Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Frustration



I get it, superhero prose isn't a big mind boggling hitter like LIT RPG is at the moment. I get that amazon's tag system absolutely sucks. Especially if you are a reader who loves a genre combo that is getting about as much love as a red headed stepchild.

Right now, Uplift Protocol has 20 or so consistent readers. Imagine if this genre had a bigger buffet. Most times when I find something on amazon, its rare to find stuff like Heroes Unleashed or New Olympus saga. IE: Actual series. Most superhero prose writers are lucky to hit beyond 2 books most times.

Plus the ones who have a series going: Its dark and watchmen-lite 8/10 times. With more marvel sensibilities than optimistic time DC ones. Of those, half of those are woke tripe in the vein of Marvel's Civil War I and II. Gotta put them politics on your sleeve. Bleh. IE: Just Cause series after/around book 7. (If that's people's cuppa, whatever but its not mine.)


Or they are in a super powered academy. Or just starting out. That's another reason why I am doing the prequel book before the main series hits. I gloss over some stuff, like big time training montages in order to set up basic character dynamics/relationships and setting highlights.

Very little time spent as kids or high school setup, with one chapter devoted to each of those slices. It was mostly to highlight character relationships. 

So I totally appreciate it when a series starts with adult heroes who are already beyond college. Or even just out of college level.

I guess its cause I'm also in my 30s. Really, by the time Uplift Protocol starts the main series proper, the youngest on the main team will be Star, around 29/30. Even with Prolong, that's still more interesting to me personally. (One Last Echo also has World Building and other fun things I appreciate. Yes, there is surprise pew pew type things in it......)

So Ill keep writing. Having fun, maybe by the time I publish on amazon (Might as well give it nice covers and such) the platform might evolve more. Who can say? The plan is to put things into omnibus collections. IE: Prologue, 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12.

I'm more of a hobbyist writer and will plan accordingly but that doesnt mean I don't want to see more of certain kinds of genre combos. So I vote with my wallet. + its why I have two subscriptions to Silver Empire Publishing. MOAR I SAY!

Basically:

  • I want to keep building superheroes x space opera combo
  • Find more like what I am doing even if its going to take a while
  • Find more Superhero Prose like Heroes Unleashed, One Last Echo and New Olypmus Saga
  • Optimism > Dystopia Superhero Stories
Books:

Silver Empire Lots of good stuff to choose from. Saving some credits to get even more HU Hardbacks.


No comments:

Post a Comment