Tuesday, February 25, 2020

How I Stay Motivated.




With reading, writing and other hobbies. (Just my opinion.)

One: Take a break from the Culture War, I don't ignore it but when my tank gets full, I leave it on the sidelines for a while. Sometimes a person can only keep going back to that well before it overflows and you get burnt out. Or like the Reverend from B5 put it:


IE: I'd rather put my energy into helping writers out by putting more in the cookie jar. Because coffee needs something to go with it.

Two: If old institutions of entertainment are failing, build your own, even if the audience for it is small now, it will grow with time. Find others that feel the same way. Like one long chain of writers who want to have fun. Re-read old favorites if what's on the market sucks. You don't have to give attention and money to things that aren't entertaining you.

Three: Tribalism is a double edged sword that can cut both ways. IT doesn't matter what format its in either, to movies, books, companies, comics ect. If something isnt up to par anymore, don't keep feeding those negative feelings. Remember to keep positive/creative outlets going. :D

Most movements fragment over time. I just wish there was a way to promote what you enjoy without worrying about who vs who is happening. So the way I go about it is: Just love what you want. Find alternatives that catch your attention. Feels like its a giant maze of who hates who when it comes to the indie scene of comics atm. So instead of hating x y or z, I'll just find more sci fi and superheroes to enjoy.

As for writing: More insights!


  • Just like artists, keep a visual references of different places in your book and/or series. Doesn't have to be the exact thing but something close to it so you can have a base point. I look at various pinterest concept images to keep some ideas strait.
  • Keep notes on each chapter, what you might want to add or take away later. Also helps keep the plot timeline in order. For me at least.
  • Always have paper and pen ready. Even in the bathroom or at work.
  • Keep a Character Checklist. Even if its personality or appearance notes (very useful for superhero costumes too) For the 2ndary and 3 string characters too.
  • I find Its useful to do separate time lines/events for the heroes and the villains. Just to see who is doing what. Always in motion the future is. :P 
Its been one heck of a ride. Here's to more fun and bookmas for the year. My wallet is in rebellion mode. To appease it I'll wait til proper payday.  Gonna listen to my own advice:
  • Read more stuff that entertains, moves you, makes you think, whatever that may be. 
Cause what's the most important thing? Get your projects out there and help make readers into happy readers. Offer them a buffet of awesome. This reader is happy to help writers she enjoys :D

Seriously, watch B5, its great. Love it to bits.

I get that there's so many different camps within Comicsgate but I suppose like any movement, sometimes the overall goal gets lost once vacuums appear. Its a whole ton easier to unite against something everyone disagrees with but its much much harder to stay together over something we can all enjoy. If my twitter feed is any indication.

Motivation, I think, is a very internal thing. Something someone has to discover. Sometimes it comes easier then other days but each day brings something new. Writing and reading give me the good kind of dopamine hits to the brain. Plus I do enjoy my audiobooks. Gives me some fun while on the road to grandma's 3-4 days a week.

Just got: Master of Sorrows

Besides I did promise to start reading more fantasy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment