Sunday, November 8, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: MFE B1 Issue 15

 

Issue 15: The Wellspring Of Forever

 

                Thrice damned Void Line. It moves constantly. Back in Ta’mathon’s day it could be accessed from the Golden City. Its why I tried to capture it way back when. Where is that miserable wellspring now. I was quiet sure it would be under A51 itself. Its entrance has moved to somewhere within Earth’s influence. It might not be on Earth itself anymore. In fact…oh yes. I have a way.—Thoth.         

            I had to omit information. Thoth knows were most of the entry points are, based on previous experience but we made sure that it would be difficult to reach the new points. Leylines shift based on many factors. Even my husband’s conferences within the Throne confirm this. Unfortuantly I had to indicate otherwise to give the All-Father misinformation. He has spies even on Earth. If they fight each other means we have more of a chance of stopping Unity.—M’taris Ayeer.

            I got some results back from the Bloodtests, she does have some abnormalities that we could begin testing, but to find any kind of cure for the Sleeper conditioning, we are going to need much more than a sample I’m afraid. Our medical science can do much but unless we have more to work with, our tech wont be able to synthaze a proper counter agent.—Arthon to Puzzler.

            Sometimes interviewers ask me if I would change anything about what happened once the White manifested. I would say no. That event saved all of Earth from an early grave. Plus I managed to prevent my mother from becoming the next Seed factory for Keeper experiments. Yes, the process to morph my body into a proper vessel was hell. Chronic pain until I was 8. Then by the time my mid 20s rolled around, the lack of touch, to know if I was even on fire. All that changed with the advent of the White Defender. After that moment I could feel everything. The sensation of it nearly drowned my Identity. Imagine being blind your whole life and suddenly you can see everything. That was what nearly broke me. Its no wonder my grandmother and my belt kept things from me. I had to be kept in the dark.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memorie of the 22nd century.

Project Osiris

Camp Osiris (New Ashbury, Texas)

December 14th, 2103

           

Mary Herbert-Lanis had all the tools set aside for a moment. The Children of Chains corpses were each arrayed before her on various operating tables. Her daughter was equipped with other surgical gear. Her eyes glittered with worry. Mary motioned to the hatchway and J’ino entered as well. Alongside J’dax and a new arrival kitted out with elite guard gear. It was mostly silver armor with black boot plates and an unusual sash tied around his waist. Mary could tell the other was male because he was abiding by the normal social distance between Typherian men and women. J’ino looked at her new guardian and smiled. Her son was taking to his training rather quickly. As far as Typha was concerned. It would be vital to maintaining his false identity.

Dexter made a formal request, >>Ambassador. I might have something for the doctor and her mother. From my usual source.<<

J’ino turned to Mary, “Congratulations on the promotion.” Mary’s rank of Commodore was apparent via J’ino’s H.U.D. She was quite happy for the senior Lanis. Her golden hair was pulled back in a bun within the suit. Unlike the past, these suits had reinforced gloves, which allowed for delicate procedures but also gave excellent protection. Lorain grunted as she opened up the spinal column of X’ mil’s former head of security. She was glad that these suits had enclosed air circuits.

J’ino kept a safe distance. She asked, “Any irregularity in the blood of the Children themselves?”  Lorain frowned, “Yes. While the blood types are standard for Typherians. The monsters that popped out of them are all related to Agent Brookes. They have her warp blood all throughout. I separated more samples to analyze.”

Dexter linked in with Arthon, <<I may have those bigger samples you’d want. Have to see if she can filter Brookes’ blood out from the Children.>> He still didn’t like keeping this from them but he understood why Arthon was doing it. Less people caught up in it the less likely the enemy would know they were attempting a cure. He saw General Murphy enter with Star. Both keeping a respectful distance.

*****

            I pinged Doc on our private coms, <<Apple says to look for markings. Most times these things are implanted as embryos into the chest. Like some of those horror movies you hate.>> She looked over at me, her voice projected through the suit’s audible system, “Oh god. Really? Disgusting.” She motioned her mother back as she made some incisions along the main node connecting the Chains to the host. My father’s bracers were singing.

The voice of Anubis and Ra adding, On the battlefield, some of those things would infect other corpses. Reanimating them.

My father muttered, “Star.” I regarded him with a concerned expression. “Sir?”

“When you are in London, try to research more about Thoth’s encounters with others. He’s butted heads with a certain king for a while.”

His eyes locked with mine.

“Sometimes reports don’t tell the whole story. Perhaps magic can reveal more.”

I donned some medical gear. Even if I was immune to most things I didn’t want to contaminate friends, family, and the general population. The outer door cycled open. Did the usual procedures and I entered the sterile environment with the Lanis duo. I held down the corrupted seed within the corpse as Lorain popped it open. She took some samples and the analyzer got to work.

((Keeper residue and nanites detected. Compiling genome anchor for comparison. Three separate DNA markers detected: Agent Hilary Brookes, known Keeper plant. Pira, additional information is requested. Need Ambassadorial clearance.  All-Mother. Access denied by Utasa Sector Security.))

            Doc let out a strangled scream as one of the limbs shot out. I blocked it. One of the black tentacles still writhing against my forearm. I could feel her heart thudding against my spine as she collected herself. My eyes widened.  The vibrations were easy for me to detect. White snorted within my mind. Typherians are extremely sensitive there. Remember? Besides considering what I am putting you through at least I can help you have some sort of balance.

*****

            J’ino watched her daughter’s face. From the way Lanis reacted,  most times Typherian pairs shielded one another in different ways.  Her voice reached out.

Maybe?

She felt a lump form within her throat.

            >>Star.<<

*****

            I looked about the room. It was like someone was tapping me on the shoulder. White took me by the hand, so to speak, putting a bright yellow string in my hand.

You won't be able to talk to the others for a while but that’s not the point.

She was apologetic but I was pretty grateful.

Things could be a whole lot worse.

            I reached out for that line and held it gently. Sparks dotted my eyes as the room tilted a bit. Doc’s hand shot out to steady me. I had never heard my mother before. Not like this. There was more than words. The emotion behind it all left no illusions about how she felt.

            My mind took one wobbly step to the mind casting frontier.

            >>Hello?<<   

            Part of me wanted to pick something more suitable but it was the most simple response my mind could form under the circumstances.

                An avalanche nearly buried me. Mom pulled back. A mix of glee and embarrassment. I gathered from my brother and J’dax reactions this was normally reserved for when a Typherian baby said its first word. Well, I didn’t mind. Technically I was a rank novice with Typherian anything.  I could feel them both knocking so I said, “Sorry guys. Looks like my brain got scrambled just enough for one.” J’dax laughed but it was a good-natured one. My brother nodded. We couldn’t outright say, “IT WAS OUR BELTS!” so this was the next best way to get that across.

Doc motioned towards the next body. I got the hint. She didn’t want some sorta crazy zombie monster to attack her. So I lived up to my shield moniker and saved my better half from more slimy unfortunate things. I suppose there was a silver lining to not having some sort of touch sensation. This whole setup reminded me of Captain Cosmos vs The Feeler Monsters.

            Except those things weren’t out to eat all life and everything in it.

            Doc’s hands plunged into the next chest cavity. She pleaded, “Take that one’s legs and like a wishbone, break that part. This guard has a different kind of face-eating embryo in it.”

Mary added, “This isn’t even the worst I’ve seen.”

            Lorain replied, “Mother no. Please.”

            I hid my amusement but I think Lorain caught it anyway because she made a clicking noise, “Don’t you dare update my Captain.” Mary just shrugged and sent a message anyway.

            ///It’s interesting how my daughter can handle most actual medical emergencies but if its giant tentacled things or say bugs, she gets all squirrelly. I’ll behave. For now.///

            Oh boy. In some ways, I was glad I was low on the totem pole with Project Osiris.

            Mom’s voice rang out, >>You haven’t seen anything yet Space Cadet.<<

            >>What are you and Mrs. Mary up to? Intergalactic Hunting Club?<<

            I could hear mom laughing. As we all decon’d and exited the surgical theater my mother was still hunched over. J’dax nudged her. “Sister. She doesn’t know. Which is the point.” Mom finally brushed the tears away. Her mind was still layered with many things. I never realized just how much I had missed out on.  Mom came over and led me to another room. It was just the two of us for a moment.

            Her eyes locked onto mine, >>My job has certain aspects I loath. I have to perform something that I dread. Tell me, how would you handle X’mil’s situation? Incarceration or Death?<< The seriousness of the topic gave me a moment of sober realization. I tried to picture things from a more neutral perspective. Her mind was open to me in a frank way that startled me. My mother’s job was difficult in a way I had never experienced. He was being branded. They were going to throw more than the book at him. I saw the strain in her stance. She truly detested this part of her society. I reached out and hugged her. Her eyes were glassy.

            >>What would you have me do Space Cadet??<<

            White was silent. She wanted to see how I would choose.

            They didn’t exile their people in the same way humanity did. They would sever his nodes.

            I saw the realization bloom with my mother. She was heartsick.

            Because I had been cut off from the start. Only just now getting to see the other side.

            I cupped her chin. Forced her to look me in the eye.

            “X’mil made his choices. But you can make yours as well.”

            She was crying now. Not tears of pity. Based on what I could sense it was pent up pressure. She was within a moment of vulnerability not normally allowed for one with her station. I kissed the top of her head. Like she had done for me when I was little.

            I didn’t have the context for their whole society. I probably never would.

            I didn’t want my mother to despair. If I could help lift this burden. Carry it for her. I would bear it. Gladly. I could see that change within her mind. That’s what families did. I filled my mind with resolve. Wrapped it around my mother like a cloak.

>>He may not forgive anyone or even himself but if he survives, Life is usually the better option. <<

I paused. Taking the time to bolster her moral. His decisions lead him to this result.

We could lead the horse to water but he had to drink.

>>Mercy can lead to other avenues not realized. What he does with his remaining bits of Life is free for him to choose.<<

            Mom eventually raised her head to meet my eyes. They were clear and calm once more.

            “I’ll never think any less of you.”

            She punched my shoulder lightly in response, “I should be the one doing this for you.”

            I smiled, “You have! Remember? The last 29+ years? I think I’m due for paying you back!”

 

The Rotunda

Typha, Commons Bench

December 15th, 2103

           

X’mil faced the judges.

One from each House and dozens representing the Commons. He paled when he saw his house colors inverted. The flag was faced on the Judge's side.

            Named Outcast then.

His stomach turned. He wanted to throw up but nothing was left.

For the Ayeer Slot, M’taris wasn’t there. Her daughter, J’ino was present via holo vid. Her form was pristine and stately. Reminding X’mil keenly of the Queen Consort. He bit the inside of his lip. The tang of blood washed over his tongue. He was one sliver away from permanent death. His people didn’t have any love of traitors. The Hidden House was proof positive of that. His ongoing feud over the Earth ambassadorial spot didn’t help matters either.

K’dov Odessen presided. The old fool was Y’lanssa’s uncle. So the former Scientist knew he had no allies here. If at all. The older Typherian began: Speaking audibly! This was near unheard of. X’mil flushed. A calculated insult.

“For the crimes of high treason: Working with the Hidden House, we find you guilty.”

X’mil protested, >>I had no idea they were….<<

He fell to his knees as pain ripped through his skull.

K’dov continued as if X’mil was an irritation. “Furthermore, even after J’dax’s multiple warnings, the Itari’tha persisted in undermining our efforts with Earth’s Uplift.”

He felt light-headed. Itari’tha. That was even worse than an outcast.

He was denied basic citizenship. It meant Ghost in his language. Even worse than the Hidden House in many respects. No one in the Uplifted Community would name him now.

The roar of white noise filled his mind. He nearly missed the next thorn. J’ino was speaking. “….in light of this other evidence, death would be too much of a mercy, I recommend incarceration within the Reach.”

He pulled at the restraints. They had him hooked to the floor. He screamed, “I demand recourse. I have that right!” A mental blocking band encased his head. He felt the restraints morphing, digging into his skin to mark him, while further restricting his movement. Not there. His House had many enemies there. She knew. That whore. One last insult. As they encased within immobilization fields he felt a pinprick. The pain killers. He would be a cripple. His scream of terror turned to blessed silence as the other drugs kicked in.

*****

            J’ino watched as the procedure ripped X’mil’s abilities away. No mental casting. No matter manipulation. Not even what his House was known for: Telekinesis.

Each incision reminded her of what Eliza’s back used to look like. She watched this from the Atlantian Embassy rather than her own. Because it allowed Eliza to be here. Not to see this judgment but to be present next to her. She knew she gripped her daughter’s hand far too hard. J’dax was still training Dexter in proper protocol. She felt a flush of guilt.

            She wished Thomas could be here as well.

            Parents were supposed to bear the burdens.

            Her thoughts turned to her mother and father. A sad smile played on her lips for a split second. She hid it under the guise of reaching for more paperwork. It wouldn’t do well for the Judgement Bench to see any weakness from her. It would cause too much trouble for her father if she did. Most of the other houses expected the Ayeers to be arbiters as well as Throne Maintainers. Stupid gilded cage.

*****

            I could see my skin turn whiter were mom’s fingers clamped down with claw-like intensity. I didn’t care. She told me I would have to be quiet. In both ways. So I waited until she disconnected from the holo-transmitter. Her face was clouded over. I hugged her again. Holding her until the sobbing abated.

            I was resolved. I’d 1686 Typha with some American knowhow!

            She caught my line of thinking and broke down with fits of giggling.

            Excellent.

            In fact I think I’d introduce Typha to some Texas bluntness as well.

The Thone of the Multiverse

Typha

December 16th, 2103.

           

Trouble waddled next to V’alkor. Still in the form of a black Earth duck. Just to mess with some of the more stuffy House malcontents. Not all of them were bad. Many were just way too married to the status quo. No wonder J’ino didn’t want to come back in person much. She had gone native especially within the last 10 years. He remembered a fresh-faced J’ino. Leaving to discover what those golden disks contained. Now? She was a mother but also one that rebelled in her own way. The Royal Ummatosh Bird marveled at it. He was glad for it. What his belt and his brother’s talked of gave Trouble hope for the future of Typha. They would need it.

V’alkor stated, >>They are shipping X’mil out to the Reach. I know why my daughter did it. She doesn’t want to disappoint Eliza with the realities of House protocol. I understand all too well.<< He paused. Taking in the massive structure that housed the “Throne.” The overall makeup of the machinery was still unknown to Typha’s top scientists but it wasn’t made for them.

It was made for the Twins.

>>Still, we have our bright spots. The commons will be overjoyed to meet my grandchildren.<< His eyes narrowed as he thought of the Houses. Each one didn’t want to be in the limelight for Throne duty. He snorted. He was very much in his daughter’s corner on that part. No, he wasn’t being completely fair. He knew others were fighting to change that burden within his society. Odessen for one. Over the generations, the Ayeer line had developed some oddities due to their proximity to the Throne. For one: Empaths.

Eliza was a major example. But he had a mild form. Alongside his grandson.

Along with a peculiar second sight or gut reaction. To the entities of Unity.

As he stepped over the threshold M’taris joined him. They walked hand in hand to the epicenter. All lines of Time and Space intersected here. He could see into the past and future. Not of his universe but others. From that, they extrapolated possible turns within their sphere. He reached the Inner Hall. The doors whooshed open and the hum of the Great Machine cascaded throughout the room. Its blue light fracturing into a multitude of lights.

Many versions of himself bowed.

“Any word from the Ur?”

“No, it remains dormant.”

V’alkor nodded. That wasn’t unexpected. The Stone was from an earlier Turning. One filled with boundless promise. That might hold clues to where the Unity originated.  Somehow Eliza was tied to that as well. But it guarded its secrets. Time was an unusual thing. It was possible to travel back in time to observe things but you couldn’t interact directly. Magic was a possible breach of this law but he hadn’t found anything powerful enough to cause a breach.

Walls with weaker voyage points. That was quite possible because of the Weave. If one knew how to cross it. His closest multiversal neighbor stated drily, “You’d think they’d have better instructions on this machine.” The rest laughed. It was an old joke but one that kept them all on their toes. The Throne had many wrinkles to discover. An older version of himself stepped forward. “I hear Rune is with you. If he still has those glasses I’d say he should look within these few areas on Earth.” Ah, so that was the Demiurge universe visitor. He raised his glass in a toast. “Appreciate it. Tell me, just how rambunctious will my grand daughter’s first visit here will be?” The other grinned and let out a devilish laugh.

“She will not obey any protocol. Something about American Tea Parties and the idea of: But Grandfather. I must save you! Liberation for all! She is quite passionate when her back is against the wall.”

His counterpart continued, “Yours is a bit older. But cut from the same cloth I imagine.”

V’alkor saw Trouble quack excitedly at that. <<Good! This place needs some redecorating.>>

            M’taris pinched her husband’s cheek. Then she kissed the same spot. “Crafty old wolf you are. What did you ask the Ur Stone to hide within Eliza?” He twirled his wife around the room. “My dear, the Ur slotted in something vital. Memory. But not just any old memories.” He paused. Knowing that many other versions of himself were listening intently, “The Ur Stone created a special bridge. One of magic and tech. An Eliza that was farther ahead agreed to share some of her hard won knowledge of the Keepers and other things.”

            That universe, he called it the Typha House Unification. Within that realm, his granddaughter had been raised here. Not as an Ayeer though but rather as an Odessen. A leader of the war. Her mother was the human within that scenario. That human empire was known as The United Earth Front. Nearly as advanced as Typha upon meeting.  They were the reason why the Unity wasn’t able to gain a foothold among many quadrants. Temporal rules were strict. No overt knowledge of other people’s choices. That could cause a ripple effect.  The only thing really allowed was shared strategies to defeat the Unity. The greatest mistake of all existence.

            But like anything else, you could bend things to a certain degree.

Which is why this council of himself was made of those closest to a situation of his own.

He could see the Three observing all of them from the depths of the Throne.

Seek those lines that are unbroken. Make sure she places the counter sigil within each. This will silence the overall power of Thoth’s abominations. They will be much weaker than the ones of Ta’mathon’s time. Or that of the First Betrayal.  

            M’taris sat upon a comfortable hoverchair. Regarding the other forms of her husband.

            “So gentlemen, how fairs our combat with the Hidden House?”

            V’alkor and Trouble listened. The various scenarios playing out.

            His eyebrows shot up at the one admitting a peace deal was brokered. Within the Demiurge Universe. That Urraden had even managed to help break apart the Unity Aspect inhabiting their universe. He knew from personal experience that the All-Father here would sooner kill everything before letting Unity eat it. It wasn’t a viable option. Plus he found out that version had a son who even befriended his granddaughter.

            Their Urraden had no legitimate children or bastards. He was married and bound to produce one thing: Weapons of War. His wife, the All-Mother was even more unhinged. Still, by defeating it there, it gave him ideas to assist his people. The bonus? That slowed their Unity enough to get ready.

            He sent a prayer to the Rulers that their people would succeed as well.

The Legion of Tomorrow

Earth, Location Redacted

December 16th, 2103

           

Rune glanced up as his sister motioned to him, “Get in here. What I must say within is for you alone!” He complied. The doorway to her realm opened. He whistled. Even more, books were being added to this codex. He even saw a probe fly by to deposit more information.

His shoulders itched. Feeling the walls of the Library close in about him. “Help this Eliza defend the Leylines. Those run through all Earths endowed with magic.” A map materialized. Then imprinted itself upon Rune. He would only be able to speak the words when the time was right. After that quick update, he found himself back within the training room. Facing against a Star-Spangled Banner at 50% strength. He was starting to get his mojo again. According to his sister, it took a while for his magics to sync themselves up into what these people called the Weave. As he dived into the threads that made up magic, a particular Line called to him. The Fire Line. It blazed within his mind. A tiny sun of crackling energy and sound.

Do not delay. They seek the Iron.

Its massive frame was in the shape of a Bull. It’s horned head belched fire and brimstone. It was agitated. It pawed at the lava flowing around it.

The Iron guards the Excalibur. Lead her to it before the Unity woman. Cathrine Bel must be stopped. DO this and I will give you a spark to light your universe once more with magic.

The Reach

Location Classified

December 17th, 2103

           

X’mil grunted with pain as the fist connected.

Sending one of his teeth into the darkness of the cell block.

The fire still ran down his back from the surgery.  

Every movement was sheer agony.

He had nearly hanged himself in his cell the first night.

If he could only use his matter manipulation abilities. Hell, even his lowkey telekenetics would have been a godsend here in this forsaken place. Grim faces with the parody of smiles glared at him. One snickered. Four callused hands pulled him up. The others retreated. Their eyes filled with fear.

Plus hatred. They knew the price of challenging him of all people.

Striker Nix grinned, “I want something. Considering you need a friend here. Why not start with me? Besides even if those Typherian ramrods don’t consider you a person anymore, I can see the potential.” His eyes stalks turned.

The little buggy with the knife stopped and scuttled away.

Striker murmured, “Live to kill another day huh? Done my fair share here. Damned Banner. Wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for those dumb Bardaxians and her.”

X’mil winced but smiled anyway, “Banner huh? It just so happens I hate her and that J’ino bitch as well. How can I help you Mr….?”

“Nix and believe me. I’ll need someone like you to help me do certain things.”

He walked and listened to the pirate’s tale of woe.

Things were looking up. 

Issue 14: Here

Issue 16: Here 

2 comments:

  1. So was X'mill actually a traitor or was this a scapegoat situation? Because everyone was saying he was a fall guy. Yet Typha is throwing the book at him anyway. Maybe Jino's father was using this to remove more corrupted house members silently? But that seems out of character for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of both but then again? The start of Season 2? X'mil wasn't of a good type of caliber anyway. I usually like to spread out some character background flashbacks when it makes the most sense.

      With how social ladders work on Typha, Women dominant in the social areas, while the guys take up the defense/war mantle, well...

      X'mil used his time on Earth to abuse certain things. More of this will hit in S3 because all the balloons are going up. :P

      As for V'alkor? He wasnt the one who threw everything at X'mil. E'ratha had reasons for wanting to get rid of him as well. They will have their family reunion in Book 7. Oh and boy.

      Oh boy.

      Delete