Saturday, March 27, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Mars Issue 15

 

Issue 15: Balance of the Ages

 

            I asked for Arthur’s help. He agreed. We would walk the dark places Mordred ventured. I hoped it would give us some leads about that horrid Sister. It did but it also revealed more of my son’s infidelities and sins. I wonder: Could I have done more to extinguish the evil of the Void Walkers bubbling within him?—The Morrigan

            My Intez assisted in orienting me. From past lives to current. Otherwise, I would have been adrift in the endless sea of memory. While not quite like accessing different files, it was more like Intez was creating bubbles around each of my incarnations. That way I could help guide the Morrigan. There were other lives within me more familiar with the horrors of the Void Walkers.—Arthur

            I always have the hardest time reading later sections within my daughter’s memoir. Striking down Unity was the first step. The journey after…that harrowing event still frightens me today. We came too close to losing her. I asked Arthur once: What was it like being reborn? His face closed off. His body stiffening. But he knew why I had asked. It was the only way besides Matarn that I could even fathom what Eliza went through.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Ikeri Sector (Andromeda Galaxy)

Arc Way Jayta

May 15th, 2104

           

The Morrigan rose through the air.

Her dark crow’s wings giving off eerie shadows along the face of the tower.

Was it a bubble shield?  She cared not. This place had oxygen.

That was all that mattered to the former guardian of the Iron Leyline of London. Arthur raised Excalibur in greeting.  The Litari Light Shamans swarmed around him. They were still nervous. The Twins had only recently cleansed this place. Black’s wards pulsated in the background. Making the entire area ring in time with the fluctuations of the Weave. Their golden eyes gleaming against the obsidian stones of this particular Arc. Arthur bowed respectfully. His Intez symbiote murmuring within, <<They have a whole 10 battalions of troops here. Along with their Light Shamans. The ground here still reflects the warped experiments of Void Walkers.>>

That was why they were here. The Sister’s influence was insidious. High above them, the Jupiter Rising circled. Iresh and Nara, the litari scholar of ancient artifacts, landed on the surface of the Creation structure. Then the shuttle promptly lifted again. The various Litari circled the two arrivals. Males reared back in shock as the Professor’s 3rd eye opened wide. Its golden light zeroing in on Arthur.

“Brothers, make way for the Wielder of the Blade. It is oathbound and blessed.” Nara’s voice brooked no argument. The Morrigan landed on Arthur’s right shoulder. While Iresh flowed past everyone. Examining the main doorway. “Her dread steps flow from the highest point of this Arcway.”  Nara, his 3rd eye twitching, blocked Iresh from entering.

“This place is not safe for viable females.”

That explained all the irate males then.

Arthur spoke to Excalibur, <<Any other nasty surprises?>>

The sword responded drily, <<Indeed. But not in the physical. The Weave recorded the madness of the Sister’s experiments. It is not for polite company.>>

Nara glanced at the Morrigan as well. That same eye examining her.

“You may pass.”

Her heart fell. Well, that did answer an important question. Perhaps Lanis could help rejuvenate things but her milky white eyes filled with tears. Mordred would be the only child unnaturally given. She didn’t look more than 30, at most, due to the magic running through her veins but she had never thought to have Lanis do an in-depth examination. She forwarded a message.

///I am afflicted in a similar way to Eliza. This outing confirmed it. Nyx’s traps target very fertile women. ///

As they entered the Tower, Iresh called out “Find any trace. No matter how small the lead!” The doors creaked and closed with a final sharp thunk. Low green lights illuminated the path before Nara, Arthur, and Morrigan. The old ruler of the Round Table held Excalibur aloft. Its luminescence guiding them deeper within the construct. Echoes of their footsteps ringed about. Giving Morrigan the impression they were disturbing a grave. She huddled under Arthur’s white and gray cape. A white tree clasp completing it. The armor still gleaming ivory in the semi-darkness. He reached up to give her a reassuring brush under her beak. “Steady dear lady. The dawn will come.” His modern incarnation had slipped into the memories of the past. Sometimes speaking in ancient tongues. Even with those foreign to humanity. All because of the Intez genetic record flowing through him.

They stopped when they reached a spiraling staircase. Each Arc Way formed differently but they all had a spiral access point at the very center. Some were squat, only a few floors high while others towered. Akin to giant space elevators. Arthur mused that it might have something to do with the influence of the Light Shamans or even the races who dwelled within each galaxy. He pressed his gauntleted palm against the wording at the base of the stair case. It flared white-hot. Arthur translated the words.

“Beware o’ seekers. Only death remains here. The wailing of babes and mothers echoing outwards as sweet nectar upon the lips of the Void Mother. Her’s is the false fertility of woe.”

Nara reared up and curled around Arthur as well. Taking refuge within the left side of his cloak. His third eye slammed shut as images of those ill-fated mothers reached him. The cries of their children, newly born yet not, remaining like oil upon his skin.

True evil had been done here.

No wonder Dawnbreaker had left in a rage. Black’s wards working overtime to scrub this place clean. But its grisly records remained. Excalibur pulsated. Arthur held the sword before him. Its silver light burning away at the traps laid upon the steps. Whatever was at the top level was what the Sister had valued. His hazel eyes hardened. He picked up his pace. Slashing at the traps as they attempted to halt his progress.

“Though I walk through the valley of death, the Lord is with me!”

His arms grew heavier as they ascended but he did not falter. He realized Nara was adding his strength to each hit. It was no wonder that Ritark stayed with Arthon. The Litari had many hidden skills that the human had yet to see. Intez remarked, <<Indeed. It is why they were targeted by Chronos.>>

The Morrigan was singing soft chants to replenish his stamina as they climbed further. She could still use her human voice while in the form of the crow. After what seemed like ages, they reached the pinnacle of the Arcway. Based on the claw marks, Black had already softened up the Void Walker seals, each mark inches thick into what was supposed to be impenetrable. Arthur licked his lips. He knew Dexter wouldn’t hold back. So this thing must have had a ridiculous amount of sigils and wards of the foulest nature.

Morrigan nearly jumped out of her skin.

Doc’s response message flickered behind her eyes.

///When you get back to the ship, I'll do a full rundown.///

Excalibur sparked as Arthur slashed at the last fading eldritch rituals of the doorway.

///I won’t give up on you or Eliza.///

            Arthur remained stone faced. Acid burning at the back of his throat.

            Inside: A charnel house that would make the strongest among them hurl.

            Nyx had lined the babies up. Posing them inside what he could only imagine were the parodies of cradles. He didn’t want to gaze inside the murky cylinders lining the walls. Morrigan keened. The sound carrying to the surface.

            Iresh blinked. Seeing the pinprick of White Defender energies manifest high above the tower. Eliza was responding to the duress bleeding off her crewmates. She couldn’t even help it. A burst of Black energy blocked her from reaching the Arc Way. Dexter was buying them some time.

*****

            I faced my brother. “They are in pain! I have to help!” His arms were wrapped around me. White’s war form hurtling out of me. Black responded. Blocking us easily. My brother’s iron grip remained resolute.

            “You cannot go there. Not yet. What remains is needed for the Professor!”

            I knew he wanted to add, “And also for our mother.”

            I thrashed about. Knowing beyond all doubts that the  Morrigan and even Arthur were in great pain right now. Not physically but the mental anguish was more than I could bear. I kept straining. He was an immovable wall. Still, I persisted in my struggle. Every fiber of my being on fire. How else could I shield others?

            I found myself going limp. White burying her head in my shoulder.

            I could see it. Behind Nara’s 3rd eye.

            Heaven preserve us all.

            That thing had no soul.

            I screamed. Dexter pulled me into a close hug. One, so I wouldn’t hurt anyone.

            Two, it was the only way to shield the space around us from my sudden lack of control.

*****

            Nara winced. Knowing that he was responsible for that misstep. The Nephilim of each species reacted to the White and Black differently. He had not meant to let the horrors of this floor reach Eliza Murphy. He thanked Dexter profusely. Adding a heartfelt apology. The Black responded, <<Be at peace Nara of the Litari. We will contain Eliza and my sister until your research is done. We must locate the proper instruments so Mr. Fletcher can reverse engineer them.>>

            The Morrigan pecked at one of the upper canisters. It had been hidden behind some old texts. Nara flowed upwards. Grabbing the container. It was a Litari Void Walker hybrid fetus. Sadly something that was required. It was perfectly preserved. Its partially formed limbs ending in the shadowy threads of a Litari. A note materialized. Written in Void Walker speak. He knew Eliza would be able to read it. Even though she thought White translated things, which she did frequently, Eliza knew the Void Walker speech because of the circumstance of her birth.

            He shuddered.

Keeping his thoughts close.

            Now was not the time to tell her.

            But her brother knew. Even White knew.

            That Sister had nearly succeeded.

            He prayed that Thomas Murphy would be able to stop that monster.

            His golden eyes narrowed. Arthur waved them over. His face pale.

            Inside the rearmost cylinder was a woman.

            Or rather, an angel.

            Her form was pristine.

            Golden hair floating about her head like the halos depicted in happy pictures.

            Her arms crossed over her chest.

            More Void Walker speech manifested.

            The instruments next to the container revealed the hidous truth.

            Sister Nyx had managed to extract a half-formed angel from the womb of its mother.

            That extract had been used. On Nyx herself.

*****

            I bounded up the steps. My face was drawn. The bile rising in my stomach.

Every beat of my heart climbing into my throat. As I entered that last door, Arthur and the others were gathered around a woman caught in amber. As I approached, they turned and parted for me. Morrigan flew straight at me. I let her settle into my arms as I read the foul message before me.

            It's lettering dark orange.

            “I have done it. For my lord Chronos, by the blood of those deemed first in the eyes of the Weave, I can find all manner of life and bend it. Its genetic flavor was drawn before me. I will turn the Children of All to the Children of Chains.”

            My eyes burned. I shut them. The wave of darkmatter threatening to burst forth.

            “I carry the unborn within me. All little ones will flow through me and love Unity.”

            Excalibur’s voice reached me. <<We must take her from this place. Back to Io. They will know what to do.>> Even the smell here was closing in on me. I turned on my heel. The Morrigan’s feathers hitting my face as I held back tears. I was still shocked by how little Chronos and his ilk valued life. Even their own. It was an anathema to me. How could someone care so little?! A crunch of stone caused me to look at the doorway. The pressure of my fist had left a mark. In a door that was supposed to be nigh-indestructible. The Morrigan bumped my chin. Her voice soft, “We will put the little ones to rest. I promise this.”

            I brushed the top her head. The light black feathers a spark of normalcy within this place.

            Dexter appeared instantly. “I'll bring her to the ship. They need you to perform rites outside. All of you. They wish for blessed energies from all.”

The Jupiter Rising

Medical Deck

 

Nara kept the other sample to himself for now. Knowing that Eliza would need some time away to clear her thoughts. It was bad enough that the Sister had managed to subvert something as holy as one of the Creator Level races. He hoped they would be in time to save Typha and the Litari from a similar fate. Zombies for the cause of Unity. The Professor brought the sample to the Biohazard unit. Seeing Doctor Lanis, arms crossed, at the entryway.

“Spill it, Professor, what else is at stake here?”

He lifted the sample. Lanis’ mouth going slack.

“Dear God.” She motioned him inside.

*****

            J’ino sat next to her daughter while they gazed out at a calm sunny ocean seaside. She thought it was Herald’s Point in Florida. Famous for their corndogs and Florida Man. Believed to be imbued with the powers of the Triangle. Dubbed the Bermuda Triangle in modern-day history. Eliza didn’t say anything. Didn’t have to. Eventually, she leaned back. Head resting on the beach towel. She was still in her Banner uniform. Her left hand reached out for her mother’s.

            J’ino clamped down on her thoughts. So that nothing would get out.

            She squeezed that hand. Relieved when Eliza smiled at her.

            That monster wouldn’t get to finish the job. J’ino would unload all the ordinance in the universe if she had to. That thing would regret the day it tried to steal her children. Or any other child.

*****

            Sister Nyx hummed a lullaby as the human woman on the operating table screamed. The noise was muffled by the amber material. She allowed for enough oxygen to let her subject breathe. No one would miss this woman. She had no family. A human on an outer world. Wanting to find a new life. She would have that.

            The sister always kept her promises.

            “Hush little baby, don’t say a word, momma’s gonna buy you….”

Issue 14: Here

Issue 16:  Here

No comments:

Post a Comment