Thursday, February 16, 2023

Variety of Tone: Does it have to be R or X Rated to be Considered Adult?

 


    I link this quote mainly because in most stories? Aimed at adults in particular? They want every element explained even if the setting is Superheroes Punching Dinosaurs. What old school books like Narnia have in spades:

  • Consistency
  • Adventure
  • Straightforward Origins 
    Motivations are plain. Good vs Evil. I value consistency moreso than Explaining everything under the hood of the setting. I listed Uplift Protocol as Rated R for two primary reasons: There is some cursing due to the Murphy Jar Joke. Star herself doesn't curse. But those around her will ever so often. That is a deal breaker for some readers based on reviews I've seen. They weren't warned about cursing or implied situations and they wanted to find books that cater more towards their kids. Say 10-16. 

    Two: Cosmic Horror Elements. A good chunk of my badguys esp the void walkers have elements that would fit in the Alien or Event Horizon movie. But unlike those movies I have more implied creepy crawling a decent chunk of the time. Hilary's on page physical transformation from her human form to Keeper form was one of the blatantly creepy moments. So I auto listed it beyond even PG-13. 

    I even asked my readers what they would list it as. R-rating was the primary response. 

    The Felstaff Mysteries will be PG. Even more lighthearted than the good guy portions of Uplift Protocol. (Heavily taking theme pages from Narnia) because not everything needs R rated or X rated elements. Even most of Uplift's Novellas are lighter in tone much like the earlier mainline books. But I plan on having the final book be the "tie a bow" on it ending. Book 11 even has a preview of the end slate Universe that is planned by the Oversoul. 

    Grimdark offerings often go to 11 to showcase the depravity of the world. In UP? I mostly imply the horrid factor of the villains. I let human imagination fill in the gaps. It's why they aren't showcased as often as the heroes of my series. Its a preference I have. In the modern age? R rated usually ends up throwing in everything + the kitchen sink of: Blood, Guts, Gore, In your Face bedroom setups. I imagine that modern offerings would likely be X-rated during my parents day or grandparents day are showcased as R. 

    You can still go R level without being overwhelmingly gratuitous. If you want the TL;DR. 

    Even a fair amount of the Superversive offerings I read do have R rated elements but they usually don't go to Berserk level about it. Its easier to find everyone's take on a grimdark world. What stands out to me is when someone goes in the opposite direction. A setting that is made to be hopeful or heroic is an oasis in the seas of Grim and Dystopia. 

    Most don't even go to the level I did with Uplift Protocol. In terms of an Open Trust Society. 

    Hope brings more to the table for my Willing Suspension of Disbelief than not.

Even though this game here is well built? Even after playing for 10 hrs or so? I know it won't have a hopeful ending. Which is why I am taking a break. It has R rated elements but they aren't over the top in most cases.


    If you are to implement "deconstructionist" elements? Leave them in a world you primarily label as post apoc or dystopian. It means you will be surfing in a beyond flooded market. Much like YA or Romances. Bloated beyond belief. Most websites don't have a decent way to list themes of books or even elements to add/avoid.


I do appreciate that the Superhero network site added a Tone Tag: Light.

I realize many, even if they have heroic work in their books, will add "adult roofing". But appeal to adults shouldn't always = Lets add blood, sex, snark, and cursing for the heck of it. The Fantastic elements need not be constrained to our world physics either. 

    It's why we need variety in writers. Don't just try to cash in on trends.

    Otherwise I'll have another set of "themes or elements" to try to "-" out of my Amazon search misadventures. PS: The "Grimdark" settings that seem to stand out will have a lighter element running through them. Like Brotherhood or A moment of quiet in the storm. The Hero Finds a New Family. That sort of angle. A reason to live beyond the pain inherent in that kind of setting.

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment