Thursday, March 19, 2020

Indie Observations and Reflections

A quick look into how I view indie projects:

  • Online Presence (What the work pro-folio looks like.)
  • What Genre or Genres do they work in and is it relevant to my interests.
  • Proof of concept, (They have a decent sample of what the project is about.)
  • Any history of grifting customers: IE Take the Money and Run or use it for stuff unrelated to a project, cause I understand if excess goes to funding the next entry in a series. Like if you wanted to fund 10 comics in a series and extra milestones go towards making those other issues happen. Or in a book case: Ahh, so that's going towards getting the whole run off the ground.
  • Work Ethic. If I work hard for my money, my biggest hope is that the crowd funder I help is also working just as hard. Because even if my hobby money is for fun things, its still a contract between parties. 
Observations and Ruminations:

  • Black Listing People, it's why I've got quite a few things muted when it comes to comics mostly. Dear god. Guilt by association. Fair Weather alliances. Really? I see myself as a rather simple woman in the sense of: Give Money to Get Entertainment/Escapism. That means from stuff I even agree with Politically most times. Because its the 24 hr cycle nowadays. What part of "GETTING AWAY FROM PARTISAN BS" do people not understand?
  • This revolving door of who vs who only hurts creators and readers/patrons. If you agree to team up with other creators to do things for your customers, then do the thing, don't give into "concerned about X Y or Z association." It burns bridges and creates the very thing most creatives wanted to get away from: Gatekeeping. To keep people apart because of some guilt test.
  • SJWs aren't the only Sharks tearing one another apart. If we want to make new and interesting/entertaining IPs or adventures, backstabbing everyone at the table because tribe purity spiraling isn't going to cut the mustard.
  • Dogpile Mentality: TO be frank, when conservative POVs don't have a clear and defined enemy, they have a tendency to find someone to pile up on as the "DONT ASSOCIATE WITH X! OTHERWISE YOU ARE NOT REAL TRIBE!" For instance, what JDA and Vox Day have to put up with on a daily basis. You don't have to agree with them 100% on politics. What happened to civility?  Agree to disagree and concentrate on working hard to make actual Escapism happen. 
  • These breakdowns always seem to happen, why does someone have to be a leader in anything when it comes to providing something fun and entertaining? 
  • Vox's books really are interesting. As a reader I am glad they exist. Because I appreciate the sheer bluntness he has about issues. He doesn't sugar coat things. 
  • In the Age of Social Media: Everything is a double edged sword but like Kosh said, "Your side, their side and then the Truth." It's easy to get wrapped up in it all. Because drama sells more social clicks. But somewhere in that whole setup is the Truth.
I've chosen a side: My own. For the sake of my own sanity.

To promote fun books. To help connect readers and writers together. It's the one of the few things that brings a smile to my face everyday. Even if its very nerdy by nature. Puns! I have many of them.

If a book or comic or game is legit entertaining to me, not trying to soapbox at me, then Ill most likely give it a gander.

Read what you want and support it. Esp if it fills a void that converged entertainment left behind. Wasn't that supposed to be the point of all the Gates so far? At this point "concerned parties" are breaking the camel's back of indie comic crowd funding.

No matter what your politics or religion is: If you are a hard working individual, wanting to put entertainment first, then good on you. I'll be looking into your work profolio soon. Consistency is important when building a career as a writer, comic creator, musician, ect.

Do it for yourself and your patrons. Share that love of creating. No matter the medium. Because its obvious "Established Corporate Creations" don't really care about their own medium outlets.

Feels like they live to please their editors or directors more then the people that actually support them at the foundational level. Usually when I'm very angry, I get very curse worthy, but I feel that's a sign of me being more honest with myself.

In any event:

I know outrage gets clicks and even from time to time I vent here but I hope that one of these entries helped someone find a book or comic they have been searching for. Even in the Age of the Internet I try my best to live by this advice from my parents: Treat Others the Way you Want to Be Treated.

It's why I also try to tip writers I enjoy very well. Via rebuys or omnibus collection resells. This patron cares and will continue to follow many people's creative projects. 




No comments:

Post a Comment