Monday, April 5, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Mars Issue 21

 

Issue 21: Admiral Sul’sandra Reborn

 

            That bag of flesh. I only managed to acquire some initial samples. J’ino is a catalyst. I will have to use Set’s agents to re-acquire my target. Dominion will regret going against me. Her intense dislike of her father is an unknown element to our kind. It was a mistake to use human stock! Leave that to the Artock and their madness!—Sister Nyx

            I cannot pry my sister away from Goldenlight’s library. Our race has such a rich history, even with prolong it will take a while to learn even a fraction of the secrets here. I have to admit: I didn’t realize my yellow eyes indicated Markav Creation's age bloodline. It is a regressive trait among my people. Most usually have the green or blue within blue.—Taleer

            After that particular blackout, my grandmother had to let more things slip to my mother, father, my brother, and Lorain. Doc was the one who took it the hardest. Knowing my Ur tethered self wished it. It added to her worries. I didn’t want that but my emotions from that moment got the better of me. Plus her Typherian bond to me grew deeper in other ways that even my parents hadn’t suspected.—Sleeping In Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Golden Arrays of the Light

Light Shaman Training Deck

June 8th, 2104

            I hit the mat.

Rolling out of the way of Cooper’s attack. The emerald Lazer grazing my right shoulder. Auggie sprinted between my legs, tripping me up with a tug of telekinetic powers. I was going at 1/10th of my speed. Which was a good measure for the average demi. I wanted to take my mind off things for a while and my 4 footed friends always loved playing, “Catch the Banner!” A warm weight landed on top of me. Lorain had decided to tap in. I hooked my legs around her waist and flipped us over. With me on top. I captured her hands and held her there. With her back against the practice mat, I charged my dark matter vision. Not to hurt but to see how she would react. I wasn’t the only demi who could fire things from her eyes.

She tapped her forehead against mine and I went blind. My back spasmed uncontrollably and I found myself airborne. The gel shot from the walls to soften my landing. I could hear Doc running full tilt at me. Her voice was concerned.

“Oh god!” Her hand probed gently and my sight popped back into place.

I blinked. Rubbed my eyes.

“Remind me not to get you angry.”

Her response, “Captain, If I am ever upset, you will know it.”

Ooof!

My breath was momentarily taken as she kissed me hard. The intensity was even greater than I had ever experienced. What had gotten into her? My bewilderment must have been plain because she pulled away. A mix of longing and apology firing off from her aura.

I smiled down at her, “No idea why I deserved that but I’ll most certainly put in more gel wall time if that’s what it takes!”

She rested her head on my chest for a moment. Cooper and Auggie joined the huddle. Not wanting to miss out on some well-placed joyous therapy as the German Shepherd put it. I brought Auggie upward. Face to face. “Good boy! WHO WANTS A WALK!?”

Auggie wiggled in my arms. <<YES! Lots of good places on this ship. Knows Bardaxians and Earth dogs!>> I set him down gently. Watching him zip back and forth. Cooper joining him, <<Let’s go find our friends!>>

I rolled my shoulders. My joints and muscles relaxing. Lorain reached out and put her arms around my neck. Her tone was professional yet some humor lingered, “Come on. Let's go get cleaned up. I imagine we’ll have to go hunting for Sul.”

My mind wandered. I picked Doc up in my arms as she giggled. I would enjoy this respite. My gut told me it would be rarer in the days ahead.

*****

             Natet walked with Taleer and Sul’sandra. All three of them exploring the newly revealed heritage of their people. They were on the same level as the Ancients. Those races were born before the Litari and Scholars. Even before Black and White. It was humbling to the cook. He brought up some more histories.

            After the Highest created all things. So it breathed life into the First of First.

Its arbiters: the winged progeny who were tasked with building the Arc Ways. The Titans of Old. Slumbering in the heart of Stars. The Armache who Shadowed the Realms of All. The sundering of the old lands of First Eden. The Highest had foreseen it all. So it had granted the next cycles more protections. It would break up existence: A multiverse. To slow the advance of Unity. Laying additional foundations. In the form of Bardaxians. The youngest of these being Humans. Adding the element of demis into their heritage. To tip the scales.

While the Gray Herald had polluted Typha, the Highest’s will still imbue that race with choice, to which the Commons embodied the reality. Even used as tools, Typherians were a hardy race overall. Set would not be able to bind them all.

Black and White were confined to the will of the Defender Belts they inhabited. Which in turn Eliza and Dexter wielded. Natet linked to the basic Shaman tomes keyed within the Arrays. Amazing just how much was lost within each cycle alone! But for good reason. They would need every shock to pull the enemy into a field of overconfidence. He didn’t understand why Eliza was being left out of things while a simple cook like himself was being let in. As humans put it. Wouldn’t it make sense for her to….

His train of thought halted. His eyes peering upward. This statue, a Markav with a tome in one hand and staff in the other reached something primal within him. He knew that face, that stance, pure faith, and defiance. A warrior of times long past. The silver and purple robes were replicated with exquisite detail. Sul waved as M’taris, Thomas and J’ino joined them. Ayeer opened with, “Follow me, I will call Lorain soon but you must know the reason why Eliza is kept from certain kinds of information. Why it was revealed in stages to you my daughter.”

J’ino gripped Thomas’s right arm. Her fingers digging into his clothing. He rested his other hand across hers. Squeezing it.

“Let’s go.” His voice was subdued. Far more gentle than she thought he could be.

As they all entered what Goldenlight called the Cathedral, M’taris said, “Eliza was the one who ordered V’alkor and me not to say anything to her current self.”

J’ino blurted out, “What kind of Time Travel theory is this?”

M’taris replyed, “Ur-Stone kind. Along with the Weave. Eliza went through the Dweller gate that day so long ago. Remember?”

J’ino winced. “Yes. I had to bring her back in a sense deprivation cryo pod.”

M’taris waved to the seats. “I’ll show you what you didn’t see.”

She placed a device on the table. It relayed the information directly to their minds.

Anna sat in silence. Wondering why they would bring her in on this.

Private Terrace

Typha, (Ayeer Residence)

October 8th, 2089

Syncing with viewer pov, adding Subject thoughts (Eliza).

Grandma stared long and hard at me for a moment, collecting her thoughts then replied:

“For the very same reason, I must keep things from my daughter. The path is set and to see everything through to its end, we all must play our parts.”

Sadness and an underlying sense of resolve colored her entire profile. It struck me like a ton of bricks. Not caring if this was against protocol or not I shot up out of the chair and do what I know I can do best: Hug the ever-living junk out of people. She gave me a watery chuckle as I wrapped my cape around another family member.

I didn’t have an official uniform yet. So I made use of my home’s flag. Old Glory herself. I was an odd assortment of working boots, jeans, and a white t-shirt for now but I knew I wanted the stars and stripes on my back. Always.

“Eliza, there is one thing I want you to promise when you officially come back here.”

My interest was piqued.

“What’s that Diamonds?”

“Next time your grandfather will be in attendance too. First thing, when you touch down, do what your heart tells you to do. Just like now.”

“I promise!”

She held onto me until the very last moment. Another individual appeared at the other end of the terrace. His serious mien broke when he saw us. Grey within black eyes locked onto mine. He nodded with satisfaction. I gulped. This mountain of a man was even taller than me. I was 5ft 10 already. No wonder people said I ate half the herd of milk and cattle. Grandpa Wolf must be pushing 8 ft.

Then grandmother retreated from my embrace as I was pulled back….

My mind blanked.

*****

            V’alkor caught Eliza as she collapsed. Worried for her. He ran a scanner across her unconscious form. It announced, “Temporal anomaly detected!” The area around her rippled and a one-armed version of her groaned and rolled to her side. Only her right arm remained.

            She turned her head. A wild expression on her features. “What year is it?!”

M’taris reached out with her right hand, “Oct. 8th, 2089. By Terran standard calculations.”

Eliza paced back and forth, her words garbled, “Why? I fell. The world….”

V’alkor picked her up from behind. Holding her to his chest. Waiting for her racing heart to slow.  “Is this what the Ur meant? What does the Weave want of me? What Matarn and C’alain mentioned?” She shuddered. Sagging within her grandfather’s warm embrace.

 “Oh god. It’s all me, isn’t it? It was always me. Because of Nyx. Chronos. All of it.”

V’alkor probed gently, “Asked you of what child?”

She stared directly into her grandmother’s eyes but answered him.

“Dexter will guide the Throne matrix from Unity’s hold. It will ring false for the End of the Multiverse.”

Tears ran down her face, “I will, through my dragon tattoo, inject Unity with Nyx’s gift.”

She said gift like a curse.

            They remained silent as she continued, “It’s because that thing carries an angelic embryo within her. Why she can find children. Of certain kinds of qualities. But that’s the only way I will be able to breach the protections of Unity. For that final blow.”

“Karvax will attempt to kill you grandfather.” She touched the blade at his hip as he set her down. His eyes wide with wonder as she re-established the Light Shaman rites upon the blade. She saw the question and answered it.

“No, I am not a Light Shaman but C’alain walks in my shadow. Just as my brother does for the time being. White, I know you can hear me even though currently you are dormant. Say nothing to my current self. I wish it. I will need all the lights of my life to carry my soul back to the living.”

Eliza’s face grew distant, “The cliffs beckon.”

*****

            Anna blurted out, “What kind of time travel nonsense is this? Why would Future Brick want Younger Brick oblivious?”

            M’taris rubbed her face, “The weight of the climb and lance. She will see what is beyond Unity. She will need anchors of light to carry her home.”

            J’ino had her husband’s hand in a death grip. “So why tell us this now?”

            Her mind flashed to Lorain, “Doc?”

            M’taris nodded, “She was the first I showed beside you all now.”

            Dexter faced Black and White from across the table, “My sister hid me, didn’t she? When we were born? It's why she has no Typherian matter manipulation to speak of now?”

            They gazed directly at him. Their faces open. White replied, “Yes. She lost that avenue. Gifting it to you so you would be able to hide from the Sister. Otherwise, Anna’s visions would have been quite accurate. We would have been converted as well.”

            White paced. Her paws thudding heavily. “We would have been avatars of endless death.” Anna paled. Her hands were clasped on the top of the table. “Ok. Still doesn’t explain why Brick wants herself extreamly ignorant.  With the Typherian society stuff, I can understand. Ultimate culture shock to something more wholesome that the Commons will enjoy!”

            Sul’sandra interjected, “It’s the flavor of memories that will carry her back. She needs as many positive ones as she can muster. What is beyond Unity will be even more horrific.”

            M’taris bowed her head, “Yes. It will try to come back through her. We must stop that.”

            Anna turned to Teddy, “Ok Texas Special, crunch the damned numbers.” She hooked her fingers into the collar of his shirt, “Proto!” He winked, “Your wish is my command.”

            Eddie raised his hand, “All in favor of having our Captain Cosmos back?”

            Taleer raised his mug. “I wish it so. You will find even Anna agrees.”

            Anna smirked, “I still have another shoe to throw at her anyway!”

            The lone Tarvel, her purple skin darker under the lights of the Cathedral, raised her raven-haired head. Her orange eyes were lively.

Nola peered into her mirror, “We will be the instrument of her survival from the Void. But we will not be the only ones. Those who dwell in the Before and Hereafter. Those who walk the footpaths of the Stars, Earth, and Hidden Realms. Even those who are not yet born. All will contribute.”

M’taris forwarded the recording.

Placing the shimmering form of Ur-Eliza as she called it, before everyone.

As Eliza entered the room with Doc.

*****

            I stared.

            It was me. But her clothing was simple. Just a white shirt and black slacks. No shoes though. How odd. Doc froze. My grandmother waved her arm and the message played.

            “Dear Me. I am the reason you get swiss cheesed. Sorry about that. Really. But in this case, ignorance is bliss and what you don’t know will save even more people. Beyond numbering. From this life to the next. Past, Present, and Future.”

            I replied, “How does that work?! I feel helpless.”

            As if that other me knew, which of course she did, “I know. But its not out of malice. It’s to protect people. When you manage to finally face Unity, it will reflect things at you. Use your knowledge against you. People you love. Everything. So the less you know. The less it will know. Because unlike the source it came from, the baseline psyche is Scholar.”

            White padded over to me. Her form was taller than mine. She was growing!

            A large paw rested on the crown of my head. Her voice echoed throughout the room.

            “That is why there isn’t as much physical Scholar presence. They voluntarily left. The vast majority that is. So that Unity wouldn’t find purchase or Sleeper candidates. But Set and Unity know this. It is why they care not for Scholar avenues.”

            Future me continued. On-time with everyone.

            “It's why Di’axi took the brunt of Dexter’s anger. To keep him focused on that part of the game rather than Nyx. Brother, if you had broken your Weave containment and you could through Black and your extended Typherian abilities, we would have been unprepared.”

            Dexter stared, “I am not as angry as I was. But I see now. You are correct. I would have exploded outward. Revealing ourselves before the Humans were ready.”

            Other me waited.

            Cooper jumped in with, “Yes! Bardax will give many good memories.”

            She smiled. Doubt filled me. For a moment.

            “I know you think yourself doomed but remember that family motto: Shoot Ever Forward! Ever Skyward, Never Bound!”

            Everyone reacted at that as the message faded.

            All eyes turned to my grandmother, “Yes. I know what she refers to and no, I will not spoil it. It's my favorite future memory!”

            I laughed. It was the most natural one I had uttered in ages. Even Anna joined in by throwing her shoe at me. I caught it with my left hand. Which amused her even more. “HA! I knew it! BALANCE! Gimmie my winnings Handsome!”

            Teddy handed her an old-style Glock.

            Well, she was Texan after all.

*****

            Cooper pulled Lorain to the adjacent room. Floating them both upwards until they hit the highest point. The ship’s hidden compartment opened. He showed her the scrolls. She read the words. They moved about the surface, forming into standard English as she read throughout the next 2 hours.

            So that was what Bardax was planning.

            Those clever dogs. She kissed Cooper right between the eyes.

            “What did we ever do to deserve you?”

            His brown eyes gleamed, “Bacon and best therapy ever!”

            His tail tick tocked in time with Lorain’s smiling laughter.

            Her captain would come home.

            Lorain had seen a piece of the future.

            They would help make it a reality.

*****

            Sul’sundra immersed herself within the Archives. Learning new strategies. Alongside her brother. Taleer focused on Ground techniques while she focused on Space. While Goldenlight wouldn’t join directly he could give Highmaker and other allied VIs and AIs a curious spark. They would have to decide how to use it of course but the old Markav duo suspected most would use it for the greater good. The universe would provide.

            The Artock would be the first of many steps.

            The tides would pull back.

            Faith would be rewarded.

            Sul shouted, “I will defend my brothers and sisters. Beyond all known stars. No matter the cost.”

            The cool metal flowed across their bodies.

            Their new armor gleamed gold, black, and silver.

            The ship rejoiced. “By the Power and Blessings of the Highest. May you bring fear to all those who cloak themselves within Unity’s foul embrace.”

            They had been reborn.

Issue 20: Here

Issue 22: Here

2 comments:

  1. I'm still wondering what is the differenice between VI and AI in this universe or is like Mass Effect. Also curious spark so all electronic intelligenice is sapienice thanks to Goldenlight?

    Though it is intresting no mirrors for the AI no All-Father or Set versions of Highmaker and the others. At least not yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will see. Just like another season 1 the wider state of things will be revealed.VI are pretty sophisticated machines but its the Ascended AI who really dive into other aspects. Jupiter, Horus and Goldenlight are just the start of it. Along with Highmaker. They have their own network/superhero team of sorts. Emris too. Its just one of those things I havent directly highlighted just yet.

      But another hint came from Chronos way back in Book 0. Some of Unity's factions find VIs or AIs to be just tools.

      Delete