Tuesday, November 24, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: MFE B1 The Dog Days of Christmas

 

The Dog Days of Christmas

 

                All one has to do to make friends: What is absent in life? Fill it with Joy!—Bardaxian Proverb.

            We have encountered many on our trek across the stars but only a pale blue dot houses a most interesting conundrum, the modern K-9. Yet somehow they are distant cousins to us. We must find out why.—Heals-The-Rifts, Bardaxian Ambassador to Typha.

            That Christmas was one I remember fondly. Cooper still loves to tell that tale to his children. How he helped find all those missing presents. Finding another friend in the process. True friendship is forged in those quiet moments between tick and tock. In my darkest moments, I kept thinking of our misadventure at the mall. Unlike that other time to safeguard Ritark, this one had an even happier ending.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

 

The Murphy Household

New Ashbury Texas

December 24th, 2103       

 

Cooper raised his nose as he detected the delightful things heating up in the kitchen. He had never experienced a Human holiday quite like it. Besides Thanksgiving. Both should be imported to Bardax. Eat drink and be merry. For tomorrow more bacon!

Augustus tilted his head, <<I heard that Little John and the others are coming as well!>>The corgi’s ears perked forward as Eliza exited. Lorain and Eddie on her heels. He even saw Mr. Di’axi with them. Eliza didn’t want him to be alone for the holidays.

Cooper agreed. The Scholar’s deep-set blue eyes were brighter than ever. Like a great many weights had been lifted from him. The German Sheperd trotted over. Posing just so. It always got the two-footer’s attention. No matter the species.

<<Augustus and I want to help! We will safeguard Christmas!>>

            Auggie barked. His tone indicating agreement.

            The corgi’s voice echoed, <<Yes! Since Snoopy is not allowed to cook without supervision we thought it best to collect gifts! Plus can’t trust the Squirrels! They will take all the pecans from the pies!>>

            The German Shepherd floated through the air and got next to Eliza. Putting his chin on her shoulder, <<What does eggnog with rum taste like?>>

*****

            I replied, “Mom would kill me if I added Rum. To be on the safe side we stored all the alcoholic beverages at Uncle Paxton’s mancave. Cooper whined but then his ears perked forward again. <<More puppies?!>> I nodded.

            He dashed around the house, <<PUPPIES!>>

            My father appeared from his den. Alongside Paxton. Both gave the black GSD a scratch under the chin. Diamonds aka Grandma Ayeer dived in as well to give me a giant hug. I was grateful I could feel things properly. I was still gentle with people though. There was a knock at the door. Marion had Little John in her arms. Payne was in deep conversation with Y’lansa. My aunt had brought my cousins. Along with her husband. It would be a very full house this X-mas eve. Auggie dived in with, <<They put bacon inside the Turkey!>> All the other corgis went nuts. <<Plus mashed potatoes!>>

            Little John pranced around everyone. Even dashing outside to flop in the snowdrifts in the front yard.

More happy barks.

            Marion knelt and gave Auggie a kiss between his ears. “Who’s such a good boy?”

            She laughed as she put a special green Santa hat on his head. Then she provided a jingle bell collar. It rang throughout the house as the Lanis corgi showed off his holiday accessories.

            Zach dashed by, various presents on a metallic serving plate. He grinned, “I got ya something really good!” Then he was off. A near blur of activity. Lorain wanted to pick something up at the Mall of America, they would be open until 8 pm and she wanted it to be special. Had it on layaway for a few months from what Eddie told me. Cooper zoomed back in, <<We wish to go to the Mall as well. Many gifts to see!>> As I entered the grav car, Little John and Snoopy joined us. Auggie settled himself on Lorain’s lap. While Cooper took the backseat to join the beagle in hanging his head out the window.

            <<MERRY CHRISTMAS HUMANS!>> He formed a holographic Tree complete with white lights to hover over the greater Ashbury area. I was glad he was able to do this without a giant neon sign over our vehicle. My father waved and kept a close eye on mom as we drove off. I had a feeling he’d be just as watchful as he had been with Zach.

*****

            J’ino smiled as Cooper formed the festivities in the sky. She knew her daughter was worried. Thomas was still debating on whether or not to show Eliza the footage from her birth. What had happened. J’ino felt that she should know. Thomas wanted to protect his baby girl. He had already shown Dexter what had happened. Their son believed that his sister should know. But ultimately that would be up to them. They knew Eliza would forgive but that wasn’t the point to Thomas. That day had been hard on everyone. Thinking Dexter was gone. No, what concerned Thomas: He had killed. Not only that he had crossed a line he didn’t think possible. Mayhem’s taunts still echoed all these years later. J’ino kissed her husband’s cheek. “It will be fine. Either show her or not. I don’t think her view of us will change. Empath remember? She knows how difficult it is.”

            >>Bring back some of those crackers your father likes.<<

            Eliza’s mindvoice was still new. Still only perceivable to J’ino but that didn’t matter. Her girl was finally sharing the mainstay of her Typherian heritage. Those that were mute were considered fundamentally broken in her society. J’ino hoped that would change when Eliza finally saw her other home up close.

>>You got it, space lady.<<

            M’taris waved frantically. Stopping her granddaughter from leaving the driveway for a moment. She came back with a satisfied expression. “Mother. What was that?” All the Ayeer matriarch would do in response was grin like a cat with a canary in its mouth.

The Mall of America

New Ashbury (Texas)

December 24th, 2103

           

I whistled a tune as I parked the car. Everyone lept out and we made our way to the entrance. Some heads turned as we “walked” all the dogs off-leash. Auggie was in the lead with Little John next to him. Cooper and Snoopy were flanking them. Like an honor guard. Doc shivered. Snow flurries were raining down on our heads. I took off my flight jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders. A burst of cool air felt normal on my skin. I saw how red Lorain’s nose was getting. I felt warm from head to toe. She eyeballed me and stated, “Now I gotta test this theory. She embraced me. I returned it. Grinning as she narrowed her eyes further. “You are like a furnace right now. No fair! Is space this cold for you?” She said the last part at a volume I could hear easily. I thought about it.

“Not really. Feels about the same to me.”

She buried her fingers under my shirt. Soon she stopped shivering altogether. We made our way inside. I guided our dogs to the air station near the entrance. Cooper stayed under the dryer the longest. His thick undercoat was made for weather like this. I pointed. There it was. The food court. Our Bardaxian friend had another idea. He was sniffing the ground. His tail a blur of motion. He didn’t quite bark. It was more of a growling harrumph. His ears flickered as he caught the noise of something. The tiny patter of feet. I focused on it. A tiny voice was muttering, “Must find all the shiny yes! Beast of burden. King of the Last Land will be upset if I don’t find the right one!”

Auggie trotted over with Little John and Snoopy. His nose was quivering, <<Some people upset. Someone took all the Toys from the Jolly One on the Main floor!>>

            I arched an eyebrow at Doc, “This looks like a job for….”

*****

            Auggie approached the Jolly One. His green hat made all the children stop and stare. One asked, “Star has Santa dogs too?!” Jolly St. Nick smiled, “Well well! It’s good to see you.” Little John had a festive red collar wrapped around his neck. It also jingled. While Emerald K-9 barked in time with the music. One kid ran up, “Are you gonna get the presents? It's supposed to be for the kids at the hospital.”

            With the influx of new tech from Typha and beyond, most with what some would consider terminal in other parts of the Universe were getting treated. Within a generation or two most of our pandemics or viruses would be a thing of the past. Already our doctors were jumping all over the information. We might even crack further developments with prolong. I raised my eyes to the upper levels of the mall. That same little voice was continuing to mutter. “I think I might have an idea where those gifts are at. Sit tight kids.” Snoopy jumped onto the sleigh behind Santa, he howled. His body pointing the way. “Dashing all the way then!” Doc hid a smirk. She said I was often too corny but now I recognized her emotions for what they were. I kept my head on a swivel. Using my senses to keep the mini culprit in range. After a few levels, we came upon a storage room. A security guard let us in.

            At first, nothing was out of place. Various containers of cleaning supplies and service bots but near the 2nd storeroom, I found curious scratch marks on the side doors. Cooper growled low. The scruff of his neck standing on end. The doorway clicked open and we found more supplies. But at different intervals more scratch marks. Made by tiny claws. Doc ran it through her various databases. Both local and beyond and it came back with one word: Rat (common animal to Earth.)

            I linked to Uncle Paxton.

            ///Has any present stealing epidemics been going on involving rats?///

            His face filled my nano HUD implants. Which popped up in the corner of my vision. Emris was correlating things with Horus in the background. Even Jupiter was adding her calculations to the mix.

            <<Kid! We are calling it the Little Drummer Boy case. We don’t think it’s a demi child taking all the gifts though. Most times many are returned but a handful of packages have remained undiscovered. We think there’s a pattern.>>

            Dad cut in with, <<Osiris believes there may be a Walker or Unity connection. Mainly due to the graffiti found at one of the sites.>>

I kept my feed going, so they could all see through my POV. Emerald K-9 was barking at a particular section of the wall. As I got closer, bright yellow runes flared to life, words reverberating around the room.

            “No more missing children. So says the King of Last Land. What do you seek Bearer?”

            Mom and Diamonds were behind Dad in an instant.

            My Typherian grandmother clearly stated, <<That is a phrase I haven’t heard in a while. The King of Last Land is a coded setup. It is Latari in origin.>>

            Doc had a death grip on my arm. I reached out and placed my palm against one of the runes. 10 rats bounded outward. The biggest one, dark gray with a white puff across his chest stood on his hind legs. Nose quivering. He muttered, “I will take to master. King of Last Land. Dark things want the Demi Children of Earth.” Cooper sniffed the rat in return. His tail still standing on end. But the German Shepherd was intrigued.

            Snoopy added, << Just as bad as the Night of 1000 Stars??>>

            The rat nodded frantically. “Master says it worse. Want magic children!”

            My grandmother practically shouted into the feed, <<Royal Edict, follow that rat and assist the Last Land.>> My back went rigid at her tone. I saluted out of reflex.

            I used my Muthra credentials to access the Night of 1000 Stars incident.

            The gist of it: The All-Father had captured many Litari Den Mothers to make an army of Void Walker infused children that would eventually be called the Children of Chains. Ishtar had been one of the main manufacturers of what many called the Seed Brood. All corrupted with various experiments. Like what we found on the Null ship that day. When the Typherian ruling body had found out what House Urranden had committed they became the Hidden House. But this was the event that had caused the final fracture. The greatest offense.Before that, it had mostly been seen as a House feud between Ayeer and Urraden over Uplift Protocol.

            I scooped up Doc and the corgis while Cooper encased Snoopy in a Defender shield and we entered the rune-incrusted doorway. Doc had made sure to use her powers to enhance the whole group. Turns out she could make it possible for them to survive space for a time. Not indefinitely but she could reinforce biological beings with a temporary atmo shield of sorts. To keep the air in their lungs. The environment on the other side was cold but not sub artic. The rats looked at us, nodding, then started bounding off through the darkness. I could hear running water as we transversed the tunnels. Markings everywhere. I couldn't tell if this place was artificial or not because I was mainly concentrating on following the rats. Like a regular Piper’s tale. A sudden burst of light blinded all of us.

            A gravelly voice called out, “We must not let them get the children you see. No. The All-Father will corrupt magic even beyond Thoth’s machinations. A time of cheer for your people. But one must always listen to the rats. Do you think they belong to Earth? They belong to me.”

            I blinked rapidly. Little John jumped from Doc’s arms and stood defiant. His head held high to defend his humans. Auggie called out, <<Where do you come from if not the Sky?>>

            He put a paw on Doc’s chest. His hat jingled as he looked back and forth.

Awaiting an answer.

The wizened face held a lantern before him. Along his beltloop was a flute of sorts. Its symbols were swirling. Ever-changing. Half his face was humanoid but his teeth were rodent shaped. He smiled, “I was once a man. Cursed I was. Now I repay a debt unending.” His black eyes widened. He held out his hands, “Do you see it Bearer?! THE DARK THAT FEEDS? It sleeps within its stoned castle. Where the Mordred lays.” He shook his head mournfully.

            “The Bel rings for him now. Even worse fate. A soul consumed. Not just eaten. Nothing left.” His dry laughter ended in a series of hacks. His breathing was labored. He held out a simple doll. Its face innocuous with its innocence but then my nose started to bleed.

            His harsh refrain continued, “Dark may seep into the Worlds of Man, Kingdom of Councils, the Throne’s demains will break the foundation of the Twins. You see it, Bearer? YOU MUST!” He unbuckled his flute. Its tune was light and airy. A hint of beauty in the dark. But then it became rough and images formed. An industrial planet pitted with green fires. Various pirate fleets orbiting it. The Piper pointed, “There you will find the All-Father. Free the cries of the Children. My fault.  My burden. Release me? Have I not atoned enough?” He sat heavily. His rats surrounding him. He picked up the dark gray with the white puff, “Let dear Ichabod guide you. Keep him safe for me. He is my favorite friend.” I took the rat. Cradling him gently in my hand.

            My HUD crackled as we reappeared within the Storage Room. All the presents were here. Even the doll. Although my nose no longer bled. Ichabod nudged me with his tiny nose. “Master fixed! No chance of stolen children. Help him, please? He tries so hard!”

            My parents' tone indicated we had been out of reach. Mom even exclaimed, <<How in the hell did you get that close to the Zygotic Expanse? You have some explaining young lady.>>

            Grandma Ayeer put some money in the Jar for everyone. I could see the notes increasing as everyone was trying to get information. I asked Uncle Paxton, <<Want to help me make a cover story? I don’t think the real one will help much. At least not for now.>>

*****

            Snoopy howled as I guided Santa’s sleigh from the mall. Doc was sitting next to Saint Nick as the night air hit my skin. Various children and adults alike took vids or holo-pics. I had always done something every Christmas from the start but this year was especially important. Knowing what I had to protect. Snow crunched as I landed everyone near the hospital.  The corgis and Emerald K-9 jumped from the sleigh. Barking merrily and chasing those who could run all over the place. One little girl pointed, “I like rats. Can I hold him?” I placed Ichabod in her hands. She whispered to him, “I have Mr. Perrywinkle at home. Momma says I can see him again after surgery.” She planted a tiny kiss on his head. She looked at me and said, “Take care of him. They are just as good as dogs or cats. Or even hamsters.”

            I replied, “I will at that. He’s a very special friend.”

In the Piper’s eyes, I had seen just as much affection and love as I would when anyone looked at Cooper. Ichabod waited until the children were busy and said, “Master isn’t bad. Not anymore. He was sick. The Unity of the All-Father’s planet made him sick. Many people were stolen. Not just children.” I rubbed Ichabod along his chin for a moment. I replied, “I promise. When we finish with Thoth we will deal with the All-Father.”

            The rodent jumped to my shoulder. Using my golden pauldron as a cover of sorts. His whiskers and nose poking out as he made himself comfortable.

            The night sky filled with the warm glow of fireworks. In the distance, I could hear the chimes from the cathedral. It was midnight already.  I smiled, “So what did you have me put in the trunk anyway?” Doc smirked, “OH NO YOU DON’T! That’s for tomorrow!” She gave me a small tap on the nose. I leaned in slightly, taking on a conspiratorial expression, “Based on what grandma’s list was I think she’s expecting trouble.” Doc punched me on the shoulder. I held up my hands, “Hey! She said to keep it a surprise!”

            I caught Doc’s hands as she tried to make another set of jabs.

This time at my midsection.

Emerald K-9 hovered a snowball over our heads. I laughed as he let them drop.

Doc rolled up another ball and hurled it straight at my face.

An all-out snowball battle was underway.

*****

            Cooper linked with Watson, <<Inform Bardax, it’s confirmed. The Rats have left the Cheese Wheel.>>

The Basset Hound grumbled. <<Indeed. We shall be very careful then. Stick close to Pack. We must protect!>>

            The old Bardaxian trotted over to M’taris. The Queen Consort lifted him into her arms. Putting him nearly nose to nose with her. “What say, you old man? “

            His tail thumped intermittently.  He replied, “Good water. Good Pack. Nice Holiday. We will need these memories.” He knew what she meant. Bardax would be a light when all others went out. They would join with the White. Providing the Blue Wall of Hope. So more could return when the time came. He knew what would happen. What Eliza would have to face. In the end, even if it was only a single light, with the help of all others, they would bring her back from the brink.

            Just as she had done for so many.

Time and time again.

*****

Augustus watched his humans play. He was glad that they were so happy. Cooper was next to him. He looked up. The German Shepherd was staring at the stars. <<Will we win? Can so many little paws carry so much? I am just one corgi. Little John has more of a bite than I do.>>

            Cooper rested a paw on Auggie’s head, <<Yes. That is how many great battles are won. With those who can help carry the load. It is not the size of the Bardaxian that counts but the courage. And you have much of it Augustus Lanis. You will bring great honor to your Pack.>>

            There was a reason why most of Bardax was Belt worthy.

            What most didn’t realize: Their whole planet housed the Power of the Blue Defender.

            With each step, they would bring light to all corners of the Universe and beyond.

*****

            The Piper continued to hold his flute to the sky.

            He felt the tears fall as he could finally recall the faces of his children.

            The All-Father had no idea what was truly happening.

            Solemn notes filled the air as the Piper continued on the Paths within the Weave.

            Humanity would bring a vital song to the symphony.

            He only hoped he would live to see it.

Issue 20: Here

Issue 21: Here

2 comments:

  1. The Uplift Protocol Christmas Special. Feature Piped Piper and his Rats. Setting up more All-Father the leader of the Rogue Typherian Hidden House. A lot of focus on the Dogs in this chapter. Implications that they created the Defender Belts or the Blue ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. The Blues def grew from Bardax. Because they have the purest level of Hope.

      I am biased of course. XD

      Delete