Thursday, July 14, 2022

The Uplift Protocol Blood Feuds: Issue 25

 

Issue 25: Bel Redux

 

            It has my body but no longer controls my mind or soul. The best way I can help? Repent for the small crimes I did while alive. The problem with taking a person’s body? Even Unity doesn’t know all the back doors.—Catherine Bel, aka “The Eventide Specter”

            There is another out there. Lucifer knows this. We shall force it from him.—Unity

            I thought I was in the thick of it. My brother knew. He had always known. I don’t blame him for keeping everyone in the dark. Even myself. If we were to win? I would be the one to channel those building blocks. The ones that Abbadon denied.—Sleeping in Starlight: Final Protocol

Earth

The Weave

Deep Veil

           

Colors swirled around me. My grandfather followed.

His face was composed. He had been to the inner portions of the Weave. What those called the Veil. That thin line between worlds. Between realities. It brushed up against the Night Realm. Captain Overwatch governed powers I didn’t fully comprehend.  Her silver and purple armor glinted within the twilight of the sky around us.

Saira waved us forward, “Phase Two.”

A silver burst of light transported us.

Wheat rose from rolling fields. A white oak table. 8 figures awaited. My parents. Sir Avalon. Ta’mathon. Proctor Gansys. I waved. The other three waved back. The oldest demi wore a simple white shirt and jeans. Her face lined with age. The second had a jaunty black uniform on. The overcoat was House Murphy patterns. While the third was decked out in the Avatar of the Sands gear. Each image shimmered.

V’alkor smiled, “A bit more of Me, Myself and I.”

Silver Fox clapped her hands together. “I missed that. Heya Grandpa Wolf.”

I said as we reached the table, “Sol is the Last Line of Defence for Earth and Eden. What does that mean for the Twin Suns of Typha?”

*****

            I motioned to my parents. Via the Unseen Channel.

            ///Abbadon will find the spirit pyramid in the Night Realm. Dexter will draw enough Amarche there for the bait to stick. I know that look Ma! We aren’t sacrificing them. They are animating Sleeves. Not of Terran design though. Hatheon. He keeps saying that Tears line but he doesn’t know the half of it.///

            My father nodded. By the set of his shoulders, he knew the battle plan to a point. Being the 3rd Phase Life Thronebearer had perks but I didn’t want to muddle the temporal. I had forgotten how easily my Mother could handle multiple conversations.

            She flexed her fingers. The High Tounge. That trip to Elysium had made an impression.

            Good. But do we have enough to fool Chronos’ forces?

            I tapped my ring finger. Golden City era Eliza piped up with a few lines.

            “All three of those stars are going to help us in the 2nd phase. The Ark of the Covenant is a sapient alarm system. Designed to—she mimicked the movements of a Sleeve –control assets.”

            My past self did a double take, “But don’t they need….”

Our other self finished, “Beyond a regular human brain piloting them from afar. They will jump from system to system after a certain point. To keep Chronos distracted. He’s one of Abbadon’s backup skin suits.”

Mom glared, “Lovely.” Her hands moved once more.

How does letting this Red King know about his backups via Unity’s Memory Shroud help us?

My words made my parents sit up straiter.

///We want Thoth to be his only option. The only way he can come into the physical world properly. Hilary will succeed in poisoning her father. His Sleeve form will become useless.///

Dad’s fingers danced.

Are all of Chronos and his minions' Sleeves?

I nodded slowly.

///They all share a seed of Abbadon. The Red King uses the Flesh of Unity and the souls it has acquired to slice off bits of people. Add a sliver of soul shard to animate them. It's why the basic Void Walkers dissipate upon death.///

J’ino muttered, “All to mock Aether and the J’kua.”

I pressed my lips together. Lost in thought.

If they only knew what that J’kua would unleash. Karma would be knocking.

*****

            I paced, “But why tell me this? Won’t they know when I die again?”

            Silver Fox stated clearly, “Yep. This time we are feeding them information on purpose.”

            I scratched my chin, “The first time was my complete ignorance.”

            Mom crossed her arms and gave my oldest self a “You are Grounded” expression.

            Saira said, “I have to admit I am sorely glad I don’t have your job, Eliza. Too confusing.”

            I grinned ruefully, “One of us had to be swissed! Might as well roll with it.” If it saved trillions upon trillions from Unity and the Red King? I’d call that a win any day of the week. Dad gave me a double thumbs up while Ta’mathon spoke heavily coded Egyptian to Sands Classic.

            That version of me glanced up and winked. “Remember when the biggest events were crazy cavemen from hollow earths or T-Rex in SPAAAAAAAAAACE!”

            I replied, “Will things be simpler?”

            Silver Fox interjected, “Provided we win.”

            I blurted out, “Second Death is the Bad Information Arc. So it’s the 3rd phase that will be the deal breaker.”

            Silver Fox held up three fingers. “Make the enemy overextend itself. Force it out into the open. Cleanse it with Divine Fire.”

            Sands Classic added, “Oh boy. It’s all coming together now.”

            House Murphy Military era version blew out a long breath, “When do I have to connect the Ark of the Covenant system to our trio of Ship Sisters.” The phrasing was strange to me but based on Sir Avalon’s reaction? He knew exactly what future I was alluding to.

*****

            As the Arbiter or Avatar of the Sands, I made a few quick calculations, “Place History 2 at these coordinates. “ That was our code for Jupiter Rising. Her sister ships would be positioned across the temporal spaces to help direct the energy of the Covenant across all vectors of time and space. The math was too much for me to handle but they would know what to do. It still rattled me that they were what the Terrans had called the Moirai.

            Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos.

            Jupiter resided in the present. Lachesis.

            When in the past? Clotho resided.

            Future belonged to Atropos.

            So whenever Jupiter had to jump anywhere? Past, present or future? Her two sisters compensated by jumping further or back in time. Based on their dominion. The Highest had never put all his time weapons in one basket. The Icath rulers just wanted to be the blatant target. I wish I could tell my past version what all this meant but it would ruin carefully laid plans. Silver Fox motioned with her fingers. Super speed.

Faster than what my other past selves could detect.

            The Third Trial will be when we can lure Abbadon into Thoth’s body permanently. Tell Eddie, Arthon, and Robin to be ready. Cleansing the shards of the First Blade was a good start. The Vigil remains.

            Not just our Vigil. It was the only way we could speak of Dexter’s mantle.

            A multiverse where nothing dies?

It would make Unity look like a pale reflection of paradise. The cycle would need to be restored. Not only for the souls trapped by Unity but for the Night Realm itself. The Red King’s Dominion had to end. Samantha’s voice crackled in my ear, “Ta’mathon found the Leyline site. How’s that meeting of Selves going?”

Lorain muttered, “Hold still. I have to fix that…..”

Behind me, the half-finished Golden City rose from the sands. We would be here for another 100 years getting the proper materials and people in place for Earth to form into the Terran Alliance. I pulled away from the Holo matrix. The sigils for Time kept me stabilized within the feed. I made a few gestures to make sure no sound reached that place.

Samantha’s hair was pulled up into a braided bun.

“About how I remember.”

She rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet.

“How does Bel fit into all of this?”

I held my breath. I had no idea how’d I breach that subject.

Sy’taran

Abbadon’s Seat of Power

3rd Layer of the Night Realm

 

            Unity strode across the pits.

Souls howled at her feet. This body would serve until another suitable host came along. Bel had interesting qualities. It was unfortunate that they couldn’t question that particular soul. No matter what blood ritual was used? They could not locate her within the Ouroboros Requilaries or the Plains of the Dead. The In-between was plagued with that Twilight Thronebearer. But that place was for those who committed suicide or infanticide. The domain of Lost Souls. She could not hide there. For in her mortal life she had been a common thief. Her demi power made that life quite interesting.

Men would die for her. So would women. The young. The old. It didn’t matter.

            Abbadon snarled, “Why are you here? I require souls for the ritual.”

            Unity stilled.

            She genuflected. “I cannot find the Soul Shard of Catherine Bel.”

            The red cowled shape drifted closer. Twin red stars sparked within the darkness of its hood. Satan took over the body. His deep voice troubled, “That should not be possible.”

            Abbadon hissed, “My brother places a weapon within.”

            Leviathan spat on the ground. Smoke rose.

            “It is a distraction. What can one weak human soul do to us?!”

            Abbadon backhanded Unity. Her form went sprawling. The flesh on her legs cracked as they touched the lava. A constant hit of regeneration made the skin renew and then dissolved once more as the flow ran against her prostrate form.

            The Red King summoned Meathook, “While Karvax taunts the Golden Bulleteer I wish you to seek a certain soul. The Highest isn’t as clever as he believes.”

*****

            Catherine Bel whispered, “The Trail thickens.” She wasn’t listed in the HeroNet files. Only known as the Eventide Specter. Many in the magical community assumed it was a callsign to hide a whole group. Demis who could talk to the dead. Light Shamans could do so but the Brookes family had ties all their own. Alice Brookes, formerly Haden, peered upward. The welcoming blue sky was filled with the sound of birds. New Ashbury had been quiet for years. That would end. The Golden Bulleteer was in danger. They would come for him. She turned on her heel. The red-bearded face of Robin Hood materialized on her HUD.

            <<Death walks among the Reeds.>>

            Robin’s expression hardened, <<I’ll warn the Redeemers. All-Hands level.>>

            Another Icon appeared. Morrigan cawed into the pickup. Unity would not have his soul.

*****

            I flew over the skyline of New Ashbury. It was good to be back home.

 I loved space. Loved exploring but this was where everything started.  The meeting had gone well but I could tell that Sir Avalon had been waiting until I had left to let my other selves have it. My father’s parting message helped ease the confusion. ///Your end cycle self told me that you’d be needed back on Earth. Do what you do best!///

My HUD flickered and Eddie’s voice came over the line. <<HeroNet wants us at Union Hall 5 minutes ago!>> Even as he finished the line I landed on the outer balcony of the uppermost spire. The rest of the Redeemers teleported in from all corners. Fancy new tech. My smile dimmed as I saw the devastated expression on White Lily’s face.

            She couldn’t even get the words out. Her eyes were puffy. Even behind the dynamo mask.

            I focused on my grandfather’s heartbeat. It was steady. I could hear Doc cursing softly, “Everything is here but….”

            I reached out with my Thronebearer senses. His mind was there. The memories. But his soul shard was outside his body. The silver tether barely connected. A woman with mousy brown hair stepped out. She linked with me on a private channel, <<I am Alice Brookes. Your Grandfather is within the Duat.>>

            A ghostly form clung to the woman. Her eyes were a bright blue.

            Catherine Bel.

Issue 24: Here

Issue 26: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment