Tuesday, November 10, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: MFE B1 Issue 16

 

Issue 16: The Iron Line

 

I know that was hard on you daughter. It would have been simpler to just knock X’mil off the chessboard but from what I’ve seen, overall he will lead us to the All-Father and others. We need that edge for what is to come.—V’alkor Ayeer

My mother tells me things ever so often. A morbid part of me is slightly curious. I swear to god, if I am ever in a pit of bugs, I am going to ride on Eliza’s shoulders. Besides she can float. J’dax and his newest “guard” took the refined blood samples. They are up to something but like Project Osiris, it's better not to ask some questions. I might not like the answers.—Lorain Lanis.

This London is amazing! It’s like something out of a Victorian Period novel meets Captain Cosmos. This Earth is something else.—Rune

What I remember most about Elias’ London. The horse-drawn carriages of the Old Sector. At one point, when everything was quiet, I walked alongside the bridges of the Thames. Like parts of my America, some areas were stuck in amber. You’d see modern shielding of course. It’s not like demis stopped fighting but I found my British allies to be quite enjoyable. Good solid people to have in your corner when all other lights went out.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

London Central Grav-Rail

Neo London

December 17th, 2103

 

Elias Payne held out his hand, “Welcome to my area of influence. You stubborn Yankee!”

I grinned, shaking his hand, returning his welcome.

“Oh? If I remember correctly we helped hold your holdings during the Accord Wars.”

The King wagged a finger at me. While his corgis circled. Finding erstwhile pigeons to heckle. Little John barked at Augustus. The Lanis family dog replied,  <<Yes! I do find potatoes delicious!>>

Payne picked Auggie up. His tan nub of a tail wiggled with a joyous greeting.

“Ah, I see. Quite the irregularity. I might have to ask the Bardaxian Ambassador about this. My wife would love to have talks with our merry band.” His gray eyes peered beyond for a moment. Like he was talking to someone and he shook his head. A slight frown appeared then washed away as he looked back at me and winked. “Don’t you worry Captain Murphy. There will be time to address serious matters.”

Marion held out her arm and I grasped it. “First order of things. Some local cuisine! I hear you love sausages.” Cooper’s nose twitched in response. Doc took my other arm.

<<Yes, I want to experience the local flavors of syrup as well.>>

German Shepherds were a rather keen lot. At this moment Cooper had plenty of stocks in outgoing Earth meat goods. His eyes locked onto the street and he went about tracking everything. Taking it all in. The rhythm of heartbeats was different here. Y’lansa would love it here. The mecca of Tea on Earth. I made a note to buy her some.

*****

Elias Payne bowed as we entered the “Kings Palace” tavern.

“Excellent beer.” He shouted at the holo screen as some enterprising athlete kicked a rather robust goal. I wasn’t much into soccer or football but I saw Doc’s eyes light up. Ever the sports fan that one. Patrons' heads whipped around as we entered. One even shouted, “God save the King!”  Payne took this in stride. “Not if my wife does first!” Hearty laughter. So it was a common occurrence here.

“Even better scones for you ladies! Alongside some to die for Scotch Eggs.”

Marion poked her husband in the chest, “The darker the better for me. You brigand!”

We sat at the bar.

A brief hint of perfume hit my nose and I turned around. But the elusive scent was gone. Had I imagined it? Doc noticed my worry, “What’s up Cornfed?”

I dived into the plate before me. It was delicious. Lorain eyed me, “Don’t give me that look, what’s up?”

“I think a certain Madame was just here.”

Lorain caught Marion’s gaze. The royal consort nodded. “We felt it too. The crows are following her. Relax. Enjoy the food. When the chase starts you will know.”

*****

Cathrine Bel cursed. She exited the tavern but didn’t know if anyone noticed. She kicked herself. The king had probably noticed. She clenched her fists then let out a breath. No matter. She would have to find the entry point to the Iron. Based on what she gathered so far the Lady of the Lake might have the sword or something related to it. Along the rooftops, pigeons cooed. The beady eyes of crows using their feathered cousins as shields from prying eyes.

Bel hailed a cabby. The automated hovercar stopped. “Destination?”

“London, Old Sector.”  She pulled up her notes. Her implants displaying the information.

Her frown deepened as she read further. St Dunstan's, Stepney Green. It was the last known location of the remains of Artorus Pendrake. Rumor had it he was either the wielder himself or known to consort with Merlin and the Round Table. She heard Thoth complain about it more than once. Alongside a certain Loxley. Many people believed myths and legends to be mostly that. Bel knew better. Her mind drifted. Soon they wouldn’t laugh. No, soon Thoth and his people would get the rudest wake-up call.

She was the Bride of Chronos and intended for the title to stick.

She knew Medusa thought her mad but Bel knew better. She understood Chronos while the golden scaled “protegee” merely clung to Thoth’s scraps of affection.

*****

Rune’s hands shot out. He was pointing at Big Ben. “Where I’m from they knocked it down.” Elias gawked at the visitor. “No. That’s just downright evil. That clock is veritable…” Marion ran her hands through her husband’s hair. Then planted a kiss on his cheek.  “Our Ben will stand for all time. Even that crazy Professor Ironcast from the Accord Wars wasn’t able to tear it down.” I smiled. We had a similar feeling about the Statue of Liberty.

As the carriage approached, pulled by 6 sturdy draft horses, we all exited. I went over to the driver and tipped him. He grinned, “Thanks!” One of the horses turned its giant white and brown head. It let out a gentle whinny. Doc gave the horse a good scratch on the head for me. She was still wearing the other part of the transceiver. So I got an indication of what it felt like.

The church he was guiding us to was called St. Paul’s Cathedral. Payne was being rather mysterious but he motioned us to the doors. Within was a grand entryway. The marble work was amazing. I went over to the organ and Doc pressed a few keys. Payne whistled and his corgis. Followed. He moved Lorain out of the way, playing a few cords. A soft click sounded and the dais before us phased out of view. Revealing a hidden passage. Rune handed me a set of glasses.

“My sister said to use these later. Once we find our goalpost.”

He was referring to the Iron Line.

As we descended all was shrouded in darkness. Doc wrapped her arm around mine.

The corgis let out a few muted barks as feathers materialized all around us.

A voice called out.

That of a crone: “What do you seek one who bears the Might of America?”

I replied, “I see to guard King and Country. TO protect the Iron Line.”

The obsidian feathers coalesced into a shape. An old woman cloaked in a tattered robe.

Before us was a chamber crisscrossed with sigils.

The glasses that Rune gave me illuminated the space.

The Iron Line

Within the Weave

December 17th, 2103

 

My eyes tracked it. Its silver eyes pinned me to the spot as my body stilled. A large stone lion. It’s massive paw rested on my chest. “You who guards life. Bear the sword to the Inheritor. The Bel rings. Seeking the Man Between Worlds. He is not yet ready. A child of 7 Summers.”

Horus’ voice cut into my HUD, <<It is now known, Madame Mayhem is Cathrine Bel. Subsumed by Unity in the 40s. Mr. Brookes confirmed it. He saw her while captive.>> I noticed the Lion moving his massive head. As if to lean in closer.

“To survive the next storm all the might of Earth’s magic will be needed. Excalibur is a weapon of Water. The man is a Weapon of Iron. They do not cross but bear one another!” His mane rippled. Living stone. Elias Payne’s voice cut in. “By will and bone, so goes the Throne, by magics met, reveal the hex!”

The scene changed and Lion’s tracks led to a shining hill. I still couldn’t see anyone else so I climbed. At the peak of the hill, I saw London. As it had been long ago. The corrupted armies of Thoth threw themselves upon the barricades. Robin was shoulder to shoulder with the Wielder. Every stroke of the sword rang out.

“Within the darkest day, the light shines brighter. Back to the Pits for you!” The knight held Excalibur towards the sky and streams of sunlight burst forth. Where each ray hit, the monsters dissipated. Fog erupted and I felt the cold steel and leather. I was shocked. I was no longer within my own body but that of the Wielder.

Men rallied behind him. Including Robin.

The screams of their foes filled my senses. Unnatural flesh housing horrific creations.

My armor was light. I readied my blade, “FOR ENGLAND! CHARGE!”

Before the black mass light speared through. I could see Thoth in the distance. Never on the front lines. I bellowed, “False King of Nothing. You will not take my city.” I plunged the blade into the Earth. The Knights of the Lionhearted Brigade formed a circle. Chanting to the sky. Ripples of flame scorched the beasts before us.

A fleshly dragon reared its misshapen head. Beedy green eyes shimmered like a hound of hell. It spoke, a language the Wielder couldn’t comprehend but I did. It was Unity. “I will consume all. I am all. I am Infinite. You pathetic things of meat and bone. Your flesh is mine.”

The Wielder raised his blade.

Resting his helm against the shining metal. Its bright light blistering the Flesh of Unity.

 “FOR THE WALL  ENDURES!”

The warcry of the holy host of Knights rang true.

Unity bared its fangs, hissed. It’s voice blasting outward. “KNEEL BEFORE MY GLORY!”

The Wielder denied the Beast. “TO ME BROTHERS!”

Robin aimed and a great shaft protruded from the dragon’s eye. Its black ichor spewing about as it writhed with agony.

I blinked and was back within the Iron Line. A sword rested on my palms. Then Mr. Apple pushed it towards my chest. It faded from view until I heard a gentle voice, “Do not cross the lines. Bear them to victory!”  The lines couldn’t cross but the hosts could! That was the key!

I put on the glasses. I saw it. Clear as day. A faultline that would need repairing. But we would have to gather all the Hosts. Only then would the Lines be truly safe. The Morrigan cackled, “I see old Di’axi upon your brow. Clever one is he.” Her milky white eyes stared through me.

She continued, “The darkness will remain but as long as light holds true.”

Her hands tugged and I could sense the pull. She was burrowing deep.  My body was not my own. She saw something that gave her pause. “Talk to your mirror dear child. The waters of Avalon will show you the way.”

My mirror?

Lorain looked about as puzzled, “What kind of reflection?”

The Morrigan traced the lines of my face. “Seek it child. It is within you.”

Home.

It called. The ground opened up and sucked me under.

The Ur Stone

Time Uknown

Date Uknown

           

I sat up. A woman who looked like me but not grinned. Her eyes were green. The black sclera marking her as a fully functioning Typherian. Her hair was a darker brown. A dark green uniform with American Eagles on her shoulders indicated some sort of military rank. But it was unlike any human uniform I was familiar with. Black cloak behind her. She smiled, “Seek the Path to Avalon. I will be waiting there.”

She parted with, “The stone gave you more than you know. It was a gift, a certain kind of knowledge. I must apologize though. I had to impersonate you to your parents after your first encounter with the Ur. It was more to alleviate their worries. The future is in motion. One only needs to walk the path.”

I reached out but the tesseract retracted.  Before it completely dissipated I saw an endless sea of stars. Within each of those stars was a vast fleet. Arrayed against the Unity.

My mirror self whispered, “The Union will rise, follow the path. Seek the Hosts.”

*****

I found myself on the stone floor of the Iron Line.

Doc running her hands over me.

Her power was cascading from her like a waterfall.

I croaked out, “Prognosis Dr. Sawsmith?”

Her relief was apparent.

She patted me lightly on the cheek. “No unauthorized away missions for you Captain.”

A light hovered overhead. It was Marion. She was shining some sort of crystal in my face. She turned, “We have it Elias. Di’axi inserted the Black Marker. It will confuse Thoth’s minions.” Ahh, so that’s what that strip did. Di’axi was not materializing as his Mr. Apple form but that of a battle mage. His Scholar robes flowing around him. Pitch Black eyes wreathed in white flames from his helm. A burnished gold breastplate. He rested a 6 fingered palm on my chest.

The various markings on his pale white skin reflected a golden radiance.

I command the Void Line.

You already possess that key but we must secure the Wielder first.

I pledge my life to you. The Wall Endures. To the Last Line.

*****

Bel wiped the sweat from her brow.

The ancient crypt below the church revealed a secret. Within this tomb, after digging through wasted bone and rusted metal. She had found it. The worn red hilt of Excalibur felt comfortable in her grip. Its metal crisscrossed with symbology. Markav metal. Good. It would do wonders to bury this blade deep within Thoth’s chest. The look would be priceless. She stared down at the shield resting within those witherded hands. How ironic that Mordred would be the one to be buried with the Sword.

She wrapped it within her longcoat. Adjusting it so that onlookers wouldn’t take notice. If they did she would just wham them with her demi abilities. It didn’t matter if it was a man, woman, or construct. She would seduce the whole world. Bring it to its knees for her Chronos. That was the true test of love.

Her blue summer eyes shined with fevered madness.

“I live to serve only you.”

She let out a small trill of laughter.

“God has no place here.”

As she exited, the crows watched.

Waiting for the battle ahead.

*****

The air shifted and we were within the Tower of London. Outside the sky turned dark red. Marion looked up with alarm. “The Sheriff is coming.” I saw Elias sprint to the wall. Intoning some sort of chant. It opened up to reveal ancient leathers. He donned them, “Today we shall fight. The future is counting on us!” I wasn’t surprised that they were a mix of muted yellows, greens and browns. He took out his iconic cap. Complete with a red feather. The only modern thing to his mix was his dynamo mask. His bow gleamed with magical energies. Its white and gold leaves are ingrained within the woodwork.

“Forward Merry Men and Women. We have a city to defend!”

I whirled. After a few moments, I too was dressed for battle.

“Think he will appreciate some American rebellion too?”

Elias Payne chuckled, “Indeed. Let’s go show that Sheriff a proper welcome!”

Rune grinned, cracking his knuckles. “I get dibs!

Issue 15: Here

Issue 17: Here

2 comments:

  1. Somebody must have ordered the England with all the mythical trappings special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my readers wanted to see what his homeland would be like in this setting, so that's why I brought it in earlier than planned in the outline. :D

      Delete