Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: MFE B1 Issue 24

 

Issue 24: Avalon

 

                Taleer gave me further reports about the BSL Starjumper. It would have been beyond repair or restoration if it wasn’t for the few Markav Probes and human magic that added to the preservation. Seeing how it went well beyond 1000 years mentioned by the captain. For a while, it was considered a holy prayer site before someone used some Magic to encase it in a field and drop it into the protective currents of the ocean.—From the Archive of Jupiter Rising. Encoded for Protection.

            I don’t know what will happen when Eliza travels to Avalon but I try not to worry. But I can’t help it. Why must she go alone? Di’axi won’t say anything but I have a feeling he’s wrestling with something very personal for the moment. At least his talks with Dexter are getting better. Beyond a simple hello. Or strained silence. Whatever her brother saw there within the Graveyard of Unity opened him up to understanding our Scholar companion a bit more.—Lorain Lanis.

            Avalon. That place had some answers. The thing is: even now, I don’t feel like I have a good understanding of anything Multiversal related. That’s more of my brother’s arena. No, for me: The Truth was stranger than fiction. To know that so many things coalesced around your birth is one thing. To realize just how heavy the weight was? Well as Grandpa Murphy would say. “God gives you the strength you need to lift yourself. Big shoulders help you lift others.  When the footsteps disappear that’s God lifting you when you need it.”—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

The Tower of London

The Weave

January 1st, 2104

 

                Within the Weave, I faced the Altar of the Morrigan. Trying to center my mind before removing Excalibur. The ivory pommel had a Lion at the end. With a blue gem shining within. The blade had a simple design, with two lines running up the metal, I could see the Markav words for Light and Balance etched on the surface. Water dripped throughout the cavernous space. The rocks soaked through my jeans as I dropped to my knees. A white haze filled the air. The sword sang out, <<Through the Weave of Space And Time. Carry me to Avalon.>> Water filled my lungs. The sword was strapped to my Defender Belt. I broke the surface. The stars were twinkling brightly. Almost painfully clear against the black of night. I swam for the shore. My eyes picking up an island of white and silver. As I reached the beach a woman with a shimmering silver dress smiled.

            “Welcome Bearer. Your mirror awaits.”

            Queen Guinevere.

            Beyond her, I could see a simple gazebo with three chairs. One was filled. The woman stood. Gave a formal bow, “By Blood and Bone, we Rise Forever.” Her eyes were gray. With the Black of Typha around them. Her uniform was dark green. With two golden eagles on the shoulders. A black sash completed the uniform. She wore no military cap or cover. Her hair was as dark as Lorain’s.

            She raised a black-gloved hand, “To understand the future one must understand the past. I will show you.” She placed her hand along the back of my neck. Her eyes bleeding through to a milky white for a split second. I could see her memory play out within that connection.

Utasa Sector (UEF Universe)

The Nul-Station Prisonhouse

Date Redacted

           

Captain Eliza Oddessen held her sidearm up.  Her steely gray eyes were unwavering. Each beat of her heart reminded her of her injury. Thoth was cackling. She growled, “By the order of the Throne and the Alliance of Many, you are under arrest for the highest crimes against sapients.” She fired, the beams dissipating as the mad king giggled. “I will find a world much more suited to my talents.” He had a Keeper multi-phase transversal pod clamping down on his forearm. Blood dripped upon the deck as the Weave encased him and pulled him from their universe. Her father, T’homus Odessen ordered his troops, >>Track that signal. Find out where he jumped too. Quickly now!<<

She whirled. Holding her mother in place as General Jennifer Murphy had murder in her eyes. Flashes of lightning rippled under her specialized uniform. Eliza winced at the demi power flowed outward. Jennifer’s expression changed. Her voice was controlled but furious, “Sorry kiddo.” Jennifer slapped a healing nanite pod within her daughter’s injured side. Eliza grimaced. That didn’t stop the fiery American from continuing her tirade.

“ Why did you stop me? I could have short-circuited his device!” The younger woman pointed at the floor. Jennifer’s eyes narrowed. She could see it now. The poison of Unity. His very blood was a conduit. Murphy half hugged her daughter. If she had stepped into that space to deactivate the item her brain would have been mush.

Odessen strode towards his wife, “I know. Believe me.” He kissed her on the crown of her head. Thoth had broken out of the prison made specifically for him. What troubled T’homus the most was: who helped him?

 They had round the clock surveillance.

How did he manage it? His daughter eyed him.

“Father, I cased the area. An echo came back. Somehow Thoth managed to gain access to the outside. Via the First Turning corruption. Someone gave him something from Unity’s domain. The imprint was of animal origin.” She held up a hand and put one on each of her parent’s shoulders.

Giving them access to her senses of clairvoyance.

Her mother muttered, “The Piper.”

*****

            My face turned grim, “No wonder he felt so guilty. But the Piper wasn’t completely at fault.” Odessen nodded. “True but that still doesn't absolve him of his actions. He was a Scholar from our universe. He thought he could resist the corruption of Unity. SO he went to its home universe.”

            I shuddered, remembering what was there. Odessen’s eyes widened as she caught some of my memories. “Rulers, utter insanity. Your brother was right to fear that place as well. Even the Black doesn't have overall dominion within that cursed Weave.” I asked bluntly,  “So why did I have to come here by myself?”

            She rubbed her eyebrow. “I have to apologize. I had to impersonate you while the Ur-Stone was transferring hidden memories and techniques to you.” I frowned, “Why?”

She paced around the small space. Choosing her words carefully.

            They still twisted within my chest like a knife through butter.

            “Because to defeat Unity, the final strike will kill you. There is no way around that. I pretended to be you of a “future” alignment to alleviate fears.” White lashed out, <<There is always a way! I WILL FIND IT!>> I held the silky material in my hands. She was pulsating wildly. Her outraged keening hitting me at the very core.

            The questions left me before I could stop them.

            “Is that why you had to change my body?”

            “Why my brother had to endure so much pain?”

            “For all to live I must die?”

            Odessen continued, “Indeed. For the Multiverse to live, the White Host of the Eden must fall.”

            White hissed, <<I WILL NOT SACRIFICE MORE CHILDREN!>>

            Queen Guinevere interceded, “There may be an alternative. It will require much preparation.” She touched my belt. Murmuring something I couldn’t hear. Even with enhanced senses. She turned to me, “Magic can bridge certain realms but your universe has one that can provide an even bigger conduit. The Orb of Ta’mathon. Eden is the source of all magic across the multiverse.”

            A strange buzzing shot through my brain.

A man in odd clothing appeared. The Queen and Odessen were frozen.

He bowed and exclaimed,” Greetings from A Citizen of the 42nd century. I was given this message to give to you! Just like Captain Cosmos and the Time Weavers! You said you would get that reference. I don’t watch ancient vids much. “ I floated and then took a sitting position.

            “Isn’t there some time travel rules?”

He grinned, “Oh yes! I can only observe.”

He winked.

            Gesturing wildly as he “dropped” a simple paper into my hands.

            I heard someone say, “Which historical temporal stream are you watching? Oh, man! Star at Avalon. Yeah, that’s a big oof for me too….”

            He phased out like he never existed. But the area around me was still paused.

            I picked it up. It was my handwriting. Without a doubt.

I even scanned it dozens of times.

            Dear Me,

            By this time, Odessen Version You probably dropped that bomb and White is going on a tirade. We can’t change certain flows but we can go in-between if you get my drift. Captain Cosmos and the Fountains of Forever. The big brains of the 42nd century of Edenverse would love to exist. I can’t tell you when you will write this letter but I can leave some breadcrumbs. Every light counts. Keep telling White that. Especially after you Awaken. Make connections. Keep going. Death is not the end. It is a doorway we must cross.

            Sincerely Me,

            PS: When Lorain says, “You're Crazy.” Kiss her. That will leave an impression that will get the ball rolling. Trust me. Even if you feel like the Universe’s biggest dork, do it.

            This letter will self destruct in…..

Just kidding.

Don’t say anything. The Temporal Board would have kittens.

If you thought Uplift Memory Shrouding was fierce, this stuff would get many people in trouble. But it's what they call the Murphy Loop Clause. IT wasn’t named after us, more influenced by Murphy’s Law.

The paper phased out soon after.

After a few more heartbeats, time resumed, they were unaware of what just happened.

            White expanded. Swirling around me. Then she nearly encircled my whole body.

            Her sadness was palpable. I nudged her with my empath muscles. Beaming happy thoughts at her. She eventually uncoiled and went back to normal size. I patted her a bit. Realizing she was still ticked off but allowing Odessen to continue.

            “I have asked our current guardian of the Throne to keep looking. We may yet find a way to prevent your death but I thought it better to give you the news straight up. Otherwise, Di’axi and your universe’s grandparents would sit on it forever.”

            That explained a whole lot.

            No wonder Diamonds was so tight-lipped around mother.

They wanted to find a way for me to get out from under after slaying the dragon. That letter’s wording gave me hope though. In-between. That kept sticking out at me. Like magic. There must be something to all that. Connect all the lights. White burrowed through my chest, taking out Excalibur. <<Tell me, what else can humans inflict upon me, besides pain.>>

He didn’t respond for a while.

His voice was gentle, <<There is joy as well. I find no pleasure in remembering each incarnation’s death.>>

            So even if Arthur was the first, he always came back, ready to be the Wielder Across Time. Even if it was with a different body and mind. The spirit remained. Odessen grabbed the hilt, holding the blade above her, letting the moonlight shine down upon it like a lighthouse at the end of time. Her voice was clogged with emotion, “If you do this, you will not only save your family but mine as well. If Eden falls to the enemy, none of our universes will be safe.”

            I saw the wedding ring through her glove. It had an engraving. “For the only woman that matters—LL”

            I managed to say, “Do you have children then?” She nodded.

            “Is Lanis human too?”

            Odessen replied, “Yes. Louis has given me 5 healthy children. 4 boys and 1 girl. All of them smarter than me.” She saw me flinch. With more speed than I realized she had, she scooped me up in a bear hug that nearly outdid my own father’s exploits. I found myself returning the embrace. “I know I can’t ever give Lorain children. Even artificially but does that hold her back somehow?”

            Odessen faced me squarely. She poked my chest for emphasis. “IF there’s one constant it's who we end up with. No matter what. It would kill your Lanis inside if you gave up because of that hurdle.”

            Her lips quirked as she added, “Family is more than blood.”

            White chuckled, <<I’d say go on babysitting duty when your siblings show up.>>

            I let out a hearty laugh, “I plan to.”

            That seemed to perk all of them up. Including the Lady of the Lake. She giggled and took our hands. Leading us to a body of water that had a simple fixture at the center. Rocks would rise as we stepped across the threshold until the artifact that housed Excalibur rose before us. Its Markav markings plain. Mixed with old Earth languages. I placed the sword on the pedestal and watched as the force fields encased it. His voice echoed outward, <<So enthroned until the next Wielder comes. Summoned by Water, Iron, and Flame.>>

            Odessen wasn’t quite done yet.

The area shifted and we were resting upon an old-style gladiator ring. The moon was shining full in the sky. The Queen threw us some spears. Without warning, Odessen moved in. I found myself weighed down. Moving at normal speeds. I could see magical markers keeping me in check. Each strike reverberated through my bones. The movements became familiar. Each mighty strike awakening a muscle memory. I realized that the Ur-Stone was slipping into my thoughts. More and more reflexes and motion assaulted my senses. As everything else faded but the continuing hum of metal upon metal.

            My vision swam.

            One phrase kept surfacing.

            Wield his spear.

            The rain of blows finally abated.

Odessen was grinning from ear to ear. “This will surprise the Typherians of your universe. Keep this in reserve for a while. Granted, the pike is slightly different in your universe but it is a style taught only to House Odessen. It will be seen as a great honor to many when you set foot there.”

She added, “When you greet Y’lansa for the first time as you truly are. As a child of Earth and Typha, say this: The Void carried me far from home but I return this Pike to you.” She handed me a blue cylinder. She made a shaking motion and it reformed. Into a pike with an energy blade at its tip. “This was wielded by her mother. Who fell battling the Void Walkers. Preventing them entry into my home universe. Give her these as well.” It was personal effects. I nodded, “I promise.”

She added, “Only after your other identity is revealed. The Typherian one. Soon your mother will tell you your dual name. Protect Earth first.”

She handed me one more thing: A small silver coin that White immediately plucked from my fingers. White said, <<I’ll hold that.>> Odessen said dryly, “That is for when you finally have Thoth within your grasp. He is from my universe so must be brought back for trial. Use that to summon me. It might bring my parents as well.”

Kent (England)

Ashford

January 2nd, 2104

 

Arthur Evans Oakfield waved to his neighbors.

His massive Great Dane trotting alongside him. He was fairly sturdy. Solid six feet. Built like a professional rugby player. His hazel eyes drinking in the sights and smells. His dirty blond hair was in disarray. This place filled his heart with joy. Unlike modern areas of his great isle, this place still held a rustic charm. Reminded him of Old London. Everyone knew everyone else within his township. He ambled up to the local pub and smiled at the barkeep. “Any news on the telly? Besides the same “OH MY! ALIENS!” He was happy for the people of Earth of course but lately troubling dreams had been inserting themselves.

Stone monsters with ruby-hued eyes. A madman with the grin of a devil. It didn't sit well with him at all. Robert, his Dane, growled low in his throat. His body was stiff as he gazed at the bird. It was a ratty little pigeon with beady eyes. Arthur patted his dog on the head. “Easy now. You can chase off those flying nuisances later. I promise.” The tail thumped on the floorboards. Then stilled as another man entered. His white coat bunched up around him. Eyes like lodestones gleamed dully as they scanned the room. He then shuffled to a corner and by the angle of his head, it looked like he was accessing his INet connection.

Robert continued to stare.

He placed a paw on Authur’s arm. Then continued to observe the unknown man. That one’s scent wasn’t the usual of this sleepy town. The dog was certain. He had made a promise. To safeguard his human from the Endless Night. That ghostly white coat had the stink of living stone about him. He worked with the enemy.  The pigeon was just an annoyance to bark at.

The Great Dane sent a prayer to the Weave.

Hoping that it would answer and send guidance.

A crow ousted the pigeon from its roost. It examined the dog.

Tap. Tap Tap Tap.

The Great Dane raised a paw. The other patrons thought he was doing a trick.

The crow cawed and dashed off. Its cries filling the air.

He nosed Arthur again. Laying his head on the human’s arm.

Arthur grinned, “Yes. I will get you some sausages. Spoiled rotten you are.”

*****

The individual continued to examine the target with hooded eyes.

The Spirits bellowed and hung around the British man like a second skin. Here was one touched by fate. The Great Dane by his side would be a problem. Many such dogs were eerily prescient. He linked to his master. The sigil of Set burned on his chest. They would have to move soon. Already so many different forces were gathering. He would be on the winning side in the upcoming war.

The spirits said so. Their chains rattled in his ears.

Singing sweet songs as he continued his holy work.

Many would serve Unity. Willing or otherwise.

 

Issue 23: Here

Issue 25 : Here

2 comments:

  1. So Avalon is in the Weave and the whole King in the Mountain is just code for Arthur reincarnation. Nice use of the legends as cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. The legend angles as various covers? Loved that aspect from SG1 so I wanted it for my serials as well.

    ReplyDelete