Tuesday, March 30, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Mars Issue 16

 

Issue 16: There Be Dragons

 

            Managed to round up some “helpful” artock. Mostly selling out their fellows for a comfortable cell rather than a firing line.—General Patrick Whitehouse

Chronos has not left completely. He’s using the Artock to soften up targets or draw our eyes elsewhere. We believe an assault on Earth herself is imminent. But that in itself is also a distraction. What is Chronos aiming at? Besides enslaving people to Unity.—Micheal Brookes, C.A.P Field Agent

The universe would see more battles. Yes, they were coming for one-half of my home. Chronos was also aiming for another species. He wanted to keep the Litari off balance as well. They had something valuable. The Matriarch Mothers. If you thought Triplets were a whole lot for Humans, that was considered a small boost to a family of Litari. Most times the average birth rate was 8 children to a mother. Very fertile Litari? 15+. So what the Sister intended was to enslave more for her projects. When in a combat situation: Men never forget that women bear the role of life-giver. It's why they fight. To protect that often overlooked aspect of a woman’s existence.—Sleeping In Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Zalari Sector (Antennae Galaxies)

Homeworld of the Litari (Oloss)

June 1st, 2104

            I gawked at the landmass and buildings filtering through my multispectral sight. This place was made for them. Much like that moon, Tal-hone, I had visited to pick up Nara so long ago. For the Litari, a Home System was a colony. This place was the beating heart of their civilization. A handful of embassy buildings were within domes. To provide the natural light cycle of those more accustomed to places like Earth or Typha. The bright reds, greens, and purples rose to the heavens as various structures conveyed Litari above the ground level of the central spaceport. Ritark left the shadow of Arthon’s jacket. We were here as Earth reps. Not in a demi capacity.

            Iresh was very adamant about that.

            Simulated sunlight rose before us as we crossed into the domed embassy. Ritark curled around my NASA cap. Pointing out the many features of the facilities. “Most of our food wouldn’t be compatible so that’s why we had the Jupiter pick up all those supplies before we Arc’d in.”

            All Terran Alliance space was cleared of corrupted Arc Ways. The Eden Tree network was adding more connections every day. Some required my brother and Black to leave wards behind. While White and I had to do the same for others. A balance. Like with all things. Black nudged me mentally, >>I reinforce the Litari. White reinforces the old Scholar Arcs. It is because we are tied directly to them.<<

            He put it privately to me.

            I still tended to forget some things.

            White curled around my waist. Only Dexter and I could see our belts when they were cloaked. >>Brother! Stop picking on my host.<<

Her tone was half-serious but that experience with finding the Sister’s results still sat on my soul. We had to stop that thing. Lorain shot me a concerned glance as we entered the main building. Supplies in tow. The lead Alliance official exclaimed, “OH THANK GOD! MORE COFFEE!” Various personnel unloaded our grav carts. All of them were quite pleased. Another one commented, “I haven’t had steak in weeks. Thanks, Captain!”

I tipped my yellow cap.

“All in a day’s work!”

Iresh broke away from the CIC area. It was cordoned off with a giant, “Authorized personnel” indicator. Eddie was having a bit of fun by flashing his press credentials at it. A big red buzzer hit my left ear: <<Attached Terran Alliance Press authorization denied! Please report further inquiries to the local TA branch.>> His lady friend, made to look human for now, pinched his nose. Black hair and brown eyes. He didn’t seem to mind the cover story for her.

She was officially part of King Elias Payne’s chronicler brigade. Newies with higher-level access to him to record the royal actions and tribulations of the day.

Dad wanted to keep the new alliance with Nola’s people low-key. The compromised Uplift divisions were already irate with Bardax and the Markav for taking Humanity’s side.  Not to mention my mother going completely native. The Commons understood this. They were out in the field of the wider universe consistently. We all knew this to be the work of the Lying House and those still under the sleeper programs but I still wished for the day we could walk openly.

How interesting that I had to hide my Typherian heritage while in civilian mode. Doc pulled me off to the side, leaning in close. “Look’s like the opening gala brought out quite a few interesting guests.”

Her voice was rock hard over our private link, ((The elite of the Litari are swarming the planet. That doesn’t happen unless an especially fertile Matriarch goes missing.))

            All I could picture was that angel trapped in glass.

            Doc rested her hands on my shoulders.

            Her voice gentle.“I know. We will help.”

            ((Unofficially.))

            I know I sounded impatient.

            Lorain bestowed a quick hug and moved to join my Father.

That explained Iresh’s presence. Along with Ritark and Prof. Nara.

Cooper trotted alongside me as I walked over to grab some drinks.

His black ears perked forward, <<I will help! I can track anything!>>

I scratched his left ear. He leaned into it. <<Thank you! I have a harder time reaching that exact spot!>>

            Even the former A51 Bardaxian security team was present.

Glaive held out his paw. I shook it.

            “When did you all get here?”

            He winked, <<Enjoy the Gala first. We will talk later.>>

Gala Parade

Human Embassy

           

The atmosphere within the Embassy was electrified.

The night sky gleamed with stars. The four moons of Oloss visible in the distance. All of them the same silver-white of our moon back home.

Litari voices raised in haunting beauty as they flowed overhead. Old chanting gaining the attention of most of the humans here. My team had other plans but the singing did grab at me. Doc had her arms around my waist. Outwardly she was relaxed but through our Typherian bond, I knew that was skin deep. She was on alert for some signal. Dad prepped her for an operation here. Her eyes danced. Going from one point to the next.

Beyond the domes, flashes of movement drew my attention away. I focused on it. Going beyond the walls. Sensing the heartbeats of the multitudes beyond the confines of the Embassy. Their voices raised with concern, “How? HOW! We checked every burrow. Pandora does not know the new techniques!”

I involuntarily shuddered. Doc rested her head against my chest.

Her face was still serene.

The Litari soldiers continued, “Check the records! Perhaps a sleeper gave her information.”

My gaze narrowed. Not a sleeper. Pandora would know the planet from its golden times. Like Matarn, she was from an older cycle. She probably set up hidden pathways unknown to others. Lorain cupped my chin. Bringing my head down to face her.

<<Sir, I think she has a clue.>>

My father replied on that same channel. <<Good. Let’s go find ourselves a Matriarch.>>

The Amarche walked next to me as we exited the Gala. Outside the dome, I found my father, Glaive, and his team, along with Ritark and his mother. Iresh flowed around Doc. Hooking into her shadow. Ritark did the same with me. Cooper pawed at the ground.

His voice brimming with the need to hunt, <<We will find! Protect!>>

Path of Glory

Oloss

 

            The Matriarch shivered.

There was no way out of this room. From what she could see.

            Her body coiled around the 30 children gestating within her.

This creature, who wore the face of an ally, laughed.

            “What a prize you are my dear.” Pandora sent the signal.

Nyx would have a field day with this one.

*****

            I suited up. Donning the C.A.P battle armor with ease. So this would be a Terran Alliance co-op with Bardax and Iresh’s faction. Excellent! Doc had the same setup. The only thing that marked my father differently was the internal HUD indicators. His was gray. Ours were white.  With no identifiable marks on the armor, it made it harder for enemies to realize who the leader was. I usually didn’t think about that much while in Banner mode. I wanted the enemy to know who I was so they’d leave my friends alone and target me above others.

Ritark growled, <<I do not like this. Pandora knows too much!>>

            I replied, << I think that’s why she separated Matarn from his body. So he couldn’t warn enough people. She must have some way to relay to hidden points on the planet. With the power to hide them. >>

            Iresh agreed, <<Even our light shamans have no idea where the mother is being held. She has a Weave speaker child within as well.>> I had an option most didn’t. The Amarche swirled around the southern continent. Their ghostly forms a bright silver in this eternal dark landscape. Dexter took point beside me. The Amarche were gathered around a cave system. A small stream of green linked us all together. Cooper wanted to make sure no one got separated. Good boy! Just like any other kind of spelunking.

            Down we went.

            Even Ritark remarked, <<I have never been this far down.>>

His mother curled around him briefly. Doc added, ((How will we get through?))

            I eyed Dexter, ((I have a feeling Black has that in hand.))

*****

            The terror of her children peaked when a wavy holographic form of a Void Walker phased into the room. It didn’t approach the Litari mother, it merely observed. She didn’t know what was worse. The overall gleam in the thing’s orbs or the way its hands twitched as if it wanted to approach and touch her. She reached deep.

            Please. Someone. Anyone. Help me.

*****

            Cooper growled. His Bardaxian war frame coiling tighter around him.

            <<I smell fear.>>

            I did too. Along with something else. Nyx was here.

            We reached the deepest part of the cavern complex. A rough etching of 3 circles rose before me. Glowing a faint orange to my sight. Dexter spoke, “Get ready. When I punch this thing, it will transport us, I suspect Void Walkers and worse.”

            A voice reached me. Help.

            As Dexter’s fist struck the stone, the world shifted, we were inside a Keeper Laboratory. Its silver mixed gunmetal gray walls making me nauseous.

Nyx hissed as Cooper unloaded a full grav bomb launcher into her face.

That cross scar a black blemish on her warped gray skin.

My suit compensated for the sudden weakness in my knees.

I knew that thing.

A face in the deepest part of my dreams.

The shrapnel bounced everywhere. Tearing through the controls keeping the Matriarch imprisoned. There was no sign of Pandora. Dexter took that moment to boost to the side room. My father launched more ordinance from his wrist mounts in the C.A.P suit. I got it. We had to appear specialized yet obfuscated from our true agenda. Which I will be the last one to know. I ducked as Glaive bounded over me. Grabbing at one of the lower level Void Walkers. Its face already disintegrating into red mist as my father put a good-sized grav round to its head. The black and tan Beauceron used the rest of the Walker’s body as a ramming device. Slamming into 4 more mooks as they phased into the room. Doc and I bounded into the containment area. Covering the Litari Matriarch. Alongside Waston, the Bastet Hound.

The two others of the A51 security team remained with Cooper in the main room.

Creating havoc.

Doc leaned over and re-positioned my firing arrangement. Taking control of my primary firing arrays.

I got the feeling I’d be on the firing range for more practice.

But that wasn’t why I was here.

The faint heartbeats of the babies called out to me.

*****

            The Matriarch flowed into the armor of the one who wasn’t a soldier. This one was a shield. She felt her children calm immediately. Her faith in the Weave had been rewarded. She wouldn’t give birth to the next wave of Brood Horrors. They would remain her dear children. Taught in the ways of the Light. One who was Litari yet also Other greeted her. A rather curious male. She would be safe here. The sigil of the Arms of Calos greeted her as the young male formed them in the space around her. Within the flight jacket of this captain.

            She didn’t know how this human….no more than that…could hide them both. Along with the children but she didn’t ponder that too long. She must maintain the shield around the babies. They would not be polluted from this place.

*****

            Everything around me was enhanced. The mother was singing to her children. Lorain aimed. Watson joined her. Barking like mad as more Void Walker drones entered the fray. The scent of Sister Nyx a faint memory as my suit responded in time with Doc’s. Watson got in an excellent hit as the last squad of emaciated gray bodies thudded to the floor.

            My father joined us. His armor splattered with things I’d rather not examine too closely.

            His voice bounced off my helmet, <<Take point. We have what we need.>>

            Our boots thudded heavily as we raced to the exit.

            A distant boom echoed.

            Dexter had set a bomb.

The Jupiter Rising

Medical Deck

           

I stood on overwatch as the mother delivered her babies.

            Lorain, Iresh, and Ritark assisting.

            Nara stood guard with me. His third golden eye was wide.

Ready to greet the next generation.

            He curled around me for a moment, “Thank you, Captain. Because of you and your team here we have what we need to release Litari sleepers from their plague. Now we must use more caution. Waking them will take time.”

            No wonder Dad had kept operational security.

            Not that I couldn’t be trusted but it would be weird if a regular NASA Jumpstart Captain would be in the “know” for high-level military ops. The Jupiter was supposed to be a quick hybrid delivery ship. On paper.

            I updated the roster.

            One happy Matriach and 32 newly born babies.

*****

            Sister Nyx cradled her face. She hadn’t used the Dark Mirrors fast enough. New marks.

            But she had one thing. The child. The one she had missed so long ago. J’ino’s child.

            So close. She had the scent.

Issue 15: Here

Issue 17: Here

 

4 comments:

  1. Wait, Thomas has a gray HUD instead of a white or black one? That is more sus than a game of Among us. Sleeper foreshadowing?
    lol

    Good to see the heroes being pro-active. Eliza is still kept in the dark I see. Luckily she's nice and understanding otherwise I would wonder how she puts up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that way the people in the unit coms know who the leader is but the enemy wont. As far as Terran Alliance CAP battlesuits code things. It was an R&D guy's sick joke. Since some of them know about the Gray Herald. And his delusions of grand "leadership".

      Delete
    2. Also, the reason she's in the dark will be explained during the J'ino/Anna team up issue. Dun dun duuuuuuuun!

      Delete
    3. Or rather, still kept in the dark about some things. Hint: Her one armed self. :P

      Delete