Monday, April 18, 2022

The Uplift Protocol Interlude: Upon the Pyre Goes The Spoils

 

Interlude: Upon the Pyre Goes the Spoils

 

            Each move has a counter. The Order has always known this. We follow the Path set before us!—Chronicles of Noah

            I sent Gwen and a few others aboard the Jupiter to get them out of this line of fire. J’ino understands. She doesn’t like it one iota but in this case? My son and I must be dangerous. My wife sees the best in me. This battle will require much. It must be won. Dexter revealed a secret of the enemy. There are no “living” slaves aboard that ship. Their souls are gone.—Thomas Murphy

            This planet? It was linked with my immune system. I could feel everything upon its surface. Every life link. The dark splotches? Morgana and the Owls.—Lorain Lanis

            The Paradise Planet? It was a wonderful place. Built from the ground up to beguile the Owls of all shapes and sizes. All the players on that board were volunteers. To protect the outer territories of the UEF. The cover was a resort. But each layer below the surface? A Shield World. I see now why my father sent Teddy, Gwen, and Anna to us. They were familiar with the operations of higher demons. But this set wasn’t out to get Gwen.—Sleeping in Starlight: Beyond the Breach Wars

 

Thanan Territory (Eternal Empire Universe)

Outer Reaches

April 20th, 2136

 

          I headbutted the closest White Owl.

 Feathers zigzagged all over as my fingers closed about its throat. Lo’tarr’s energy beams blazed past. Turned another bird into a mote of atoms. Since this universe was surrounded by evil I had no hesitations about launching it into the depths of space. The remains an offering to the Highest. I would guard the Twilight Throne. In my mind that meant a level of action was required. If Eliza was the face of our endeavor? Dexter and myself? We were the ones in the trenches with the flamethrowers against demonic forces. A faint hiss hit my ears as the owl attempted to shift its shape to its war form. Energy shot out from my eyes and disintegrated its head from its shoulders. These were minor Owls.

I kicked the carcass expertly. It careened into a group of Brood Berserkers. The eerie illumination of a lantern crisscrossed against the fires of battle. The Children of Chains. A ball of fire erupted between me and the closest one. Sunburst. I cracked a smile. A chip off the old Murphy and Lanis block. Even if he technically wasn’t mine. What a universe. I’d need a roadmap to keep track of everyone.

 HeroNet announced, ///Incoming Protectorate Forces.///

The space around me distorted. I balanced on an asteroid and then launched from the craggy surface. Aimed a particularly vicious double kick to one of the void pirates that decided to go full combat suit. Pucker up. His comatose form bounced off the outer layers of his rickety ship. Another artock to my Third Eye sensor range. No captured Gemini in the whole lot.

The Viper’s twisted visage manifested against the anti-grav lazer light show.

His deep blue eyes were wild against the green of his upper mask.

<<Transit!>>

Lo’tar shouted, <<WARP INCOMING!>>

I intoned, //M:M\\!

Violet energy encased everyone who appeared friendly to my Third Eye. Dexter linked in, <<Reroute secondary fire! Phalanx formation! Yes, I know the star charts are wrong. Keep calm!>>

I could no longer hear the heartbeat of my home territory.

What was this place?!

I yelled a warcry and launched myself at the Viper’s Flagship.

*****

            Thomas Murphy shouted, “Overwatch! Dawnbreaker!”

            Only half the fleet responded. The rest had disappeared with the wave of white light. No owls. Pirates. Nothing. He messaged J’ino.

            The line was dead.

            He reached out with his battle sense. Where the flashes had occurred? Space contorted. They were there. Yet not. One moment flickering within this universe. The next? His mind went numb with the overflow of enemy combatants. Not just of his era. The past, present, and future co-mingled here. A battlefield of pure chaos.

            A  statuesque woman stepped onto the bridge.

Her silver hair boasted streaks of brown at the temples. Thomas knew those eyes. Eliza held out her hand, “….and now we get to the confusing part of the story…..”

Thomas shook his head, “This is the confusing part? Space Cadet….”

Her uniform was a mix of white and silver. She thumped a spear against the bulkhead. <<Attention all Arcane Forces, 42nd-century divisional brigade, Protectorate ancillary, and those within the Personal Guard, we are within the Tessaract of Time. Hear me and understand the Languages of All.>>

He saw her brush away a tear. “I missed hearing that.”

Thomas saw the faintest hint of crow's feet around the edges.

She said, “The Vigil remains. I will stay true.”

His mind reeled. A thought made him stop short. Just how old would she become?!

She hugged him. He returned it out of sheer habit. The light brush of feathers met his fingertips as he patted her on the back. No visible sign but he knew they were there. Eons of time flowed from those gray eyes. Countless Eons.

He whispered, “Is Earth….”

She replied, “Oh yes. Had to move it a few times.”

//Query: Lifecycle of a standard yellow sun.//

He pushed back the tight feeling in his throat.

Eliza met his gaze.

“3 times so far.”

He reached out and cupped the sides of her face.

He said, “Here I thought my tour of duty was…..”

She sighed softly. The emotions played over her face. A sense of contentment rolled off her as waves against a shore.

“For each lighthouse? A keeper. For all the lights within the sea. The Vigil remains.”

Doc peered around from Eliza’s right. Thomas couldn’t control his shock. She appeared exactly the same. No visible sign of aging. He knew this was coming but to have it confirmed was another matter. She smiled at him. “Nice to see you again Mr. Murphy.”

He replied, “How does keeping you and my daughter alive for that long help?”

Doc said, “We aren’t conscious for all of it. We sleep and are summoned when needed.”

Eliza added, “We are the bridge. It is needed. No more. No less.”

Thomas said, “What do I need to do then?”

*****

            That voice. It was Eliza. Not the inexperienced bearer of the present. The one who encompassed all. Vigil’s End. Protector of the Sheild World Elysium. The outermost Sheild World in existence that controlled the flow of the multiverse. My fists slammed against the surface of the Viper’s flag ship. Hairline fractures appeared on the hull. A hand encased in silver armor pulled me away. One heartbeat later I was on the bridge next to Thomas Murphy.  

She began curtly, “You must find the Orrery. Before the Viper does.”

            I waved towards the sensory displays, “My son and husband….”

            She bowed, “Will have my help.” In a shimmer of silver light, she was gone.

            We were inside a tesseract.

            Lovely.

            Thomas charged his custom rifle. Its matted black surface was immaculate. “Shall we?”

            His battle rig helm clicked into place with a sharp hiss.

            I checked the date. Confirmed my suspicions.

            Error. Error. Error. Unable to detect.

Switching to Arcane Order calculations.

            //Phase 3 Arbiter: Post Unity Containment. Phase 2 Twilight Throne Bearer Present. Updating Temporal Dead Drops.//

            I remarked, “One of these days I just want to be bored out of my skull.”

            Silver Fox’s amusement shot through the Thronebearer line.

            I crossed my arms, “Don’t you tell me a darned thing. The Highest already has me on speed dial. He has you on DEFCON END OF LINE. "

            She wasn’t able to argue with that. I linked with Murphy as we raced towards the airlock. “The one on high thought of everything.”

            Thomas said, “Indeed. My quirk with my battle sense should help us find the dead zones. Even if the Viper has Eddie’s abilities….”

            I nodded, “It won’t be hidden by magic or tech.”

            It would be hidden within the chaos of the Tessaract.

            Lo’tarr and my son appeared in a shower of silver waves.

            My husband said, “Your name. I will find your name here.”

            White Lightning hopped from one foot to the next, “Fully realized Arbiter is scary. Just sayin!” He held up his hands towards Thomas Murphy. If the General was fazed by that I couldn’t tell. Unlike Eliza, I wasn’t a full bore empath. The clicks of paws drew our attention to the seal behind us. Several Bardaxians. He wasn't a Doberman. A different but similar breed.

            The lead Bardaxian said, <<Reporting for duty!>>

            One for the record books.

            INet informed me of their dossiers. At least that was working.

            “Alright, Mr. Watson!” The Basset Hound perked up.

            “I want you and that beagle there to grab some holy sparklers from the armory.”

            I wanted to make sure I was going with divine nuclear warheads. The Birds would never see them coming. Special delivery!

Lo’tarr called out, “Let’s do this proper! Get 9 of them!”

Issue 25: Here

Book 9 Blood Feuds: Prologue  Here

No comments:

Post a Comment