Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Balance: That's the Key.


This is the reason why we don't have a proper Superman Movie:

So many "its gotta be more realistic and gritty" type of mindset really makes for a bad superman movie. In my very biased, "please keep political and gray morality misery out of my superman" opinion.

Putting our shitty world into things ruins the aspirational or inspirational heroes. By throwing them into the muck with us, it makes them into a fictional ripoff of us and our stupid issues.


Why does JL Unlimited and all the animated stuff from before works for me vs Justice League Apokolips War.

HOPE. 

The underlining theme of Hope and Optimism was always there. It wasn't deconstructed bs. It still had the heart of what made DC heroes more popular with me then Marvels.  

Its an over abundance of:


  • Everything Sucks.
  • The Universe Sucks
  • Humanity sucks
  • The Future is doomed.
  • We are all narcissistic ass holes. 
  • Evil was Right Stories
  • X Y Or Z is Oppressed. 
Fuck that shit. 

So many things in this world revel in the "we must be realistic side". Even in comics? Space Operas? Fantastical fiction? No. If this means I just regress further into what media I read and view, then that's what it means. 

The Overall Optimism Level needs to be championed. Even in Dark City: The Sun eventually Rises in that movie. That's saying something. That ending was worth it. The Darkness Fading away to a Brighter Future. Literally. I think most modern movies forget this. There has to be light shining at the end of the tunnel.

Most of our entertainment has forgotten this.  

All the shows or other things I've enjoyed always have that same Light at the End element, that the battle or whatever else was happening was worth it, to make something better at the end.

If that means I'll mostly be reading things from the 1850s til 1980s, then that's what it means. Not all modes of progress bring true happiness or fulfillment. 

I know I sound like a broken record by now. But you know what they say about women and us fixating on things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment