Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Beginnings



The first most important thing to me, as far as reading and writing goes, have a wham bam opening. Doesn't have to be pure action but it has to have an element of mystery to hook the reader. As far as my preferences go. Don't just have characters talking, like this: Even if its critically praised I found Jade City's opening extremely boring.

 
Go look at the whole sample. It doesn't have much mystery for me to latch onto or something to get invested in. Its just providing an environmental setup for the characters to talk in. I guess that's also why I don't spend too much time in describing the area around my characters. I want to get to the point faster and have conversations with the characters when it makes sense.

I guess its cause I've also read enough sci fi and fantasy to where I don't really need too much prompting in word to form an idea of the environment. If its a futuristic city and I mention a library. Most will picture something sleek and high tech. I made it a point to mention leather-bound books in one of my issues to indicate that particular library had old style stuff for a K2 level area of Earth.

I guess its also gotten to the point where some of my tastes have changed because I don't have as much time to go on overtly lyrical adventures. I am listening to Hyperion in Audible format because right now, when I try to read it, the over abundance of description slows me down when reading. It works better as an audiobook in my opinion.

Back to beginnings:

They need a hook. Something that will drive the reader to continue. Action or mystery or even an engaging prologue to suck us in. Don't start with just character conversation. Because we arent invested in them yet.

I found that I moved certain stories in the prologue book to other sections because readers need to become engaged with the setting first. Heck, the opening for book 1 has a bit more of the mystery added in. Then it goes to our protagonists in chapt/issue 1 for that story.

I find most woke books open with mundane stuff because that's what they were taught. If that Manifesto is anything to go by. Since some SFF history has been obfuscated most readers think these kind of cookie cutter openings are just fine.

This post has all sorts of fun books you can start reading today. Find adventure!

Superversive Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment