into the coms. //Thoth or one of his men acquired. Let's go!//

*****

Snake Charmer met up with the others on the corner. He slipped the artifact to Thoth. As one they all headed towards the park and the gateway that remained there. As they neared the portal, a voice called out, “Throne-Breaker!” Muthra symbology sprang forth, encasing them all in what felt like molasses. Purple lighting erupted from Thoth, cascading out to strike Light-Bearer, he grunted in pain as he crashed to the earth. The Star-Spangled Banner flew at the Atlantian traitor, ramming into his midsection, sending both of them sprawling. Mr. Apple crouched next to her. 

This will hurt but you must let him do it. He must escape with the false item. Even the Muthra are compromised.

*****

I saw the silver disks before Light-Bearer did.
I shoved him out of the way as they morphed in front of me, encasing half my body. Mostly along the arms and chest. A flair of red light erupted. I bellowed in pain as the golden snake woman chortled with glee. Normally I’d shrug off such a thing but these burned. They cut down to my very bones. I could hear the crackle of energy discharges as The Puzzler fired at our adversaries. Yelling the sorts of words that would make his mother blush. The Emerald K-9 summoned energy constructs in an attempt to cut of Thoth’s escape. They bull-rushed the portal then dissipated as it closed off with a final whoosh of air. Something was burning. Doctor Impossible was tearing at my suit. Her eyes were grim. 

Every movement hurt. I could feel hands on either side of me. I bit down on whatever was in my mouth. Tears ran down my face. I didn’t care. I just wanted it to stop. What was in those things? Is this what dying felt like? The only thing I could picture was my mother and father as everything else faded into white noise.
At least I had protected my team.

New Ashbury, Medical Wing
Legion of Tomorrow HQ (Texas)
October 17th, 2092

The Golden Bulleteer paced back and forth. Giving his family updates on the Banner’s condition. If that Light-Bearer fellow had been around, the elder Murphy would have been tempted to give him a proper dressing down. All he cared about was whatever information was lost. If he had been hit by those disks, he would have been dead, while they had very nearly sunk into the Banner’s bones. Eliza’s unique physiology allowed for some instant regenerative properties but those devices had been laced with primal magical energies. Sir Avalon had examined the shrapnel for himself. After 3 surgeries they had removed all the foreign material. Thank god Doctor Impossible had been there. Her ability had kept Eliza’s heart from flat-lining 4 times.

Muthra Sector
Atlantis
October 18th, 2092

Arthon raged. He kept punching the construct before him, trying to figure out how or why Murphy had let Thoth slip through her fingers. Prime Demi? More like useless! His eyes narrowed. Beads of sweat trickled down his back. Now the traitor king had the key to finding the Light of Emris! That was a situation just as bad as if he had managed to get the keycodes for Atlan. Not only that but the Typherian Ambassador had the gall to call him irresponsible. Thing is if this Banner lady was so powerful, why did mere magic hurt her so? He kept at it until his father, Null, tapped him on the shoulder. The young muthra turned and his blood ran cold. Null’s face was impassive. His eyes were burning. He dismissed the construct with a wave of his hand.

“Son, you must win back your honor. Follow me, the Lady awaits.”
Arthon’s back stiffened. That wasn’t good at all.

*****
Lady Sul-Sandra checked the status on the Emris once more. It glowed a healthy green.
All systems nominal. 

Somehow the Banner knew.  Had some idea beyond the memory shrouds. The Slumbering One protected them all. Even at the expense of her mind and body.  The old Markav settled deeper into the command chair. Steepled her fingers under her chin. 

There was a leak among her Muthra. Not from Nuul and his family but somewhere. Maybe even conditioned. There were too many unknown factors at this point. But who was directing the Banner? Her mother wouldn’t be allowed to. Uplift forbid it. So what else was in play? She sent a short burst transmission to J’ino:
//I enhanced her suit further. In repayment for her sacrifice. Be well.//
She swiveled in the chair as both of her Muthra approached.
“Ahh, good. Arthon. What is the first rule?”
He gulped, “To protect all life.”
“And?”
He lowered his gaze. Then straightened his shoulders. Bringing his blue gaze to her face once more, “To Honor all defenders of Life.”
She considered the young man before her, “You will remain on the Banner’s team. She has a great love for life but for all her power, she lacks something vital, something you can provide”.
A pause.
“You dear Arthon, are a sword. Where she is a shield. Both must work together to properly defend a planet. A universe….or a multiverse.”
He bowed. His face burning with shame. He should have noted this sooner. Even Doctor Impossible had more of an overall edge then Star did. That’s why they balanced one another. He must do the same. Cooper was a Shield too. As far as Eddie went, he tended to act on the offensive but unlike the others, one could say he was more akin to a dagger. To harass the enemy.
“I will fulfill my duties, Lady. This I swear!”

New Ashbury, Medical Wing
Legion of Tomorrow HQ (Texas)
October 19th, 2092

My eyes snapped open.
I  tried to sit up but a weight on my chest prevented me. Cooper’s black ears flickered. Two milk chocolate eyes lock on. His sharp barks were tinged with happiness. That startled the two figures sleeping in the corner next to the med pod. Mom very nearly knocked the nightstand over to get to me. Her eyes are bloodshot. My father grabbed my other hand. “Heya kiddo, feeling better?” Lorain placed a palm over my heart. Golden light flooded over me. “She’s almost there. You had everyone worried you know!” Her tone indicated anger but her aura said relief.
I mustered a weak smile.
I tried to speak but my throat was dry. I eased myself up in the bed. Mom handed me a water bottle. I chugged the thing down like it’s the best thing since forever. I gave my surroundings an even better inspection. Various displays and monitors are humming all around me. Pods separated by privacy shields. Soothing music over the intercom. The aroma of incense and various levels of bland food?
Yup. It’s the Legion of Tomorrow’s Medical hub. We meet again. I sincerely hope I won’t make a habit of this. It gave everyone palpitations. “Ma, you ok?” She pulled me into a hug, laying her head on my shoulder.
“Eliza, my silly space cadet.” She ruffled my hair. I dabbed away her tear with my thumb. I held mom closer as a traitorous sniffle escaped. A big part of me just wanted to wrap her up in a blanket and never let go again. Murphy women don’t cry, they release tension, so sayeth the wisest of Grandpas, Abraham Murphy.
After a moment of collecting herself: “There are things we must talk about but it has to wait a bit longer. I promise we will discuss all this. For now, let’s just get cleaned up and go somewhere pleasant. How about that new restaurant, Big Bills? I hear they have nice chili fries.” Her voice sounded almost normal again.
Dad throws in his 2 cents. Because it makes the best sense.
“I have it on good authority that two very anxious Murphy grandparents want to join in. So let’s go de-con a bit more and then dinner. I’m paying.” Dad can get quite cantankerous especially when he realized Lorain and her mother try to wiggle out of it. The polite excuses wither and die under his steely regard. His foot came down with a very quiet thump. General Murphy usually never yelled unless it's in my direction. For his men and women in his command, the quieter he is, the more he meant it. The more he will fight for them and through them. To see men and mission homeward.
A leader will always put his men first. Get them back alive. That’s one lesson he kept emphasizing to me.
“That’s not a request Cmd. Lanis. Invite your husband also. Multi-level family night for everyone.” My dad’s tone brooked no arguments. It's sealed and finalized with the force of a General. The line that won’t be broken. Hearts and minds. That’s always the battle, isn’t it? No matter the title. The work will continue. I promise to live up to that.
I will shield everything I care about. No matter the cost.
Mr. Apple appeared in the doorway.
Good.

Camp Osiris, Murphy Household
USA (Texas)
October 21st, 2092

Arthon’s emotional signals looked like a mix of lemonade and guilt. Since we didn’t have an official bunker or meeting place, for now, my house was probably the safest place we could set up anything official.  After we sat around the dining room table I opened with, “Well even if things didn’t go quite our way with the information retrieval, we still need a name.”
Cooper perked up at that, his tail was a whirlwind, <<THE GOLDEN RETRIEVERS!>>
Arthon chipped in with, “The Custodians?”
Doc and Eddie were deep in thought.
A message flickered across my nano-screen: //The Redeemers?//
I kept my eyes on the display. Holy cow. One of the Iron Wall wanted to add in on naming my team? I clicked on his HeroNet account: The Commissar!
Yes, the exclamation point was a requirement.
“How about a compromise? The Golden Redeemers. One of the Iron Wall added in his vote.” Eddie did a double-take at that, “AWESOME! That means we are on the radar! Even as total recruits!” From the mailroom, another package thumped on the flood. Cooper grabbed it, forming a forklift under it and brought it to the main room. I saw from the package that it was another delivery from The Mysterious Lady. Eddie and Doc proceeded to unpack it.
He whistled with some appreciation.”Dang! Hey Star! The chest area got an upgrade. You could hide all sorts of things in it now.” Lorain gave him a particular look. Then rolled her eyes, “Well if that’s the case, I’m going to add some healing bombs to it.” She lifted the chest piece from the box. “Jeez! You could hide a whole cow in here. But its pretty light. Huh. Fancy that.” She etched the inside of it with her powers. She grabbed my hand and shoved me into the bathroom. “Ok Cornfed, just tell me if you can feel anything different.”
Horus pinged J’ino: ((It might be wise to bring the Doctor in on some things. Her abilities to add healing properties to many objects is increasing at a vastly improbable rate. One not know to even the Council.))
*****
Thoth placed the relic code into his depot of oddities. Choosing an old vase to hide it in. Unless you knew the frequency, it would never betray itself to the outside world. Medusa gave him a rather come hither glance. “My king, what shall we give to Chronos?” He brought up a hidden compartment. A small green plate was inside. “This. It has muthra markings on it. Let it be another false lead. I have the real ticket to our lovely duel.”
His grin was wolfish.
“I will use this when the time is right. It’s nice to have help. Even if they don’t know it.”
*****
After everyone had left my parents sat me down in the main living room. My father spoke first, “From what your mother has said, you put yourself in harm’s way on purpose. Care to clarify anything with me?” I glanced around the room for a moment. A familiar dark suited man was pouring himself some tea. He blinked next to dad.
Tell him.
He ran his finger alongside my father’s head. From the crown to the nape of his neck. My mother twitched in astonishment. Whatever Mr. Apple was doing must have been quite the trick.
I faced my father, “Whatever the Muthra group is, it's compromised. A friend supplied Thoth with a bogus reward. The real thing is safe but I can’t say where. Mainly because I don’t remember.” I winked at them both. “Mostly.” My dad gave me a very critical once over. Some sort of communication passed between my parents. Dad set his coffee mug down and knelt in front of me. “Alright Space Cadet, so this is to be Murphy business eh?”
Mr. Apple drew a circle around all of us.
“Yup! If we officially don’t know a thing, it doesn’t have to be said or recorded right?” Mom burst out laughing. My father just shook his head in amazement. “See, if I don’t know what my left hand is doing, why tell my right, or anyone else for that matter. I can just keep telling my parents my very valid concerns about life, the universe, everything! 42!” My father’s face perked up at that last line.
He cleared his throat, “I see. So what other 18 years old, soon to graduate concerns do you have? Unless it's in your mother’s arena.” I gave him a half hug. “Don’t worry Marshmellow Man! I have no super girly things at this time. Your clearance level is safe!” Mr. Apple gave a polite bow. Forming a Bow and Arrow. Then he fired it into a small sun.
Tell them all truth. Heart’s truth.
“The Light of Emris is safe. I will protect it with my life. In Darkest Void, In Brightest Star, We Stand Here Evermore.”
My mother aimed a triangular scanner towards my mid section. Shock flooded outward. For some odd reason, the device melted in her hands, like it never even existed. All she did was walk over and sit next to me. Placing a hand on the back of my neck.
>>Keep those words close, say nothing of them, not even a hint. Understand? Damn, that’s what you said on the Moon that day with the Stone. I should have known that….<<
The ivory ring on my index finger squeezed until the command was burned into my subconscious. “I promise Mom, what were we talking about?” Mr. Apple placed an orange in front of me. It tasted wonderful. My parents looked straight at him. For the first time he spoke audibly.
“Convergence approaches. Guard the Multiverse.”
I nodded without really knowing why. My father went to his study to grab some whiskey. My mother kept her hand on my neck. The constant low-level pain in my back receded. I wondered why that was. Granted, it had always been there, would have been worse without Doc and my demi powers but I had always assumed it was because of my demi capabilities. Something told me that my mother was doing some nudging her own. My mind flashed back to my grandparents joking. The memory rising to the top with stark clarity. I once asked my grandmother how she and pop-pop had met. She brought me in close like it was some big super-secret: “An office romance my dear.” I eyed my mother.
“You met dad at work?”
She gave me a gentle smile in return and winked, “Just don’t let your right hand know. Ok?”
Later that night I found myself messaging Lorain and Eddie:

//EM to LL:: JO//: I just had the weirdest night with my folks. Quick question, how did your parents meet?//
//LL: My parents hooked up while my dad was a Captain in the Space Division for the US Army. Mom was already hooked on the Navy side on one of the battleships. Why?//
//JO: Dude! Both my parents are Army for Life. What do you think happened?//
//EM et all//: Oh man, so all of us are Office Romance kids?//
//JO: HA! Hell yes.//
//LL: Wow, well that would explain some things. We are hopeless aren’t we?//
Over a private link:
//LL: I am going to check your back again ok? I don’t want to hear it out of you Cornfed. It worries me. And a doctor takes care of her captain.//
//EM to LL: Right, Ill see you bright and early then.//

I collapsed on my bed. The door opened. Snoopy and Cooper made themselves right at home. The beagle even perked up at one point, <<I will be 2nd Bacon  on your starship! Promise?>> I gave him a good scratch, right along the spine, “Of course! I'll never go anywhere without you guys at my back!”
Cooper took his spot to the right, laying his head across my chest, forming a green clock next to my bed. Meanwhile Snoopy spun in a circle, hogging my other pillow, his tail thwacking the side of my head until his soft snores carried him off to dreamland. Filled with rabbits and 2 headed cows no doubt. He said there was a whole planet of them.
Sleep came quickly for me.
*****
                J’ino and Thomas stared at the Scholar. He tipped his hat at them both. “The Rules of Uplift will change. The Keeper Agents are only effective while hidden. Very soon your daughter will bring them all to light. When that happens, we must be ready.”

Issue 14: Here
Issue 16: Here

2 comments:

  1. Eliza would do well in politics with explanations like that. More secrets within secrets. Everyone stringing everyone else along.
    Ps: Someone should teach J'ino the Admiral Anderson and Commander Shepard rules on dealing with unlikable superiors. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What until you see what will develop with X'mil. *IE His ending. Oh man. Yes. Satisfaction. S3 is where all sorts of clashes will play out.

      Delete