Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Uplift Protocol Union: Issue 25

 

Issue 25: Tessaract of Will

 

            In the Golden Host? 9 Thronebearers reigned supreme. Their light and mercy guided Elysium for countless millennia.—Annals of Elysium

            As we have the nine on high? Unity has the 9 below. Not all are White Owl Apex Demons. Lucifer’s mantle was given to another.—Hidan

            Would I do it all again? Funny you should say that…..—Ta’mathon

            I was still acclimating to my new set of powers. Ur-Memory could fill in some gaps but facing down Unity’s equivalent to myself and Dexter? It made me glad I had Cooper, Doc, and the Brothers present. Every fiber of my being wanted to strike those demons down. We nearly succeeded but protecting life came first.—Sleeping in Starlight: Convergence vol 10

Outer Corona of the Star

Bulwark System (Edenverse)

April 20th, 2136

 

            He awoke. This was horrid. Elysium had fallen.

            Lucifer had betrayed the Golden Host. This was not his form. Black Scrawl wrapped tightly about the crystal. Unable to breach the innermost portions of his soul. Every time one of the wraith-edged tendrils attempted it? It would explode into ash. The words for //U:U\\ surrounded him. Lucifer had bound him to this evil.

Another one of his kind was close. He had to reach out.

            He roared, “//I:I||I:I\\!”

            The corrupted flesh around him tore to reveal an area of space he was unfamiliar with. They were circling a bright yellow sun. A woman with red, white, and blue markings floated before him. The white divine fire of a Thronebearer blazed outward. Smoking the flesh of demons.

*****

 

            I spat.

Crimson flecks crystallized for a split second then burned up in the glow of the outer corona of the star. Gulliver called out along the Omega Line, <<Almost in position!>> His voice rose as he continued, <<It cant be….>>

            A thread of golden light hit my chest, >>Little One of the Sea. Lucifer has betrayed us all. No time.<<

            Memory flooded my brain.

The outer world fell away as my eyelids closed.

When I opened them a moment later? I held my right arm out, “//W:W\\!”

My spear solidified. I thrust the tip of my 9 points into a downward arc. The twin Owls howled. Each point of my spear represented the true pantheon. Even as the flesh along my forearms burned I reached inside and plucked him away from the enemy. They fled into the abyss. Not from the system. Into the Weave. I winced as Doc’s hands probed my forehead. My cheeks. I cracked open one eye. Gave her a hearty smile, >>Glad I have you on hand!<<

            Her glance hardened. >>I am not losing you to the likes of those horrors.<<

            As the healing rays knitted torn bone and flesh Trouble appeared in a burst of energy.

            <<Gulliver tracks them. They seek the Arcway within!>>

            I opened my palm. The golden shard pulsated gently.

            He commanded, >>Place me upon your spear. THE GOLDEN HOST SHALL RISE!<<

            One prong reformed. Golden and silver. The uppermost spike shifted. A blazing Lantern formed underneath the sharp edge. A man clothed in blue robes, a silver belt across his waist held out his hand to me.

            “I am Gabriel. May the gift of the Highest walk with you. Even within the darkest places.”

            I linked with Arcane Net.

//Query: the 7 Arch Angels. Arbiter Phase 1 Clearance//

I eyed the Alliance Hauler. <<Battle Fleet Sections 1-5, follow me into the Weave. The rest? Guard this system.>>

*****

            Pyra wiped the sweat from her brow.

“Why in the hell is she bringing us along damn it?!”

            Snake Charmer retorted harshly, “Because we are a HAULER. We have extra space for the injured. They will put us on the back burner you fool!” Pyra crossed her arms. Her face was hot red. Sparks rose from her hair. “Pretending sucks.”

That Arcane Battleship had already repaired Little Italy’s engines. She watched its sleek hull jealously. It reminded her of a white hawk. Its silver fires brightened the semi-dark of the Weave space around them. She squinted. “That ship….” Medusa gagged.

“It's quite on the nose. With a wide wingspan that mimics angelic tendencies.”

Medusa’s eyes watered. She couldn’t bear to linger on the sigils.

“Ship, close all holographic ports.” The room settled into an artificial light of midday.

How could this day get worse?

*****

            I listened to Pyra complain. I wouldn’t put the Hauler in the front. No. I dragged them along with the fleet to let them think their cover was still intact. The demonic Hollowed Ones wanted the Arcway to escape. I wouldn’t let them kill the sun. Covert it to another dread star. A terrifying aspect. Instead of the life-bearing rays of a normal sun? It would echo with the corruption of Unity. A slow death. To convert more biomatter into the Living Stone network. People would become zombies in every sense. Wasting away until only the physical form remained. Whatever pain I had to endure? I would stop that.

            It took a tremendous amount of power to convert suns.

            That was the advantage we had. They couldn’t just plant the seed of conversion everywhere. But these suns could network across a dark version of the Arcane Network and its Shield Worlds. I would not allow a foothold. The dark curve of the Arcway rose in the distance. Two massive ghostly white shapes repeatedly smashed themselves against the entry point. I charged. Gabriel blew his horn. Its clarion call flowed over the jagged edges of Weave Space. Turning the area from the dark red of corruption to the clear golden glow of the Highest.

            My spear hummed in my hands as I threw it towards the marbled surface. It shifted. Pristine white stone figures came alive. They grabbed at the Hollowed Owled pair. Smoke rose from the pale milky skin where the stone grazed it. A black orb expanded. They phased through it. I landed and reclaimed my weapon. This was far from over.

            Three hours remained before the stasis pods would open.

            Medusa and Snake Charmer’s roles would come into play.

            Cooper circled above. His green defender armor sustained damage from twin white snakes. I planted my spear into the Arcway’s uppermost tier. It sang. Statues began firing. The great stone arrows broke apart. I pulled Cooper from the fray. The stone wouldn’t touch my skin. Cooper’s ears flattened against his skull. He barked out a warning cry, <<Enemy!>>

            I planted a roundhouse kick. Morgana went flying.

The hideous corpse cackled. Its teeth extended. “Eat the children. Devour them all!” Venom dripped. Her hands sharpened to claws.

She screamed, “Your tears are sterile! No life shall issue from your womb!”

If Abyzou thought that would work on me. No, it was not meant for me.

Morgana keened as bright golden crosses surrounded her. The corpse exploded as the Olympia fired into the sector. It was time to spring the Eternal Empire on the Snake Duo. Doc placed an energy barrier around the corpse. I motioned to her, >>We have to take that corpse from this system. Don’t put it on the ship.<<

The Olympia pulled alongside. It released an obsidian crystal. The material flowed over Morgana. Ur Flow echoed through my brain. The same type of stone that had entombed Lilith as the mummy sorceress, Renenutet.

 Within Elysium.

Then once more aboard the Jupiter Rising.

Her body would serve one more purpose. Just not the way Unity wanted.

*****

            Snake Charmer plastered a welcoming smile on his face. “What's the cargo?” Two stasis units floated in. Gold and green energy combined to move them to the central storage bay. A timer in bold blue lettering indicated 1 hour left. The Star-Spangled Banner planted her hands on her hips. Knuckles against her belt. The iconic pose. Those bright teeth. Nix hurried over before Charmer could throw a punch.

            “Yes, where do you need these?”

            She said, “Take the Arcway to Union Point 2.5569.”

            Pyra entered, “The Resort Planet?!”

            Star nodded. She held up enough tickets for all of them. Medusa frowned, “Who are the two extra for?” Pyra shoved the former snake woman. Glad they all had augmented their features. “Who’d you think! The ice cubes!”

*****

            J’anu opened her eyes. Human faces peered down at her.

A tall blonde asked, “Who are they supposed to be?” J’anu brought up her HUD. Her vitals had changed. Human standard. Ta’rammon moved the crew out of the way. She knew it was him because their bond snapped into place once he picked her up out of the stasis pod. His features were swathed in a lighter skin tone. A styled ash-blonde beard cut neatly across his chin. The marker indicated they were within a sector of space called Paradise Falls. A message popped up.

//The corpse of Morgana is contained for now. You still have the Owls on your tail. We’ve given you hidden identities. You are Rachel Delis. Your husband, David Delis, is a contractor for the Union Civil Corps. An extension of the United Earth Front’s frontier sector. You are on holiday. Additional data is as follows…..//

            J’anu gawked. They were teamed up with Eliza Murphy.

            She glanced about sharply. Was it a trap?!

 Ta’rammon frowned, “Well dear. Let’s set out. The good people of the Italy need time to decompress.” He wrapped his arm around her and lead her down the ramp. The soft call of birds, laughter and the waves of a beachside resort greeted them.  

Paradise Falls

UEF CIC

 

            I greeted Andrew, “Glad you could make it.” Teddy and Anna were already lounging at the main observation dome.  The Irishman hooked his thumb to his earpiece. He cleared his throat, “Dexter’s got an evac plan in place for the slaves. Your father wants…”

            I replied quickly, “Of course.”

I sent the authorization.

            <<Jupiter Rising, activate Phase One artillery and Arbiter moduals. Assist my father in any way you can.>>

            The VI’s voice trilled back across the distance, <<Understood!>>

            For the safety of the citizens, all the tourists currently on the planet were UEF personnel. Down to the janitor. I grinned when Golden Bulleteer’s visage filled the HUD. <<So? How many of us do you want at this party?>>

            <<All you can spare.>>

            His eyebrows rose. His dynamo mask was that familiar black.

            <<Hey White Lily! We are getting a vacation.>>

            My grandmother clicked her tongue, <<Knowing Star? It will be filled with caveats! But I do like the idea of a beach party!>>

*****

            Gwen shivered. Anna poured another cup of coffee. “We need to do this. To cut those final threads from you.” Gwen replied, “Is that why father and Dexter stayed…..” Teddy leaned back and steepled his hands together. His expression was thoughtful, “Yes. These Apex birds….”

            Gwen snarled, “Arch Demons you mean!”

Teddy winced but followed through. Anna pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed.

“Yes.” Her voice filled with loathing. Augustus jumped up into Gwen’s lap. The Howling mirrored the motion when Eliza, Doc, and Cooper joined them.

*****

            I pulled out a chair for everyone else. Zipped back and forth until all the food was prepped. I put an extra portion of fries on Gwen’s plate. This settled her aura. “I know. But in my current state? I can bearly fend off one set of them.” Anna asked bluntly, “Why is that?”

            “I am not at full power yet. Two more phases to go.”

            Doc’s head dipped. Her expression evened out. I realized she was scanning the room. Her powers had gotten a boost. Trouble quacked, <<If we work with Mama it will be ok.>> Teddy held out a piece of pizza to the black feathered duck. He took it in his beak. Nearly eating the whole piece in one go. Now I understood their huge appities. But it didn’t mean all of the duck kind out there was cherub enhanced.

Gabriel exclaimed within the Throne Line: >>Uriel lives!<<

            Aether’s face formed.

            I reached out. He responded, >>I will follow. Our path is set.<<

He cut the connection. I smiled. At least I would get to see Mr. Marshall once more.

We only had to get past a trap. One set for the original Thronebearers so long ago.

Dexter linked in, >>One small step for Man….<<

Gulliver interjected, >>One giant leap for Duck Kind!<<

I lifted him into my arms. The Howling squeezed between myself and Lorain.

*****

            The obsidian chamber rested silently upon the frigid shores of the Paradise Planet. While 80% of the surface was terriformed to be a paradise, the ice caps remained as pristine as the day they formed. The frigid temperature would keep the corpse immobile. Each sigil melted away by centimeters. It would hatch. Not of its own accord. Twin shapes hopped across the surface until they rested upon the long cylinder. White wings curled around black-tipped bodies. Black beaks snapped at the hated wards. The Sister asked, “Mother is sad. But we are moving the other captured ones. Yes. Won’t let Murphy near us!”

            The Brother cooed, “Indeed. Over confidant. So many universes consumed to the Glory of Unity.”  The Hollowed Ones settled in to wait. The Arbiter’s plan would fail. They would have the Urraden woman. Honor would make the Star-Spangled Banner weak. Just as it made her weak within the Halls of Glory. The Vagabond Angel. A home with no Crown.

            They drifted. This universe wasn’t nearly as bright as Eden. Twilight fell across the world. They seethed at the bright specks of life. Wicked useless creatures of Man. The Brother paused, “They are here as well. The Little Wings.”

            Sister spat, “She relies on the smallest of us. How quaint.”

            Brother replied, “Using the Lantern’s power weakened her. We shall feast and take him back to Mother.” So noble. Proud. The Highest created them all but prized his Thronebearers above all else. Even their mother was rejected. Beautiful. Kind.

            Eternal.

            Black claws ground into the obsidian surface.

            Awaken!

            Morgana screamed as her soul re-entered her body. 

Issue 24: Here

Interlude// Upon the Pyre Goes the Spoils: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment