Tuesday, February 14, 2023

This Reader's Checklist!




What I look for in Books! (Reminder this is just my personal hooks or what motivates me to finish a book or comic ect.) 

  • Wheelhouse preferred? Space Fantasy. Wizards alongside Lazer Swords! Pew Pew!
  • Stoic Guys Rescuing the Space Princesses! 
  • Those same Space Princesses helping their man to become the ultimate Battle Couple! 
  • Initial Hooks? Overall Mystery within the Setting. Not starting off on an introspective Character Moment. Since I'm not attached to the characters yet. Save that stuff for mid book. 
  • Have a main POV character that is an eternal optimist. Even if it doesn't meet "real/our world" expectations.
If your setting will have a bit of wartime scenarios in it? I hope it will end on a hopeful/lighter note than what most post modern puts out. (IE we all suck and everyone's gonna die.)

It's okay to publish passion projects. Not everything will sell like gangbusters akin to Wizard Potter or even Twilight. (Even if we'd all love to see even 20% of that kinda money.)
  • I prefer romantic side stories between "one true loves!"
  • I understand that triangles help with certain kinds of drama but its not my primary motivator to read within a book.
  • If you have slowburn elements? I prefer them in the meta arc plot. Or over arc plot.
  • Actions get me attached to characters.

My goal with writing? To make more stories that fit what I want out of a plot. Even if that only leads to say 200-300 bucks a month in side income sales per month once my backlog gets big enough. I never want writing to feel like my retail job.

IE: An obligation just to pay off bills. Writing is an escape for me. From the daily grind of home, bills,. even some family obligations. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment