Sunday, February 14, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: TB Issue 18

 

 

Issue 18: Company of One

 

            So that’s where Charmer went off to. Interesting. Honestly, Thoth is far too interested in just destroying Earth. I’ll avoid the Apple this Set is offering. But this new avenue of employment? Oh yes. This Zygotic Expanse is a delight. —Karvax

            While Black and White didn’t realize that Hilary Brookes had Set’s blood within her, I asked Isis to watch over Eliza. To give her more magical aid. There is much technology in this world but it was the prayers of Poppi and the Howling that saved her life. She’s immune to so much that we forget that her true potential is still locked away.—Thomas Murphy

            To say my mother was upset would be the understatement of the century.—Dexter Murphy

            I spent the next 2 days under the intensive care of medlab and one very concerned Lorain. White ‘s endless apologies rumbling around in my head. How could she have known until I punched Hilary? Silver lining? We got something of his that sent Project Osiris and Barracuda on the warpath. Set was a mysterious element. Even Ta’mathon only knew the basics. Often battling against agents sent to invade the Golden City. If Dexter and I were the hosts for our Defender Belts, Set, as I understand it now was the equivalent for Unity. Actively searching for Edenverse.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

Alpha Century

Outer Sector (Trinity City)

February 12th, 2104

           

Bright Eyes sniffed the air.

The mutated raptor skin gleamed with the early morning dew.

His enormous form cloaked to everyone but Karvax.

This world was nearly completed. Karvax followed Striker Nix’s representative deeper into the old terraforming complex. Most of it had been removed with its original mission done. Like his pirate boss, the smaller figure was a four-armed mottled brown alien with eyestalks. The former Cabal member didn’t care to know the thing’s name. It was irrelevant.

He opened his arms wide, “Arkesh, you slimy bastard!”

Snake Charmer waved the towering brute of a demi inside. “I have a new job offer for you. Worry not, should you decline we have a procured Terran Alliance shuttle on standby.”

Bright Eyes croaked deep within its throat. The alien’s stalks swiveled nervously.  Karvax smiled,  “Want to hear about your sister or Bel first? Both are quite excitable these days.” The former muthra shrugged, “If I had to guess, both will probably die here within the heart of the Alliance. They all left me to rot within that prison. My sister and Thoth most of all. No, my friend, I have a job offer. One that is far more lucrative.”

*****

            The Hanged Man muttered and rocked feverishly. They were orbiting a distant star. This pirate fleet had ideas. Such disastrous ideas. They wanted to pillage Earth. The mind will wander yes. On paths, many didn’t realize existed.  But he could feel it. It was still searching. That which was him. That which was hidden. That which was cursed. Only a little longer. Flashes of an old life tormented him. Where was she?

            Where was the woman who cried in his dreams?

            One pirate waved to the huddled form, “Why does the Captain keep that thing with us? It’s a dried-up husk of a pitiable human.” The other replied, “Something to do with this Weave Space we travel through. I dare not ask. You know how he gets with questions.”

Project Osiris Hanger Bay

Outer Pluto Launch Ring (Sol)

 

Moonlighter shook my hand. “I wish we had been able to do more.” He was nervous about Anna. I watched my parents load some more supplies on the ship. We were prepping for something big. I could feel it. The rest of my grandfather’s demi team was staying behind on Earth to monitor things. The Arcane Order was making headway with the Living Stone. Dexter would remain with Golden Bulleteer. If Thoth’s armies showed up they wanted one of us on the scene to be able to respond. With or without our belts. I knew Dexter would be better for that. If people thought the Banner was strong, I had nothing on my brother. Plus he could do Typherian matter manipulation on top of that.

Dexter poked me mentally, >>Sis, stop selling yourself short! You can act out in the open. If push comes to shove I will as well.<<<

            Lorain aimed a kick at my rear that sent me floating upwards in response.

            Her green eyes blazing, “You’ve done more than most. Stop that.”

            Moonlighter grinned, “She’s got you there Murphy. Your whole family has done things for Earth. Noted or otherwise.” Di’axi carried the recovered Markav Drone from the Unity Universe over. It was dented in places but it was online. Its yellow iris expanding, <<This unit is thankful. Will you help us? Souls are trapped. In pain.>>

I took it from Di’axi. It was half the size of Horus. Olive to boot. Yet it had recorded so much terror. I ran my hand across its casing.”Yep. We will get them out. I promise you.” As Di’axi was preparing to leave I zipped in front of him. Holding out my hand, “I have to tell you. Your father’s mind is inside the sailing ship.” He paused. The words spilling from his lips slowly.

Di’axi said, “I can feel his body but it’s not anywhere near where I can go. The influence of Earth’s Weave only goes so far. Do you know where….”

“I asked dad for the file on the Hanged Man. Matarn wants me to retrieve his body so we can go save your mother. She’s with the All-Father’s ancestral burial site.” I placed a crate near him as he sat heavily. Di’axi cradled his face in his hands.

He stood. Shaking off his doubts.

“You didn’t even hesitate to give me this information. That is the kind of world I wish this place to be. Thank you, Eliza. I will talk to my father when you come back. I have much to take care of.” With a pulse of energy, he was gone. Returned to the Void Line. 

I tended to wander off when emotion was strong. So I sympathized.

Moonlighter let out a pent up breath. “This day is just filled with revelations.”

Lorain wrapped an arm around my waist.

Adding the new Markav unit to the roster.

She asked, “What kind of name should we give him?”

*****

Anna waltzed down the platform. Each step lighter than it had been in weeks. Teddy was safely aboard. A sliver of cold air caught her attention. Poppi’s hand rested on her head. Like she was 10 again. It wasn’t a bad feeling. Made her feel safe. His rich voice reached out.

Remember to forgive.

She eyed him wearily, “Poppi, you usually say that before I get angry.”

He nodded. She squared her shoulders. Seeing the Brick with her nurse. No, that wasn’t fair. Lanis was competent as a doctor. Poppi hid a smile. “Fine! Lanis is an extraordinary healer.”

Even the Banner had some merits.

She helped save Teddy.

Poppi’s favorite Earl Gray filled her nostrils. She glanced at the demi known as Moonlighter. He was holding a cup for her. Its patterns were strikingly familiar. It was her mother’s!

Oh no. She eyed him hard.

He threw back his white hood. Removing the dynamo mask made of white material.

Anna’s knees locked.

It was too hot in here.

*****

            Lorain’s hand raised slowly.

Everything rushed in all at once. I was moving before I even realized it. Catching Anna as she fainted dead away. Moonlighter still holding that teacup. My mouth hung open. Our determined conspiracy theorist mirrored her father in many aspects. Her eyes must have been similar to her mother though. My father walked over. His slow and steady examination moving from Anna to Moonlighter. I could tell dad was talking to grandpa. White Lily’s voice crackled over the HeroNet communication net. <<Oh dear. Bullet, we have a code Birdhouse.>>

The lack of surprise caught me off guard. I asked, “My grandparents knew?”

Moonlighter held out his free hand and I shook it, “Charles Micheal Preston, and I do want to apologize. I asked them both to keep it secret. Especially from Anna. With what’s happened lately there wasn’t a good time for this.”

There was a faint trace of magic within that tea. I could smell it.

Odd. I have never been able to do that.

Isis materialized and saluted. Fist over her heart. <<Your father wants me to help you a bit there.>>

Lorain skidded to a halt. Placing a hand on Anna’s brow. “She’ll wake up sooner rather than later.” She planted a kiss on my cheek, “Nice catch.”

Teddy met me at the rear of the Jupiter. I transferred Anna to him. His arms tensed then relaxed when he noticed Moonlighter, “Finally told her huh? I was able to guess because of my demi ability. I didn’t want to say anything. Wasn’t my place.”  As he walked to the grav lifts he called back, “I'll get her prepped. Where will we go?”

I replied, “Entertainment Hall, Crew Deck.”

Mom exited the lift as Teddy entered. Her face composed.

When she got to the rest of us, “Eliza Elizabeth Murphy.”

Oh boy. Full Name was never good.

“Yes, momma?”

“Good Job!”

Moonlighter bit the inside of his cheek. “Nice to meet you finally Mrs. Murphy.”

Mom examined Moonlighter for a solid 10 seconds before saying, “Is her fire from you or your wife?”

Mr. Preston replied, “Her grandmother.”

Poppi nodded sagely.

I added, “If Anna’s that energetic, what did her grandma do for a living?”

Moonlighter responded, “Fighter Pilot.”

I accessed the INet. She was still alive and kicking. Initial prolong recipient.

Stress Tested new and improved atmo scout fighters. Moonlighter chuckled, “She doesn’t know. About my demi life. Thinks I’m an accountant for a subsidiary of NASA. Lets me get away with going off-world when I have to.”

The Markav-U drone landed on my head, <<Will this unit have a name?>>

“What kind of name do you want? Based on human culture? Yours?”

<<Undecided. This unit will abide by your choice.>>

Jupiter Rising

Crew Deck(Entertainment Hall)

           

Anna stared out at the artificial sunset.

Teddy sat next to her. Saying nothing.  Just listening to the waves lap upon the shore.

She threw a stone. It skipped along. The ripples reminding her of the turmoil rumbling within her. Her father was one of them. Working alongside the Golden Bulleteer. Of all the demis besides the Brick. Why did it have to be that one?  She turned, “Am I stupid?” Teddy did the calculations. Chances indicated he shouldn’t say anything. He focused on her lips. The odds dropped. Ok, so seduction wouldn’t be the best approach. Hugs?

Nope.

He grinned as the chance meter shined the best possible light on the situation. He grabbed her. Bridal style. Made a mad leap into the ocean before them. Her anger melted away as her husband dragged her under the waves. Reminding her of their honeymoon in Hawaii. Theodore prided himself on knocking Anna out of her moods. He knew it came from that place that touched the Weave. Ever so often he could see its threads tangling around Anna’s hands or eyes. Hopefully, this would put her in the best frame of mind to forgive her old man. Teddy knew it came from a place of fear and loss.

*****

            We all gathered in the adjoining chamber. My father loaded a program dubbed “Starlight.” It was a view of Sol and its system. Certain areas had marks listed as Weave Access Points. I used Throne Sight on the room. The magical leylines of Earth manifested as well. “Woah! The Lines overlap with those Weave points!” Dad walked over to the sun. I examined that as well and I could see the double layer of where Project Freefall’s Dyson Sphere circled it within the Weave.

            Horus entered with Markav-U 1Z9. The F.R.A.M floated over to me and sat on my head. Shrinking to a comfortable size. U did the same. Ichabod’s whiskers tickled my neck,” It's almost like you have ears like mine!” Moonlighter gave me a flask, “Drink this. I promise it will help.” It was that same tea from before. I took a swig. It was faintly minty. Isis and the others connected to Dad manifested. The Weave integrated with them on a fundamental level.

            “What is this? It's different from what Elias gave me. That just made me drunk.”

            Preston replied, “It gives you a small bit of clarity. Even if you don’t have Weave Speaker ties. With Anna, it  will untangle the many different threads she sees.”

            “Like divergent multiverses that never came to be?”

            His face was troubled. “Indeed. I do apologize for that. The Arcane Order had to hide her in much the same way White and your parents had to obfuscate your heritage.”

            Anna entered with Teddy as he finished speaking.

            Her stance rigid, “Were you ever going to tell me or wait until I was on a bigger platform to ruin my career.” Mom moved in behind dad. Burying her face into the point between the shoulder blades. On her best behavior.

            Moonlighter motioned to me to remain quiet. So I decided to use Throne Sight on Anna.

            The impressions left me breathless.

            Not only could she see into various threads of the Multiverse, without the assistance of the Throne, if she touched items from other places, she could also see the line of ownership and pinpoint people.  But since she was still just tapping into her abilities, they were tenuous at best, so I aimed an inquiry at White.

            <<Time to use the coin?>>

            White dropped that silver circle into my palm, <<Yes, bring your mirror here.>>

            Anna’s voice rose sharply, “Dad, does mom even….? No, she wouldn’t! She would tie you to a chair if she knew.” She pointed an index finger at me accusingly, “If you had your way Murphy would be your favorite. I know I’ve been a disappointment!”

            Teddy said, “How about we have a bet then. Have a coin flip!”

            Anna turned to him. “What are you going on about?”

            I flicked the coin into the air. As it landed tail side up within Odessen’s palm.

            “Ahh, I see. Hello there!” She was extremely pregnant.

            Anna growled, “Oh great. There are two of them.”

            A human man was with her. Same UEF uniform but with Lorain’s eyes and black hair.

            I brought a hoverchair over.

She sank gratefully into it.

“It's not Thoth time but I get why I am here. Andrew indicated as much.”

Louis held out his hand to Lorain, “Why hello!”

She took it, “I always wondered what it would be like to meet a mirror.” Anna stamped her foot, “Why are they here?”

            Louis winced, “She’s not blocking anything is she?”

            Eliza Odessen concurred, “Mrs. Preston-McQuire, have lots of headaches recently?”

            Anna crossed her arms, “What’s that got to do with anything?”

            Odessen replied, “Everything.” Louis gave Teddy some white gloves.

Along with a band to put around her head.

Moonlighter exclaimed, “Of course! My father and I should have realized this. We concentrated so much on hiding Anna’s power potential that we didn’t think to dampen it. Or focus it. I apologize my dear. But you are the first True Weave Speaker our Earth has had in quite a while. Those others were a pale flame compared to what you can do.”

I noticed that Odessen had black gloves. With a mirroring black band on her forehead, “Why didn’t you have that in Avalon?”

            She smiled warmly, “Because we were within the Weave itself. I am trained. So I could filter through things. My bands are black because that is uniform regulation.” She regarded Anna for a moment longer, “Alright. Let’s start with the basics.”

            She raised her arms. Fliping her hands back and forth, “These will control the sensory overload of the Weave’s messages. Letting your mind focus properly. Otherwise, you will pick up threads from other universes. Even dead ones or ones that do not exist within this timeline.”

            Odessen added, “It’s a wonder you survived this long without a stopgap. Your will must be nearly insurmountable.”

For once Anna was shocked into silence by a compliment.

My mother sputtered. Her good humor at an all-time high.

Dad turned. Holding her to his chest. “That’s not a proper name for a child!” His voice was low and controlled but a rare gleam of joy reflected there.

My mirror winked at my mother, “See? Got you to laugh!”

The All-Father’s Domain

The Zygotic Expanse

February 13th, 2104

 

Karvax dressed. The sting of the enhancements rippling across his skin. Bright Eyes had received some key upgrades as well. The next time he met the Golden Dart, things would be different. The archway slid open. Two hulking figures in green battle armor awaited him. It was time to meet the All-Mother. If she found him worthy he might get the chance to meet the main man himself. See what kind of place produces a nancy boy Typherian like that. Karvax didn’t think much of them. Mostly hardworking noble knockoffs like that Banner idiot but the nobles? Those reminded him of mob bosses from the old vids.

As he entered the main hall a stately and rather shapely woman greeted him. Decked out all in black. With a white bodysuit underneath. A razor-sharp energy whip strapped to each side of her ample hips. The eyes made him pause. All grey. From what he remembered of the reports back home these people were supposed to have some color like normal human irises. The All-Mother purred, “Well well. Welcome to the fun Earthman.”  Snake quick she reached out with some cords. Flinging him to the wall as they tightened around his body. His head immobilized.

His cheek plastered against the rough-hewn wall.

Her breath tickling his ear, “This will hurt. Endure and we will have a use for you.”

A trickle of dampness hit his ear. Digging into his skull.

He shuddered. Writhing against the bonds. His mouth opened, snarling defiance.

He would not break. Not now. Not ever.

He would kill the Golden Dart and wear his spine for a trophy.

*****

            The All-Father watched. His wife was poised to kill Karvax if the joining didn’t work. Set had created a mirror to the Intez but where those damnable creatures had ancient memory to share with their companions, these symbiotes slowly rotted the host from the inside. Eventually killing them but all the while, enhancing them. More strength, speed, and regeneration than the normal sapient. Certainly enough to kill his enemies. The Ayeer family would pay dearly for dethroning him. His family had been the primary for centuries. Guiding the Typherians with the blessings of what that cursed clan called the Lying House.

            It was their weak-willed blood that was the lie.

            He would use his mirror to weaken Earth.

            Hold it to the fire and watch V’alkor die as he stripped everything from him.

            Not with the quickness of a knife but the absolute despair of loss.

            First his daughter. Then his wife. Then his planet.

            His life saved for last.

            With the blood of his sons and their sons fueling the rebirth of Typha.

The Jupiter Rising

Crew Quarters (Officer’s Berth)

           

Anna placed a gloved hand on the bible.

            A chorus of whispers flowed around her.

            Her brow furrowed as she concentrated.

            Skin to object would be faster but she wanted to learn how to control the flow.

It had been Poppi’s. Images flashed.

            Of her father growing up. Poppi enduring the Accord War. Leading mass while his congregation was soothed by his voice. Anna realized what he had been doing now. Using his few gifts to bring solace to those who so desperately needed it. Moonlighter had given her a few personal effects. So she could learn from them. That Odessen woman had said those with the closest ties would be easiest to practice with. So Samantha had donated her brush as well.

            The door chimed, “Enter!”

            She had been expecting Teddy but it was that Typherian mother of Eliza’s.

            J’ino handed her a medical vial. It lit up on her senses akin to Christmas morning.

            She asked, “What is that?”

            The glass harder than anything Anna expected. Her HUD filled in more details. It was a piece of an umbilical cord. Perfectly preserved. No, two cords. Intertwined like vines from a tree. No bigger than her palm.

            “To remember that day. “ J’ino’s face was leeched of color.

            As if the sight of it brought everything back in an instant.

            Anna eyed it. Gray images drifting at the edge of her mind.

            An infant’s cry of terror.

            J’ino’s heartwrenching sobs.

            Anna placed it on her desk. Hugging herself.

            She didn’t want to know.

            J’ino left without saying another word.

            She sat on the bed. Poppi appeared beside her.

            From mother to mother, by design or fate, God works through you.

            She eyed the glass container.

            “I don’t want to know Poppi.”

            The voices called. Another man entered. Her father sat down in the hover chair near the desk. His hands clasped before him. Face pensive. “So, what do you want to know first?”

            “Why did you do it? Become like that Brick?”

            He looked away, his eyes distant, replying, “Because it was the right thing to do Anna. To protect you. I don’t have as much Light Shaman in me as my father did but I had enough in other areas to do the work. To help people. The Void Walkers and everything else has been at our door long before the idea of Space Travel even entered our collective consciousness. We have been fighting the Living Stone since our people have lived in caves. Wearing animal skins for warmth.”

            Her voice broke, “Let someone else do it! That Brick has enough power! Even that thing would have killed all of us with one swipe!”

            Moonlighter’s gaze hardened as he met hers, “Alone? Yes, Eliza has power. So does her brother but that’s not what drives them to protect. They would do it even if they had nothing at all to their name.”

            He cut her off before she could protest, “Their true power isn’t in their demi abilities. Family lines or whatever the Weave has in store for them. They create goodwill. Bring people together. Lift them up. Just by caring.” He picked up his father’s bible. 

Read a passage.

“John 15:13. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.” He planted a kiss on Anna’s forehead, “May the light protect you from all darkness.” He faded through the floor of the ship without a backward glance. But not fast enough. She saw the tears he held back.

            Anna threw herself onto the bed. Punching the pillows for good measure. She wasn’t that brave. She didn’t have that in her. That kernel of doubt grew. Eating away at her. The holo display blinking as more messages poured in from around the ship. They had decided on the Markav robot’s name: Comet

            She screamed into the pillow. Of course they did.

After the demi hero of the Battle of New Orleans.

That fear prickled at her mind again.

They’ll die. I’ll be alone.

Just because of some misguided heroics.

*****

J’ino asked Odessen, >>How is it you can get here that easily? Most have to use our heavily guarded universal transport points.<<

She replied, >>Our universe and yours are nearly on the same Weave thread. Which is why it chose us to help you. Plus that coin is specifically made for Eliza. Yours I mean.<<

J’ino said, “I see. May I?” The other Eliza grinned, “Yup! Everyone’s excited.”

She reached out to rest a hand on Odessen’s stomach. Feeling the baby kick.

For just this moment everything was right with the universe.

Issue 17: Here

Issue 19: Here

2 comments:

  1. Was that meant to be Alpha Centuari?

    As for Anna it feels like her prickly nature is her trying to remain strong in face of loss and the feeling of isolation Explains why she rejected Eliza's olive branches they felt fake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and most of the characters didnt understand where it was all coming from. Anna kept seeing aborted universe timelines because she's that strong of a weave speaker so she thought she was seeing future visions of Dexter and Eliza KOing everything because they were Unity Avatars within those possible futures. The first part with Karvax was on Alpha Century, near the city established on Proxima B, Id have to recheck book 0 and 1. Since I reference Trinity there as well. Teddy understands this better because of his chance ability. IT lets him extrapolate the right questions out of her. Anna's arc is also showcasing how a very strong, Eliza level demi wellspring would be like for a Weave Speaker.

      Delete