Thursday, November 12, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: MFE B1 Issue 17

 

Issue 17: The Man Between Worlds

 

            I can feel him. The bane of my life unending. Curse you, Robin Hood. I will destroy all you love. Starting with Marion. May your arrows find no purchase Theif!—The Sheriff.

            The way I hear it, the Sheriff sold his soul to the Devil himself. The hounds of hell nipping at his feet. Eating the hearts of his enemies.—Dr. Zanzibar.

            Live from London: Robin Hood and the Star-Spangled Banner! They have pushed the Sheriff into the Thames itself, this reporter hopes the shielding will hold! Who is this with the lovely Doctor Impossible. A rather imposing figure in gold and white. Alongside a bull of a man. What powers do those cerulean marks contain?!—London INet News.

            Bel had a dangerous weapon. One made to mimic some of Excalibur’s function and form but it was not the true blade. It still managed to pierce my skin though. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Doc so angry. Surprised Bel didn’t fly up into the Oort Cloud with that hit. Most think Lorain only heals things. Her powers can do a whole lot more. I saw that within the waterways that day. Plus there were some more added benefits later. —Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

 


 

            The Sheriff charged. His red hot woodsman's ax narrowly missing Robin’s head. It was marked with ancient runes. I could sense each weapon repelling each other. A red shaft few past my head to hit Nottingham in the shoulder. He bellowed. Rage carrying him across the water. He could glide and that wasn’t good at all. Di’ax intoned something that set my teeth rattling. He raised his father’s sword. “The lies of your soul will not avail you. It is as dead as your flesh!” I could smell brimstone. Marion flew overhead in her crow form.

Her voice hit me like a hammer, <<He brings his hounds!  Watch out!>>

            A shimmer phased in. Red hazy eyes and black ichor hit the water with a hiss.

I grabbed Doc. The jaws snapping at the space she had been in moments before. A foamy substance shot out and encased the area before us. Doc cursed. Only three shapes were caught. They howled. Their cries causing Doc to shield her ears.

“No!” Whatever was happening was terrifying Lorain.

One tear escaped. It was ruby red.

I flew upward, placing her quickly on a rooftop. “I'll clear them out!” I dived back into the fray. Di’axi shouted, “Watch out!” I could smell the sulfur. My gloves darkened with blood.

Mine.

Marion spoke, <<Dear god, you have 3 of them on each side of you.>>

I catapulted skyward.  

<<If they're hell hounds then space should put them out.>>

As  I reached the outer boundaries. The blue turning black, 6 forms finally revealed themselves, like molten lava. The orange and gray of their granite skin muted. Their crimson eyes going dark as the void cooled their inner fires. I could hear Rune’s fist connect with the Sheriff.

I placed a temp shield around the hounds. Sir Avalon had given me some just in case magical things got a bit dicey. With a thunderous sonic boom, I landed back near the Thames. I turned and took the blade directly on my palm. The copper scent surrounded me. Doc was gonna have a field day today. She tried to saw my bones straight through but the nanites from Emris kept rebuilding my muscle and bone. I clung to the sword for a moment longer. The Markav steel was etched with faintly scarlet marks. Stolen tech. I could see the labeling for the forge that made this unholy masterwork.

Mordred. This was made to poison the Wielder of the True Blade.

The sword disappeared.

Di’axi magic poured into me. Removing the poison.

His face was strained. He was the reason everyone else was able to sense the Hounds.

He waved, “Hurry!”

*****

Rune let out a battle cry and launched himself at the Sheriff. He winced as molten leaded chains wrapped around his right arm. What that bad guy didn’t know was he was quite ambidextrous with both fists. So his left curled back and he allowed the chains to carry him forward. He landed a solid hit across Nottingham’s jaw. An explosive crack filled the air. Sending him and his hounds flying backward. Their massive frames hitting the shielding protecting London’s buildings and people from harm. Robin’s arrows found the hearts of more Hell Hounds. Rune still wasn’t able to see them but their high pitched wailing said that Loxley found his marks.

Lorain Lanis shook her head to clear the cries of despair. Her head-clearing she saw something that made her scream with horror. Bel was in her Madame Mayhem outfit. Her gold and silver mask in place. The demi madwoman let out a blood-curdling shout and raised her sword on high. Bringing it down. Star caught the blade squarely in her palm. The metal hitting bone. Bel cackled, “So you can die.” Doc found herself charging Mayhem. Her fists connecting with the insane demi’s midsection. She poured her powers through, targeting Bel’s lungs and nervous system. Her mad laughter halted. The sword’s pommel brushed against Impossible’s left arm and she tumbled away. Clutching it.

Lorain bit back tears.

That metal had been acutely frigid to the touch. Even stabbing the protective layers of her uniform.

The cold embrace of the current dragged her down.

She let out a yelp as something pulled her from the water.

*****

White was seething.

She wanted to unleash herself against this tidal wave but had to remain hidden. I narrowed my gaze. Seeing a fuzzy outline. 10 hell hounds were chasing Doc and Bel. As I saw Lorain tumble to the side and sink into the water I dived in after her.

I exploded to the surface. Lorain was coughing. Her lips turning blue. Di’axi teleported next to me. Pressing a finger to Lorain’s forehead. Color returned to her face.

She awoke with a start and a surge of healing spread over me.

Marion landed on my shoulder, “I will follow Bel. Tell Robin to lead the Sheriff to the Bailey. He will know what that means!” She took off. Dozens upon dozens of crows following in her wake.

I commed Robin, <<Birdy says to lead him to the Bailey.>>

I took in a giant breath. No presence of Hounds.

They were all after Bel. Or rather: Her cursed sword.

The Sheriff whipped his chains around. They were an extension of his body. He had a   black-furred cape along with branded leathers. I had Doc in one arm, dodged the magick metals, and scooped up Robin with my other hand. He sent the coordinates. Rune bounded into the air. He could glide too. Energy poured from his boots, keeping him stable. Di’axi created light constructs to run alongside us. Cooper’s voice broke in, <<Do not worry Star, the Corgis and I are tracking the other player in the game. The Morrigan asked us!>>

I asked Robin, “What else doe this guy got?”

He replied, “His steed. Wreathed in flame.”

*****

            Bel sprinted down the side streets of London. Her testing of Excalibur was beyond her wildest dreams. The legends had been just that. This was no holy relic but a blade made for slaughter. She would plunge it deep within Thoth’s chest. First, she would have to escape her pursuers. Ghostly fingers pulled at her hair. Rubbed her shoulders in a disturbingly intimate way. The sword’s sweet tenor exclaimed, <<Hello my sweet. It has been so long since I tasted the pulse of life. It would seem the Sheriff wants me. Let’s not part. I sense greatness in you.>>

            The streets warped. Each cobblestone forming dead leaves that crunched underfoot.

            As Bel reached for the gate, the vines encircled her legs and arms. Pulling her in.

*****

            The Morrigan called out to Marion, “The Shade that Dwells within has Bel. We will not be able to find her while in that fallen realm. Join Robin at the Baliey. He will need your warding magics.”

            Marion whirled, using the winds to buffet her. The Morrigan’s crows following. Their eyes spying the chase that Cooper and the Cogris were leading the dark steed on. The Bardaxian was herding it towards much less populated areas. Nipping at its hooves and using Defender energy arrays to corral its flames. Already INet was exploding with the news.

            The Golden Redeemers ring True for London! God preserve the King and Robin Hood.

            Most didn’t know that Elias was both. Like a certain Eliza Murphy.

            She could see the Baliey now. It was housed within the heart of Westminster Abbey. A gateway to the Weave that would augment her powers. Alongside Di’axi and Robin. But it would also help Nottingham as well. It was a calculated risk to keep the more potent magic away from innocents. Fog exploded everywhere and they entered the Weave. The magical links of the Bailey closing about them with a solid wave of sound. She dived, her form shifting as she landed. Emerald K-9 and the Corgis were circling a fearsome steed made of flame and shadow.

****

            Augustus dodged the heavy hooves of the stallion. He didn’t have his friend’s powers but he could distract the enemy. The others had sped off to find Star and Robin. Cooper bared his fangs. Forming jade ropes that encircled the horse. The Bardaxian barked fiercely, <<My bonds won't last much longer!>> Augustus moved outside the range of the piercing hooves. He put his nose in the air. He found the aroma of the nice lady.

He trotted over to Robin’s mate, <<What do we do?>> She pointed at the lake of gold shimmering where the Church should be in the physical world. “Emerald! Pour the water s of the Lake upon the cursed mount!”

            He formed a giant watering pot over the lake, taking in the water, then golden rains drenched the horse and the lands surrounding them. In the distance, he could hear the Sheriff cursing. It reared and faded. Bright orange flowers rose from the landscape touched by the healing waters of the lake. No, not just rejuvenation. It had a bright aura. It pierced the darkness.

*****

            I caught the shaft of the wood ax.

My hands still healing from the touch of Mordred’s sword.

            Luckily for me, it wasn’t the part that was enchanted.

The magic was within the ax’s blade. I headbutted the Sheriff and he went tumbling 20 feet or more. Getting caught in some sort of brambles. The fog wasn’t as thick here. I saw Robin’s dogs running full tilt towards us. Nottingham raised a warhorn, its sound warping the air around it. His horse appeared. Robin fired more arrows. Finding more Hellhounds. Teeth marks formed on my left bicep. I grasped the hellhound and flung it at its master. It yelped as it crashed headfirst into the Sheriff but he still maintained his seat. His laughter reverberated around the forest. Golden leaves turning pitch black.

            “Foolish to run here Loxley.” I grabbed Doc and Robin. Rune gathered up all the King’s corgis and we bounded upwards. At points, I had to use my dark matter sight to burn some of the vines that tried to capture us. Somehow he was able to twist the landscape. Rune was muttering magical incantations so fast that even I couldn’t keep up.

            Below us, with a thunderous strike, I could hear the canter of the steed. Robin pointed, “There!” We landed slightly ahead. Emerald had constructed a line of Terran Alliance hover tanks. Filled with golden liquid. He commanded us, <<Quickely!  Behind the firing line!>> As Nottingham emerged from the forest, no matter where he was at things warped to a black and withered landscape, his nightmare horse reared and balked. Shying away from the constant barrage of water.

            Emerald K-9 barked aggressively, << It is not the strength of the body that counts but the spirit! YOU HAVE NONE!>>

            Little John, alongside Augustus and the other Corgis, barked in unison.

            Auggie joined in, <<We are brave and true! Your Longface tastes nasty!>>

The dark outline faded.

Robin saluted Cooper. “Well done! You’d make an excellent knight!”

Doc dragged me over to the Lake and kicked me in. I was so shocked that I had no time to react. Sparks of black smoke leaked out of my eyes, ears, and the remaining gashes on my hands and arms. Along with all the various bite marks. Even my suit was knitting back together. A woman, more of a specter really, appeared next to me. Her lips moved but the sound was within me.

 Welcome Herald of the White. My Lady of Avalon’s Eternal Spring awaits you.

She pressed a spectral hand against my head. I knew where I had to go.

It was said that the Lady of the Lake had three emissaries. From what Sir Avalon told me. Considering what he was, this wasn’t much of a shock. Nimue, the First Star of Morning. Mab, the Weaver. With the youngest being Vivienne, the  Seeker.

The Spectral woman weaved herself around me.

The currents flowing as if she was a part of them.

I can see why she loves you.

The waters flowed inside me through my mouth. I wasn’t too worried.

White poked my brain with concern.

Just because you don’t need to breathe doesn’t mean it's safe you corn hucking….

The fae water sprite giggled.

Muted barking hit my senses. Cooper had his head below the waterline. His sound was being carried via encapsulated green energies. The water spirit, who planted a kiss on my forehead left with one final message.

The White has good sense. But you should also share your optimism with her. A balance must be achieved if you are to beat the Unity.

With that Mab faded. The waters rushing to fill the space she just vacated.

*****

            Cathrine Bel gawked at the mighty fortress before her. Obsidian Armor with ghostly eyes followed her every footstep as she approached. Her sword was humming a happy tune. She found herself keeping in step with the music. Ghostly fingers tugging at her hair with a playful teasing. The sigils upon the blade hummed. <<Do you like this place my pet? It will suit us well. Inside you will find all you shall ever need. But be warned. To awaken this place we need more blood. Will you find it for us dear one?>>

            Bel nodded. Her eyes glazed over. A dreamy smile tugged at her lips. This would be perfect. Thoth’s hideout was a pale reflection of true power. Tech had its uses but there was something that crossed every boundary.

            Magic.

Life and death had no meaning here. Just pure power.

She ran a hand across the door knocker. Fashioned as a gargoyle’s head with roses sticking out of its mouth. The thorns bit into her flesh. Lapping up her blood. The metal doorway swung inward. Madame Mayhem pulled off her mask. As it fell to the ground the gold and silver faded. It reformed. No longer the half-smile and frown but a simple stark white.

            No eyes or mouth. Just a solid oval. Shadowed fingers plucked at it and carried it. The sword whispered, <<Sit. Eat. Relax. You are home dear child.>>

            Bel nodded. “Home. A wonderful place for a Bride of Chronos.”

Next to a massive fireplace were two leather-bound seating chairs.

As she sat it molded to her form.

Her blade took on a rather conspiratorial tone, <<A bride needs a proper dress. A good dowry for your husband yes??>>

“Yes. I want that.”

It made so much sense. Why hadn’t she prepared things properly?

Within the depths, two figures moved slightly. The living stone of their bodies cracked.

They had missed out on the first few assaults. Which was no fun at all. Thoth was a mere child when it came to summoning the firepits of creation. Yes, they would see the world of many worlds burn. Not even death itself could prevent all this. Slowly their eyes opened. A mere fraction. It was enough. They could see it. Unity was a means to an end.

Even they were living on borrowed time.

So why not have fun?

*****

            Lorain finally sat back. After she had reached out to push Eliza into the shining golden waters, she waited as Cooper barked into the lake. His head was fully submerged with a slight green glow. His black tail was wagging furiously. He raised himself up out of the water and pranced in circles around Doc. <<Star is healed! No more bad magic inside! Very good water. You should drink too.>> She scratched his chin and carefully placed each Corgi in for a dip. Auggie’s little legs went turbo. His nub of a tail making waves.

            Robin was drinking the rejuvenation from a flask. He grinned at Di’axi, “It's been a while since I saw you in that getup. I hope you will be able to join us more often.” The Scholar inclined his head. “Soon enough. The time for hiding will end.” Star  broke the surface. Her feet hovering slightly off the ground as she settled in next to Lorain. Rune was collecting the water as spheres around his head. His face was serene.  

Doc spoke, her tone was frayed. Her fear simmered under the surface.

 “So why bring us to this Bailey, and what is it?” Robin Hood knew why she was on edge. Usually, she was used to fighting things that could hurt people but not affect Star as much. It had unsettled her to a great degree. Marion shot him a pointed look. He spoke, his voice gentle,

“Because some places on Earth are filled with magic more potent than any of the best tech. Some are easier to access due to the Weave being more malleable shall we say.” He waited. Seeing Eliza wrap an arm around Doc to provide some comfort.

He continued, “The Bailey isn’t an actual location but a code word. Within this mini realm of magic wrapped within the Weave, we can use it to combat people like Nottingham. It's a double-edged sword though. Since he can wield foul hexes as well.”

*****

            I leaned in to give her a half-hug. She stiffened for a moment then returned it. “It’s not like we were without some magical know-how of our own. I don’t know if I can really use it but Project Barracuda made sure I’d be darn well versed in some basic defense. It's why I used my body to shield you all from the blade’s first burst of poison. Even compromised my body can heal it faster.”

            Her frown deepened, “I know. It’s just….”

She shuddered and I pulled her into a full embrace. I continued, “I know it didn’t look like it with the chaos of the battle but Marion and Rune were running counterspells to negate a whole lot of bad things from that Sheriff. Along with those Hounds. “ I jerked a thumb at Di’axi, “Plus he’s the reason why we could detect those 4 footed lava beasts in the first place.”  Lorain’s hands balled into fists on my chest. I looked down to see her shuddering. Based on her emotions she was having a panic attack. I had never seen that happen before. But then again, other than the experience with those magical disks vs my heart. I had never been in as much direct physical danger.

            I floated higher into the air to give Doc some downtime.

Rested my chin on the crown of her head.

I didn’t have to be an empath to know she was sobbing.

*****

            Rune glanced skyward for a moment.

Stating, “If that blade had cut anyone else besides Star, we’d have to live in this golden lake for a month.” Robin agreed, “It is the dark twin to Excalibur. Made for only one thing: consumption. Like Unity itself. “

Rune glanced at the Scholar, “You know you guys helped out a whole ton against the Calamity, as Unity was known in my universe, to the point that’s what tipped the scales in our favor. You guys even made my Star’s belt. Scholar tech Defender action!”

Di’axi smiled. His reply was muted but joyful, “Good! But just to let you know: The White of this universe is a bit different.” Rune’s head whipped to Eliza again.

“What’s it made from? Magic? Tech? Both?”

The young man’s eyes grew wide, “Gods?”

The Scholar merely said, “Convergence. The Black and White just are.”

Rune shook his head. “So not homegrown as it were.”

Di’axi shrugged, “It is not my place to say.”

Rune’s perplexed face made Marion giggle. She added, “This is why visitors end up with Sir Avalon. So many things can be similar but in practice, we have found even small differences have a great impact. Much like those fists of yours Sir Rune.”

A bright grin split his face in two.

“I like the sound of that!”

He couldn’t wait to tell his friends back home about this adventure.

He wondered how his Eliza would take it all in.

*****

            We rejoined the others. The white trunks of the trees were back to normal. As far as this place went. Each of the leaves was a bright red, gold, or green in some places. Doc had taken some of the healing waters. I imagine she would have been tempted to fill the Jupiter Rising to the bursting point. The King waved me over. I whistled for Cooper and Auggie, “Keep a watch out ok?” They knew what I meant. They hurried to walk next to Lorain. She picked Augustus up and hugged him to her chest.

            Elias opened with, “Thanks for taking some of those hits. I know you can’t feel the impacts for now but I know you were doing your best to mitigate damage. I’ve seen the test results within the Legion simulations. You’d have one hell of a right hook if you deployed it.”

            I rubbed my neck. My face heated. “No worries! Happy to assist!”

            His grey eyes shone like steel even under this cheery light.

            “For our sakes, I hope you never really have to cut loose. If you do, make that punch count! You understand me?”

I gulped.

            “Yes sir!” I very nearly came to attention.

            He grinned. Clapped me on the shoulder. “Let’s go get our drink on. You all deserve it. Even you Mr. Rune. 19 is perfectly fine for London.”

A dense fog rolled in and we found ourselves within the Westminster Abbey. Most people didn’t even bat an eye. I thought this odd until I saw the flags and heraldry hanging on the doors and various fixtures. The Lionhearted Brigade.

The various practitioners made that same salute.

The King reciprocated, “The Wall Endures.”

*****

            As we arrived back at New Ashbury my parents greeted us. Q’vera was there as well. Gulliver stuck his beak into another bag, making off with some of the chocolates, quacking cheerfully.

Mom was flabbergasted by all the added packages until I explained they were for a certain Admiral.

            >>I return bringing all the various teas of the British Isles.<<

            She put a hand over her mouth, >>After the week she’s had I’ll have to send these personally. Find anything else fun?<<

            I pulled out a dagger, it was engraved with some special additions, according to Marion. I handed it to mom. I gave its twin to my father. His eyes nearly bulged out of his head. “Jen, keep that with you at all times. Even by the nightstand. Good lord.” I could see the vague outline of Anubis and the others within Ta’mathon’s group standing behind Dad. Ra was motioning to Anubis, I knew it! Pay up, brother! I knew that cagey knave had them!

            I wasn’t very shocked by the number of weapons on both my parents. Mom even had some additional sheaths for other kinds of blades within her jacket.

            My aunt smirked. “Oh yeah. That will keep the old lady happy for a few months!”

            I replied, “Well I have Britain's finest on speed dial.”

            A crow landed on my head.

It tugged on my NASA cap for a moment. Winked and flew off.

Looked like the Morrigan was going to keep tabs on us too.

Lorain was the last to disembark. Her luggage train was even more impressive.

She smiled shyly at me and turned away suddenly. Marion had whisked Doc away on some sort of secret mission. Robin had just smiled, “No worries. My Marion is an excellent judge of character and interests. You will find that she is well versed in curious things. Let her work some magic with your dear Doctor.” He had handed me some more of that curious magic laced beverage and I had let myself wander the streets of London for a while. Just taking it all in before the next crisis. Cooper had walked beside me. Gaining many different pats from various onlookers. He didn’t have to say a word. He negotiated with head tilts and people melted.

As we drove home, my eyes kept wandering to the shoreline of Mitchel Bay. So many people were out yachting.  I could hear the pulse of my city. My planet and the various voices beyond that. White’s voice was a soothing tone within the depths of my mind.

The mirror will light your path.

Avalon (The Water Line)

Within the Weave

Time Uknown

           

Eliza Elizabeth Lanis waited.

Her United Earth Front uniform was impeccable.

She still wore her Union military loadout ever so often. But that would give away too much about the possible future for this universe so she went old style. The golden eagles were the favorite part of the ensemble. Her husband would be ever so excited when she returned home. It had been a wild 30+ years now. The Ur Stone was very precise though. Timing the shifts in the Weave just so. That way each visit to the primary universe didn’t disrupt her usual responsibilities as much. She missed her children as well but if they didn’t help this universe, theirs would suffer the consequences.

So it was a sacrifice she was willing to make.

Her husband didn’t have any special powers like the Lanis of this universe.

But that didn’t matter. He was an able father and devoted mate.

She was able to do things that Eliza Primary would never get to do.

So she had to make all of this count.

The Lady of the Lake cradled a sleeping boy of no greater than 7 summers in her arms. His blond hair was tousled. His normally brown eyes closed with the relaxed movements of deep sleep. All around them the echoes of the Ouroborous Chain shimmered with the lights of trillions of souls. Those who were. Those who are and those who would exist. The old Terran-Typherian grinned as she saw her universe reflected within those depths. They had preserved their sector. Now she would help the primary universe. If it managed to kill off Unity for good, its shades within other multiverses would wither and die.

Eliza spoke, her Typherian mind voice ringing clear, >>By Blood and Bone, We Rise Together! << She felt her children respond.

Louis Lanis sent his message as well.

Her eyes gleamed as she caught the undercurrent.

All the more reason to fight.

She had one hell of a man to get home to.

Issue 16: Here

Issue 18: Here

2 comments:

  1. Mystical healing waters brought about by the Weave and can re-seed life in corrupted areas. Yeah we really do have similar ideas on the Weave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dreaming is a mystical realm of between Wake and what most know as Reality. Spirits and other things reside there. While the Weave? Its the deeper layer. Older entities live there.

      From a primordial era. Which will be explored even more. The Dreaming is the gauntlet between Normal Space and The Weave Space.

      Delete